• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, August 9, 2019

    Linux Some questions about X11/Xorg and Wayland

    Linux Some questions about X11/Xorg and Wayland


    Some questions about X11/Xorg and Wayland

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 11:39 AM PDT

    • I see people compare Xorg to Wayland but shouldn't X11 be compared to Wayland since they're the display protocols while Xorg is the display server?

    • is Xorg still the display server if using Wayland?

    • do some applications default run using X11 even if you choose a Wayland session on the user sign-in page?

    • does using either X11/Wayland with different display managers and DE cause issues?

    • I've read that Xorg is run as root, leaving the possibility for applications to read and access other applications under root privilege. But that is avoided with Wayland? And why?

    submitted by /u/bogdan_bogdan
    [link] [comments]

    UBUNTU 18.04.3 LTS IS RELEASED FROM CANONICAL

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 12:44 AM PDT

    Ubuntu gamepack black screen on boot

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 09:05 AM PDT

    Recently I swapped from windows to Ubuntu gamepack, (I believe it's based on Ubuntu 16.04) but after updating graphics drivers and rebooting, I was dumped into a black screen, and nothing works. I've tried Ctrl + alt + f1, shift during boot, and nothing works. I'm really trying to avoid reinstalling but that seems like my only option.

    System specs are: Intel Xeon X5670 - cpu Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R - Mobo Nvidia GTX 1080 - gpu 24gb ram, it's a bit of a mitch-match but worked well before Booting from dual Hitachi 320gb hard drives in raid zero (bios configured)

    Thanks for any help in advance!

    submitted by /u/natspy10
    [link] [comments]

    No internet on USB adapter

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 08:42 AM PDT

    Using Mint 19.2. No other OS. Built in wifi/BT is working without any issues however my USB Wireless AC Adapter was working fine for the last 4 days.

    This Morning it is connected and getting an ip address but for some reason cannot access any sites. Using DHCP or Static does not make a difference.

    I have tried;

    1. Removing and reinstalling driver.
    2. Completely resetting adapter.
    3. Searched for new driver. RTL8821AU.

    Not sure what else to do. Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/WyzrdX
    [link] [comments]

    Another composite manager is already running when trying to execute Compton

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 01:53 PM PDT

    I'm currently on Ubuntu 19.04 with i3wm as a DE.

    I tried installing Tyrone's fork of compton and to see if it was working i tried running compton in the terminal.

    I get the message

    > get_cfg(): Blur method 'kawase' is incompatible with the XRender backend. Fall back to default.

    Another composite manager is already running

    which is very confusing as other programs have failed to detect a compositor previously, and I have removed mutter.

    submitted by /u/Novicus
    [link] [comments]

    I need help or a point in the right direction.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 01:33 PM PDT

    Looking for comparable programs for Linux to help me game with my health woes

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 09:14 PM PDT

    I'm on disability due to chronic pain and this means that most of the time, I have to play games from my bed.

    I have my PC on a desk with a standard monitor, and a TV near it connected to the PC via HDMI.

    When I'm able, I prefer sitting at the PC, so I don't want to do a permanent solution that makes the TV the default.

    I've recently made the switch to Linux, and I love it. I really need a way to do what the below programs do though, to make gaming from bed without having to keep getting up to use the keyboard possible.

    Here is what I used to do on Windows. I use my monitor and TV in extend mode. The default monitor profile has the monitor as the primary display.

    • Click back + Xbox button on my controller: This uses monitor profile switcher to switch the monitor profile to using the TV as the primary monitor. So any games launched will display on the TV, rather than the monitor.
    • Click back + x: This uses sound switch to set my current audio output device to the TV.
    • Click back + left L3: this opens playnite, which lets me pick any of my steam games or emulated games via the Xbox controller.

    These macros are done via executing keyboard hotkeys via controller companion.

    I also have inverse macros for the controller to set the primary display and audio output to be set to the monitor again. For when I want to switch it back.

    This all worked great using the programs listed below. But I want to move away from Windows for good, I don't need to explain it to you guys.

    Programs used:

    Hardware/misc:

    • i7 4790k
    • RX Vega 56
    • 20gb ram
    • Ubuntu 18.04

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

    submitted by /u/ThatAnnoyedGuy
    [link] [comments]

    need help using shh to connect to Ubuntu server from Ubuntu desktop. both a VM.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 07:53 AM PDT

    First I set up a static IP on Ubuntu Server using netplan and applied it...

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18OFm1ITsqpR2udcrycp7SmQBnffHwkw_/view?usp=drivesdk

    Im running Ubuntu server and Ubuntu desktop on Virtualbox for testing/experimenting purposes to learn linux. Since they're on VM they seemed to be sharing the same IP? which was 10.0.2.15, so I set the static IP for the server as 10.0.2.16 . Ive already installed ssh on both systems.

    When I try to ssh in 10.0.2.16 I get a "no route to host" message. Ive already made sure the port 22 isnt being blocked on the Server. When I reload ufw is said that the fire wall was not enabled.

    not sure if this is a VM thing, or im doing something wrong.

    When I ping it I get this...

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/19XxJoza9BF95cmafWhmYPAq0k5sNbtA4/view?usp=drivesdk

    submitted by /u/ArAMITAS
    [link] [comments]

    How do I reinstall Gnome in debian 10?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 10:58 AM PDT

    Manjaro KDE, mouse using evdev. Switch to libinput?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 07:23 AM PDT

    Hi, i've been using Manjaro for the last couple of days and everything was great. today I start my computer and I notice that the sensitivity has gone way up (my mouse is a logitech g502 btw) so I go to the input settings and I find out that they changed overnight. Before I had the acceleration on Flat while now I don't even have the option to disable the acceleration. Anyway I used the command "grep 'input' /var/log/Xorg.0.log" and I noticed that the mouse is using the evdev drivers instead of the libinput ones. how do I switch the drivers in use? also notice that I already have libinput installed.

    submitted by /u/Armandik-
    [link] [comments]

    Choosing a flavour vs. installing a DE afterwards

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 05:26 AM PDT

    Hey Folks, I'm transitioning to Manjaro at the moment, and I just wondered: is there any difference between installing the Mate Edition of Manjaro vs. installing Mate afterwards? Do both of these possibilities provide me with the same Mate experience? If not, what is different? I think there could be some preconfigurations or packages bundled in the mate edition that are not part of the mate desktop you can get from the repo...

    submitted by /u/AlrightLeDiscoPanda
    [link] [comments]

    Properly installing Java on AntiX Linux

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 12:42 PM PDT

    I wanted to install Java on AntiX Linux to play Minecraft on it, and I did, but there is no option to run a .jar file. I followed this guide: https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/debian/how-to-install-oracle-java-8-on-debian-9-ubuntu-linux-mint.html#Install_Oracle_Java . Am I missing something? Do I need to install something else?

    submitted by /u/My-Uncle-Touched-Me
    [link] [comments]

    No wifi adapter found. How to fix? I've tried restarting network manager. Ubuntu 18.04

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 12:28 PM PDT

    I’m installing Mint on my 2011 iMac. Installation wizard keeps getting stuck here, eventually doing something, and immediately comes back to “new request (2 scripts),” and “start running ordered scripts”. I’m dual booting, if that helps.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 12:06 PM PDT

    Backup problems with Ubuntu 18.04

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 01:30 AM PDT

    I am running Ubuntu 18.04 on my desktop pc - been stable for a long time then, a week ago, out of the blue, won't backup anymore - get the following messages:

    "Backup Failed - failed with an unknown error" and this report below it:

    Traceback (innermost last):

    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1555, in <module>

    with_tempdir(main)

    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1541, in with_tempdir

    fn()

    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1393, in main

    do_backup(action)

    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1516, in do_backup

    full_backup(col_stats)

    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 572, in full_backup

    globals.backend)

    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 454, in write_multivol

    (tdp, dest_filename, vol_num)))

    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/asyncscheduler.py", line 146, in schedule_task

    return self.__run_synchronously(fn, params)

    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/asyncscheduler.py", line 172, in __run_synchronously

    ret = fn(*params)

    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 453, in <lambda>

    vol_num: put(tdp, dest_filename, vol_num),

    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 342, in put

    backend.put(tdp, dest_filename)

    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py", line 395, in inner_retry

    % (n, e.__class__.__name__, util.uexc(e)))

    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/util.py", line 79, in uexc

    return ufn(unicode(e).encode('utf-8'))

    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 37: ordinal not in range(128)

    I am using the Backup app that came in the Ubuntu 18.04 package and backing up to an external HDD (Toshiba 2 Tb). As I say, it has been working fine until a week or so ago.

    Thank you for your time and help (in anticipation).

    Sincerely

    Duncan

    submitted by /u/Duncan1949
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi isn't working and I don't understand this fix

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 11:13 AM PDT

    I am using Debian 10 Buster on an XPS 13 (9380)

    For the first day or so the wifi worked fine but it has since stopped working. I have been using https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell/Dell_XPS_13_9380 to fix this but don't understand what it wants me to do. I'm not even sure if it would fix my problem. If someone could give me a step by step or a better explanation that would be greatly appreciated.

    Further notes on my situation:

    • Wifi networks appear but trying to connect to them just prompts me for the password endlessly (yes I entered the correct password)
    • I have QCA6174
    submitted by /u/Pallor_
    [link] [comments]

    Two of the most popular distros (Ubuntu and Manjaro) have been controversial. Should I avoid these?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 11:11 AM PDT

    Issue with Ubuntu: removal of 32-bit support

    Issue with Manjaro: FreeOffice

    I'm currently running Kubuntu right now (I like KDE)

    I'm currently running Kubuntu 19.04, and tried Manjaro-18.1-rc7-kde just recently. Should I switch to another distro? If yes, any suggestions? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/VincentJoshuaET
    [link] [comments]

    Connecting the standard folders for music, videos to other folders on a differnt drive? (Ubuntu 19.04)?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    So in Nautilus there are the standard folders for music, videos, pictures and such. I have Ubuntu installed on my SSD and on my HDD I have folders with all my music, videos, pictures. Is there a way to redirect the folders in Nautilus to the HDD folders? I know that it's possible in windows

    submitted by /u/nalk1710
    [link] [comments]

    Rolling distribution vs non rolling

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 02:20 AM PDT

    If you use a non rolling distribution how long does it take on average for new software updates to arrive vs a rolling release. I use Ubuntu for half a year now and want to switch but I don't know if I want a rolling distribution

    submitted by /u/bootje_wolf
    [link] [comments]

    Just did a clean Arch install with Ly as display manager and i3wm. How to fix this?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 09:47 AM PDT

    i do not understand how to install these

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 05:32 AM PDT

    Noob needs held dual booting linux mint

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 04:58 AM PDT

    As the title suggests I have been trying to get linux mint (previously tried ubuntu) to dual boot on my laptop but to no avail. I keep getting no such device has been found errors. Secure boot is disabled and I installed linux of a live USB. The distro is installed on a 128gb SD card as the laptop dosent have space for other expandable storage (Asus T100HAN)

    I have attached the grub screen I get when i boot into linux. Windows functions as normal.

    https://i.redd.it/vbnv4i2hxef31.jpg

    submitted by /u/KJzl
    [link] [comments]

    swap partition error

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 12:51 AM PDT

    I'm running debian buster in a dual boot setup and since yesterday i've been getting the following errors on boot

    print_req_error: i/o error dev sda

    buffer i/o error dev sda6

    sda6 is my swap partition, and after investigating i found out that it has a UUID in fstab, but it doesn't have one in blkid. The system spends about 2 minutes at boot trying to start that UUID

    on top of that, the swap appears unavailabe in the gnome system monitor

    what is the best way to fix this? remove the swap and recreate it from gparted? or is there another way to reassign the UUID of the swap? will a simple fsck fix this?

    update: eventually i just deleted and recreated swap partition from gparted, for some reason it got corrupted and the system was not able to use it or even mounted, it didn't have a UUID assigned to it. reconfiguring it solved the issue

    submitted by /u/JustAnotherToxicDude
    [link] [comments]

    [Crosspost from r/gentoo] Kernel failing to compile

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 07:47 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel