• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, August 11, 2019

    IT Career First Day

    IT Career First Day


    First Day

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 07:38 AM PDT

    Well, tomorrow is my first day of my first IT job. Wish me luck because I'm pretty sure I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

    submitted by /u/bringparka
    [link] [comments]

    When asked for salary expectations Do Not Give A Number

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 04:56 AM PDT

    How do you balance "trying to figure it out yourself" vs. "asking"?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 06:46 AM PDT

    Hi dear community.

    Today I'm interested in knowing what you think about this. I think we struggle the most with this when we're learning something new or just got a job and are getting the hang of it.

    If you try to figure it out yourself every time that's great 'cause you're a responsible, self-taught, autonomous employee who doesn't need to be micro-managed. BUT, if you try to figure it out yourself, and you don't ask questions, and you take a long ass time to do something, especially when it's an easy as fuck task... Then it kinda sounds like you don't care about your project's successful completion and you were too proud to ask your peers.

    I don't think I need to explain that the other extreme isn't good either.

    How do you guys make this.. kind of judgement call?

    Ideally I think a boss wants to know you tried hard and asked only after you tried everything, but I'm talking more about those stupid things that sometimes prevent you from starting...

    Example: the other day I was sent an exercise to do in Salesforce as part of a selection process. It was easy as fuck because it was just to get familiar, I wasn't gonna use it in my role. I understood the task and it was super easy but I just didn't understand how to start. I couldn't find my "blank sheet" or whatever. I tried to figure it out for like 2 or 3 days, asked Salesforce support and as it turned out, the company that sent me the exercise had forgotten to give me the permissions/access needed to perform the task.......

    submitted by /u/fsartori
    [link] [comments]

    Awesome new opportunity starting to look like it might be a nightmare.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 07:28 AM PDT

    My boss's boss left my current company about six months ago. He and I got along pretty well and he always had very good things to say about me. I made sure to send him a nice message on his last day wishing him well in the future and he responded with the same.

    Here we are six months later and he contacts me with an awesome job opportunity. Im currently working service desk and he is going to put me as a service desk / junior system admin for his company. Its a small company with less than 100 folks and he and I would be the sole IT people. Its an opportunity to build a company's infrastructure up from 0 and learn a HELL of a lot of info and get the job experience I've desperately wanted to help me make the jump to system admin in future gigs. Oh and the job comes with a marginal pay increase. Bout 5,000 a year over what Im making now.

    There's just one issue. Every single person I've spoken to at my current company hates this guy. I'd seen him make a few questionable decisions but some of the things I've heard from the current staff are pretty damning.

    My personal experience with him was him making rash judgments. IE if a user said his staff fucked something up he wouldn't even talk to the staff before ripping heads and tearing into people.

    I've learned in the last 24/h that hes made people work on sick days. Pull extensive overtime with no compensation or comp time and promised someone a very nice raise and then only came through with 20% of what was promised. I literally cant find a single person to say one good thing about working for this man at my current company.

    All of these people are folks I trust and have solid relationships with.

    So now I have a horrible choice to make. My current company has 0 possibility of promotion. System admin roles are filled and future positions will be outsourced. My current boss is awesome but he cant really do much for me and has encouraged me to look elsewhere if its best for my career and family.

    However this job would be amazing for my career but I'm most likely going to be working for a complete asshole. That being said if I can suck it up and complete a year here or more then my career will be elevated immensely.

    I have tried looking for other positions but the jump from help desk to system admin has been a challenging one. Anyone else been in a position like this? Any advice one can give?

    submitted by /u/ITTossed
    [link] [comments]

    How can I lower stress in an IT work place?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 06:40 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, so I work in IT, mostly with developers, business analysts etc. They're great people but they have soooo much work, and a lot have become very stressed.

    Unfortunately my manager won't allow me to help them (work with them), so I've just been bringing things like chocolates and stuff to work. Its helped a little and sometimes people will come and have a chat and its made them relax a bit, but its still a bit of an issue. Anyone know any ways I can help lower the stress, particularly in the IT field?

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/eitherrideordie
    [link] [comments]

    In a Weird Situation What Should I Do!

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 04:38 PM PDT

    I work for a school where there are a team of 20 IT persons at the main office. I work at one of the remote offices where it was just me and my boss. I work as a computer tech and (N+, MCSA, CCNA,) are some of my skill sets/certs. A few months back my boss passed away leaving me as the sole IT person for the office of about 600 persons to support.

    It has been 4 months since my boss's passing and I have heard next to nothing from Hr, I heard from my director once, my work load has tripped since since his passing, I now have 2 remote offices I am expected to manage and have heard next to nothing from hr as to when a replacement technician will be hired or if I will get a pay raise now that all of the work load has fallen to me. What Should I do?

    submitted by /u/SteelersBahamas
    [link] [comments]

    Starting IT degree, only need about 2 years for BS because general classes are done. What can I do in addition to maximize high salary potential after I graduate?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 08:24 AM PDT

    What I mean by this is where/what certifications can I do to maximize my job potential for when I graduate in about two years? I also have a secret security clearance from the military so will that help?

    submitted by /u/halfam
    [link] [comments]

    Information Technology.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 09:40 AM PDT

    don't know if i can post these type of topic here but, im starting my freshmen college next week and i decided to take information technology as my course, do you guys have any tips for me to maybe prevent me from changing my course mid semester?

    any things i should keep in mind?

    submitted by /u/raphaele444
    [link] [comments]

    "Foundations" type job to get into security.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 09:30 AM PDT

    tl;dr: Looking for an entry point job that leads to security with no job background, but I have the education.

    I recently graduated with a BS in IT Security, just sort of an "all-around" degree (should have gone CS, but hey, 20/20 right?). Anyway. I eventually want to become a pentester. I have Linux+, Sec+, CCNA R&S, and CCNA Sec (among other less relevant ones) and my next goal is OSCP.

    But, I have no career experience. I currently do L1 tech support for a cloud based web app but it's for end users, so I know very little of cloud operations, DevOps, etc. I've been looking into junior security analysts jobs but I'm finding they're very far and few between.

    So to the main question. What should I look for as a more available entry point? Is there like junior sysadmin or...? I'm not too sure. I think IT help desk would sort of help, but not be much different than what I'm doing now. Trying to fast track as much as possible. Thanks for any insight!

    submitted by /u/luc1d_13
    [link] [comments]

    Is it time to leave my job?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 10:12 AM PDT

    So, it's gotten to the point where I dread going to work at all. I work for a non-profit. It's my first IT job. When I first started, it was just me and the sys admin supporting 200+ users (several satellite offices)...but now, I'm the only full-time person and a temporary helpdesk guy. Due to funding, we've had several helpdesk individuals assisting. The guy we have now is the best and I honestly see him being my replacement. I just want to put in my 2 weeks notice already. I don't yet have a role in mind, but I've been talking to different recruiters...

    I'm feeling super burned out, having to work on projects and being the sole person responsible....I just feel like I don't know enough to do this job. Company isn't looking to give us actual training. So our phone vendor has us upgrading from PRI to SIP, but company is balking at the price, so having to speak to different vendors.. while phone vendor keeps harassing me but my hands are tied...Company also wants to move to cloud file server (for DR and because people don't want to maintain the remote desktop server)....

    At first, it was fine because I got to learn more but now I'm just really ....exhausted from messing up.

    What's really got me looking for another job was the last bonus which was just an increase of $1200 from the year before which is total crap. But given that people are getting laid off due to funding...

    I already told my immediate manager that I'm leaving sometime this year, so I don't really feel that invested in doing all these projects. I mean, obviously I'll keep on doing my job but the latest f***ups just have me really bummed.

    Sorry for the rant.

    submitted by /u/pythonQu
    [link] [comments]

    US Expats in Germany

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 04:14 AM PDT

    Can any US expats to Germany tell me their story finding work in IT there? I am considering relocating to Berlin within 3 years of graduation.

    I've studied abroad in Berlin before and I have an understanding of German culture. By the time I graduate I will have 2.5 years of experience in various IT fields (QA, tech support, DevOps), will have an AWS Dev or SysOps Associate certification, and I can expect to reach B2 level of fluency in German. I currently work for an international company based in Germany so I may be able to use that to my advantage in this situation.

    I know this seems insane but I would rather take risks earlier in my career when I can recover more easily.

    submitted by /u/Shower_Handel
    [link] [comments]

    Starting a new job feeling out of my depth.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 11:03 PM PDT

    Decided a couple years back to make myself marketable in IT this equaled picking up an AS in CIS and BA, getting a Comp A+ and working at Geek Squad at the beginning of the year. After 6 months at geek squad got an email from indeed talking about entry level help desk for pay bump and full time. I didn't feel like an expert at geek squad yet but I figured I'd take my shot two interviews later I've accepted my position and started my new job. There's an office emails, team my own computer my own desk. My boss is explaining a bit more about the company and honestly a fair bit is going over my head. I just feel way out of my depth like they expect me to know things that I just don't yet. Hell a week ago I'd still ask my geek squad co workers advice on certain issues. Is this normal for breaking into IT? What should I focus on or keep in mind for the first 6 months?

    submitted by /u/ZaneSeven
    [link] [comments]

    How can I prepare for my an in-person IT interview?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 05:19 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. So I am a recent graduate, and after several phone interviews for different companies, I have just been asked to come in person for an interview. I have no prior internship or IT job experience, yet after an hour long phone call, the manager still invited me to speak with him in person. He mentioned he wants to speak with me further and would probably assess me through some technical questions. This role doesn't involve much coding. It is mostly troubleshooting devices, creating system images, and updating technical documentation. That kind of stuff.

    I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to interviews because there is a lot of pressure on me to get a job. I just wanted to ask if anyone can please give me some guidance, or if you can show me any resources available which I can look at that might help me in an interview with this type of role. I have about a week to study. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/githebaron1
    [link] [comments]

    Is becoming a database administration a good career move?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 10:32 PM PDT

    I am wondering reddit's thoughts on this.

    My background: I am currently what is called a software development engineer in test, but I am not really loving the job. I spend about 1/3 of my time or less doing some real coding (java to make improvements on our framework and sql for data analysis/troubleshooting of test data), and the rest just using the automation software to create automated versions of our manual application tests. On top of this, my team is mostly outsourced in india and not very communicative, so I am barely learning or interacting from anyone or given new challenges I can run with that help me grow. I know that I do not want to stay in QA, but I also don't feel that I am a skilled enough developer or motivated to become a traditional software engineer. I have a BS in IT and I have a few years working development support roles in front end web development, some backend, linux, and I am competent with most of it.

    But SQL is where I shine. I just seem to get things when thinking from a querying perspective, joining and moving large data sets around, troubleshooting database related problems, or figuring out data quality issues. In my past jobs I have usually been the guy on the team people go to for sql-related questions and projects, etc. With something like java, I can usually make things work with a lot of time and trial and errors, but with SQL I feel very fluent and able to do very well with some complicated projects.

    So due to my current meh feelings about my current job, This brings me to a job I feel I am very close to getting an offer for a level 3 SQL Server DBA. In my mind this is the perfect job for me since I feel sql and troubleshooting are my two strengths, and that seems to be mostly what it will be.

    But my concern is that I have read some things that this is a "dying" field, that with the move to the cloud, databases are much more self managed/automated. I have also read about roles like dev ops, cloud administrator, or data security engineer, which seem to use sql and DBA as a component along with scripting and knowledge of cloud infrastructure, and I can see myself eventually moving into that type of role if sql database admins are dying.

    So my question is, does this seem like a decent move? Are DBAs considered to have transferable skills to other jobs (business analysts, software development, system administrators), or is it kind viewed more like an island that you die on?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/megasmolpupper
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I take online courses for CompTIA A+ ?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 06:22 PM PDT

    what are some reliable sources to achieve the CompTIA A+?

    submitted by /u/vswizz99
    [link] [comments]

    Working on Getting Security +, Should I put pending certs on my resume?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 09:07 PM PDT

    Something like "ComTia Security (in progress)" ?

    I know this may be a dumb question so please take it easy lol

    submitted by /u/suckmyazz
    [link] [comments]

    What is ideal to know for a Network Engineering department internship?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 09:52 PM PDT

    I have a phone interview on the table. But admittedly, I just applied on a whim. I'm not very knowledgeable. Any tips for the phone interview? And anything I can brush up on before I have to really impress them?

    submitted by /u/MillenniumGreed
    [link] [comments]

    Just started my first help desk job

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 07:45 PM PDT

    So I just started today and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips on how to pass the competency test and just tips in general! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/thehunter74
    [link] [comments]

    WGU Question: Which would be more marketable/command a higher starting salary: BS Cloud/Systems Admin, or BS Networking & Security?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 05:17 PM PDT

    I have IT experience and a previous Bachelors in Art/Game Design. I originally applied for CS because it's what most managers want but I'm more interested in the subjects of the other two.

    My last two jobs hinted that they might be able to give me a raise if my education and background were more relevant to the job, which is why I'm looking into this in the first place.

    I've noticed that the Net/Security BS comes with a CCNA, and the Cloud/Systems BS comes with the AWS Sysops cert, but in general, which of these degree programs would be most likely to let me hit the ground running?

    Currently I'm living in an area where you can have all the experience you need but without a degree or certs nobody's going to give your resume a second glance. Some of my friends and other alums from my Game Design program did the second BS from UMass Lowell Online and were able to find work afterward, but WGU seems like a better investment because it covers more practical information and comes with certs.

    submitted by /u/WITCH_KING_XXYBORG
    [link] [comments]

    Which IT certificate would be best to study during sem break for an IT entry role?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:15 PM PDT

    I'm thinking right now which IT certificate would be best to study during my sem break and take an exam before school starts.

    If CCNA, would it be worth it knowing I would continue my studies after sem break? Also taking the CCNA test before Feb revision is a big plus.

    If A+, I heard the expiration date is an issue with CompTIA certificates. Do companies still value A+?

    If MCSE, would you recommend this? I haven't seen much companies desiring this certificate.

    I'm also interested in learning AWS services, which IT certification to focus on?

    Or which others would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/NixothePaladin
    [link] [comments]

    Linux in VM on Windows or Windows VM on Linux? For learning, coding, experimenting...

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 10:45 AM PDT

    I have a laptop I dualboot with linux and windows 10. It has 500 GB SSD. I hardly ever boot into windows and the few times I do, I think wine or a windows VM would work just fine.

    However, as a IT professional, should I try to keep using windows? I don't game on the laptop and that's the biggest reason why most suggest to keep it.

    What OS do you run on your computer? The benefit of running windows is that it just works on my thinkpad, while linux needs some adjustments and tends to run down my battery faster. I hardly use Windows 10 though, but if needed Im guessing running Access, word, etc on a VM isnt ideal.

    The other problem is just storage. 500 GB isnt much and Im already at the point where I wish I could just have 500 GB for one of the OSs instead of splitting it.

    I got 24 memory so I have plenty to devote to a VM if needed.

    What do you guys prefer?

    submitted by /u/ArAMITAS
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel