• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, July 2, 2019

    Linux Remoting in while running a VPN

    Linux Remoting in while running a VPN


    Remoting in while running a VPN

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 10:03 AM PDT

    I'm trying to make a server and want to remote into it while it's running a VPN. So I'm running RealVNC and the NordVPN client as the VPN on Ubuntu. Once I turn on my VPN, I can't access the server within my network. Is there a way to make an exception on certain programs from my VPN?

    submitted by /u/Mtunberg
    [link] [comments]

    AsRock boot manager only showing 1 OS instead of 2

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 03:48 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    A couple days ago i've installed a dual boot with windows ten and Pop!_OS. Windows 10 was already installed. I have have each OS on a separate SSD and they both work fine. The problem i have is: is that when i boot my pc it detects most of the time only the Pop OS and not the windows. Even when i restart it will only show the Pop OS. Some times when i boot it will show the windows boot and i can boot into windows, but when i restart, it will only show Pop OS

    Specs:

    Mobo: AsRock E3V5 W3 Super Alloy. SSD's: Kingston 240GB uv500.

    Can someone help me with this?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/seanpaulh
    [link] [comments]

    How can I grant site permissions in Gnome Web/Epiphany?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 11:42 AM PDT

    When I access websites that allow webcam/mic usage in other browsers, I can't grant permissions for their usage in this browser. Besides going with a different web browser, is there a solution to this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Muxika
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way for nm-applet to remember my WiFi password?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 01:00 AM PDT

    Every time I log in, nm-applet is like PASWOR PLS!!1!

    Is there an alternate network manager or a setting for nm-applet to remember my password?

    submitted by /u/yabobay
    [link] [comments]

    SalientOS

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    Was just wondering if anyone has heard of salientOS. It seems pretty new and based off of Arch was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it.

    submitted by /u/thatghostkid64
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu Mate 19.04 Runs Hotter than Windows any advice?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 01:25 PM PDT

    This is the laptop I have [Here]

    [Here is my Powertop]

    I'm using Nvidia-driver-418

    [Here are my sensors 64c]

    any advice?

    submitted by /u/Jon2D
    [link] [comments]

    terminal wont register a zip file

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 01:14 PM PDT

    i am trying to unzip a file using the the terminal "unzip file.zip" but it keeps saying it cant find the file

    submitted by /u/Keeperofbeesandtruth
    [link] [comments]

    Mint not recognizing my ethernet

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 12:17 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I've just installed Mint "Tessa" and I can't connect my ethernet. It didn't work on the USB either (something about activation network failed) and i even tried to do a "ifdown enp0s7" only to be greeted with a "unknown interface" message. I know that's not my ethernet because I have my Xbox One and my smart tv on the very same switch (but they do get disconnected when I try to connect the PC).

    Could you guys give me a hand on this?

    submitted by /u/thassae
    [link] [comments]

    Would you recommend VS Code for GCC C development on Linux?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 12:12 PM PDT

    How powerful is VS Code for GCC on Linux (Ubuntu Desktop)?

    It's my editor of choice, but do you recommend something else? Maybe something that is more powerful?

    What are you thoughts on VS Code for GCC C?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SocialMammoth
    [link] [comments]

    weird boot sequence on mint 19.1

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 03:07 AM PDT

    I recently installed using a flash drive. but when i turn it off and back on again, it'll flash the lock screen then the keyboard and mouse will turn off. It'll then go into a grub boot-loader with the options to boot, go into recovery or reinstall. I'm not sure if this is normal or if the boot files are broken.

    submitted by /u/Kamichiko
    [link] [comments]

    Changing colors with vim

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:04 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I recently found out it's simple to change the colors of vim, just:

    :colorscheme + tab and you can choose from many colors.

    or if you are really lazy :colo + tab

    But is there a way to change the font color of text via commands?

    submitted by /u/orrpel
    [link] [comments]

    "fstrim: /: the discard operation is not supported"

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 11:47 AM PDT

    I have an SSD mounted at the root directory with a separate /boot and efi partitions, and my /home directory on a hard drive, with both the root and home directories encrypted. I want to trim the SSD, but the command sudo fstrim / doesn't work and returns this error:

    fstrim: /: the discard operation is not supported 

    I am using Manjaro Linux.

    How do I fix this error?

    submitted by /u/AgreeableLandscape3
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use a non-OS-based boot loader / boot manager to dual boot L & W and have each partition or disk completely hidden from the other OS at run-time?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 07:28 AM PDT

    Apologies for my novice. I might not even be asking this question right.

    What I'm trying to achieve is fully-encrypted, self-contained OS partitions that are completely ignorant of the other partition depending on which system is running at the moment. Near as I'm aware right now, Either Windows or Linux has to own the boot process in a dual-boot system with it's own boot loader.

    A century ago I recall using, I think, the boot manager utility provided Partition Magic 3. It was some ancillary add-on utility that came with the larger product. I could boot either Windows or Linux from a partition and the running OS would only see (again, foggy memory here) a hidden or unusable partition where the other OS bits reside.

    Is this still a doable thing?

    submitted by /u/i_am_fear_itself
    [link] [comments]

    Help with some decisions about upcoming switch to linux

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:51 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I am in the process of building a new desktop and am currently stuck on the decision for a cpu as well as which distro to use. I am migrating from windows 10.

    CPU:
    So the main decision is between getting an r7 3700x or an i9 9900k. First of all, the price difference is not real in my case because I am building mITX. Based on the pricing trend so far it seem that the strix mITX for x570 is going to cost me at least $300. With intel I would be able to get the auros motherboard for $150. The price difference just falls to the processor and is ultimately ~$50 and thus not a big deal. My question is: what sort of performance differences I will see? Obviously I don't mean literally between the 3700x and 9900k because that is impossible to know right now, but between amd and intel? Which of the two tends to run better on linux? Are there certain strong/weak points for each?

    Distro:

    The main use of the computer will be general programming and machine learning. I also play some games as well like civilization or total war). I have been looking at fedora 30 because I like the way it looks way more than ubuntu, but I don't know the intricacies of the different distros (I am very new to linux), so i don't want to commit to anything without being sure that my choice won't inhibit certain tasks I need to perform.

    Any help would be very much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/iznim
    [link] [comments]

    If I were to use ubuntu Linux, how would I be able to switch to windows when I wanna use it for gaming?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 09:10 AM PDT

    Hi there! So I got a gaming PC recently and I, of course, want to play games on it, but I do want to install Linux while playing games on the best OS. So I'm gonna do a dual boot and I have one question, how would I use ubuntu one time and then if I wanna use windows, how do I switch to windows?

    submitted by /u/Spadey0
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to uninstall old "mysql-utilities_1.6.5-1ubuntu16.10_all.deb" package.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 01:12 AM PDT

    My Java Sir told me to install MySQL-server, workbench, and connector. I did that somehow.

    After launching Workbench, I went to Tools > Start Shell for MySQL Utilities. Which gave me this popup:

    https://i.redd.it/wz9dyn34mu731.png

    Pressing Download option redirected me to this website: https://downloads.mysql.com/archives/utilities/

    https://i.redd.it/683auka8mu731.png

    After installing this package, whenever i run: sudo apt update, I get this error:

    pranav@inspiron-5548:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade [sudo] password for pranav: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Calculating upgrade... Done The following packages will be REMOVED: mysql-connector-python 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded. 1 not fully installed or removed. After this operation, 1,362 kB disk space will be freed. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y (Reading database ... 216555 files and directories currently installed.) Removing mysql-connector-python (8.0.16-1ubuntu19.04) ... Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 1, in <module> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'distutils.sysconfig' dpkg: error processing package mysql-connector-python (--remove): installed mysql-connector-python package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing: mysql-connector-python E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) 

    So, i thought i should uninstalled this, and i used below command, but it also didn't worked:

    pranav@inspiron-5548:~$ sudo apt-get remove --purge mysql-connector-python Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following packages will be REMOVED: mysql-connector-python 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded. 1 not fully installed or removed. After this operation, 1,362 kB disk space will be freed. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y (Reading database ... 216556 files and directories currently installed.) Removing mysql-connector-python (8.0.16-1ubuntu19.04) ... Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 1, in <module> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'distutils.sysconfig' dpkg: error processing package mysql-connector-python (--remove): installed mysql-connector-python package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing: mysql-connector-python E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) 

    What to do? I am in limbo here! Since anything is done in "mysql-utilities" is aged back to Jan 17, 2017, I don't think I will be needing this anymore. I did the mistake trying to install old archived deb package. (newbie)

    OS: Ubuntu 19.04

    IF u know, how to remove it, what is it, it would be really helpful to tell me about it.

    submitted by /u/Arunzeb
    [link] [comments]

    Can't access internet from inside but can be reached from outside

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:41 AM PDT

    source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

    # the loopback network interface

    auto lo ens33

    iface lo inet loopback

    # the primary network interface

    auto ens33

    iface ens33 inet static

    pre-up /sbin/ethtool -K ens33 tso off

    pre-up /sbin/ethtool -K ens33 gso off

    address 137.56.240.156

    netmask 255.255.255.255

    gateway 137.56.240.254

    # the secondary network interface

    auto ens34

    iface ens34 inet static

    pre-up /sbin/ethtool -K ens34 tso off

    pre-up /sbin/ethtool -K ens34 gso off

    address 192.168.32.10

    netmask 255.255.255.0

    network 192.168.32.0

    post-up route add -net 192.168.32.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.32.20

    post-up route add -net 192.168.33.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.32.20

    What is wrong with this configuration?

    submitted by /u/htxgivven
    [link] [comments]

    Can't type curly brace "{" pressing AltGr + 7 results in "|"

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 02:16 AM PDT

    So I'm running elementary os on my ThinkPad T480s with a Swedish keyboard. For some reason I can't type the left curly brace. But two key combinations results in the pipe character. Both AltGr + 7 and AltGr + <>| results in a pipe character.

    How can I remapp AltGr + 7 to result in left curly brace?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JSRF17
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with backup on shutdown

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 05:36 AM PDT

    Hey folks,

    I am wanting to write a script to have my system to connect to a network with a nas drive, thats using samba shares, and then backup. Then shutdown the system.

    So in other words , I want to have my system backup on shutdown to a nas drive on a specific network. Where would I need to start? Can anyone point me to the proper learning resources or community that could explain it to me like im five? No experience writing any sort of script, or code, or etc....

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/0n2s
    [link] [comments]

    Mac Dual boot problem with Linux mint 19.1 Cinnamon

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:48 PM PDT

    So I tried a dual install of Mint on my mac. The mac is a 27' Late 2013 imac with 3.2ghz intel core i5 and 32 GB 1600 DDR3

    I started out on the mac partitioning for the install making a swap partition and one for the install. Both were formatted MS-DOS (FAT). I used a bootable USB drive for the install. When I got to the boot screen, it recognized the USB drive and let me try Mint. Everything looked fine. I went thru the install following instructions exactly I got from a youtube video where he was doing the same install except with Ubuntu. Installation type = Something else, Edited the partition to Ext4 journalling file system. made the swap area, did the install. Everything was looking fine.

    After the install was complete, I had to restart. Upon restarting the mac booted back into the Mac OS. I tried Option on restart to see if I could boot into my newly installed Linux and it was not an option.

    Started the process over from the beginning and this time instead of the mount point being FAT as before it is blank and the ext4 now says that it has the 'Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa (19.1)' as the System. Despite the FAT no longer being listed on the Mount Point, I tried to repeat my steps and again upon the restart after installation my computer booted back into Mac OS.

    At this point I am stuck. Other than installing Mint instead of Ubuntu I did everything the same as the video I watched but the restart always goes straight to Mac and has no other boot options if I don't have the bootable USB drive inserted.

    For anyone that want's it, the video instructions I followed are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRgKlcm1XPI I have always been more of a reddit lurker so I am not certain how links are looked on in this subreddit. Either way, I would appreciate any insight, as I would really like to learn Linux, but I am having a heck of a hard time getting the install working as a dual boot.

    submitted by /u/Xodus80
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a program that can show popup box when text is selected.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 12:42 AM PDT

    Hi all ḯ didn't know where to put this so hope this is ok.

    I'm looking for a program that will let me input text, but then attach other words to the text which become visible when the text is highlighted. So if any of you are familiar with google translates add-on for Chrome, i want it to do a similar thing but so i can do it offline on my own computer.

    Something like selecting a word brings up a popup box with a definition in it, like the kindle dictionary might do.

    Anything like that out there??

    submitted by /u/Deep_Veterinarian
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fix this error when installing Reborn OS?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:34 PM PDT

    Is there a minimal version of kde?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 02:21 AM PDT

    Installed Manjaro kde about a week ago and i don't really like how resource heavy it is. I would like to know if there's a minimal kde or something?

    submitted by /u/aaronryder773
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel