• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, July 1, 2019

    Simple Questions - July 01, 2019

    Simple Questions - July 01, 2019


    Simple Questions - July 01, 2019

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 05:20 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    AM4 Vcore VRM Ratings to help you decide on a mobo for 3rd gen Ryzen

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 02:40 AM PDT

    Heyo everyone, you may know me from such VRM tier lists as this one, and love it or hate it, I hope it's helped people make better decisions when purchasing mobos for Ryzen.

    But recently every hardware subreddit is getting bombarded with questions about "is my mobo good enough for 3rd gen" or "is xyz AM4 motherboard good for xyz [3rd gen Ryzen] CPU".

    Obviously you can reply with "oh no one knows, bait for wenchmarks" and sure that's an okay response, but from the material AMD has shown off and with what Buildzoid's been saying in his most recent PCB breakdowns, we can kinda gauge where 3rd gen Ryzen is gunna fit in terms of Vcore current draw and therefore provide some more useful advice to people when deciding on a motherboard for their next gen Ryzen.

    And so therefore I've created a list that has every single AM4 mobo (that isn't A320) with a recommendation for various current draw ratings that roughly line up with where I think the 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs are gunna fit in at stock and with a maxed out OC. There's also some basic Vcore VRM info for for every motherboard.

    You can find the list here in spreadsheet form.

    Or here in image form.

    There's a few things to note/explain about the list:

    • Every current draw bracket has some CPUs at the top of the column to indicate what CPU under what scenario fits there, so for example the 150A category is appropriate for highly OC'd 3900X's.

    • These current draw figures are for very high current draw scenarios, like with P95 AVX or IBT running. The [OC] tag represents a very aggressive ambient OC, like 4.2GHz at 1.38V for a 2700X. The [Stock] placements I'm a bit more uncertain about, particularly with the 3950X, that could be closer to somewhere in between 150A and 100A.

    • For phase count, something like 6 + 6 indicates a 6 phase design using doublers, and also there's no differentiation for "big" phases, which have more components per phase. Instead the mosfet count per phase is just increased.

    • If the rating is "not recommended" that doesn't mean it won't work, I just don't think it'd work very well, or if you had less stringent requirements, then you might be able to get it to work. Like some of MSI's decent B450/X470 boards (B450/X470 Gaming Plus etc.) might be okay with a 3950X OC if you weren't hammering it and if you had a less aggressive OC or if you had some airflow in combination with some of those other stipulations.

    • I've also included a column for mobos that support BIOS Flashback without a CPU installed, as per this list.

    • If there's something in the square brackets for a mobo name, that row includes both the variant that includes whatever's in the brackets and doesn't include it. For example the TUF B450[M]-Pro Gaming's information is accurate for both the TUF B450-Pro Gaming and the TUF B450M-Pro Gaming.

    I'm also working on an updated version of my Vcore VRM tier list that will include X570 and X470/B450 with tiers divided by current draw like in this list, hopefully should have that done in a day or two.

    If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to drop them below.

    EDIT: Just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone who's said thanks or given gold/platinum, really means a lot!

    submitted by /u/Cr1318
    [link] [comments]

    Found this gem the other day, receipt from my first PC

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 11:48 AM PDT

    Monster PC (for 1997 for a kid spending all his grocery sacking money on anyways)

    submitted by /u/impala454
    [link] [comments]

    First PC build day: success!

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 01:53 PM PDT

    Just finished my first build. A 1080p beast (in the next years it could be upgraded to a higher resolution)

    I must add that ive ive never built a pc before and this was very fun to do. I watched tons of youtube vids and also read a lot this subreddit. I bought the parts through a couple of months and finally! Its working perfectly.

    Just a couple of things id like to mention from this experience:

    To me installing the dark rock pro 4 cooler and connecting the power cables to the MB were the hardest bits of the build (probably due to my noob level), but overall it wasnt a hard task to do

    The build and setting the thing up took me a total of 7 hours but i took a lot of YT and friend consulting breaks and a couple of beer breaks with the missus

    I had a gaming pc 15 years ago but never accessed the bios nor anything like that. I must say now i just really pulled the trigger and ive learned so much about pcs. If someone is hesitating about building his own pc, just do it! With all the resources online ANYONE can build a pc of his own without blowing anything up in the process.

    Now i have to learn how to OC

    Right now im downloading my first game: Metro trilogy!

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $349.99 @ Amazon
    CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $88.09 @ Amazon
    Motherboard MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $226.98 @ Newegg
    Memory G.Skill - Trident Z Royal 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
    Storage Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $117.99 @ Amazon
    Storage Western Digital - Blue 1 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.52 @ OutletPC
    Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card $534.99 @ SuperBiiz
    Case Corsair - Carbide Series 678C ATX Mid Tower Case $139.99 @ Newegg
    Power Supply SeaSonic - 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Amazon
    Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro French CDN - DVD 64-bit -
    Monitor Asus - VG278Q 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $283.99 @ Amazon
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $1977.52
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-01 16:55 EDT-0400
    submitted by /u/DrRodo
    [link] [comments]

    Buy AMD 7 2700 or wait until AMD 5 3600X

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 02:51 PM PDT

    Answered

    I've been saving my money until July 7th to buy an AMD 5 3600x to accompany my RTX 2080 to stop bottlenecking and have a more stable FPS. But I don't know if older motherboards will support Zen2. So would you guys think it's safer just to go with AMD 7 2700 (it's on sale rn on Amazon for $200) and buy B450 tomahawk motherboard. Or should I just wait until July 7th to find more information what about Zen2? (I was originally going go to get AMD 5 3600X, and a B550 tomahawk but I can't find any info about the B550 or it's release)

    Edit: Thanks for the fast responses, I've decided to just wait the week and get AMD 5 3600X. Now if I do get the AMD 5 3600x. I just want to know if it will be compatible with older motherboards such B450 or X570. (I know some of you told me in the comments, but I just want to make extra sure)

    submitted by /u/BobSagetfromFH
    [link] [comments]

    Build a Plex server

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 02:44 PM PDT

    I'm looking for advice on components to build a Plex server no more than 700 without hard drive I have 10x10tb

    I own WD pr2100 (20tb) And PC /Hackintosh I5 9600k 16g ram 20tb hard drive . 500ssd I just don't want to have that PC 24/7

    So I decide to build Plex server to round 24/7

    Any help

    submitted by /u/cuchyto
    [link] [comments]

    What would happen if I put a incompatible cpu into a motherboard? Would any hardware be damaged?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 02:39 PM PDT

    So I am trying to do a budget cpu upgrade on a old office rig which had a i7-4790 that I took out. Not 100% sure what the mobo was but am 95% sure I have the right chipset and socket. So my question is that if I buy a cpu and it is incompatible with the motherboard would any hardware be damaged?

    submitted by /u/aqian1
    [link] [comments]

    DDR5 RAM - Realistically, how far off are we from it?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:24 AM PDT

    Many websites suggest ddr5 hitting the market in q1 2020, is this reasonable? Curious what the new x570 boards will have for support.

    submitted by /u/yeetlitty
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for improving my build and cutting cost?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:54 AM PDT

    Setting up my first PC build. I'm located in Canada. I have a budget of $1500 but would like to keep the price of the pc as far below $1300 as possible to leave money for monitor, keyboard, games, etc. I'm waiting til after 7/7 to buy the cpu in case there's good pricing/availability on the 3600 but since I'm in Canada it's not likely. Hoping to build one that can run AAA games at 1080p 144hz at high settings over 60fps. I'm also planning a dual monitor setup: one 1440p 144hz and one 1080p 60hz. Suggestions on a 1440p monitor are also welcome. Thanks!

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $259.25 @ shopRBC
    Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $146.95 @ Vuugo
    Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg Canada
    Storage Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $134.99 @ Newegg Canada
    Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card $474.50 @ Vuugo
    Case NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $111.99 @ Amazon Canada
    Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Canada Computers
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $1292.66
    Mail-in rebates -$15.00
    Total $1277.66
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-01 11:53 EDT-0400
    submitted by /u/Foozedude
    [link] [comments]

    I need a great budget mouse n keyboard and a headset! Any recommendations?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 04:43 PM PDT

    Hey I am going to be building my Pc in the next few weeks but I wanted to get my headset, keyboard and mouse first and was wondering what everyone is recommending for me to check out as im alittle lost with this subject!

    I would appreciate any recommendations ^

    submitted by /u/Simonnn19
    [link] [comments]

    CPU air cooler | case exhausts on top

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:44 PM PDT

    Are fans good positioned like this? As you can see I have 1 exhaust at rear, 2 exhausts at top, 1 intake at bottom and 3 intakes at front.

    Would the second top exhaust conflict with the CPU cooler fan being this close and maybe "stealing" airflow? Temperatures are good but I am curious since the rear and first top fans exhaust hot air while the second top exhuast exhuasts only warm air

    submitted by /u/DingoKis
    [link] [comments]

    I'm still fairly new to the building side of Gaming Desktops... but any advice would be appreciated :)

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 02:29 PM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    I am looking to use this specifically for gaming in 4k.

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    Resolution: 4k Framerate: Average of 60Fps Game Settings: Ultra

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    Around the £2000-£2600 mark

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    United Kingdom

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    *CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 3.7 Ghz 6-Core

    *CPU Cooler: Cool Master-Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

    *Mothrboard: Gigabyte-Z390 Aorus Ultra ATX LGA1151

    *RAM: Corsair-Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-4266

    *Storage: Samsung-860 Evo 4TB 2.5 SSD

    *Video card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080ti 11GB Founders Edition OR GeForce NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti (Unsure)

    *Case: Thermaltake- View 32 TG ATX Mid Tower Case

    *Power: EVGA-SuperNOVA G2 750w 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX PSU

    submitted by /u/Dragmassanthem
    [link] [comments]

    Can a PC be near the bathroom door?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 06:35 AM PDT

    My partner is freaking out about this. We have the IKEA MALM desk with a pull out smaller desk - so the PC is covered by the desk on the right (which is closer to the door), front and top. The PC is under the desk and about 1 - 2ft away from the bathroom door but we have a powerful extraction fan. Opinions?

    He's worried about steam/moisture getting to the PC.

    submitted by /u/5ft2ButBetterThanU
    [link] [comments]

    Input on 1440p 144Hz Monitors

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 03:35 PM PDT

    I'm trying to decide between the S2716DGF (300) and Nixeus EDG 27 V2 (400). I'm also open to suggestions between those two price points, are not curved, and have freesync.

    My build will have a Vega 56 and a ryzen 3000 processor. I'm aware that the Vega won't completely max out this kind of monitor but I'm okay with tuning the settings.

    submitted by /u/hungrydano
    [link] [comments]

    RX 570: what can I expect?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 05:32 AM PDT

    My main rig has gone under quite the transformation. I replaced my main boot drive with an SSD, replaced the case fans with two brand new fans, and have just moved in to one of the most expensive parts in my build: The graphics card.

    Now, The card I decided on is a Gigabyte Gaming RX 570 with 8GB of Vram. This card was chosen after about a month of consideration and will be replacing my Asus GTX 750Ti. The question is: how much of a performance increase will I see in games like Overwatch, and Destiny 2?

    submitted by /u/boscocraftXD
    [link] [comments]

    Just built my first pc. No internet

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 02:43 PM PDT

    Im stumped. It might be something really stupid... just built a

    I5 9600k Gigabyte aorus elite z390 mb 500gb nvme 3200 ram 16gb. Etc..

    Fresh brand new copy of windows 10.

    Got everything going loaded windows etc... but internet is not working. Its plugged into an ethernet cable and old pc worked fine 2 hours ago from same cable.

    What am i doing wrong??

    submitted by /u/Shintard
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Seasonic FOCUS 550 Gold a good PSU?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 04:54 PM PDT

    I've been searching for a good psu for a while and I came across this one. Does anyone know if it's good and if I should get it?

    submitted by /u/levonzaj
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade Time - looking for some advice on today's PC market

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 04:37 PM PDT

    Hello all, it's upgrade season for me. I imagine like many others in my position, I have not been tuned into the PC market of 2019. I would like some advice from the well informed individuals of r/buildapc so I can get pointed in the right direction.

    This is my build from 2014: PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU Intel - Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $194.99
    Motherboard Asus - Z97-AR ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $107.99
    Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $86.99
    Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.98
    Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 970 4 GB G1 Gaming Video Card $399.98
    Case Fractal Design - Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99
    Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99
    Optical Drive Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $22.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $1022.90
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-01 18:59 EDT-0400

    My goals:

    1. Run modern AAA games at 1080p and 144hz with ease on high/max settings (would settle for 60hz if not possible)
    2. Keep upgrades under $1,000 (lower is better of course)
    3. Prefer not to upgrade power supply or motherboard
    4. Not interested in overclocking

    I'm not sure how reasonable meeting all these goals are in today's market, which is why I'm asking you all. My instincts are to replace the GPU first, then CPU if needed, and throw in some more RAM for good measure. But what would your strategy be?

    Thank you anyone for advice!

    submitted by /u/usernamesaretootuff
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap PC Without GPU

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 04:31 PM PDT

    I just upgraded from a 780ti and want to build a second pc for my girlfriend around it for as cheap as possible. Are there resources to help?

    submitted by /u/cbparsons
    [link] [comments]

    When will X570 motherboards be out?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 04:28 PM PDT

    Hello, so I want to buy an X570 motherboard for the Ryzen 9 3900x that's coming out, but I'm not seeing any release dates for any of the X570 motherboards? Does anyone know when they will be out? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Ppk2128
    [link] [comments]

    Good idea to get a 1660 Ti right now?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 04:23 PM PDT

    Returned my defective 1660 and am now looking at getting a 1660 Ti. I'd like to get it today or tomorrow, but at the same time, a bunch of things are being released in the coming weeks. If I buy from EVGA off of Amazon ($310), will I be protected if a price drop occurs?

    submitted by /u/zzBacon
    [link] [comments]

    First time builder, no idea how/what the cables are or how they connect

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 01:53 PM PDT

    Hello I recently bought my first pc components and realized once I had put all the hardware in my case I had 0 idea how any of the cables from the PSU connect to the motherboard and vice versa. I have these components:

    Intel i7-8700 MSI z390 gaming edge AC Corsair H100i rgb platinum cpu cooler Corsair Vengeance 16gb rgb RAM WD 500gb SATA M.2 SSD WD 500gb 2.5" SSD Corsair CX650M PSU 80+Bronze Gigabyte Windforce GeForce GTX1070 And I'm using a Corsair Crystal 570X case

    I've tried looking at the motherboard manual and power supply manual but once again I'm completely new and have no idea what some of these cables are used for as well as no idea where they connect and which cables are extra. I have tried YouTube, Corsair forum, and even a Toms hardware forum but it's like reading another language. Please if anyone has some beginner advice I really need the help. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/flowerosin13
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap starter build for my buddy only sourcing from Amazon

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 03:59 PM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    My buddy has been playing mostly Rocket League and DOTA2 on his laptop from 2009. I've been talking to him about building his own for years now, and he finally caved. He got a $500 gift card to Amazon and challenged me to come up with a build that could play those games on "better than n64 graphics."

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for?

    Honestly just 1080p for Rocket League Medium+ settings. He's not picky and not very interested in new games outside of the occasional CCG or DOTA autochess.

    What is your budget?

    $500 including monitor and kb+m, but it's a little flexible.

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    US - Amazon.com only

    Post a draft of your potential build here.

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $91.99 @ Amazon
    Motherboard Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $77.99 @ Amazon
    Memory Kingston - HyperX Fury 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $36.99 @ Amazon
    Storage ADATA - Ultimate SU650 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $35.00
    Case Rosewill - FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $24.99 @ Amazon
    Power Supply EVGA - BT 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.46 @ Amazon
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $311.42
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-01 18:41 EDT-0400

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    My thought process is to start him with a Ryzen 3 2200G so he can take advantage of the Vega graphics until he's ready to buy a dedicated GPU. I'm not too worried about discussing monitor/peripherals unless there's anything interesting on buying these things from Amazon. I'm more curious for everyone's thoughts on the Ryzen 3 2200G as a starter decision.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/schtvr
    [link] [comments]

    Combining RAM sticks with different CAS latencies

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:58 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I have a black and white themed PC, currently running these RAM sticks in dual channel:
    https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX426C15FBK2_16.pdf

    I'd like to add two of these to them:
    https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/hx426c16fw2k2_16.pdf

    Is it a bad idea? Will it run, or will I get myself in trouble?

    Thanks for your advice.

    submitted by /u/tinnyx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel