• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, July 1, 2019

    Linux [Discussion] Parent Distros V.S. Derivatives

    Linux [Discussion] Parent Distros V.S. Derivatives


    [Discussion] Parent Distros V.S. Derivatives

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    Do you prefer a parent distro or a derivative of it and why so? What possible pros & cons are there based on your preferred option? Why is X distro better than it's parent/child distro(s)? I'm curious to see the responses from this community.

    submitted by /u/FlamBlam
    [link] [comments]

    How to create a custom Ubuntu live from scratch

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:36 AM PDT

    Mageia 7 Linux distro available for download

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 05:44 AM PDT

    Opensuse 15.1 vs Kubuntu 18.04

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 11:34 AM PDT

    Which one would you guys recommend for a productive office machine and why?

    submitted by /u/toolincho
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a good way to stress-test a system to verify stability?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 06:19 AM PDT

    Hi, I have a computer that I had a bit of trouble installing Ubuntu on. It kept having weird crashes. I don't know if that's a matter of the installation process or a matter of the computer being junk.

    Is there a software that will stress test each component and make sure the computer keeps running smoothly? Bonus points if it helps diagnose any issues that crop up. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/WaitForItTheMongols
    [link] [comments]

    CompTIA Linux+

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 05:17 AM PDT

    I was thinking about taking the CompTIA Linux+ exam. Does anyone know of any good free resources to study for it?

    submitted by /u/fluid-Friction
    [link] [comments]

    Reinstalling windows but need to keep linux

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 01:41 PM PDT

    Unfortunately I need to reinstall windows, but I actually have a dual boot windows-anarchy.

    Reinstalling windows will create problems with the efi partition right? Is there anything I can do?

    submitted by /u/mamiglia
    [link] [comments]

    Learn shell scripting

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 01:23 PM PDT

    I think I have finally gotten to a good enough level to start learning how to shell script.

    At first, I got a Shell Scripting book by Steve Parker, but it goes too much in depth (I'm some examples, it uses things that have not been explained yet)

    Is there a more noob friendly way to learn the ways of bash?

    submitted by /u/Ayhon
    [link] [comments]

    Help Upgrading Apache to latest version

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:11 AM PDT

    Linux noob here. How can i upgrade apache on ubuntu 18.0.4 to the latest version from an official repository from the cli.

    submitted by /u/snipps79
    [link] [comments]

    Mint/Arch fail

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:57 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    So pretty new to Linux overall. I've been using Mint for a little while and much prefer it over my old Windows install. Played around with Ubuntu also as I had a dual boot, but preferred Mint (I dumped windows altogether apart from inside a VM)

    I thought I'd give Arch a try as I see so many people rave about it and how good it is to try different installs. I plan on trying others too. I'll try and be as clear as possible.

    Anyway, I tried to install Arch and failed. I admittedly didn't do my research and now I've managed to lose my start up screen/GRUB, so I can't boot Mint or Arch, it boots straight into grub rescue. I have a live boot of Arch from which to hopefully correct my mistake, but I'm not that familiar with editing or creating partition tables to correct my issue or using GRUB rescue. So I need help to hopefully either restore my Mint which I believe it still sitting in sda1 or actually achieve my desired result of a Mint/Arch dual boot with a proper GRUB so I can choose. I thought I'd just stick Arch into sda5 where I had Ubuntu, but obviously it's not that simple. I have tried and I don't seem to be able to find a solution. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/golden681
    [link] [comments]

    WHM Nginx vs Engintron

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:00 AM PDT

    Ubuntu or Fedora: Which One Should You Use and Why

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 03:59 AM PDT

    Creating / replacing a PPA

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:35 AM PDT

    I was following this archived comment with interest: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/8suuz1/ubuntu_malformed_entry_error/

    Please could someone tell me how to remove or replace a PPA like suggested?

    I have the same error appearing as this user:

    E: Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/atom.list (URI)

    E: The list of sources could not be read.

    E: Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/atom.list (URI)

    E: The list of sources could not be read.

    and so, when I run

    cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/atom.list

    I get:

    deb [arch=amd64]

    https://packagecloud.io/AtomEditor/atom/any/ any main

    Now, I don't know how to remove https://packagecloud.io/AtomEditor/atom/any/ and replace it with https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/atom -

    ANY HELP?!

    submitted by /u/Do_no_himsa
    [link] [comments]

    How to transfer files between computers with LAN cable.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    I have two laptops that both run debian and have been trying to connect them to transfer files (it has to be LAN as i'm planning on transferring 200+ GB) . I know that you have to assign them an ip address, other than that don't know how to do it. A step by step would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/S-S-R
    [link] [comments]

    So I decided to install Spotify on Kubuntu...

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:14 AM PDT

    Big mistake lol. While listening to a song, out of the blue, without me pressing any buttons, the app decides to switch songs all the time. This didn't happen with any other distro and macOS. How do I fix this? It's so annoying, it does it right before my jam too >:(

    submitted by /u/takutataku
    [link] [comments]

    Very useful: undo commit from local repo leaving working tree untouched

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I accidentally initiated a local repository and added all files, typing git add . before realizing I've added all my home folder to this local repo.

    Being inpatient and following incorrect advise, I've ended up accidentally removing my entire home folder, spending another half a day restoring it, what a headache!

    Then I stumbled upon this link, which I wanted to share. Hopefully it will save you the trouble I went through.

    $ git commit -m "I was terribly misguided"

    $ git reset HEAD #leaves working tree untouched, undoes previous commit

    << edit files as necessary >>

    $ git add ... # re-add files

    $ git commit -c ORIG_HEAD #commit changes, edit the last commit

    Good luck!

    submitted by /u/orrpel
    [link] [comments]

    Why are there both 'source' and '.'?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 09:36 PM PDT

    I read they do the same thing, so why are they seperate commands? Also what are the paths of those commands?

    submitted by /u/Its-actually-LiGNUx
    [link] [comments]

    How to uninstall one of the dual booted Linux distros?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 04:56 AM PDT

    I would like to dual boot my computer with Ubuntu and Mint. I know how to do it. But I'm ignorant about how to uninstall one of them in case I need to in the future. Can someone please help me know how that can be done? Searching online has not been fruitful so far. There are only methods available to uninstall a distro that has been dual booted with Windows but there aren't any tutorials available on uninstalling one distro using another. (I don't have Windows).

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/PositivelyProductive
    [link] [comments]

    No matter how I format my USB flash drive, after formatting it shows about 16MB used in both gparted and gnu disks, but I cannot see any files even while displaying hidden files... is my flash drive failing?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:32 AM PDT

    Automatically detect monitors

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:31 AM PDT

    I am running Ubuntu 18.04 on a dell laptop and I have 4 external monitors. I have up to date drivers and can use all 4 with my laptop closed. However I need to manually turn on all 4 external monitors and turn off my laptop monitor every time I reboot. Is there a way to automate this process?

    submitted by /u/Zoopdedoopz
    [link] [comments]

    10 Different Ways To View The Contents Of An Archive Or Compressed File

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:07 AM PDT

    Is there a way to let rsync update folders and delete not-more-existant files simultaniously?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 03:01 AM PDT

    Hey folks!

    Currently looking into rsync and I like it. I'm now rsyncing from my old server to my new one.

    Jo, after some trial-and-error, it's finally doing it.

    So now I want to update it from time to time, where I guess -u | --update is my buddy.

    BUT! I also want to delete files at the destination, that don't exist anymore on the source. I guess that's what --delete is for? I'm not sure at that. I also think that both might not work simultaniously?

    So is there a way to do all this in one command or do I have to run two separate rsyncs?

    submitted by /u/Trollw00t
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do with my Old Raspberry Pi (B+)?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 08:58 PM PDT

    Just got my Rpi out cause I got a touch LCD screen, got me in the mood to make some use of it. Problem is that it's a pre old model, the original B+ so raspbian is absurdly slow on it and I can't really do anything.

    I've Google around for common uses for RPi but none of them really interest me. I was thinking of making a network monitoring server/tool to keep track and collect data from my home network. What OS would be best for this use?

    Any alternative suggestions on what I can do with it?

    submitted by /u/ArduinoMasterRace
    [link] [comments]

    Manually run krb5-user script?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 11:13 PM PDT

    So I'm trying to join my linux vms to my domain, using this guide here. There's supposed to be a script that runs after the installation of krb5-user, but for whatever reason the script didn't run on my ubuntu 14.04 boxes. I run

     sudo apt install krb5-user samba sssd chrony 

    And nothing happens.

    How can I run this script manually?

    Bonus question: I'm trying to figure out how to add ubuntu vms to the domain using ansible. How can I do this WITHOUT running the post-installation script?

    submitted by /u/dsmiles
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel