• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, July 6, 2019

    IT Career Is this too good to be true? I feel like there has to be a catch.

    IT Career Is this too good to be true? I feel like there has to be a catch.


    Is this too good to be true? I feel like there has to be a catch.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 08:16 AM PDT

    I just received this in a text from someone who knows I'm looking to change my career to IT. Huge deal, wondering if there's some kind of catch.

    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3400909/get-200-hours-of-comptia-certification-training-for-only-69.html?utm

    submitted by /u/HMWWaWChChIaWChCChW
    [link] [comments]

    Bachelor's degree in IT + Network/System Admin Internship...should i take the CompTIA Network+?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 08:48 PM PDT

    Hey guys. I've been considering taking the CompTIA Network+ to supplement my resume lately for when I begin applying for jobs next month. I will graduate with my Bachelor's in Information Sciences and Technology in May, and currently have a Network/System Administration internship. I would like to have a career as either a systems admin or network admin/engineer. Would it benefit me to take the CompTIA Network+ cert exam? If so, what resources are out there that I can use to prepare myself for the exam?

    submitted by /u/Japspec
    [link] [comments]

    Part Time Helpdesk Intern Salary?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 08:19 AM PDT

    I have 4 years of non-IT job experience and thinking of going into IT. What would be a good salary for this type of position in the NoVA/DC area? I know 45k is about average around here for a full-time position. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/kingfirejet
    [link] [comments]

    Questions on Internships

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 09:19 AM PDT

    I need to find a paid internship to help me scrape by while I'm working on my degree and get experience that would help me out of college, but I don't know the way to go about it.

    Context - I'm currently 19 and I'm about to start school working on an Associates in Networking, and then transitioning to a CS bachelors. All I will have at the time of looking for an internship is an A+, and I'll be actively taking classes.

    My main questions are -

    What should be my first steps in looking for an internship?

    What websites and tools would be the best for me to find an internship?

    What should I look for to make sure that I'm looking at a respectable company that could help me get a the experience needed for a career out of college?

    Sorry about the mobile formatting, and thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Tortalort
    [link] [comments]

    Been in charge of sound and media at my church for the last 6 years, volunteer. How would I pitch this on a resume?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 09:19 AM PDT

    If it was a paid position I would have no issue putting it on a resume. However I am skeptical of putting it on a resume. I'm applying to a very entry level position I'm confident I can do well.

    Which aspects of my experience do I highlight? I've done most entry level thing there is. Setup routers/new OS/printers/scanners, upgraded computer components, networks, installed/updated software, comfortable with Adobe/Microsoft Office, troubleshot problems remotely. Then 100 other things less than relevant like television and sound setups.

    submitted by /u/Swinehaven
    [link] [comments]

    I've got an interview!

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 08:50 AM PDT

    I posted here a few weeks ago about leaving manufacturing and going into I.T. with no previous I.T. experience. I took everyone's advice and went for it. I now have an interview for a desktop support technician position. Any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Sniff_Leck_Ket
    [link] [comments]

    CompTIA courses, what order should I take them?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 08:46 AM PDT

    I just signed up for all of these on a deal (I figure hell, if I only complete one of them I'll make my money's worth at $69 total). What order should it take them? CompTIA

    submitted by /u/HMWWaWChChIaWChCChW
    [link] [comments]

    looking for advice - Nightmare first month at my first system admin position

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 09:58 AM PDT

    Hey all, bit of a wall of text but I'm looking for a bit of advice as I've had a less than ideal first month at my first system admin job.

    Background: 4 years out of school (went for IT), 3.5 years at an MSP dealing with small business networks, usually each one consists of one physical server and 15-20 workstations. Easy stuff

    So 3.5 years at the MSP, no ladder for moving up so I went hunting for a new position. I found a system admin job that seemed promising on paper/initial interview process, it was a 50% pay bump and a title that I thought would look great on the resume so I took it.

    Current company background: medical industry, it's a large name but I work out of a smaller sister branch of said large name... trying not to give to much detail out.

    First week: HR training is where the first flag came up, we were given a 3 page document with 'contact information' on issues that may arise and who may be able to provide guidance at the main campus. Ok... well at least I have the contact info but I'm not use to this big company layout.

    I meet my team, to my surprise there's only one other admin in house (at one point there was 4)... dealing with 2 MDFs, 5 IDFs, 110 servers and all the networking and operations that go along with a medium sized building. Ok... I'm happy I have a senior guy on my team.

    Second week: My boss that interview me is on vacation for two weeks. I find out he works 3 hours from me... I report to a director in house. Boss that interviews me has not once reached out to me first or provided any sort of training/contact info or 30/60/90 day evacuation checklist. Within the interview process I was 100% honest with my background, when I was hired he said "you didn't have some of the technical checkmarks we wanted but we think you will be a good fit for the team." I'm a go getter but I do need a helping hand at times for this new chapter...

    I find out that the previous system admin left behind close to no documentation/login info etc

    Third week: senior guy comes in smiling and said he just gave his two weeks. From this point on he proceeds to unleash on this place. "There's no way to move up, it's such a shit mess, there's no training, communication gets lost, the main side of this corporation forgets about us, on and on" - I try to take this with a grain of salt, ignore the negative and gain as much insight into all the systems/operations/networks as I can. Senior guy says he highly doubts his position will be backfilled.

    4th week: There a company quarterly meeting and the main topic is company satisfaction survey... these people were like angry villagers with pitchforks, pretty much all extremely pissed off and saying similar to the above senior engineer. At this point I'm honestly worried about what the f I just walked into.

    Conclusion: I'm now a one person infrastructure team and I've never had infrastructure experience prior to this month. Training is pretty much non existent and the only senior guy in person to train me is gone. I do have skype/email contacts to go off of but even they take some time to get back to me, if they even respond.

    I've been running myself crazy trying to study after work, document everything, respond to all these random people, work with tickets/systems I've never heard of, make changes without breaking things... etc. I'm not one to be lazy or negative but I'm truly at a loss as to what I do from here on out. Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice for me? I feel like this is an IT management issue but I want to do everything I can to succeed.

    Thanks for reading

    submitted by /u/kneecoli
    [link] [comments]

    Need guidance regarding exams.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 09:05 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I recently landed an entry level IT support role in UK and have been asked to complete MCP MD-100 MD-101. However, I am struggling to find study material. Can someone please guide me on how I can start working on these ASAP.

    Many thanks

    submitted by /u/Mudokon-
    [link] [comments]

    Cyber Security salary in the Philippines

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 10:27 AM PDT

    I'm on my 5th month at my first job as a SOC Analyst.

    I'm just wondering, How much is the salary for other SOC analyst or other related jobs? PayScale and Glassdoor isn't much help right now.

    My evaluation is moved unfortunately, and I was thinking to haggle my salary a bit and I just need some reference.

    submitted by /u/CyberSecWannaBe
    [link] [comments]

    In your opinion, which is the most "fun" IT position?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 10:27 AM PDT

    I am taking a look at IT certifications and want to have a position I find enjoyable. I was thinking ethical hacking (CEH) sounds pretty cool. I want to expand my options though and see what's out there. What have you found to be the most enjoyable IT career, personally?

    submitted by /u/Vespura
    [link] [comments]

    CCENT

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 10:24 AM PDT

    What happens if I get the CCENT before it retires permanently in February 2020? Do I still have that certification for 3 years or is it no longer valid once it retires? I'm asking so I know if I should just go for the Network+ this year, and go for the new CCNA next year, or if I should keep studying for the CCENT

    submitted by /u/inf0rmationist
    [link] [comments]

    Beginning with Machine Learning.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 07:31 AM PDT

    I am a Biotech graduate, and I am interested in kickstarting my career in Machine Learning and Data Science. I am not much familiar with programming because I don't have much coding experience, but I do know the basics of Java, C++ and Python. So, irrespective of me having little to none coding experience I believe that if I am trained well, I can cover Python up in two to three months. I am, however, kinda confused about how to begin with it. Should I join an online class? If yes, which one? I would really be thankful if someone helps me out a bit here.

    submitted by /u/frzx1
    [link] [comments]

    Video/sources to learn about computer networks? ( IP addresses, DNS servers, domains, etc)

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:12 PM PDT

    Title

    This topic has always escaped my knowledge, and I currently know very little about networks , servers, policies, and how they work.Any sources that provide an explanation or introduction would prove very useful.

    To further elaborate, I am not trying to find a job in this field. I merely want to learn more about this intriguing subject.

    submitted by /u/ItZYaBoi_445
    [link] [comments]

    ISC2 Certification paths

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 08:08 PM PDT

    So I am going to try and get into cyber security and have been told by a CISSP holder the best way is to start with the SSCP certification. Has anyone journeyed through any of these certifications? I was looking online and saw they have a healthcare version of the CISP and thought that would be a really good path to take. I currently have my CCNA and Security+ and work as a Systems Administrator doing tasks ranging from managing my companies network to working with Active Directory and GPO's, firewall implementation and antivirus softwares, slot of Virtualization and storage implementation, to basic PC troubleshooting. Kind of run the gammit for IT duties since it is just me and another guy. Anyways I'm trying to build up my resume and really want to get into cyber security. I know Cisco just recently came out with their version of cyber security which I am interested in as well just to maintain my CCNA without going the CCNP route just yet, but from my research (ISC)2 is the leaders of cyber security. So I am rambling now, but if anyone has any insights into their certification paths or recommendations I am all ears.

    submitted by /u/coreybc89
    [link] [comments]

    Getting weird vibes about job offer I just received...

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 11:33 AM PDT

    I was just offered a Tier 2 Support Analyst position at a healthcare facility, but I'm feeling weird about it. I'm not sure if I just have cold feet or if I'm just determined to get a different position (am doing final round of interviews for Support Engineer at local MSP next week). It could be entirely that my mind is not open and perhaps I should change that. I am relatively new to IT (little over a year's experience) but I have a decade of retail and administration experience, so I'm not totally green (I guess? lol). Here's what's strange...

    Did phone interview, it seemingly went very well, had great rapport with interviewer. Came in for in-person interview earlier this week and kept getting the vibe that the IT manager who interviewed me maybe didn't know too much about what they were talking about. Used vague, not really specific terms and couldn't provide detailed answers to my more technical questions about operations and infrastructure. I could be entirely wrong at reading this, but it was odd. They couldn't give me too many selling points about the company and they seemed nervous themselves. In addition, the interview did not begin smoothly as I was passed around to several different employees before finally landing on them. I didn't look too much into it at the time. WELL - I'm in the US so July 4 is a nationally-recognized holiday. Yesterday evening, Jul 4, around 9:45 PM, I got a phone call offering me the position at a relatively low pay with no other information. There were fireworks going off and everything so I couldn't even really understand the IT manager very well, but I told them things were a little crazy right now as it's the 4th and I need some time to consider the offer as I have others that I am looking at as well. They kindly accepted and told me to contact them today.

    I feel weird about this. I obviously appreciate the offer, but I feel that it's a glaring red sign that they called me to offer me the job around most folks' bedtime on a national holiday. I get the vibe that this might mean a huge lack of work/life balance. Does this seem weird? I feel like I could negotiate my pay a bit higher, and it's still more than what I make now, but I do have a very promising interview next week and I'm wondering what I should do... I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot and take a position that may be bad news, but at the same time I don't want to forsake a good opportunity.

    TL:DR; job offer etiquette. Called me on a national holiday around 10PM to offer me the position. Feels weird man.

    submitted by /u/SculderItsMe
    [link] [comments]

    How much, if at all, do the fundamentals, and policies, change for IT jobs across industries (i.e, services, finance, tech, manufacturing, agriculture, etc)

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:10 PM PDT

    I've always genuinely wondered this. Say you have a guy who's pretty good with AWS for example, and works as a Cloud Engineer for a medium sized tech company. If that same guy wants to go do Cloud stuff in a manufacturing environment or Cloud stuff in finance (since apparently some finance companies are thinking of moving some stuff to the cloud) does anything change? Is there anything fundamental he has to learn before he "switches" domains, in a sense?

    submitted by /u/TerminusFox
    [link] [comments]

    Clarification on Cloud Engineer

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:07 PM PDT

    my end goal is hopefully a cloud engineer since majority of the world is moving to cloud but ive been told from different groups that networking (ccna,ccnp, network+) dont necessarily help with cloud. The people who are "cloud engineer" is networking skills vital or they just helpful to have and would you say its needed before heading into cloud ?

    submitted by /u/KluuKin
    [link] [comments]

    So I recently started learning from a book called "Python Crash Course" as an introductory guide to Python programming. But I don't really feel like I'm getting much out of it other than because everyone in IT knows it. What should I do?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 03:10 PM PDT

    I mean, all this stuff about arrays and floats and strings and everything else about the syntax of it makes sense. But I just can't see the bigger picture with what I'm actually supposed to do with it once I get going on my own.

    submitted by /u/lancel_lannister1
    [link] [comments]

    Independent IT technician contractor? Advice needed

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 02:37 PM PDT

    Hi so I'm kinda confused so I thought I would ask Reddit. So I have summer internship (this summer) where I was a IT help desk technician. Today was the last day of my internship however they said I was a valuable asset was want to hire me as Independent contractor. Can someone please explain to me what does that mean and also how much should I ask to be paid? Please and thank you

    submitted by /u/Abyz963
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel