• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, August 13, 2019

    Google Assistant giving "can't reach Google" response only for "what's this song?" All other input works perfectly. Android Help

    Google Assistant giving "can't reach Google" response only for "what's this song?" All other input works perfectly. Android Help


    Google Assistant giving "can't reach Google" response only for "what's this song?" All other input works perfectly.

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 05:51 PM PDT

    As the title says, the assistant works perfectly for everything except for when i ask "what's this song?" When i try that, it listens for a while, even showing the soundwave thingies as if it recognizes what it's listening to, then when you would typically get the name of the song I get "Can't reach Google at the moment."

    I've had this issue since I purchased this phone a month ago.

    So far I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the Google app to force it to update (it said it was already up to date but someone on a forum suggested trying that) and obvious things like force closing and restarting the phone.

    submitted by /u/1MillionIn2019
    [link] [comments]

    How can I get rid of this app?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 05:05 PM PDT

    Have a defunct Amazon app that's no longer supported and would like to get rid of it. Problem is, it was pre-installed on the phone when I got it. Anyway besides hacking to get rid of it?

    submitted by /u/DukeSR8
    [link] [comments]

    Running live USB Android, how can I access the PC's hard drives?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 07:03 PM PDT

    Just got back to learning French. I switch Gboard to French but it isn't recognizing French words that I swipe, only English.

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 04:14 PM PDT

    What do?

    submitted by /u/Hotel_Joy
    [link] [comments]

    Spotify Widget gone...

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 03:24 PM PDT

    Does anyone have a good alternative widget for Spotify? it's my go-to music streaming service and I used their stock widget daily. Appears they have pulled the plug on it. I don't want to have to build a widget. just want one that will work with Spotify for my home screen. thanks in advance...

    submitted by /u/MiX74P3
    [link] [comments]

    Should I switch from Dashlane to Google smart Lock or should I download an open source password manager like Bitwarden instead

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 09:09 AM PDT

    Guide to Android OEMs/phone brands

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 07:21 PM PDT

    I know the big names, Google with the Pixel series Samsung with the S/Note/A series, LG with the V/G/K/Stylo series and Motorola with the Z/G/E series (ridiculous different letters I think) as well as OnePlus because they're just numbered and easy, but the other phone brands are confusing to me, especially the likes of Nokia with all their different numbers and the many different Chinese brands. Is there a guide somewhere that outlines all the different brands as well as differentiating the different series, by flagship or mid range or budget? Or can anyone here give me a brief overview of the other major brands?

    submitted by /u/lobob8
    [link] [comments]

    Weird Bluetooth Issue

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 05:06 PM PDT

    Ever since I've owned a Pixel 2, I've had this weird issue where after about 30 minutes of playing audio (Plex, Spotify, Play Music, Player.fm, Alpha), the audio starts to skip. If I pause whatever source for about 10 seconds, then resume playback I don't have any further issues. This has happened in multiple vehicles (two different late model Volvos and a Chevy Volt).

    I've tried a few suggestions that I've found including changing the BT version under dev settings, disabling BT and WiFi scanning, changing default codec from AAC to SBC and removing battery optimization from any app that I use to stream.

    Any other suggestions? TIA.

    submitted by /u/ffejeroni
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best extensions for kiwi browser?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 09:36 PM PDT

    I want to use the most of the browser and also the videos can't autoplay the thumbnail

    submitted by /u/MaverickStatue
    [link] [comments]

    Built in weather apps all track "web browsing movements" and other info, any alternatives?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 07:17 PM PDT

    Both Accuweather's and weather.com 's privacy policy make it clear that there isn't much of anything they can't or don't collect about you. The wording is so open or vague i can't a really tell what they collect, be it your every step or very little, but the shear number of possible avenues they admit they use is kind of incredible and almost none of it relates to weather. I'm not so much worried about the tracking as i am the battery usage and the system usage which could theoretically reduce performance. And this is just one simple app, of many that in a perfect world i would love to add and keep on the phone forever, maximizing the usefulness of the phone.

    All i want in a weather app is something that checks the temp, checks the temps for the next few days, displays the info, then sets a timer to check again in a couple hours. The coding behind the information about the weather could be as little as a text field containing "65 65 68 73 86" with the app being programmed to process those numbers in order, displaying the relevant "rainy day" vs "sunny day" background image, etc.

    On a related side note: There seems to be a huge vacuum in the tech reporting space open for someone to come in and do lengthy, ongoing data, cpu usage and battery drain tests for Android market apps. As it is, im fearful to download apps and im tired of researching each app i download.

    Heres links to those policy's.

    https://www.accuweather.com/en/privacy

    https://weather.com/en-US/twc/privacy-policy

    Accuweathers is the most diabolical sounding. Heres some highlights:

    We do not respond to web browser Do Not Track signals at this time."

    If you turn off "Location Services" or a similar setting that controls GPS functionality, the device still may automatically send or receive this other information as long as you have these other communications types enabled.

    When you use AccuWeather Sites, your device may send us some or all of the following:

    GPS Coordinates. The GPS coordinates of a device. On many devices, enabling or disabling "Location Services" or a similar setting controls whether the device sends GPS coordinates.

    Internet Protocol (IP) Address. An IP Address is a number automatically assigned by Your Internet Service Provider (ISP). The IP address is the host computer a device uses to connect to the ISP's network to send information to Us or to our Providers and for a device to receive information back from Us or from our Providers.

    Device ID. A Device ID is a combination of letters and numbers that is unique to the device You are using. The Device ID identifies the device, regardless of who is using the device. On many devices, the Device ID is provided by the device manufacturer and stored permanently in the memory of the device. Depending on how the manufacturer configured the device, You may not be able to change it.

    Advertising ID (AAID) or ID for Advertising (IDFA). These are combinations of letters and numbers that are unique to the device You are using. However, these identifiers may not be permanent. Depending on Your device, You may be able to reset them through the settings of Your device or Your browser.

    Information about other devices that are near Your device. Your device commonly has several types of wireless communications methods, and each is enabled or disabled separately by You. If You are using a wireless or cellular connection, the device may log and transmit when it has come in contact or connected to other devices or components of the network the device is using. These include things such as:

    When You enable WiFi, a basic service set identifier (BSSID) of a WiFi access point near the device

    When You enable a cellular connection, a cell tower near the device

    When You enable Bluetooth, a Bluetooth beacon near the device

    Information from sensors on Your device. Many mobile devices include sensors that measure information about the surroundings of the device. These include things like gyroscopes, accelerometers and altimeters that measure things like rotation, speed direction and altitude. Some wearable devices also include sensors for body conditions like pulse and body temperature.

    Information about the performance of Your device. This may include information such as how much battery power the device is using, the operating system and version the device is using and the version of Our application the device is using.

    Cookies. Cookies are files with small amounts of data, which may include an anonymous unique identifier. If You are accessing an AccuWeather Site through a browser, including a browser on a mobile device, cookies may be sent to the browser and stored in the device's memory. This identifies the device the next time it accesses an AccuWeather Site through a browser. You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if You do not permit the device to accept cookies, Your experience may not be optimal when You return to an AccuWeather Site because We may not recognize the device. You can learn more about how we use cookies here.

    Pixel Tags, Web Beacons, Flash Shared Objects/HTML5 Local Storage/HTML5 Mini Databases. Many mobile devices use these technologies which allow for the storage of information on the mobile devices and, in effect, allow the enhancement of internet browsing The Flash Shared Objects, HTML5 Local Storage and HTML5 Mini Databases also allow the device to track a user's web browsing movements across the internet and not just on one particular website.

    submitted by /u/Thane_on_reddit
    [link] [comments]

    Best settings to change in Developer Options?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 03:44 PM PDT

    I have Developer Options enabled on my phone but I don't really have any idea what settings j could change. What settings in this mode would you advise modifying and are there any to outright avoid changing?

    submitted by /u/CalAntJ
    [link] [comments]

    Android tablet or iPad

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 03:41 PM PDT

    I have an android phone and have family sharing between everyone in the family. I'm looking to get a tablet for me and my 5 year old. We are going to use it for games, streaming media (hopefully also casting to a chromecast on my TV), and reading books and comics. I'm also interested in math, reading, and drawing apps for the kid.

    I was looking at a Galaxy Tab S4 or an iPad 6 or Air 3.

    The benefits of an Android tablet seem to be the ability to use multiple accounts and the child controls. On an iPad, we both have to use the same account and so my kid will have access to my stuff and/or I'll constantly be inputting codes to get around the access restrictions I'll need for him.

    However, people say that tablet apps are much better on an iPad and that there are way more good apps/games. I sure would like to play FTL for example, and that's not on Google Play. Given that I also want to get quality teaching apps, I wonder if it is worth putting up with the inconvenience of sharing the same account to get access to the better app store. Are the apps that much better?

    Thanks for your thoughts!

    submitted by /u/TheRedBoat
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for something to see open apps that looks like pixel

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 03:31 PM PDT

    Basically I have an ununlockable bootloader and I'm trying to get my s9 to look like stock. I am using one ui's finder app to see open apps. Is there another app I can use to see open apps that is styled like stock?

    submitted by /u/RudRecciah
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Pixel 3a my best bet for a <$400 phone?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 04:29 PM PDT

    I am in the US and hope to go with Project Fi or TMobile.

    I have been checking out all sorts of options and it seems like the 3a or the Moto G7 is a good choice.

    What matters most to me: Having a phone that will stay snappy for as long as possible. When Google stops providing updates, I'd like to move with LineageOS. Good battery life would be cool to.

    I don't play games or other graphically intensive apps.

    submitted by /u/rrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeee
    [link] [comments]

    Virus on Android phone

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 06:02 PM PDT

    I believe my son's phone has some type of virus or something. He's 8 years old and I've told him not to use the browser and ask to download apps so I can look at them. Well he didn't listen to either and now there a random ad that pops up that lasts around a minute just randomly as you use it. I've deleted all apps that can be deleted, I've went through downloads and there's nothing. Went through archives and deleted everything but I want to make sure it's gone or possible to be deleted.

    submitted by /u/keitpo
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know an API which can give me RSS data from the xml

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 07:22 PM PDT

    I'm new to Android development, I'm working on a podcast app. I feel like podcasts are around long enough to have an API for them but I'm not able to find any. Can someone please help me.

    TIA

    PS: non native English speaker, excuse my grammar.

    submitted by /u/DragonBooster1011
    [link] [comments]

    How easy could someone steal my phone? (if its unlocked and has no password)

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 09:48 PM PDT

    I feel like someone could just reset my entire device, and place their own sim card in. And they could just take my phone and use it as their own?

    If i add a password, how much safer is it from this?

    submitted by /u/ImAnIronmanBtw
    [link] [comments]

    How to hide apps in Samsung Galaxy A5 in the apps section in the settings itself

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 03:23 PM PDT

    Im playing a game called Dominations and my dad forced me to delete it he always goes through my phone and goes to settings and selects all apps and sees the games I play how can I hide them from there I dont want to install and uninstall every time I come home this game is important to me I've been playing for 2 years

    No im not a kid and its his phone handed down to me so he says he can access it strict dad issues and stuff I have here

    submitted by /u/MartialMarksman
    [link] [comments]

    Can't find video in Google Photos

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 05:01 PM PDT

    I need to clear some space in my phone so I want to remove some of the bigger videos. Before I do that I want to make sure it's backed up in Google Photos.

    Is there a way to find it? I don't want to browse through a years pictures. The file starts with 201809 etc. I did a search and didn't find it, but don't know if the naming convention is maintained? I also browsed to Sep 2018 and didn't find it. But don't know how that could be, doesnt all media get backed up? I can't imagine only some get backed up and not others. This would be the normal camera video so no reason for it to be in some obscure video that Photos wouldn't be backing up.

    Anyway, if it's not there, how do I back up this file? Not sure how to instruct Photos to back up a specific file.

    submitted by /u/ZiggyZig1
    [link] [comments]

    Turn On In App Purchases?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 04:51 PM PDT

    [From reading the rules here, I am unsure if I am allowed to ask this here, but I'll move it if necessary]

    I cannot make purchases from within applications. I am, however, still able to purchase applications from within the PlayStore. It appears that the pop-up screen that appears when one wants to make an IAP just isn't working, or is possibly disabled for me. This affects every single app that utilises the Google Pay popup payment method selector window.

    Has anyone else ever experienced this?


    Extra details:

    Phone: Vivo IQOO (8GB)
    Android: 9 (stock)

    submitted by /u/Renegade-MMXV
    [link] [comments]

    Gamepigeon on android?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 08:23 PM PDT

    Why do all flagship Android smartphones lack a headphone jack?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 08:17 PM PDT

    I'm asking this question from a bottom-up perspective. Over the years, I've noticed that most phones which don't have a headphone jack are flagship phones, while those that still have a headphone jack are mid-range phones.

    For example, Xiaomi's redmi midrange lineup still all have the headphone jack, while their flagship Mi and Mi Mix lineup don't.

    Another example is the Moto Z (flagship, no jack) vs Moto Z play (midrange, with jack).

    And another example is the Huawei P30 Pro (flagship, no jack) vs P30 (lesser flagship, with jack).

    And recently Samsung's most premium offering, the Note 10, doesn't have the headphone jack either, which further begs this question.

    And now the question is, why? How does this decision even make any logical sense? Shouldn't the "pro" variant get the headphone jack?

    submitted by /u/NeonHD
    [link] [comments]

    Why is there still no faster "right-click" or long press for the "paste" context menu to show up?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 07:22 PM PDT

    I type a lot in my phone and invoking the Paste context menu option is my most used item. Is this by design to have like a 1.5 second delay for it to show up after a long press? Why can't we have a compromise and have a custom speed setting or is this available in Android Q? If the teardrop icon appears right underneath the blinking cursor, you can tap that and the context menu appears, but that teardrop doesn't always show up in all text fields so it's inconsistent. With the iPhone, it can show via either a quick double tap or a single short press on a text field, about 0.5 seconds faster than with the Android phones I've used. I know this is not a chip hardware dependent problem as you can adjust the speed of the GBoard app's "Key long press delay" from 100 milliseconds and higher.

    submitted by /u/tnap4
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a case with a cover for the camera

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 07:52 AM PDT

    My last two cases have been quite rugged (Otterbox and Armadillotek) but eventually both let me down when something ended up damaging the camera lens on the back of the phone.

    Is there a brand out there that has a rugged case that also covers the camera? Preferably with a sliding door or something to still allow the camera to be used.

    I've used Samsung phones traditionally, but I'd be willing to pick my next phone based on getting a case that won't let the camera be damaged.

    submitted by /u/SoftSeat
    [link] [comments]

    Read caller ID

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 02:52 PM PDT

    Hey guys !

    I want my phone to read my caller name out loud when the phone is ringing. Anyone knows how to do this ? I'm running EMUI 9.1 on P20 Lite.

    submitted by /u/Lunar_99
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel