• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, August 11, 2019

    Linux This is why I became a gnu/linux noob and will never go back

    Linux This is why I became a gnu/linux noob and will never go back


    This is why I became a gnu/linux noob and will never go back

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 04:18 AM PDT

    How can I automatically shut down all of my vbox virtual machines before shutting down my host machine?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 03:13 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm currently on ubuntu, but I'm looking for a distro and window manager / desktop environment independent solution for gently shutting down all of my virtual machines while turning off computer. I'm little paranoid, that something will break if I forget to shut them down and I know that virtual box machines can be controlled from terminal, so I hope there is some kind of simple solution to set up script to be executed during host machine shutdown.

    I would be grateful for help!

    submitted by /u/lord_EarlGray
    [link] [comments]

    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is loading a GUI on a remote server possible?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    So I am somehow familiar with having a remote Linux server that you can ssh into and run commands from the command line, but it is possible to set up a server that is a Remote Desktop that you can use? I've wanted to try comparing the different distributions of linux in terms of their GUIs and see which one I like, as well as having a separate workstation that I could use with more computing power than my laptop.

    submitted by /u/seabee494
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to automatically execute i3lock then turn off the display (without suspending) after 10 minutes of inactivity in i3?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 11:51 AM PDT

    I am on Manjaro Linux with i3-gaps. I tried Googling but all I found was results for how to not have the feature.

    submitted by /u/SMF67
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to mount a disk/partition to an iso file?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 01:46 PM PDT

    I want an alternative to dd if=/dev/sdx of=/somefile.iso. I'm using recovery software that can only read an iso file but I don't have the hard drive space to make a full copy of the disk I'm looking at.

    submitted by /u/pleasemrtrash
    [link] [comments]

    How to Properly Allocate Windows Partition to Ubuntu

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 01:36 PM PDT

    Hello! So, I've decided to go all in and I want to remove Windows 10 from my current dual boot with Ubuntu. What is the safest and easiest way to go about it? I installed GParted, but I do not know how I should use it. I admittedly do not really know what I'm looking at. Any help or pointers in the correct direction are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Grimnebulinwalker
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a command for linux mint to creat a folder for the termial?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 11:22 AM PDT

    Is Zorin Core 15 a good distro for a noob ?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 12:01 PM PDT

    Tell me everything you know about it please

    I'm using Ubuntu right now and I really don't like it and its memory/CPU usage. I have a i3 laptop with 4gb ram

    submitted by /u/Nandoxus
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain to me what this all means, and how I can "do it"?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 11:14 AM PDT

    I'm experimenting a bit with Linux on Intel Clovertrail. I know it probably won't work, but I want to try before I sell the tablet (or keep it if I can get Linux working). Clovertrail tablets only support UEFI/EFI and don't have legacy BIOS support, and it's only a 32-bit CPU. How can I "compile a kernel" (I think that's what I'm trying to do here) like it says on the page I linked?

    https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/x86/x86_64/uefi.txt

    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_firmware_bitness

    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows (search for "clover trail" to find the part that's important).

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/kelvinh_27
    [link] [comments]

    What are you favourite command line tools for staying in the terminal?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 02:43 PM PDT

    I am not a big fan of the old desktop gui and prefer the terminal when working through things, the only reason i use i3 is for firefox. So... I am wondering about all the magical bits I dont know about that you really like? What helps keep you on the command line.

    cmus, newsbeuter, greg, vim, transmission-cli, etcher-cli are the kinds of things I am looking to complement.

    submitted by /u/shittyanimalfacts
    [link] [comments]

    Best flavor for Grandma?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 11:06 AM PDT

    My mom- who turns 70 this year- wants to try Linux. She hasn't had a desktop for over a year now. Before that she had a Pentium (II?) running Windows 2000.

    Having grandkids has convinced her to update. She uses Excel and Word but doesn't have to send files to anyone else, so LibreOffice is an easy drop-in replacement. I'll probably buy a small webcam for her to video chat with the kids. She might try some simple picture editing, but probably not GIMP. And she's never going to use Terminal, ever.

    I was just going to get her a basic modern computer, and install Ubuntu 18.04, but I thought I'd ask the sub what's your choice for a basic user with minimal needs?

    submitted by /u/WhyHulud
    [link] [comments]

    Boot screen glitches out after installing nvidia drivers

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 06:53 AM PDT

    Hi.

    When i install nvidia drivers on fedora or any other distro after i reboot the boot animation goes away and its just an ugly background with 3 square dots and then i get to the login screen. How do i fix it.

    submitted by /u/huskyhunter24
    [link] [comments]

    Fedora 30 boot time slow on ssd

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 06:49 AM PDT

    Hi Everyone,

    I just freshly installed Fedora 30 but it seems to boot slower then debian dont know how long it took on debian but it was way faster then fedora. its like booting windows 10 from hdd. I only installed nvidia drivers.
    Thank you (:

    submitted by /u/huskyhunter24
    [link] [comments]

    Mounting And Unmounting Drives

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 01:47 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I feel like this is a very noobish question but here goes. I am currently going through some Linux tutorials and it has mentioned mounting and unmounting drives. It specifically uses a USB stick as an example. Anyway i am using Oracle Virtualbox (not the best I know), but if I add another drive to one of my Linux VM's, will this be detected like it is in Windows or will I need to mount it accordingly and hence get practice at mounting/unmounting.

    submitted by /u/x86_virtual_kernel
    [link] [comments]

    Please help Linux mint Mate system tray icons sizes and rendering look awful on third party apps

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 03:49 AM PDT

    Could someone please point me into the right direction appreciate your time and help.

    Please Help would like to know where these files are

    submitted by /u/dev3301
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to install Manjaro ends up with error list. Don't know what I'm doing wrong any help? Thanks!

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 03:46 AM PDT

    How to bulk rename of files (from file1 file2 file3 to file-1.txt file-2.txt etc...) ?! [MV is so time consuminig]

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 06:12 AM PDT

    Issue with Dual Boot Linux - [ 1.707005] Couldn't get size: 0x80000000e

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 08:11 AM PDT

    Woke up this morning to this issue, can somebody help? All I'm getting is an error, BusyBox and (initramfs). This is the second time an installation of Linux has bricked itself on my PC.

    The last time I had the error : PCIe Bus Error: severity=Uncorrected (Non-Fatal), type=Transaction Layer

    I'm running the latest version of Kubuntu on an HP Pavilion x360 laptop. Please help!

    submitted by /u/dcsoups
    [link] [comments]

    Still can't connect to university WiFi

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 11:56 AM PDT

    I've tried Fedora and Debian, KDE and Gnome. I've tried every WiFi configuration, downgrading wpa_supplicant and upgrading it. Still keeps popping up asking for username and password.

    It's a PEAP MSCHAPv2 security layer that uses our university usernames and passwords. No certificate is used, and we never have to use the campus\ domain, though I've tried it with and without. Our creds are stored in AD and this is all the info I can get out of our IT department, short of "use a real operating system". Works on Windows, Mac, Android and iPhones. Just don't know why I can never connect with Linux. I've experienced this with both universities I've attended in the US and the results are the same over the five years I've spent in college (don't judge).

    Can someone help me troubleshoot this with more than the bare minimal knowledge I have of Linux? I'll try any distro, but I felt like Fedora 30 with the latest stable kernel and Debian Buster with the latest LTS kernel were a good representation. I've also seen this problem on the latest Ubuntu LTS, though I haven't used Ubuntu myself recently.

    submitted by /u/profwumbo
    [link] [comments]

    How to record BIOS screen...

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 11:27 AM PDT

    I know this question is off topic but still asking....

    submitted by /u/mr_whoisGAMER
    [link] [comments]

    Brand new to Linux (mint) - help with SD card driver installation

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 10:57 AM PDT

    Dear all, I am a first time user of Linux and in the past week I have installed Mint to get my feet wet. Everything works great except that I would like to get more use out of the hardware currently on my HP Pavilion x360.

    For whatever reason, I can't get my SD card reader to recognise my SD card. From the past week I have learned that lspci reveals the classic ff00 line:

    Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5227 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01) 

    So after that I went down the rabbit hole of forums and learned a great deal about the Linux OS.

    I found this on github:

    https://github.com/astyonax/patched-RTS5227-5229

    And got reasonably far - despite my complete lack of knowledge. However, blacklisting an existing module doesn't seem to do anything and lsmod still reveals that the old module is loaded, which I assume is preventing my installed driver module to load.

    At this point I am completely lost - I have tried installing my driver, I've through a scary looking UEFI boot screen which I have no idea how to get back into, everything says my driver is installed, it's not beign recognised. HELP.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/this_works_fine
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to run Apache on Raspbian (segfault)

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 10:52 AM PDT

    A couple of questions, including what firewall/antivirus/malware scanner to install

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 06:18 AM PDT

    I've been trying out Fedora Cinnamon as a dual boot and looking to get info on all the necessary apps for if I try to fully switch. Fedora is much, much more of a hassle to use than I was led to believe, but I'm doing my best to give it a chance. The essentials I'm looking for are: a firewall, an antivirus and a malware scanner. Fedora being secure enough on its own is not believable.

    Secondly, how do you generally install a downloaded file, such as with a sh extension. I know about installing by dnf, but it paradoxically seems like it's a much bigger pain in the ass to install from a file that I've already downloaded.

    Thirdly, is there a linux equivalent for 7zip/winrar.

    Fourthly, how do I get a list of installed software for if I were to want to remove something and is there a gui available that makes this easier to do.

    submitted by /u/newbieworries
    [link] [comments]

    Chromecast issue - black screen followed by connection lost

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 09:18 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Chromecast works fine from my phone and and from windows. On my laptop with manjaro XFCE, I am experiencing an issue when casting a tab from Chrome, I get a black screen followed by connection lost. The issue persists after a reboot and a fresh install of Chrome from the AUR and chromium from the repositories.

    Hardware acceleration is turned off, I tried on 5 GHz connection and the default settings. I am connected to the same WiFi without a VPN aUsing the default XFCE network manager. I tried kernel 5.1 and 4.19 (not sure if that should make a difference).

    To solve the problem, I have to power off chromecast, restart my wireless router, then power up chromecast. The issue is fixed until the laptop goes to sleep or until its rebooted a couple times.

    I did experienced the same issue In Linux mint on a different device, but it was resolved somehow and I don't recall doing much troubleshooting, it just kind of started working.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/dedlaw1
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot set up WiFi on Void Linix after router change

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    So I got a new router and am trying to connect to it, I have only bash so this is what I do: wpa_passphrase SSID passwd >> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Then I link dhcpcd to /var/service and create hooks. Then I try sv restart dhcpcd and everything should work I think but it doesn't, but I know this is exactly what I did for previous router because I have written it down. I also removed old router info from the supplicant file. What am I missing? Sorry about formating, I'm on mobile.

    submitted by /u/medvedimasha
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel