• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, July 5, 2019

    User Reads Manual Before Calling Support Tech Support

    User Reads Manual Before Calling Support Tech Support


    User Reads Manual Before Calling Support

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 10:15 AM PDT

    I swear this actually happened!

    We're in the middle of a new laptop rollout at work, and one user got her new laptop this morning. A few minutes ago she called asking for help setting up her SoftPhone (Shoretel).

    Her actual question was "what's the server name we're supposed to use?". Ok, not atypical so far... I tell her the name, but she says it's still not working for her. In that event the problem is usually the password... The phone system is not integrated into our directory, has higher complexity requirement than we're using in the rest of the organization, and the software allows users to save their password. The end result of is that no one knows their password.

    So I go ahead and reset her password, and remote in to help her through the configuration. When I get in, I see that the server name was put in as name. domain. tld (note the spaces). I take out the spaces, enter her temporary password, and get her logged in (complete with password reset on first login).

    Here's where it gets crazy... Once I finish I notice that Acrobat is open in the background. The document: How to Configure Shoretel Client.

    The user actually went out looking for documentation from our document management systems (which most of our users are allergic to - one actually complained to the Joint Health and Safety Committee that having to use it represented a psycho-socio workplace hazard.), found it, opened it, and read it before calling for support.

    Let's just say that in the past 10 minutes I've gone around to everyone in my team and told then about this and they don't believe it either.

    TL;DR: Read the title.

    submitted by /u/theservman
    [link] [comments]

    Are You *Sure* it's Plugged In?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 05:40 PM PDT

    In the other half of my life I'm an AV tech, but this summer I'm a counselor at a farm camp.

    The whole camp is doing a 4th of July activity, I'm supposed to be off, but $user comes up to me as I'm walking around and bows to me.

    $User: $Vespum, We need your royal touch.
    $Vespum: What'd you break?
    $User: $Cellist is trying to play her cello and It's not coming out of the speakers.
    $Vespum: Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
    $User: I did, $Cellist did, $MC did, it's still broken.
    $Vespum: Ok, but if it's not plugged in I'm going to laugh at you.
    $User: All you need to do is look at it and it'll start working again. I have faith in you.

    We walk over to the speaker and it is, indeed, not working, with a gaggle of people staring at it. I start to trace the cable back to the main mixer.

    $MC: Oh, it's not plugged in.

    Exit $Vespum, laughing.

    submitted by /u/vespum
    [link] [comments]

    Okay, but I can't find outlook!!

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 06:36 PM PDT

    I work for an MSP as a network architect. From time to time when summer vacations role around, I end up covering helpdesk for the odd call or two.

    Anyway, today I got a ticket placed in my queue for a password reset. I was going to re-assign it, but it was close to the end of the day, and I figured it was a nice easy way to begin winding down.

    We will call this person Brian because that's his name. Brian's password expired and needed it reset. Rather than resetting it, I figured I'd show him how to change it on a terminal server when he gets the email it was about to expire. Mistake number 1.

    As I was working with him, he had this weird obsession with Outlook. It was so bizzare.

    Anyway, instructed Brian to go to our webpage and download our remote software. This was a twenty minute affair. Brian was extremely concerned about where Outlook was. Eventually, we got there. The conversation after the file was done downloading went something like this:

    Me:"Okay, now run it"

    Brian: "okay, but outlook closed, one second".

    The call took over an hour, mostly because Brian "is not good with computers, lol" (understatement of the century).

    After remoting in, I finally found out the reason for Brian's obsession. To browse to a website, Brian composes a new message in Outlook and types in the website (http prefix and all), and then sends it to himself. Then, he clicks on the link he sent to himself. This is how Brian browses the internet.

    To Brian, there is nothing wrong with this. That is what email is for, right? I should also mention that Brian is an accountant. He should know what a browser is, as their accounting software is web-based.

    It was at this point I decided I'm too old for this, packed up my shit, and left an hour early.

    Happy Thursday everyone.

    submitted by /u/Just_Add_Bacon
    [link] [comments]

    Power Outage? Wifi still on? Beeping noise coming from 3rd floor closet? Probably fine, right?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 10:03 AM PDT

    When I was in high school (6+ years ago) I was the unofficial tech support for my small private high school. Printer not working? I'd get pulled out of class. VHS player not working? Called in from recess. And so on.

    One day, I'm in art class on the 3rd floor of my 3-story school building when the power goes out. Right away, everyone checks their phones and sees that the wireless is still on. Strange. Then someone pulls up the local power company's outage map. Four parts of the county are without power, all in expensive neighborhoods/ areas. So the three classes on the 3rd floor meet in the middle and are texting, calling, googling away. Rumors that its a terrorist attack (I live in an area with lots of government employees) start to circulate.

    10 minutes have passed at this point. I'm on my phone when I hear a beeping noise coming from a utility closet. So I walk over and open the door to find a mess of cables and a lot of flashing lights (current me would be furious on how haphazard the setup was). I manage to figure out that a router is in here and it is hooked up to a UPS. This takes me about five minutes. Meanwhile, both students and staff have passed by me, in the closet that absolutely should have been locked, and continue to ignore me.

    After a few more minutes, the beeping stops and the wifi is still on, so I call it quits, not wanting to mess with it anymore. I leave the closet and sit back down.

    Even though multiple teachers and staff saw me in there, I was never spoken to about it or admonished/punished in any way.

    And it wasn't a terrorist attack, obviously. Just a random power outage.

    submitted by /u/ColBlackhawk
    [link] [comments]

    Well, maybe the guy only had his right eye.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 02:38 AM PDT

    Me, working 1st line in a support company that provides cloud services for other companies.

    User, a random user who called me.

    User: "I am in Outlook, and I cannot open any windows from here."

    Me: "Sure, what kind of windows?"

    User: "Any windows. PDF attachments, my calendar notifications... I can see them in the task bar but cannot open them."

    I get a remote connection onto his session. I can see Outlook on his right screen, and a PDF and calendar notifications on his left screen.

    User: "See? I click on Adobe Reader there, and nothing is coming on"

    Adobe Reader on his left screen flashes as he minimizes and reopens it. I take over and click on his calendar notifications.

    Me: "So if I do this, you can't see the notifications?"

    User: "No."

    Me: "Well, they are shown on a second screen."

    So the guy is a single-screen user but a ghost screen has been created by Citrix that now thinks it's dual-screened. Can be a pain to troublesh-

    User: "Oh indeed, I can see them. Thank you!"

    I was so baffled that I did not ask why he did not look at his second screen. My only theory is that he connected a TV and forgot to disconnect it, but he was so quick at saying that he was seeing the second screen now... well, at least it was a quick one.

    submitted by /u/PhiphyL
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel