• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, August 6, 2019

    Home Networking Can I install a coaxial cable?

    Home Networking Can I install a coaxial cable?


    Can I install a coaxial cable?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 04:29 PM PDT

    Our landlords had to move us permanently because of a mold issue in our apartment.

    COX was happy to transfer our internet to this new apartment and want to charge us 75 dollars to install a coaxial jack because there doesn't seem to be on here even though they previously gave service to this apartment.

    The closest thing I could find is this outlet and I have no idea what it is. I was wondering if it's possible to get out of paying COX the money by doing it myself Advice/insight would be appreciated.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/ZFjBG7X

    submitted by /u/MrMethusela
    [link] [comments]

    Question on connecting two separate WAN networks so they can directly communicate

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 06:24 PM PDT

    So there are two houses (more like apartment neighbors) and we want to directly connect our routers so we can share information faster without it having to go all over the internet just to arrive next door, and have faster latency and access secure servers on each others networks?

    Is this possible with normal off the shelf consumer routers?

    How would you set up this system. We already have set up our separate subnets, I'm on 192.168.1.1 and he is on 192.168.2.1, is it as simple as connecting the two routers via an Ethernet Cable? Or is something else required?

    Here is a drawing of how it will look like: https://i.imgur.com/1Pa51q7.png

    submitted by /u/PaulGoebbels
    [link] [comments]

    Can I configure my only router as a bridge?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 05:38 AM PDT

    I read bridge mode is used for when you have two routers. Can I change the settings of the only router I have at home as a bridge as an alternative to port forwarding?

    submitted by /u/fede01_8
    [link] [comments]

    Network noob needs advice

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 05:06 PM PDT

    Hi everybody,

    I have one sole Ethernet cable running under the floor from my kitchen where router 1 lives, into my bedroom next door. This is the only Ethernet cable I have access to in my room. However I have a 4K tv, Xbox and PC I would like to have all wired.

    I plugged my one and only Ethernet cable in bedroom into a second router and made this a wireless access point. This all works and I now have Ethernet cables into all the devices I mentioned above and all work.

    I'm just wondering if this is the best way to do it, or if I'm hindering speeds by having a second router with WiFi access? Could I possibly turn off the WiFi on the second router and have it solely as an Ethernet extension from router 1?

    Sorry if I need to clarify anything please let me know. All of this was done with help from google so far! Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/TenseTortoise
    [link] [comments]

    Residential Voip system configuration question.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 08:31 PM PDT

    I have some questions and would like some 3rd party guidance. And as appropriate, if there is a better group (besides r/ooma ) then please let me know.

    I'm a longtime Ooma VoiP user (10+ years) and recently had some kind of problem that may have killed my original Ooma Core Hub, thus taking down my Internet and have also been without VoiP service since.

    Now Ooma recommends that you connect their Voip box right after your modem (Charter/Spectrum Internet) and then connect your Wifi router to the Ooma box. And this setup was working perfectly this whole time. But with the Ooma box having some sort of technical problems it made us not be able to access the Internet on our normal devices.

    So in the hopes to remedy this problem in the future, I want to connect the Ooma box after my Wifi router in the typical home user configuration. Unfortunately this means I will have to manually open ports on my router.

    I received the following list of ports from an Ooma support tech:

    Ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:

    UDP 53

    UDP 123

    UDP 514

    UDP 1194

    UDP 3386

    UDP 3480

    UDP 10000-30000

    TCP 110

    TCP 53

    TCP 443.

    Now due to mostly financial reasons, we are still using an old 'Asus RT-N16' router (still meets our online requirements), but it's not really clear on how to do the custom port mapping (?); there is a 'Port Triggering' section and a 'Port Forwarding' configuration section in the routers configuration software, but I have not been able to figure this out yet. So before I spend a lot of time learning about opening ports, I wanted to ask the following question.

    How much trouble would I bring myself if I just simply assigned my Ooma box to my routers DMZ?

    I'm using the ISP provided cable modem-Arris TM822 with their base 100mb service, no static IP block, no other extras from the provider (Charter/Spectrum).

    thank you.

    submitted by /u/jacle2210
    [link] [comments]

    Home VLAN setup for network segmentation

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 08:16 PM PDT

    Hello! I am currently playing with my Netgear X4S R7800 router at home, and I'm looking to segment my network using the VLAN setting.

    Here is a screenshot of my current settings: https://postimg.cc/1VXDLjsv

    I see that my only available options are to do VLAN tagging with the WiFi 5Ghz/2Ghz and Port 1/2/3/4 on the router. If I wanted more granularity, lets say have my desktop be on its own VLAN - would I have to attach it directly to one of the ports and set the VLAN ID? At the moment its connected wirelessly on the 5Ghz band.

    Here are a few other questions (I appreciate your patience as I'm still learning networking):

    • Now that WiFi 5Ghz is on its own VLAN ID (VLAN 3), does this mean that the other VLAN segmented network (VLAN 10) can't see or communicate with the 5Ghz network? Even though they are in the same subnet, can they still ping or see each other?

    • My current internal network is on a /24. Could I increase the subnet to /16 and do some segmentation that way? The goal would be to have hosts in my network being isolated from each other for security purposes (if one gets compromised, no malicious traffic can traverse the network laterally and touch other hosts). If I have a 192.168.1.1/24 network and a 192.168.2.1/24 under the same router with an overall network of /16, I'm guessing the devices in both subnets can still reach each other without VLAN setup?

    • Also curious if there are any benefits of using PVID versus VLAN tagging?

    Thank you in advance for your help!

    submitted by /u/towawaymyname
    [link] [comments]

    Heat resistant ethernet cable options for consumers?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 04:27 PM PDT

    Just moved to a new apartment, and the access point for our new fiber (!!) ISP is in the living room. Our bedroom is adjacent separated by a wall, which is where my desktop will be set up. I emailed the landlord asking if it was possible to replace an unused phone jack with a grommet or ethernet port that could be passed through the wall, but the property manager suggested I run the ethernet cable through the heating pipe vent that runs between the two rooms.

    No problem, that actually works great. My only concern is that when winter rolls around and we need to fire up the baseboard heaters, that it will be outside of the standard ethernet cable's safe operating temps (I read somewhere ~150F was the upper safe limit).

    I'm looking around for heat resistant ethernet cables that can withstand at least 212F (I think the heating has hot water pipes that run though it) to be safe, but I'm having a hard time finding any consumer cords that don't come in 500' rolls. Anyone know of some good options, or keywords to search to find compliant cables?

    submitted by /u/Well_technically
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with some possible router issues.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 08:12 PM PDT

    Ok before anyone says anything I know how this is set up is a mess. If you know ways to make it not a mess without costing an arm and leg feel free to let me know.

    I live in the country and only get 1.5 down with att. To counteract no internet options out here I have this internet set up as follows.

    Sprint tablet with a 3rd party tethering app (easy tether pro) plugged into an old laptop which gives it about 30-50Mbps. The laptop then is acting as my "modem" and network sharing via cat 5 to a netgear r6400 router giving it about the same download speed. I have speed tested multiple devices with no issue.

    Now comes the problem with my firestick. My firestick only picks up about 2-3Mbps of that wireless signal from the router even being 5ft away from it. If I use my phone's actual hotspot function the firestick gets what it needs for me to watch streams for us. I don't how else to go about fixing this. I cannot control settings like a usual modem since my laptop is the acting modem and the router app only gives me password and settings that doesnt controls ports, firewall, etc.

    Sorry if it is a big mess but it has worked out for us for awhile now besides this lol

    submitted by /u/darkerdjks
    [link] [comments]

    VPN Speed Question

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 12:09 PM PDT

    Sorry if this is the wrong sub but I've got a quick question. I am interested in setting up a vpn on my local network to access my LAN devices when I'm not home. When connected in this way, will my client device be limited to my internet's upload speed? My download speed is much quicker than my upload and I'm wondering which speed the vpn will rely on.

    submitted by /u/ATMPlay
    [link] [comments]

    [Update] Mesh Network Buying Help. 2 days, 4+ Hours of research later and desperately need direction. More info from previous Post with Questions.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    Good afternoon! I posted yesterday about deciding between a Google Wifi, Orbi RBK23 or RBK50 Mesh Network Here:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/cmgg22/near_no_home_networking_knowledge_need_help/

    I was told my description of my house layout sucked so decided to publish ha google drawing of it to help: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/e/2PACX-1vSubFTIzpDIZpWuqI5ZiZpqN7xQmB9eXcZufBYaSx4SxZBx2vF8Cq_7M-_js1JAoNzxOwGEVq_sJ-6R/pub?w=1440&h=1080

    I also recently discovered that my parents internet from Optimum is a 100 Mbps plan.

    With the information above, I was hoping you could point me in the right direction for a system that would provide solid speed, and would be relatively easy for my parents?

    - Is the Netgear Orbi now reliable and stable?

    - Since my parents WiFi Package is 100Mbps, Does that mean we would not be able to harness the increased speeds of the Orbiter RBK50 or RBK23?

    - Would a weaker 3 satellite system be more effective due to the house layout than 2 stronger satellites?

    If anyone could take a look at the house layout and please shed some light on the matter it would be greatly appreciated. I continuously Google Wifi is fine for most people, but then also hear that it has some serious drop off speeds.

    All reccomendations and help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TheOutdoorsGuy
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple static IPs routed over single home wired network without router?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 03:42 PM PDT

    I have several static IP's with our gigabit fiber connection. Our fiber modem has 3 network outputs, but no built in router. So jack 1 goes to an external router configured to use one of the static IP's. This router services everything "general computing" on the current in-house network. On the second modem jack I have directly connected a little MacMac mini configured as a Full Bitcoin node using another static IP. The MacMini is not connected to the main network in any way. It's sandboxed on its own port on the modem, with its own static IP separate from the IP used to feed the router.

    So that leaves the 3rd jack. I would like to use another one of the static IP's on a computer on the other side of the office. There's ethernet run all over the building, but I'm not sure how to connect the computer on the other side of the building to the last remaining jack. Is there a way to pipe another static IP over the existing wired network without passing through the router? Ideally I would like this last machine to also be sandboxed like the MacMini. The final machine is several hops away from the modem. Guessing 3 switches.

    Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance!

    submitted by /u/-QuestionMark-
    [link] [comments]

    Xfinity No Internet Connection

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 07:23 PM PDT

    We used to get 400+ mbps for our download speed which is what we're paying for. From June 2019 - August 2019, we've been getting nearly 100 mbps and less than 10 on wireless devices. Our customer support told us to switch from the XB3 modem/router to the XB6 model and it got even worst since the upgrade.

    From my TomsHardware thread, a user suggested that I should change from my 802.11 to 802.11n and change from 1 channel to 11 at the most. That still did nothing.

    Today, we finally phoned up customer support and they said that there is a problem with our network in the neighborhood and someone in the neighborhood is causing the signal to "backfeed" whatever the hell that means. Our technician that came to our house said that our cables are receiving good signals but the problem is the signal with the "shared network" in the area that's causing it to slow down.

    After our call, the lady on the phone said that the technician will come to the neighborhood to investigate where this "backfeeding signal" is coming from.

    And just so you know, I can't get a damn internet. I could unplug and plug back the power cable and get internet for a minute or two and loose the connection again. And restarting from the gateway won't help either.

    Can anybody tell me what could be the problem? Could getting a third party router solve my problem? If I do get a third party router, I'm afraid I will get the same result if it's definitely the network in the area.

    submitted by /u/AzazelNightcrawl3R
    [link] [comments]

    Ubiquiti USG And dd-wrt vpn router

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 01:22 PM PDT

    I have an old netgear r8000 I'm setting up at a vpn router using dd-wrt. But I have ubiquiti gear and would like to integrate their User interface and the IPS/IDS. Is it possible to have the two together? I presume I would need to fit the vpn router first, plugging into wan, then out of the first routers lan into the wan of the usg, then out to the switches? The vpn router will have the isp credentials, so would the usg need the credentials of the vpn router or..? Just unsure how it will all get tied together, and would like to know if it is at all possible before I commit to the purchase. My main goal here is internet privacy but keeping the user interface too. Any help greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/lewk-maybe
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment Networking Setup Advice

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 06:52 PM PDT

    Hello,

    So I'm looking for some advice on some home networking setup for my apartment. I have 3 roommates each of which will probably 2 wireless devices and 1 wired device. (phone + laptop/tablet for wireless and desktop for wired). We're going to have a few consoles and a roku tv in the living room which I additionally hope to hardwire.

    Minimum of 8 wireless devices and probably a max of 14 devices at a time.

    Minimum of 4 wired devices and probably a max of 7 devices at at time.

    There's wifi at the apartment already, so that's might cause some interference with how I will setup the wifi. I do not currently live there at the moment so I cannot check which channels are currently being used.

    I have been told that I can setup my own router at the apartment, so I was hoping that I could also plan after I leave this apartment to use it for my family's home as well.

    I was looking at the ubiquiti lineup. I'm probably willing to spend $450 all in all.

    Total area of the apartment is probably 1500 sq ft.

    There's walls everywhere and doors separate most of the living spaces.

    Given that I was to have at least 2 APs I was thinking I would need a switch that can support POE, which I was looking at the UniFi Switch 16 (150 W) and two UniFi AP AC Lite to use at the apartment. I'm not sure if I need a modem or not, but if I did need one what should I get? Additionally, at my family's house the router uses MOCA, so if anyone knows a somewhat cheap adapter that would be nice.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Guthix70
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to set up LTE home service...

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 06:42 PM PDT

    I live in a rural area where my options are 3/.75 DSL, or Sat. I just kicked Hughsnet to the curb because it is horrific. I get a weak but present Verizon LTE signal, so I'm looking at setting up a personal office network using an LTE hot spot. I am looking at the WeBoost 4G signal booster, and then I'd like to get an LTE modem or something. Can anyone recommend a device for this? Also, do I just sign up for a Verizon plan and put the SIM in my modem? They don't seem to have any plans specifically dedicated to this. Thanks for your help! Please let me know if I'm on the right track here...

    submitted by /u/Anstigmat
    [link] [comments]

    Different dsl line statistics on two different modem routers

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 06:10 PM PDT

    Hello everyone

    I have encountered this problem where two modems give different dsl line statistics (SNR Margin, Attenuation etc...), one is a TP-Link that shows my line is horrible, the other (Tenda D305 actually shows that my line is great, I eliminated all factors that could change those stats like filter/splitters. Could the modem router have the same chipset as the dslam be the reason to this?

    submitted by /u/Eliastronaut
    [link] [comments]

    Aruba Instant On vs. Ubiquiti UniFi

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 06:00 PM PDT

    Interested to hear anyone's experiences with Aruba Instant On APs. Pricing and features seem similar or better than comparable UniFi gear.

    https://www.arubainstanton.com

    Haven't really found any reviews or discussions online. Hoping this community may have some thoughts. Could they dethrone UniFi as r/homenetworking favourites?

    submitted by /u/doublemint_
    [link] [comments]

    Managed Switch Recommendation ?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 05:46 PM PDT

    Wanted to start with thanks for all the posters and replies ... you folks are awesome. Also damaging to my bank account.

    Short version --> looking for buying recommendations, I think for a 16 port + 8 port POE managed switch. I'm not in it for the hobby although I enjoy it, I'm really trying to solve a variety of home networking problems.

    Long version (aka ... it depends on what you want)

    I have a home network that's been growing organically in a family of 4, and at times our network has slowed to a crawl. We have 2x4K tv's running, and smart devices of all sorts & work from home with video conferences, in hindsight it's surprising it ever worked. We need the bandwidth, and when I poke into my 'internet' closet I have finally realized I have cat5 instead of phone lines all over the house, I'm about to order tools & jacks and start to convert them. I have 2 Asus routers pre-existing I'm in no hurry to replace. I also have some wishlist items, I want to stop paying monthly phone bills ($40 / month), I'd like better privacy and malicious site blocking (DNS Sec, Adblocking), would prefer to shut off my younger childs internet as a failsafe around 11pm. I also have a NAS, and it supports link aggregation, so there is that. I have a plex server with bluray quality images I can stream.

    SO, after reading this reddit for a while, I decided to sketch it out because I really want to only buy 1x, go wired and permanently build out a solution. Turns out I need a lot more ports than I expected (14), so I want to go a bit bigger than 16 for spares, although who knows what else may become interesting. I would prefer not to replace the routers, and while Ubiquiti looks fun, I'd need to figure out how to mount those on the ceiling to get the right coverage. Possible, but a pain, and I hate throwing away the routers I have. So short list of things I'd like to solve ...

    - During day, possible 2x video conference + sharing. Gaming + youtube + 1-2 4k tv likely at night. (peak I guess 100 Mbps ?). Wired outlets for both TV's available, gamer will get an outlet, one of the video conferences & youtuber have no outlets.

    - Two routers, distributed across the house for coverage. Asus, so I'd prefer to use AI Mesh... I use Merlin to support DNS Sec in DMZ to Cloudflare which recently got added. First Asus router is 87u, although would like to go to 88u in future to get AiMesh. 86u for second router. AiMesh is not the most well reviewed mesh solution but if I am wired for most of the house so i think I don't care that much. I do like Merlin's firmware.

    - Would like POE to start using VoIP phones, 3 likely outlets, maybe 1-2 more. Likely to install security camera for front (Wyze), although no POE place for it at the moment

    - Link aggregation to the NAS (QNAP). Also serves to Plex Server.

    - DNS ad blocking with PiHole

    I think that's it. Any suggestions on a switch are welcome. I was hoping to spend between 200-300 (USD) ?

    submitted by /u/jungle_bob2
    [link] [comments]

    Older DSL modem being stubborn about working with ER-X

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 09:42 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I have a Zyxel C1000Z DSL modem that I am trying to use with a Ubiquity ER-X. I set it up a couple years ago and it worked solidly until it started having issues occasionally. It would stop communicating with the ER-X and require a reset or other fiddling. I'm not exactly sure what was causing the failure because I have HughesNet satellite going in to the ER-X as well (wizard dual-WAN config) and it would do failover, so I might not notice when it went out for a couple days.

    In order to get the Zyxel to work previously I've had to set up transparent bridging and put the PPPoE credentials in the ER-X. That stopped working and I had to do a hard reset on the DSL modem but I haven't been able to get it working again, partially because I did not take notes about the settings that have worked previously.

    My HughesNet satellite modem worked find just plugging an ethernet cable in to the ER-X. I'm not really sure if there is any benefit to doing transparent bridging or whatever on the DSL modem but "just plugging it in" would be nice. The only feature I'm interested in from a networking perspective is being able to direct a couple devices (cell phone for VOIP, SamKnows box to help the government understand how bad CentryLink is) always over DSL. I've heard I can do this by assigning a static IP on the ER-X but haven't gotten around to doing that yet. Work on that after I get the DSL working at all through the ER-X...

    Questions:

    1) Is there a decent cheap DSL modem that will work well with the ER-X with minimal configuration? I'm not exactly sure what kind of DSL I have...1.5Mbps down/0.96Mbps up. yee haw.

    2) If not, anybody have a site to point to on getting the Zyxel to cooperate? It seems like using your own router would be pretty common but the modem is so old I havent had much luck. The CenturyLink instructions appear to be missing steps and the drop down box options don't appear as they are in the instructions.

    https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/zyxel-c1000z/advanced-setup/wan-settings.html

    submitted by /u/EGDad
    [link] [comments]

    Modem purchase recommendations

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 10:41 AM PDT

    I recently bought a new router to replace the OEM one that came with my provider. I am now thinking of replacing the modem.

    Is it worth replacing the modem?

    Do the routers and modem have to match, for example do they have to be from the same brand?

    What modems would you recommend that is under $70 and would work well with my router linked below?

    TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router for Home, Works with Alexa, VPN Server, Parental Control&QoS(Archer A7) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qOBsDbSAZYCGQ

    submitted by /u/perfes
    [link] [comments]

    TP-LINK Archer C59 V2 WAN Interface Speed

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 04:34 PM PDT

    Can somebody confirm that I'm not crazy. The tp-link website states that the WAN port on my router is 10/100/1000 but it is only negotiating to 100 with my Cable Modem. When I go into the advanced settings I only have options for 10/100. When I plug my laptop into my Cable Modem it auto-negotiates to 1000.

    So despite what the website says, and that it is advertised as a Gigabit router, the WAN port is only 100M?

    submitted by /u/Insignificant_Bear
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get Sb6183 to work on Optimum

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 04:08 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    So based on a previous recommendation here I picked up an SB6183 to hook up with Optimum (no voice) but the rep tells me its not compatible. He spent ~30min or so trying to get it to work but no go.

    Do they not know what they're doing or is it not actually compatible?

    Please advise. Thank you

    submitted by /u/notmss
    [link] [comments]

    Help me get fibre to my pc

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 01:05 AM PDT

    Hi, so i have a fiberlink gigabyt sub and the signal comes into my home from the provider. The cable splits in 2 and one goes into they re special modem , and from the modem to the pc, and the other half goes into a transformer that gives out signal to the tv s (i think). I wanted to change my modem/router they gave me since i ve had issues with it. My question is : can i run that cable ( and please for the love of god someone tell me what s it s called) it s an OPT and i guess it s called SC APC. I want to get a media convertor to basicalkly convert fibre to ethernet that i can plug into my router, and then run another one from the router to the pc. Would this work? I was looking at this online https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Converter-Multi-Mode-MC200CM/dp/B003CFATKQ?th=1 (mb overpriced) but for example it takes both of the fibre ends and has only one out, how about the TV, could this wok with only one of them plugged in it? How do i set up my tv cabe if i have to use both ? I just really want to get rid of my modem/router for good.

    submitted by /u/MrWicked650
    [link] [comments]

    Port Forwarding with Two Routers

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 03:22 PM PDT

    I've moved in with my girlfriend and she already had a router down stairs provided by Xfinity.I brought my second router [Linksys] with me and keep it upstairs and have them connected via a really long Ethernet cable.I've port forwarded a minecraft server before but normal steps aren't working this time.

    1. https://i.imgur.com/tOIKUkJ.png
    2. https://i.imgur.com/EGwnJLq.png

    I thought that this must be because of the first router [Xfinity] downstairs so I used the PFPortChecker tool from portforward.com and it doesn't seem to detect the first router [Xfinity] at all.

    1. https://i.imgur.com/s8Cl1IB.png

    I've searched for similar threads but I either didn't understand what steps they were on, or didn't feel like our situations were similar enough.

    Some extra information I thought I should include:

    • We now have 4 wifi connections, 2 from each router
    • I have reset my router after doing these changes.
    • I tried adding the minecraft ports through windows defender firewall just to see what would happen [I have no idea what this would do, and I am not sure if I should undo this process?]

    I've been at this for a few days now and can't seem to find a solution.

    Edit: A word

    submitted by /u/wunderwolf
    [link] [comments]

    500mbps or 1gbps for smart home and streaming, gaming

    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 03:15 PM PDT

    I have a 2000 square foot home and I'm looking into getting a new isp and they offer multiple speeds including those. I'm looking to get into home automation too so would this be good?

    submitted by /u/dotcomdock
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel