• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, August 10, 2019

    Home Networking It got WORSE.

    Home Networking It got WORSE.


    It got WORSE.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 07:56 PM PDT

    So here's a little back story. I never really had good internet. I'm 17, and I live with my mom, so gaming has been hard but nevertheless i'm greatful for what I have. My mom got this doorbell that records in 1080p 60fps and uploads a minute of footage every time someone walks up to it, which lags the whole internet. She got tired of it, and decided to FINALLY switch from satellite AT&T to xFinity. She told me she paid for this high number, forget what it is, and that it would be better.

    It actually was better in regards to my gaming experience, I have a smooth 70ish ping throughout most of my CS games. Couple 100 ping spikes here and there, but whatever. Now however, it's unplayable. I can't get into a csgo match because it'll say my ping is 90 or whatever, then ill take one step and itll jump to 2,000, then go back to 70, and then shoot back up, you get the point.

    I do game on WiFi. I don't really have a choice to game on ethernet because my mom would rather be dead than put the router in my room because I've been known to reset the internet when it gets slow, so it stays in the room next door.

    I did a ping on CMD for google.com, and these were my results. Somehow there are packets that are making it to 2,000 ms, or just straight up timing out. Literally anything requiring a somewhat smooth connection be it a Twitch stream or game is unplayable/unwatchable. On other things such as web browsing, it works just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Edit: Some typos

    submitted by /u/FrothyOP
    [link] [comments]

    Confused about VLANS

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 07:48 PM PDT

    So I want to set up my network with my test server able to connect to the internet and be able to be remote desktop connected into from my main PC, but I want it kept out of the network of everything else.

    Also I want to set up my media server and NAS to be accessible by my IoT (so I can watch on the TV etc) and accessible by my regular network of PCs. I want the IoT devices on their own network for security reasons, or is that overkill for a home set up?

    I am using Unifi switch, AP, and USG if that changes anything. Also I have a dell power connect 6224 I can add in if I need two switches.

    I'm not sure how to accomplish this to have them seperate yet connected at the same time, I may be completely off base and it is not doable. But if anyone can help or point me in the direction of a tutorial that would be awesome.

    TIA

    submitted by /u/LFMFAILS
    [link] [comments]

    Best network mode for Asus RT-AC68U with TP-Link Deco Mesh for Wi-Fi?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 05:55 AM PDT

    I had been using just the Asus router for 3 wired and a dozen or so various 2.4/5Ghz wireless devices; both radios with the same SSID & passphrase.

    I recently got a TP-Link Deco M5 mesh package (3), connected one as the main to the 4th ethernet on the Asus, and the other two connected over Wi-Fi backhaul upstairs.

    Once I got the M5's all connected using a temp SSID name, I disabled the radios on the Asus and renamed the Deco SSID to my old one, so all the devices connected automatically. Then I switched them to Access Point mode in the Deco app, and all the devices show up as wired connections in Asus settings.

    The only thing not working now is I use a companion app on my Android tablet (Red Dead Redemption 2) for a game on my PS4 (wired connection), but it won't connect. It should sync with the game, but will no longer work over the network, unless I switch the PS4 to a wireless connection.

    Is there any settings I can enable or network mode I should switch to so they will connect?

    submitted by /u/CINAPTNOD
    [link] [comments]

    Repeater SetUp

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 08:33 PM PDT

    My university housing is about 1/3 of a mile away from the main areas and the WiFi barely reaches my dorm. I only get good signal near a window. What (affordable) repeater set up could I get to boost my signal in my dorm room?

    submitted by /u/jjbenitez
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to connect my voip ATA wirelessly?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 08:28 PM PDT

    My main phone line is in the living room and my main router is in the master bedroom and unfortunately the phone line in my room is a dud.

    I was thinking of using like this to use it as an extender, and use the ethernet cable to connect between the extender and the voip ATA. Will this work?

    submitted by /u/challevenshop
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of speed should I see with personal online cloud storage ?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 04:28 PM PDT

    When I upload to them. With 1 Gbps download and 1 Gbps upload.

    submitted by /u/ng4ever
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with my Linksys velop system

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 04:28 PM PDT

    I currently have the 300 Mbps plan with spectrum. And recently got the linksys velop to stretch the wifi coverage in my home. My initial test(speedtest.net on Samsung s8) gave me great results of almost 400mbps download speed. Until last week ive been having lagging issues on the xbox.

    I did a speed test last night on the Xbox and got nearly half of what I'm supposed to be having (about 130mbps) I ran a speed test on the Linksys app and got 400mbps . But when I run a test on speedtest.net I get 130 . Anyone have any idea what's going on?

    submitted by /u/dumbeaner
    [link] [comments]

    What do my ping results/packet loss mean? What should I do next?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 08:10 PM PDT

    Update to my Original Post: Please help me fix my internet - in/out the past 6 months, ISP hasn't helped - I don't know what else to do.

    What do my ping results mean? What should I do next?

    Internal: 127.0.0.1 —- 0%
    Default gateway = Router: —- 0%
    IPV4: —- 0%
    8.8.8.8 ——9.1% packet loss
    www.google.com ---10.0% packet loss

    submitted by /u/anonymice3
    [link] [comments]

    Tri Band Router + Tri Band Repeater?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 11:03 AM PDT

    Theoretically, how much better would a tri band router + tri band repeater be versus a dual band router + tri band repeater.

    I understand that the ideal set up of the 2 tri bands would be to use 1 of the 5GHz to link with the extender, freeing the other 5GHz to be free for devices.

    My question is, how much more of an impact could this potentially have?

    Thanks all

    submitted by /u/ArchibaldIX
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a modem\router setup.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 07:34 PM PDT

    Current Modem is a Netgear CM600, haven't seemed to have issues with it yet but I'm open to change to a better one.

    Budget is approx $500, can go higher or less depending on vendors, i have about $200 store credit with best buy so that can be added with the $500 if something's there.

    Internet package 400 Down 40 Up from Spectrum (Looking to get the gigabyte package when it actually works in my area)

    I've had the following routers

    Google Mesh Wi-Fi, had issues with sluggish connections after a month, needing to reset it twice a day as well as not being able to choose which devices went to which node, for example my laptop in my room with the node directly in front of me, would still connect to the hallway one which was a good 50ft+ away.

    Netgear Nighthawk X6, it sucked.

    Netgear Nighthawk 7000P, drops connection frequently.

    Asus RT 5300, the 5GHz bands kept randomly vanishing after a few months, apart from that it was the best router I've had.

    There's some others i've used but I can't remember off the top of my head. The main issue i've always had is connection's dropping and being forced to reboot every night to maintain my speed.

    I've seen a lot of stuff with Ubiquiti (No idea how to even use that) I just want a recommendation of somekind with something reliable, i'm also in an apartment but I've had zero issue with 5GHz congestion.

    EDIT: Thanks for all the help! I'm going to buy the Ubiquiti stuff tomorrow and hopefully have it next week and give it a try.

    submitted by /u/Mikeatopia
    [link] [comments]

    Nighthawk R7000 Capabilities

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 07:42 AM PDT

    Current setup:

    Comcast 50 Mbps -> Surfboard SB6141 Cable Modem -> Nighthawk R7000

    2-story 3600sqft house, R7000 centrally located upstairs.

    R7000 has 2.4/5Ghz bands set to same SSID so clients choose band. QOS off. Disney Circle enabled.

    3 tvs, 4 laptops, 4 cell phones, 1 PS4, 3 echos, 10ish random devices. Evenings can have simultaneous 1 game, 3 video streams or 0 game, 4 video streams.

    How many clients and load can a r7000 handle? I get more disconnects and video buffering than I think I should and have to reboot the router about once/week. I've got good wfi signal throughout house and ethernet tested ISP speed. I have some home networking background dabbling with DDWRT and messing around with basic router settings, etc.

    submitted by /u/triangulum33
    [link] [comments]

    Danet Yogi Turbotenna Default Control Panel Credentials

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 05:59 PM PDT

    I recently bought a USB Yagi Turbotenna from my cousin who never really used it. Anyways, he lost the physical instruction manual that came with the router control credentials in order to access the system's control panel. Therefore, I cannot login to the 192.168.10.1 local IP address when on the Yagi WiFi network. Luckily he had the WiFi credentials, but unfortunately, not the control panel one. Does anyone here own a Yagi Turbotenna, that might know the credentials to the system, in case they are the same default credentials for all Yagi's? I tried looking at ALL their online manuals and cannot find any credentials listed. My cousin does not have any records of when he bought it, so he cannot even prove his purchase to the Turbotenna customer service team, in order to get help. Any help or tips towards the right direction would greatly help :) Thanks!

    submitted by /u/linux-boi
    [link] [comments]

    Fibre to link buildings, what type?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 04:14 PM PDT

    I want to link a new house being built with an existing shop on the same property. The cable distance would be between 100-200 feet, house location is still being determined. I recently learned that ethernet is not acceptable/advisable for this due to grounding issues.

    I will be using pre-terminated fiber and have some experience with click pens so will purchase a cleaning kit, but will not have access to a splicer.

    What type of fiber is best for this distance? I assume Single mode, but wasn't sure beyond that. Any other recommendations?

    As there will be much earth moving taking place, a trench between the buildings is a simple request. The electrician is a friend and can assist with whatever conduit is necessary, but was not sure what type of conduit/pipe is advisable for this or what else I need to protect the fiber as it leaves the conduit and enters the buildings (NID of some type? patch panel?) The electrician has experience pulling fibre, but not specing/purchasing it.

    I'm very familiar with Ubiquiti P2P 5 and 24 ghz radios and somewhat familiar with Cambium, but would prefer to stay away from wireless for this application due to some obstructions and other reasons.

    I looked through the search and can't quite find what I'm looking for.

    SFP modules on each end, devices TBD. Not media converters. Need 1GBPS ideally, but 500mbps is ok

    submitted by /u/fibrefacts
    [link] [comments]

    Home. Stan/Netflix work well, but scrolling Facebook/Reddit on a phone, doesn't. Ideas why?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 04:09 PM PDT

    • Stan/Netflix/YouTube streaming works well 95% of the time.
    • Loading webpages, Facebook, Reddit on my Laptop works well.

    But...

    • Loading Facebook and Reddit on my (and friends) phones doesn't work. Only the first "load" works, scrolling beyond that times out, loading images on Reddit times out, clicking on links times out.

    Calling the internet provider hasn't helped so far. (Excetel, NBN plan)

    Any ideas or suggestions as to what the problem (and solution) could be?

    submitted by /u/trebond
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a new router?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:55 PM PDT

    I hope this is the right place to ask. I upgraded my internet from 100mbps to gigablast (not fiber) and ever since then my internet has been dropping like 10 times a day both wifi and ethernet. The speed is 1gig when its working.

    I thought it was my modem but I have the Arris Touchstone CM8200 which according to specs is perfect. My friend helped me re-set up my router settings and such and it still didnt fix it and he recomends I get a new router. I currently have an Asus RT-AC3200 mounted on a wall I got a few years ago. (Mounting it on the wall helped with over heating and doubled my speeds, another issue i was having)

    The disconnects happen randomly, it could be 1am and only my computer is on playing games and the internet drops, it could be in afternoon with 3 movies streaming on hulu and me playing games and the internet drops, and it could be when I get home from work and no one his home and theres no internet. The internet doesnt fully disconnect it just stuck at about 10kbps for ~10 minutes before it goes back to 1gbps.

    Do you think its my router or internet line from outside? I know its not my computer because the devices connected by wifi are affected too.

    If it is my router, what kind of specs should I be looking for to handle multiple streaming and gaming?

    submitted by /u/zeromutt
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing old router modem supplied by isp

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:46 PM PDT

    Hello. I have this old adsl router that was given by my isp 5 years ago(alpha networks asl 26555) and I'm considering replacing it since it doesn't receive support anymore(last firmware dates from 2013). Apart from that it's still working fine, I have low speed adsl2 and don't really need better wifi range so the only reason to change it would be security concerns. Would a modern router modem under 100$ would make much of a difference in that regard? If so, which one could you recommend me?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Cowtwin
    [link] [comments]

    Best modem for small studio apartment?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:33 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I am moving into a ~800 sqft studio apartment in a couple weeks. This is my first time interacting with Comcast at all, and I've chosen to go with a 150mbps download speed plan because I stream and game a lot. I opted out of the Comcast provided modem at $13 a month because even their sales rep said I could find a better one elsewhere. I'm looking for a modem preferably under $100 that can support my download speeds and a stable connection. I have my parents' old Netgear R6300 router and would prefer to use that, but if it's not a good pick, I would be willing to get a new router as well. I'd probably use an Ethernet connection for only 1 or two devices.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/nman9939
    [link] [comments]

    IPV4 vs IPV6 why do my speeds fluctuate so much?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    Router: Netgear R7000

    ISP: 600mbps

    QoS: Off

    When I have IPV4 enabled, I'm getting 20-30mpbs. When I disable IPV4 and only run on IPV6 I'm getting 400-600mbps, only downside is now I can't access 90% of websites.

    Anyone know what I can do to mitigate this problem and still retain high speeds? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/liquid42
    [link] [comments]

    Next level after Nighthawk R7000

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 02:55 PM PDT

    About 3 years ago, I upgraded my wifi hardware to a Nighthawk and it made a lot of difference. It has 3 antennas and could overpower a lot of the noise from a million next door routers. It is running in pass through to an AT&T DSL.

    Family has about 10 devices, max load is 3 streaming video and 1 gaming.

    I would like to upgrade the hardware again, but not sure what is clearly better. Should I look at higher end Asus or Ubiquiti or Google mesh or something else? I just want a clearly better and more powerful (and stable) router.

    submitted by /u/slippery
    [link] [comments]

    Router for 1Gbps with MAC/Port based QoS? Don't need wireless

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 06:37 AM PDT

    Do the newer quad core Asus and Netgear routers do this? They're pretty expensive because of all that wireless hardware though. Does a cheaper Edgerouter also do the trick?

    submitted by /u/Blackbeard_
    [link] [comments]

    Two router with DHCP server

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:45 PM PDT

    Current Setup

    I've read that you're better off running one DHCP in a network to avoid IP conflict, but I have this weird setup for some time now, I would like to change it.

    I've turned off G1100 2.4Ghz wifi, but 5.0Ghz on, I need to use it for TV connection for FiOS. All other wireless devices connect to AC 1900 with Aimesh mode ON,

    Q1, Which router should I turn on the DHCP server, or leave both ON?

    Q2, If I turn off the AC1900 DHCP server, my AIMESH still work?

    Q3, AiMesh vs 3 different networks with different SSID, which one is better?

    Q4, Does temperatures affecting wifi range?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/yyyidss
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a router for ethernet connection?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:18 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I recently moved to the US and have decided to get the 100/100 verizon fios connection. I want an ethernet connection to play fighting games online (wifi really wasnt ideal for that). So I was wondering if I need a router to establish an ethernet connection between my laptop and modem or if I can plug the ethernet cable directly from the modem to the computer.

    Also, this may be a dumb question, buw what kind of wall socket do I need for this?

    submitted by /u/throwaway_-_account
    [link] [comments]

    ORBI RBK50 placement in a large multi story house

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 12:31 PM PDT

    I moving in to a new 850 m2 (9000 ft2) multi story house. I'm bringing a single RBK50 from my old house. And I bought 2 more RBK50s new. So, I have total 3 RBR50 and 3 RBS50 (3 routers + 3 satelites). I have CAT-6 wired through the most of the new house. And I'm wondering what is the best placement and configuration for the whole system. As I understand, I can convert one the spare routers as access point. Attached DB folder shows the floor plan with ethernet points locations. Also, some outdoor equipment I need wifi coverage to.

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/58dfdotmsvup7yv/AABZhKnA3cSAq8gPxGHdT7_ba?dl=0

    Looking for your comment and help. Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router

    submitted by /u/abdulhat
    [link] [comments]

    Possible causes for "wavy" latency patterns

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 11:51 PM PDT

    The image below shows what happens to my ping everyday around 22PM-4AM.This problem comes and goes, sometimes it stays for a week, sometimes for a month, and now in this very specific schedule.
    https://imgur.com/a/jnAJm4d

    Obviouslly It happens in every device in the house so I know its not just my PC. I believe its a problem from my internet providers and there's nothing I can do about it, so I'm not here exactly to find a solution but pretty much by curiosity. What happens in a internet provider that can cause this? Is it possible that my router is causing it?

    submitted by /u/KennyTheBard
    [link] [comments]

    Want to Extend Wifi Range - Linksys AC3000 Max-Stream Tri-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender, Black (RE9000) vs Linksys AC1200 Wireless Access Point for Business

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 12:14 PM PDT

    So I want to exten the wifi range in my house. I have a Linksys EA8300 Max-Stream AC2200 Tri-Band WiFi Router in my basement and want to add an extender upstairs. I have an ethernet cable (connected to my router) upstairs aswell hooked up to a network switch.

    Will both products mentioned in the title above help me extend the range? Would i have to setup the RE90000 as an AP and the make the ssid's the same for seameless roaming? Is one option better than the other? Which one has better performance/range?

    submitted by /u/WUTDO11231235
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel