• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, July 5, 2019

    Home Networking Turning My PC Into A Streaming Console (x-post from r/PCMasterRace)

    Home Networking Turning My PC Into A Streaming Console (x-post from r/PCMasterRace)


    Turning My PC Into A Streaming Console (x-post from r/PCMasterRace)

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 10:04 AM PDT

    To make it short and simple, I'm on a quest to turn my personal gaming PC into a streaming console, a la stadia or xbox's new service.

    Currently, I use the 'Moonlight' streaming application to take advantage of nVidia's built in hardware decoding/streaming solution 'GameStream'. This allows me to easily stream my PC to a Tablet or another computer when I'm traveling, or even to my phone if I'm in bed and need to accomplish a simple task on my PC. This solution works great if I'm at home, the delay is less than 20ms, and even if I'm at work the delay is still <60ms, so nothing is unplayable.

    Here are my issues:

    1. I'm having major trouble with being able to turn my PC on when I'm away from home.Moonlight has the ability to send a 'wake-on-LAN' packet to wake up my PC, and although this works immediately after sleeping my PC, this times out after about an hour. I did some Google-Fu, and was originally able to fix this by adjusting the 'ARP cache list' as mentioned in Petter's post on this forum on July 19th
    2. HOWEVER, the issue has returned after a modem reboot. I think this might be due to two reasons:
      1. Because I don't have a static IP (nor can I get one from my ISP as they require a business address and 3x the cost), it seems that every time my modem gets rebooted, the moonlight client itself on whatever device I'm using loses the DNS/IP settings it used the previous time to login, and so the only way to fix this is to be at home and re-sync the client and my home PC (you need to authenticate any new devices using nVidia's gamestream client on the host PC)
      2. I think it might be possible that the ARP list/cache also gets messed up after a modem reboot?

    So even if I am able to figure out a way to wake my PC when I'm away from home (even if my modem reboots without my knowledge), I still can't figure out how to reconnect moonlight without being physically at home. Can anyone help me think of solutions?

    EDIT: Thank you for your help, everyone! It turns out the ASUS router I use offers a simple and comprehensive DDNS app that logs directly into No-IP's systems to update when necessary. I ended up making an account and the test results look good so far! Still worked after a modem reset and a new IP assignment from my ISP so I think this fixes most everything!

    submitted by /u/orangite1
    [link] [comments]

    I'm so confused on what I should get.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 06:09 PM PDT

    Ok, here we go again. Sorry in advance. I've had an arris sbg6580 (modem router combo). It has worked okay for the last 5 years. I have been having issues recently though where it will drop to about 0.07 mbps. My plan is for 150 mbps. I had Comcast come out and they replaced a bunch of connections and a couple bad coax cables. So far so good getting about 45-65mbps over wifi.

    However, the tech did tell me that there's a ton of interference within the modem causing me to not get the speeds I'm paying for and could be the cause of the slow speeds. He suggested I get new equipment because mine could be dying.

    I kinda trust his opinion because A) he also told me to not get the Xfinity one and buy my own. I would have anyways. And B) my shit is 5 years old. It's a dinosaur from when I had a 35mbps plan.

    I live in a 1500 sqft house. One floor, no basement. I use powerline for my ps4 because running cat5 would be a long drawn out process I don't want to deal with. There will be probably 2 web users and one netflix user on wifi at the same time. My plan is for 150 mbps.

    Everything used to seem so simple. Now theres 8x4, 16x4,24,32 , docsis 3.0, 3.1... so many different options. Budget is $175ish, so I think I need 24x8 docsis 3.0 which would be this. As far as routers go... I'm in over my head. Should I just look into another combo? No, right? This has been a stressful day of research.

    Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/patchinthebox
    [link] [comments]

    Double nat with xbox

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 08:14 PM PDT

    Modem/router : vr600 I'm getting double Nat error. dmz and UPnP are enabled.

    submitted by /u/enespolat24
    [link] [comments]

    Mesh with Ethernet backhaul or WAPs

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 03:49 PM PDT

    Setting up a smart home with cameras (6x) and have gigabit internet. We do a lot of gaming and streaming (cordcutters) in multiple rooms (3x 4k TVs). Both my wife and I work at home frequently using macbook pros. I have a plex server in the basement. The house is 2 stories approx 2k sq ft. I currently don't have ethernet ran throughout the house but plan was to run a few lines.

    I was looking at Orbi (possibly waiting until their Wifi6) running ethernet backhaul. I was considering mesh because I heard it better supports hopping from node to node However, through some research, many recommend WAPs. I've personally not had good luck with this (at work).

    What would you choose? Ubiquiti WAPs or Orbi?

    submitted by /u/doubtful62
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me setup a HTTPS connection for my emby server

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:26 PM PDT

    So. I've got a nextcloudPi running on my home server. The SSL stuff is handled by a script that sets everything up through lets encrypt. the Nextcloud server instance uses port 80 (for http) and port 443 (for https). My dynamic dns provider for this is through no-ip.com

    Now I've got an emby server instance running, I'm supposed to use port 8096 for HTTP and 8920 for HTTPS. I have HTTP working for remote access, by simply opening my 8096 port, and enabling remote access in the emby server dashboard. There is a password required to access it and I have whitelisted the only IP that will be accessing it remotely.

     

    my main issue is that now I want to have an HTTPS connection for the emby server. I tried following this guide: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Secure-Your-Server and the dynu service they recommend, doesn't allow web re-directs to other ports besides 443 for https connections. Otherwise I was successful.

    Now I'm trying to follow this guide: https://blog.awelswynol.co.uk/2018/01/setting-up-cloudflare-with-emby to set it up.

    I guess my question is, what is a "name server" and how is cloudfare different from no-ip? And ultimately, how do I get this HTTPS connection set up??

    submitted by /u/Foggytit69
    [link] [comments]

    MoCA is it worth it?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:22 PM PDT

    So I was looking to improve the internet at my house since it's moderately sized and the signal is cheeks. I bought a new router (linksys WRT3200ACM) but it still doesn't cover everything. Because installing Ethernet would require an extraordinary amount of time and I don't think I'd be able to, so I was considering MoCA to run Ethernet through the coax that's already installed. It claims to support up to 1gbps speeds, which is plenty as at the most my internet speed will be 300mbps. I was considering running MoCA to the opposite side of the house, then using a WAP to get WiFi there. Is this a decent setup that would be sufficient in my circumstance?

    submitted by /u/xXGunner989Xx
    [link] [comments]

    Frontier FIOS upgrade

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:08 PM PDT

    So the guy came and said I needed to upgrade my coax to ethernet for 200/200, but he only offered a solution of running the wire outside the house. Is there a resource or something I can use to consider my options on how to upgrade? Ideally I can set up a couple of extra ports along the way.

    submitted by /u/averagesmasher
    [link] [comments]

    Any idea for rural internet? (Hotspots and such)

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 03:13 PM PDT

    First off, I don't know if this is the right reddit for this post? I'm a reddit noob, but I saw a post from like a year ago on here from googling my question. (Didn't find an answer though) If this is the wrong sub can someone redirect me to the right one please?

    I've tried satellite (it's horrible) an ISP that said they worked here (they work a mile and a half away but not here.) a mobile hotspot on my at&t plan, which worked until they changed the plan from unlimited to 15gb a month then slowed to unusable speeds.

    I've come to the conclusion that mobile hotspot wifi is my only option. Currently I have "netbuddy" a unlimited sim card running on at&t's network. I have the simcard in a unite explore. It's 60$ a month, which I don't feel is fair for the speeds I get. Judging my bf gets crazy internet for the same price. At&t's network is the best we have out here so I'd prefer to stay on their network.

    So my questions : Is there a plan like netbuddy is offering that's more affordable?

    ^ has to be unlimited because my schooling is online.

    If there's no other options for internet than netbuddy, is there anything to make it faster? It hops from 5mbs to 15mbs all day.

    Thanks in advance 👍

    submitted by /u/oofmolly
    [link] [comments]

    Can't access certain sites like dmv.ca.gov?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 12:57 PM PDT

    Hey folks,

    I'm tearing my hair out over here, not sure if I missed something basic, and could use some advice.

    For some reason, on my home network I'm unable to connect to dmv.ca.gov. If I use my smartphone, I get the same results; if I then disconnect from my home wifi and switch over to my cell data, it works.

    I'm verified that my router is not blocking anything. I have checked my local computer's HOSTS file, and there's nothing; besides, every device on my network has the same problem.

    I can resolve the IP fine (it looks like 107.162.129.29). I can even nmap it, which will tell me port 80 and 443 are both open.

    When I try to connect, the browser seems to just sit there, "Waiting for dmv.ca.gov" and then eventually times out. If I try a different browser like firefox sometimes it will seem to show "Performing handshake" which makes me suspect there's an SSL problem.

    I pull up an analyzer (like ssl labs: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.dmv.ca.gov) and it tells me that the site only accepts TLS 1.2, and nothing else. Okay, maybe that's the problem.

    So naturally I go and check out other sites to see if SSL works for me. dmv.de.gov (in delaware) works fine; in fact I can see from Chrome I'm connecting with TLS 1.2. So clearly I can do TLS 1.2.

    Same with the ciphers; at least one of the ciphers I can also clearly do when I connect to dmv.de.gov.

    At this point I'm totally confused. It doesn't seem to be my computer, it's not an SSL problem, and I don't see any config on the router that's blocking me.

    Has anyone had this happen before?

    submitted by /u/wooshoofoo
    [link] [comments]

    Have a bunch of devices - build me a network

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 06:20 PM PDT

    I'm using an Arris BGW210-700. My DHCP server is a Windows Domain Controller running my domain. I'm looking to create a new domain while leaving my old domain intact. To create another network, I have available:

    Sonicwall TZ-100W

    Cisco 1921 with HWIC-2FE

    Some Netgear switches

    The new domain doesn't need Wireless. Could I use the Cisco router to create multiple networks? Wireless is not so important. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Keats852
    [link] [comments]

    Speeds much slower in living room vs bedroom on wireless AND wired connection?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 06:09 PM PDT

    Just got my Netgear C3700 modem/router set up with Xfinity (60Mbps plan) and discovered something weird. I'm averaging like 28Mbps down on my phone wirelessly when I place it right next to the router. However, I plugged a powerline range extender (which never had a problem transmitting my AT&T speed before) and in the living room, my desktop is lucky to get 7Mbps down. And my phone gets the same wirelessly in the living room. So my question is, I could see the WiFi slowing down if it's not being broadcast with much strength, but the wired connection too? From 28Mbps to 7 just 35 feet away and down the hall?

    submitted by /u/azgrown84
    [link] [comments]

    Internet good outside of home, terrible inside

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 05:06 PM PDT

    Thanks for any help that any one can give me on this topic, I may be in the wrong forum and need to post in one that is more cell phone reception etc, but I thought I would try here first.

    I live in an area where wired internet is not available. My provider would be Charter and they offer internet a half mile in both directions of my house, but it is not available on the road I live on. Previous owners used satellite internet which would average around 2 Mbps download, and was data capped, and fairly expensive. I have requested service from Charter on and off the last several years and the best response I have got was that it would be 500k, yes $500,000, to run service to my house. They said the heartline is about 2 miles away and it is $50 a foot to install. My current setup is a grandfathered Sprint unlimited plan, Galaxy S7 to a RT-AC5300 Asus Router. I have a Sprint Magic Box setup outside on the back porch as the signal inside is very poor. With this setup the internet is somewhat workable. I seem to have a lot of highs and lows, where it can stream Netflix fine, and the next minute I can't even load my email. I was playing around with the Network Tool App they have to know where to setup your magic box, and I noticed about 300 feet from my house, on my property, which is fairly heavily wooded I was able to get really impressive speeds

    The sprint tower is 1.36 miles from my house only.

    About 300 Feet away (closer to the tower) from my house on my phone I was able to get

    Band 41 SNR 11 RSRP -110 PCI 107

    This was giving me around 50 Mbps download and about 10 Mbps upload. I have seen this number hit over 75 Mbps for the download

    On my back porch, where I currently have the magic box setup, I really have a degraded signal

    Band 25 SNR 1 RSRP -113 PCI 200

    This lets me pull around 2 Mbps download and somewhere around 0.5 Mbps upload

    Inside the house (House is made of brick and stucco), I get

    Band 25 SNR -3 RSRP -127 PCI 200

    This gives me around 0.25 Mbps Download and around the same for the upload.

    I am hoping to somehow use the LTE Plus (Band 41) and get this signal to my house as the speeds are significantly increased.

    So ultimately my first question is there a setup that would allow for the antenna to be 300 feet from the house, and bring that signal into the house. The house is setup with wired jacks in every room.

    Cost isn't a huge factor... If I have to spend a couple thousand dollars to have reliable fast internet, I am willing to do that.

    I really would like to somehow turn the wireless signal into a wired connection, as I think that will eliminate some of the current issues I am having with hot and cold service, and also latency. Right now, as I said, I have a Magic box outside, a cell phone inside that plugs into an Asus router which then turns broadcasts the signal wirelessly as well as wired. The problem I am really running into is, I don't live in an overly large house, around 2000 square feet with around a 1500 square foot garage. The WiFi signal is pretty poor even if I move a room or two over, and virtually no signal in the garage. The wired connection from the router runs into the same problems, I think there are just too many connections, Magic Box->Cell Phone->Router-> Wired, same problems really, no better connectivity from a wired port.

    I also use the USB tethering to get the internet to my router.

    The second real issue I have is my kids want to play games online, this led me to try out a Verizon hotspot the last few months. I signed up about 5 months ago for the unlimited Verizon Hotspot that would make you the lowest priority for speed. This works pretty well and is able to get the ping for online gaming in the 80-120 range, which blows away my Sprint connection as far as latency. Ultimately, I can get higher peak speeds out of the sprint connection, even in my current setup. I think the verizon tower is even closer, maybe 1/2 mile from my house, if it is on the tower I think it is, I haven't been able to verify that verizon uses that tower. I have the 8800L Hotspot from Verizon and the distance I can be from the hotspot is really poor. I need to be in the same room as the hotspot. I am not sure if the exterior or if interior walls have some sort of insulation that really degrades the wireless and wifi signal, it sure seems like it does. The problem with the 8800L is such poor house coverage. and even the signal is about 3 bars out of 5 on the hotspot. Again, I can get a much better signal outside with the hotspot. I average 4 or 5 bars out of 5. I dont have more specific details as the hotspot doesnt provide that for me. I have looked into an external antenna on this and that loses my 4x4 mimo, although I would be willing to solder connections to the internal antenna portion if this was a possibility.

    Ideally I get something that works better for me, it must have unlimited data. If it is the Sprint one I am hoping to somehow use the really good signal that is 300 feet from my house. If it is the verizon one I would hope to use external antennas and then hopefully be able to broadcast that into a wired connection or a much stronger wireless connection. I am willing to change hardware, a Mofi router, for example if this is what would work.

    I am really not concerned with 5G, as that is probably years off from getting to my town, so I am willing to invest in 4g equipment.

    Hopefully someone can help, and I tried to be very detailed in the initial post but would love to hear if any one has questions or suggestions.

    submitted by /u/verizonquestions1
    [link] [comments]

    Need a New Router, Looking for Opinions

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:54 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I am in the market for a new router. Ideally, I'd like to keep it under $200 but have wiggle room if more expensive models offer something I could see needing. I know the general consensus on r/HomeNetworking is to set up a Ubiquiti system but I don't believe I have the flexibility to do this myself based on spacial constraints in the house or the know how to be frank.

    I display my router to the right and directly behind my main TV so I was thinking about the Asus Blue Cave since it has some curb appeal to it. There's also the Netgear Nighthawk AX8.product.100495709.html), not as appealing as the Blue Cave but not as bad as the routers with all the antennas.

    Costco is running a sale on the Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC3600 and also offer the TP Link Archer C4000. I'd like to buy from Costco because of the warranty but it's not a requirement.

    Main uses are streaming (4K on multiple TVs), phone and computer usage, and smart home equipment. The issue with my current router, other than being outdated, is the range is scares to the bedroom.

    I'm looking for any advice on these routers or a wildcard you might have a suggestion for. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/millsir
    [link] [comments]

    My Tp-link router says (0.1dB) besides the value which is 110. Does that mean I multiply by 110 aka 20dB or what exactly?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:22 PM PDT

    like the title says because this has been confusing the hell out of me. It says this for attenuation, snr margin and output power

    submitted by /u/thearrowshot
    [link] [comments]

    Limiting Bandwidth with TP-Link (or NETGEAR) AC1750

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:11 PM PDT

    Have data usage cap and would like to limit data use for streaming video. What's the best way to do that? I was hoping to just set bandwidth limit for a guest network to connect to when streaming video, which appeared to be option on older TP-Link models, but doesn't look like you can do that anymore?

    I also have Netgear AC1750 I could use if that router makes this easier.

    submitted by /u/mivajh6
    [link] [comments]

    Prioritize Network Devices - Windows 10

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 03:50 PM PDT

    So, I have a high end gaming PC. Unfortunately, I have a network issue that hinders my gaming PC. Now, my neighborhood is not eligible for faster and better internet packages so I have to work with what I got. I'm on Ethernet, on a CAT7 cable wired into an ATT router that can only reach CAT 5e speeds, however, our actual plan can't even push the outdated wiring to its limits. If I'm alone in the house everything is fine and only get some rare latency or ping issues, but, the moment anyone or device walks into range of the WiFi It goes to complete shit. Constant ping and latency issues every couple of minutes. I'm rarely the only one in the house. A family member works from home and another is also around the house for much of the day. Literally, I've watched it happen, If someone checks their email on their phone my ping in multiplayer games jumps into the 200s+ and other issues occur. It's absolutely frustrating that my multi-thousand dollar computer does not take priority over other devices doing insignificant tasks.

    So, how can I give my PC bandwidth priority on our LAN? My ISP is ATT and I'm on the latest Windows 10 64 bit.

    submitted by /u/tnuhnivad
    [link] [comments]

    Ethernet switch, hub, etc...? Not sure what I need

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 11:39 AM PDT

    We recently switched to a google wifi mesh setup (my household, including me, is full of tech morons). We need to add one additional ethernet hookup from the google wifi pc that is connected to the modem and have it go to the wall for a wired connection my wife uses while taking grad school classes.

    I've seen products listed as a hub, a switch, managed switch, etc...

    Can someone help out with what I should be buying for this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Cuestick33
    [link] [comments]

    Direct TV traffic on LAN

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 03:20 PM PDT

    Ever since setting up pfsense I've noticed a lot of internal packets from weird IP addresses like 169.254.*.* and 293.255.255.* being blocked. I searched around and figured out what it was, but didn't have the time to figure out which device, or devices, was causing the problem. Fast forward to today, I'm setup Elastic Stack to monitor my pfsense's logs and quickly notice that there's hundreds of these packets being blocked every 30 seconds. After some more digging around I found that when I unplugged my main Direct TV box from the network, it all stops.

    What can I do to prevent the box from pushing out all of this traffic? It's currently connected to dumb switch, otherwise I'd move it to it's own VLAN. However, that doesn't reduce the amount of traffic hitting my gateway. Thoughts?

    Here's a screen shot of the traffic

    submitted by /u/pheeper
    [link] [comments]

    Apple networking gear with AT&T Gig Fiber

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 02:29 PM PDT

    Just moved a month ago and went with AT&T fiber plan. The setup came with an ONT and a router (BGW210-700) but the coverage sucked. I had 2 airport expresses and 1 AirPort Extreme (last generation of the Extreme) that should all have gig Ethernet. The house has 2 ethernet cables run to every room... so I need WiFi for phones etc.

    I was doing some reading and lots of chatter about how the Apple router isn't true gig and the most you could get is like 500-600.... I don't want to be paying for gig and have my own gear holding me back. Any truth to the Apple gear not being able to handle the gig? If so any suggestions on some consumer level gear that I can use that has ethernet, or dual Ethernet, backhaul to the wiring closet. I don't want to drop a grand to get a few laptops and home automation stuff up and running.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/AU_Thach
    [link] [comments]

    Question about BT and my network

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 03:03 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I recently upgraded to the "Superfast Fibre Plus" BT said that guarantee me a speed of ~42mb download and ~18mb upload.

    My current set up I have is:

    Huawei HG612 EchoLife 3B > Asus RT-AC66U > Powerline > Switch > My PC

    The speeds I'm getting are about ~30mb download ~6mb upload. So I tried the new BT Smart Hub 2 that they gave me and the download speed I got was the same while the upload speed was ~16mb.

    I much prefer the current set up I have as I've never had the connection drop when using it while in the past when using the kits that the ISP gave me I always had problems.

    My question is: Is my network set up outdated? (I haven't updated anything with the HG612 since I got it 2 years ago) is that why I'm not gettings the speeds I should be? Should I get a more up to date modem/router?

    submitted by /u/iced_dragon
    [link] [comments]

    Networking Advice for a large 3-story home

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:49 AM PDT

    I have around 6,000 sq ft spread across 3 floors (2 above ground, 1 finished basement). My cable internet comes in through my office which is on main floor in the southwest corner of my house, behind the kitchen (genius, huh?). On the first floor, I have limited options to move my router as its an open floor plan. The finished basement also limits my ability to center the router.

    Previously had Google Wifi 3-pack which covered most of the house, but suffered from slow data transfer speeds (we are cord cutters and gamers). I had a Netgear R6400 (AC1700?) router, so I replaced the Google Wifi with that and speeds increased where it provided coverage.

    I added a Netgear extender via powerline adapters to cover my basement where connection did not exist in my Home Theater due to signals having to pass through several walls and the area where I have a dual furnace. This worked well, however, I kept seeing random drops on the wired connection to my PC. I assumed it was the router that was bad. Tried a few different ports, but stopped troubleshooting because I knew I wanted a faster router anyway.

    Yesterday I bought a Dual Band AX6000 Wifi-6 router. Above-ground coverage seems much better as I had a couple of rooms that weren't covered by the Netgear router that this new router covers. I still have my deadzone in the basement, but left the extender over powerline.

    Now for the questions:

    1. Speeds in the basement over powerline are about 15% of my max. I get around 130 down but am only seeing around 10-15 mbps. The powerline is an older one that I received for free from my security company. I believe it only supports 100 mbps max. Is it worth it to buy a newer one and see if that improves the speed? I might be able to drop an Ethernet cable to the basement, but haven't investigated this fully yet.
    2. The new AX router is really nice, but I'm wondering if I should return it and get something else, more specific to my needs. I spent almost $400 on this and I'm wondering if my money wouldn't be better spent on 2 routers with mesh capabilities that aren't quite so overkill for my needs? Looking for suggestions from the pros here on the best strategy to cover a large house.
    3. The wired connection dropping when directly connected to the router - this occurred a couple of times with the new router. I am trying a different cable today, we will see how that goes, but I'm wondering if this issue isn't related to my motherboard's integrated nic? The system log provided the following:

    Jul 4 18:52:41 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.

    Jul 4 18:52:44 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex

    Jul 4 18:53:24 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.

    Jul 4 18:53:27 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex

    Jul 4 18:54:03 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.

    Jul 4 18:54:06 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex

    Jul 4 18:56:50 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.

    submitted by /u/biggsjm
    [link] [comments]

    Continuous Wi-Fi monitoring?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 01:40 PM PDT

    Looking for a tool of some kind that will show the quality of my Wi-Fi throughout the day. I suspect I'm getting intermittent "lapses" but can't quantify it. Ideally the strength of the signal as well as a throughput quality, although I don't know how to do that without constant streaming tons of data.

    I am equal parts tech savvy and moron, so assume the latter if you're explaining something.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/YYZDaddy
    [link] [comments]

    Reliable speedtest

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    Pretty much what it says on the tin. I don't trust speedtest.net , as it's showing exactly what my ISP says my plan is, but the download speeds I'm getting on a browser download is in the KB/s, and three devices streaming 720p (or above) simultaneously completely bottlenecks the connection

    submitted by /u/sid41299
    [link] [comments]

    Subnetting Home Network

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 01:15 PM PDT

    Devices:

    TP-Link AC 1750 Router

    Cisco sg250-08 smart managed switch

    I am trying to subnet my home network into 192.168.0.1/25.

    I understand how to subnet on paper and how it works, but there are a lack of resources on how to actually make it happen and configure everything properly.

    I just want to subnet my home network to experiment and get a feel for how its supposed to be setup. Do I need to implenet VLANs in this case?

    submitted by /u/ucvb_ucvb
    [link] [comments]

    BT Guest Wi-fi query

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 01:06 PM PDT

    I have lived in my current flat for 6 years. When I moved in my landlord kindly provided me with the network key to access the Wi-fi for his business which is downstairs - Standard BTHub network.

    He has recently changed his system whereby my access is now via BT_guest_Wi-Fi. Fine as it is still free for me to use, although do not have access to the router if there is a problem.

    Question is - for the sake of my privacy (don't do anything illegal) how much of what I do online can he see/access? Also - out of curiousity - would anything lead back to my computer - or just to him?

    submitted by /u/Diplodocus114
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel