• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, August 12, 2019

    Home Networking Should I use a patch panel?

    Home Networking Should I use a patch panel?


    Should I use a patch panel?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 03:35 PM PDT

    Home networking novice here. Am in the process of building a house that will have quite a few ethernet runs. The installer charges the same amount if I have them terminate everything in a patch panel or with rj45s. Can someone shed some light on the correct way to go with this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/5150-5150
    [link] [comments]

    Short term UK WiFi contracts and the consequences of cancelling your contract early

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 06:57 AM PDT

    I'm moving to England for a few months and need a decent WiFi connection (20mb+) while I'm there to work online. But everywhere I look, the UK seems to only have wifi contacts for 12 months or higher. Getting a mobile data plan isn't an option as having a broadband connection is something they check for. So I've got some questions.

    1) Can I get a wifi contract for like 3 - 6 months?

    2) What happens if I sign up for a 12 month contract and then after about 4 months I cancel? Will I just have to pay for the unused months?

    Thanks everyone.

    submitted by /u/ScottSaw
    [link] [comments]

    How can I maximize the WiFi speed of my Nighthawk AC1900 and Netgear CM1000?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 06:15 PM PDT

    I didn't learn until now that it isn't really possible to get Gigabit WiFi with current consumer devices and I'm overpaying on this new Gigabit service since I don't have any hardwired devices. So I need to downgrade my Xfinity service to either 250Mbps or 400Mbps.

    Right now I'm getting about 290Mbps over WiFi. If I can tweak it enough to get near 400Mbps, that'd be optimal. Anyone have a similar setup and can suggest what I can to do?

    submitted by /u/randomaltname
    [link] [comments]

    Which Router????

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 06:00 PM PDT

    Home is 4000sqft 2 floors. Must support 1gig speeds. AmpliFi? Netgear Orbi/Ultra Performance? Or EdgeRourer? If you have other suggestions please link via amazon.

    submitted by /u/KhrisGotSKillz
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi marketing

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 09:28 PM PDT

    Dear I want to do wifi marketing. counter 150 people simultaneously. You support services and equipment to help you see which types are used, how much it costs. Thank you

    submitted by /u/SteveHuynh
    [link] [comments]

    New Asus 3100 what to flash with

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 09:08 PM PDT

    Well 6 year old netgear router died and had to emergency buy one. Went down to the local BB and picked up an Asus AC3100. Only had it for about 3 days, but so far covers my entire house just fine and speed is great.

    Anyhow I had my netgear flashed with DD-WRT so that I could see the daily WAN download amounts. Also used yamon sometimes. So I hook up this new router only to realize it looks like you have send all its data to trend micro in order to get any reporting.

    So what I'm wondering is looking at DD-WRTs site they support this model as does ASUS-merlin. The merlin screenshots appear to show me everything I would like to see, download total by day, by device, and I think app etc. I am "assuming" that the DD-WRT also does this? Couldn't find any screenshots.

    It looks like both sites FW downloads have been updated in the last 3 weeks. Anyone have any suggestions on which direction to go with this? Merlin or DD wise. I don't do anything crazy and most of the stuff in here I really dont understand but I would like much better reporting and would rather not have to setup yamon again.

    thx

    submitted by /u/caritobito
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to hang ethernet cable from ceiling?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:21 PM PDT

    Got sick of using WIFI and want to use an ethernet cable. I'm going to run it from the router/modem in my living room into my room through the basement. I don't want to drill holes and zip tie it so I was considering staples but need to find ones that have enough clearance for the cord, or duct taping it up which would look very ugly.

    submitted by /u/_Spanish_Inquistion
    [link] [comments]

    would these routers be able to handel a 500mbps connection?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    (posted on r/cordcutters but am looking for as much advice as possible)

    I'm helping my brother out who just moved into an apartment with his internet service. He chose to go with the 150mbps plan they offer but isn't sure whether he will upgrade up to their 400mbps plan in the future. I've looked at some modems and am having difficulty deciding on one that is going to be future proof (he doesn't plan to go gigabit because they are changing 300/mo for that). He's looking for a modem capable of at least 500mbps down (doesn't care about the upload). He needs only a modem, not a gateway. I've looked at a couple of modems so far but don't know if they are going to be able to handle at least 500mbps. Here are some I've looked at so far, (please LMK if these can handle 500)

    Netgear CM600-100NAS 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0

    Linksys 24x8 Cable Modem DOCSIS 3.0 CM3024
    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/xannax159
    [link] [comments]

    Access Point says channel is at 71% utilization but.. it’s the only AP in the House on Channel 11

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 07:53 PM PDT

    Tp Link recently updated their Omada app so it shows how much interference/use is present on a channel.

    My WiFi is separated to three SSIDs—"family" "guest" and "smart devices." Smart devices and guest are only 2.4ghz. There's only nine 2.4ghz devices connected in total across 4 APs...

    I have 4 APs (EAP225v3) — office upstairs, other end of the house upstairs, downstairs, and the front yard/garage. This is the only AP on channel 11.

    I have 4x chromecast audio, 1x chromecast, 1 Sony smart speaker, 1x Fire tv stick, 1x Fire tablet, 1x tv.

    Is there something that could cause this? A giant portion of the use is "received frames."

    Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/ok31oIL

    submitted by /u/RRPDX2016
    [link] [comments]

    ASUS AC88U vs switch and AP

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 07:42 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I like the AC88U mostly because it have 8 ports, but I am also considering a access point Ubiquiti as they are know for good products and a switch.

    What you guys think.

    I already have a ASUS router on the front of the house, looking to add more WiFi coverage to the back plus extra Ethernet ports. I have a total of 31 devices connected to my WiFi router right now.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/inxider
    [link] [comments]

    Patch panel to switch patch cable length

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 07:32 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am trying to fix my rack. I have a 12U wall mount rack. Mounted almost at the ceiling. I do not have pictures to share yet (I am ashamed) but when I finish I will show the before and after.

    • In the rack I have a DVR mounted in a tray.
    • A coax patch panel for my cameras.
    • A tray with a power supply for my two home brew firewalls
    • Two mini super micro computers running OpenBSD on a rack mount enclosure. (one sits idle)
    • A Dell PowerEdge R220
    • A cyber power UPS
    • On a tray, I have a Ubiquiti CloudKeyG2 and a CloudKeyG2+ (future replacement of the DVR) (I will get the mount rack opts soon)
    • A USG hanging on a side
    • A 8port tplink hanging on yet another side for the DMZ
    • A 16-Port PoE+ Ubiquiti switch.

    The USG fell short as I want to have IPS and my internet is 200mbps. So I have a USG-Pro on its way.

    Also on its way: a 48 Port patch panel

    In the future, a 24 Port PoE+ Switch so I can connect 24 IP cameras and remove the analog DVR.

    Also in the future, replace the CyberPower UPS with a double conversion UPS so it can play nicely with my PowerWall

    I will place the 24 port switch at the top

    Followed by the 48 port patch panel

    Then the 16 port switch

    I would like to connect from the switches to the patch panels using short patch cables. Small loops from point A to point B without any sort of cable management...

    What would be a good length for the cables? 0.5ft seems too short. 1ft too long... Do I really need to make my own cables or can I get a set of cables already cut to length. It seems that it is a common problem...

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/tivericks
    [link] [comments]

    Is wifi mesh more than just multiple wifi routers with the same SSID and password? For me it sounds like a marketing thing...

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 11:48 AM PDT

    Using a MoCa, I am able to use my WiFi on my ASUS RT-AC87U, but no Ethernet connection

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 06:59 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I have just recently upgraded to 1 gigabit. However, all the networks are in the basement and we are only able to use coaxial since we have an older house. I have purchased a MOCA adapter, specifically the Actiontec ones from BestBuy. I have been able to set it up after 2 hours of troubleshooting. Now that I am able to connect my Asus to Verizon, I am able to use Wifi on it, but no ethernet. My set up is: ONT > Splitter to Verizon Wifi & Coaxial on the wall > coaxial to MOCA > MOCA Connects to TV using the TV output > Using the ethernet to my Asus router. I am able to see no problems on the router, but ethernet seems to not be working.

    submitted by /u/WhereIsMyNerf
    [link] [comments]

    Small ethernet network plan

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 05:31 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I'm current using a WiFi network at my home and I´m planning to change it to ethernet. The modem+router combo is on my rrom, where my PC is at and I want to run some cables through the wall to the living room to connect other devices, like my receiver, streamer box, Playstation, etc.

    I'm a novice at this so I'm researching what I will need to buy. So I'd like to know from you guys if I'm going in the right direction and maybe some gear recommendations.

    Here's what I'm buying (link with examples):

    I'll only need to run the cables through one wall.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/w_kovac
    [link] [comments]

    Odd issue with Xfinity.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 05:10 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the right sub to seek answers for this problem but here it is, the perplexing problem I'm having with my internet. (In an apartment btw, might be relevant later down the post).

    • Internet (tried wifi and ethernet) on my desktop barely works. It will load Google searches and a few applications, but any other webpage will timeout.

    • Windows troubleshooting says there is "more than one active network connection" on my computer" though I'm sure there isn't.

    • Going to 192.168.1.1 or xfinity.com/myxfi gives a page saying "This device is paused or in bedtime mode."

    Here's where things get weird...

    • Wifi on my phone works. I can go to the xfi page and see there's no pause or bedtime mode on my desktop.

    • However there are a multitide of unknown devices on my network that joined ~10 minutes before the issues started.

    • They are around a half dozen ArrisGro router things connected via MoCA as well as some Apple products like iPads and Macbooks.

    I've tried the standard internet fixing stuff but no luck so far. Does anyone know what's going on? I don't know much about networking but given the above, are the apartment's coaxial lines somehow messed up and connecting people's modems together? Thanks for any insight into this.

    Edit: And now it no longer works on my phone

    submitted by /u/xShiroto
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think about the Asus RT-AC68U router?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 05:05 PM PDT

    I don't have a decent router and I'm thinking about this router Do you have anyother recommendations or advices?

    submitted by /u/Sa_GamEs12
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie question: TP Archer A7 AC1750 > Mikrotik or ubiquiti instant at 1167mbps throughput? What determines quality besides mbps?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    Potentially just a glorified "what should I buy" post, but wondering where I should be looking besides mbps ratings when buying a router/modem, as I won't be pushing those speeds with my internet package for the coming couple of years. That said, I'm looking for some future proofing on a budget (~$120-150 for both router and modem).

    Am I understanding correctly that the Archer (or nighthawk 1750) with it's 450mbps 2.4 and 1300mbs 5ghz would be better value than the mikrotic or ubiquiti (links below for reference) which are both rated to 300mbps 2.4 and 867mbps on 5ghz?

    I had read the value of the Mikrotik or Ubiquiti was top notch, but I'm wondering where it lies if not in the mbps capabilities. General reliability? I likely won't be pushing the speed limits for quite some time, so this is more a question for better understanding before purchasing one of these options.

    For now, my apartment will be a little over 1000sqft, two people, probably a 150ish mbps internet package so not really pushing these devices near their limits. I'm hoping to keep the router along for future upgrades to the living situation, maybe potential for use with fiber eventually, or at least just get the best value for my money whether that is in the mbps (which I won't be maxing out) or quality elsewhere. I'm guessing these are all a bit overkill for now so leaning towards the cheaper ones, perhaps the Archer, but am curious if I'm missing something to make me consider the others.

    Am I understanding my situation correctly? Any recommendations for how to approach this decision?

    1750mbps

    $58 - TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750

    $85 - Nighthawk AC1750

    1267mbps

    $61 - Asus

    1167mbps

    $60 - Mikrotik

    $90 - Ubiquiti

    Planning to buy an Arris SB6183 which claims to be rated up to 686mbps, for further reference, though the isp plan will be the limit for the near future.

    submitted by /u/se_lest
    [link] [comments]

    Will a Router VPN mess with my home phone

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 04:06 PM PDT

    We get our home phone through cable and i was wondering if a network wide vpn would mess with it.

    submitted by /u/ihastomanysanviches
    [link] [comments]

    Devices don’t recognize switch as being on the same network?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 03:21 PM PDT

    Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I needed more ports than what my router provided, so I connected a switch with 8 ports to the router. It works for many devices, but it doesn't work with my network printer and some other devices that are supposed to be connected to the "same network" as the router.

    I thought since the switch is plugged in to the router, it would be seen as the same network. Is there something special I need to do to make it work? The switch is unmanaged and works fine with devices that don't require to be on the "same" network.

    UPDATE: I think I found the problem. The switch was connected to a WAN port (looked the same as LAN port). Connecting the switch to one of the standard LAN ports on the router fixed the problem. All devices connected to the switch are now connected to the internet. Didn't try the printer yet.

    submitted by /u/CityRobinson
    [link] [comments]

    Networking Noobie

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 09:04 AM PDT

    Hi! I am 14 years old, and I am planning on building my first PC in the next couple of weeks. I live in a two story house, and the router and modem for the house is stationed downstairs, which is where my current setup is. It consists of a laptop that I have wired into the modem via ethernet cable. When I get my new PC, I would like to move all of my stuff upstairs to my room. The thing is, I cant move the router and modem to my room because my family also uses it, most of their devices are downstairs. I need some way to have a wired connection in my room without having to move the modem and router to my room. I know little to nothing about networking, that's why I came here. Whatever my solution is, it has to be around $50 or less, because I have to incorporate it into my PC budget, and it has to give me a connection that is almost as good as wiring directly into the modem, because I am a competitive gamer who needs stable ping and good speeds. My ISP is Spectrum and we're on a 200mb/s plan, the modem is the one the spectrum gave us, I dont know the model, and the router is the Asus RT-AC3100 if that helps. I get around 15-20 ping on my laptop when wired (speedtest.net), so I'm looking for something like that. Any suggestions are appreciated, if what I'm looking for isn't possible for that price, let me know. Like I said, I know little to nothing about networking. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ViveX_
    [link] [comments]

    Question/ Looking for Advice

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:42 PM PDT

    Just moved into a new apartment with wired cat5 and a patch panel inside of a wall box in the closet. In terms of wiring, I'm planning to go coax > modem > router > switch > patch panel. My problem is that my router doesn't fit inside of the wall box (large antennas and slightly too wide). Should I just attach the router to the wall outside of the box, and then loosely put the cover back on the box with the wires sticking out, or is there a cleaner solution to this?

    submitted by /u/Gracklezzz
    [link] [comments]

    Cost effective replacement for backup NAS

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:09 PM PDT

    Right now I have a buffalo NAS I just switched one of the drives a few months ago and repartitioned the drives, but now I'm getting a screen that's telling me to put in a repair disk and I'm noticing on the bios that the new drive isn't being recognized. It's there an easy fix it should I just dump this NAS and get a new method of backing up

    submitted by /u/xian487
    [link] [comments]

    ASUS RT-AC66U not entering recovery mode.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:01 PM PDT

    Trying to debrick this router. I've tried putting it into recovery mode and it's not working. I've also tried wiping this nvram (power off, hold WPS, power on while holding WPS for 15-20 seconds, wait a while) and it's not working either. Just wont budge.

    Any advice on how to fix this?

    submitted by /u/Psychowitz
    [link] [comments]

    Router recommendation (TP-Link Archer A9, Asia RT-AC68U, or a Ubiquit Edgerouter + access point).

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:12 AM PDT

    • autocorrect got me - meant Asus 68U.

    I am looking for a new router in the $60-$150ish range.

    I primarily hardwire my PC (gaming), AppleTV, TV, and Xbox, while using wireless mainly for phone browsing/streaming and Amazon Echo. I possibly will add some IoT type devices over the next few years.

    I am in a 1000 sq ft apartment. Which of these routers would you recommend as the best for my situation? I feel like the Ubiquiti setup would be fun, but possibly overkill for my needs?

    submitted by /u/fishy_sticks
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel