• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, July 3, 2019

    Home Networking Rural internet help

    Home Networking Rural internet help


    Rural internet help

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:09 PM PDT

    Me and my family live in Cathlamet Washington and the internet absolutely blows here. Every isp (Xfinity,spectrum,century Link, cascade network,viasat) I have called has told me that our address is unserviceable. The only other isp that has been able to confirm my address as serviceable is Hughes net and I can't stop thinking that 150$ a month for 50gb of internet is just a scam. We have been using our Verizon 4g lte hotspots for the passed few weeks with a cel fi go x signal booster and its not too bad but if anything needs an update bigger than 1 gig it takes more than 24 hours to download. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and if they found any solutions to their internet issues?

    If I'm SOL then that's that. But any info would be helpful at this point. thank you in advanced. I might take a few hours to respond.

    submitted by /u/Viision_Optik
    [link] [comments]

    Ethernet Switches

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:01 AM PDT

    Hi guys, thanks in advance for answering my questions. Right now in my house, I currently have an ethernet wire running from the modem right up into my bedroom via an ethernet port next to my PC (not sure of the logistics since my dad installed it). I only have the 1 port in my room, however I have both my PC and Console set up in my room. The range from the router isn't that great, so it's pointless trying to go off wireless. I find myself constantly having to unplug and replug the ethernet cables going to either my PC and PS4. I've seen that you can get ethernet switches with multiple ports, however i'm a bit unsure since I have no idea whether plugging a switch into an ethernet port rather than the router would work. If this is not possible via a switch, is there any other way I can get wired connection to my PC and PS4 at the same time. If a switch would work, would anyone be able to recommend some good ones? (5 port one would be fine).

    submitted by /u/ElChup666
    [link] [comments]

    Internal(private?) IPV6 alternatives to "::1", whats the equivalent ipv6 range to "127.X.X.X"

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:19 PM PDT

    So I've been dicking around with IPV6 in my pihole/wireguard setup and bouncing between Stubby, Unbound, and DNScrypt as my upstream DNS. I've also discovered the joy of small edits to the hostnames in /etc/hosts and listen addresses/interfaces for easier logging instead of just seeing "localhost" for all my entries.

    I believe that all of these programs default to the generic "::1" listen address but assigned to different ports. Is it possible to use something like "::2" or "::3" for listening instead so that I can edit the /etc/hosts names to easily distinguish IPV6 traffic?

    My pihole is running on a vps running Ubuntu 18.04 that I connect to with wireguard if that information helps with my ignorant question 😔

    submitted by /u/Dekugon
    [link] [comments]

    Routers melting? How to extend to router life?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:49 AM PDT

    Hello, I live in a place that is very hot but inside it never gets hotter than 77 fahrenheit thanks to air conditioning. I seem to go through a $100 USD router every 1 to 1.5 years, this is a household of 2 people who occasionally watch Netflix or play phone games.

    When I explained my plight to a Best Buy salesman he said that these consumer-grade routers have planned obsolescence and inside the circuits begin to melt and this is what causes all of the issues of a dying router.

    I had always thought that I took good care of my routers, suspending them 10 feet above the air on a floating platform and raised a half inch above the platform for further air circulation.

    Is there anything that I can do to extend the life of my routers?

    Edit: additional details: I usually buy Netgear routers, it is on a surge protector, and modem is separate device

    submitted by /u/acekingqueenjack
    [link] [comments]

    Wired connection, fast internet speeds, but still lagging

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 06:23 PM PDT

    hey guys, hoping someone can help me with an internet issue i seem to be having. i live in a relatively new flat with high speed NBN (up to 100mb cable for those outside of australia), i run a long cable to my computer so there's no WiFi, and i seem to be experiencing lag even with low ping across various multiplayer games.

    if i am playing solo, it's usually not an issue at all, however as soon as i group up with some people (say 4-5), i seem to get a lot of lag. running NetBalancer in the background shows that nothing else is downloading in the background or using any bandwidth, my ping stays low, my internet speed is still anywhere between 40-70mb using speedtests, but i get really bad lag spiking and rubber banding. i noticed this a lot in games like Diablo 3, where it would lag a lot when there was a lot happening on the screen.

    this isn't graphics lag either - my frames stay high during these lag spikes so it's definitely the network side. another game i noticed the lag badly was a free hockey game called SlapShot, where if i was playing 1v1 there would be no lag at all, but as soon as there's 5-6 people in the game, it starts rubber banding. another thing i noticed is that despite my high speed internet i still have issues watching things on Twitch for example, where in my previous apartment i could watch high definition streams with no problem at all with the same ISP plan (also using the same modem & pc).

    does anyone have any advice? i have tried port forwarding for the games to see if it helps but it doesn't seem to make a difference. as mentioned i'm running a cable from my modem to my study so i'm not using wifi.

    thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/diabloisdown
    [link] [comments]

    Question about managed and unmanaged switches

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    I recently bought an SB8200 modem and an Asus AC86U router. I have an Ethernet cable going from the modem (at the edge of the house) to the router (near the center of the house). The modem is in an entertainment room with a ps4, PC and other devices that need Ethernet. I bought an unmanaged switch (GS308) for a setup I had before which was just an router/modem combo in the place of the modem now and the switch going to where the router is now. But I want to have the router in the center of the house and a switch at the modem having ethernet for my devices back there. Should I buy a GS308E? Or would I need something else to be able to do that like a GS308T? I think I can use both ports on my modem as just docsis 3.0 so I can plug the switch in with one and the router in the other. Please help!

    submitted by /u/mikevigi
    [link] [comments]

    Internet works for everything via WiFi, and I can see my network via my wired connection, but I can't reach the internet via my wired pc.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:23 AM PDT

    So my internet works for everything via WiFi (laptops, phones, etc), and I can see my network via my wired connection from my PC (I can see laptop and Sonos), but I can't reach the internet via my wired pc (websites or steam). When I try to connect to any website with any browser, it just hangs and eventually says "site can't be reached" . I haven't changed any settings, and it worked fine when I went to bed last night. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/wunshot2014
    [link] [comments]

    Information request regarding upgrading home router

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:36 PM PDT

    I am presently using a service provider supplied router (NetComm Wireless NF4V). (There is also a Rasberry Pi running handling the DNS for ad blocking).

    I have 3 seperate SSID named on the network; Media for Tablets/Phones etc, Home for Connected Wifi Plugs etc and another for guests.

    Most recently some of the devices are having trouble connecting to the network, simply saying they cannot connect, this has (possibly?) coincided with me adding more Wifi plugs to the Home network.

    I understand that 16 clients can join each SSID (please correct me if i am mistaken), but would i be better getting a new router with dual (or triple) bands to have a more stable wifi network and have different devices connect via the seperate bands? currently for 2 of the SSID there are 8 clients connected (4 on one of them)

    Speed doesnt seem to be an issue on the network, however the connection issues are getting frustrating.

    I am quite happy to go out and get a new Router. Or is this not necessary and i'm just stuffing things up myself?

    submitted by /u/WotsTheCraic
    [link] [comments]

    Previous post follow up. Router somehow has Open WRT on it?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:23 PM PDT

    Follow up from this post https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/c3zfbq/unable_to_access_router_web_interface_default/

    Upon resetting the router, it now broadcasts the ssid "OpenWRT" I have no clue who could have installed it on there. Even if I did know, how would you go about flashing the firmware to the regular one that linksys gives? soooooo rip? If there is no way for me to access the router in anyway, is it bricked?

    submitted by /u/Zcifer
    [link] [comments]

    Second router or wifi mesh system?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 05:53 PM PDT

    I do not have cabled data in my house and so rely on wifi.

    My house is rather large (2 stories, 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, 2 outdoor living areas, 1 indoor living area, 1 kitchen, 1 laundry & 1 garage - not humblebragging, just explaining as I do not know the actual size measurement).

    I have an Asus RT-AC86U router which has been great, but coverage is lacking in some areas of the house - I am looking at options available as to how I can remedy this.

    I was thinking of purchasing a 2nd RT-AC86U and using the aiMesh function. Alternatively, I was looking at the Asus Lyra 2 pack mesh system.

    Are there any pro's or con's to either of these options? Are there other options I am missing?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/MetaphorTR
    [link] [comments]

    Latency Spikes,

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 03:13 PM PDT

    Hello!
    About two months ago I started getting latency spikes, average of about 50ms spikes to 1500ms or higher. I know only a little about networking and networking issues, and I've been trying to diagnose the problem myself.

    Latency spikes on wifi, and hard-wired. All times of the day, even if I disconnect everything else from the network. (I use my router's software and ban MAC addresses of devices that are not being used for the test)

    My modem is an ARRIS supplied by the ISP (WoW!) and it's got built in wireless. We have a router, small linksys thing.

    I've tried replacing the splitter before the modem, we split off to a cable box. I've updated firmware for the router, and tried a backup router. I cannot update the firmware for the modem as the ISP pushes updates to it. I have tried DMZing an IP and testing from that IP address.
    I've used multiple machines to test, a desktop and a laptop.
    I contacted the ISP who said the upstream power seemed a little high, but that it hasn't been an issue recently. They sent out a technician who told me that the modem was fine, the signal was fine, and that nothing was wrong. That I was probably experiencing problems because of phones downloading updates while on the wifi. At which point I grabbed a laptop, and pinged google a 100 times from a command prompt to show him the response time spiking incredibly high. To which he seemed confused, took pictures, asked me to explain the command prompt to him, and called someone else. He gave me the number of a manager for the nearby node for the ISP, and said I could call him if the problem persisted.

    Problems persist, I leave six messages all on different days and the man has never returned a call.

    https://imgur.com/a/Wvo8U6D

    Here is a screengrab of my using PingPlotter. I even get 248ms to my router at some points, which leads me to believe something is going on with our network. I've also tried countless updates to my computers, and drivers. But also the way I was given the complete runaround by my ISP has me somewhat worried it may be on their end.

    Any advice on what steps to take next, what to try and test next? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

    -TLDR- My latency spikes even to my router, from multiple PCs. Wireless, and wired. Updated firmware, replaced hardware. Problem always persists. ISP has completely given me the runaround as well.

    submitted by /u/Kaminah
    [link] [comments]

    How do I extend a Fios Quantum Gateway network with AirPort Extreme

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:08 AM PDT

    I have made some changes to my networking setup, moved my Fios router up from the basement to the 1st floor, and put an AirPort 6th Gen in the master bedroom (2nd floor) to use as an extension of bridge. Right now the way it's set up I had to create a new network name from the AirPort but my preference would be for it to be broadcasting the Fios network so we don't need to change which WiFi networks we're connected to depending on where we are in the house.

    Is this possible? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/Naltimar
    [link] [comments]

    Paying for Xfinity gigabit but only getting 70/6

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 10:13 PM PDT

    Last night I upgraded my home internet service from 60/2 to gigabit (25up I think). At least in theory. I'm currently speed testing at 70/6. While I never expected to get 1000/25, this is falling way short. I've rebooted both modem (Arris SB6190) and router (Netgear R6220). Updated the router firmware. Called Xfinity tech support and wasted 30 minutes of my life... Anybody have any ideas? I have not yet plugged a computer directly into the modem because it's a bit of a pain. All of my cabling is cat5e or 6. Wired network adapters are all gigabit.

    submitted by /u/TheGoodDoctor168
    [link] [comments]

    Will this network setup work?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 02:16 PM PDT

    I'm planning to have a cable modem (SB6190) attached to a switch which all of my devices are connected to. I've heard others saying that a router would need to be between the modem and the switch but I have a separate DHCP server on the network. Just wondering if that would work at all.

    submitted by /u/AmazingELF74
    [link] [comments]

    Simple WiFi Setup for Complete Coverage in 2-Story Home

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:50 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I've seen various versions of this post, but none that totally addressed what I was after. I'm moving into a new house, and want to get as complete WiFi coverage as I can. It's a pretty small ~1.2k sqft 2-story house with an outdoor balcony on the 2nd floor - essentially just a 2 story concrete cube with some outdoor space! I've been told there's coaxial cable outlets in the main living space downstairs, and another in each of the 2 bedrooms upstairs. I would like to have coverage on the balcony as well, which is separated by double-paned, thick glass from the inside.

    I was considering a router + extender but have seen many cautioned against this on this subreddit. Similarly, meshing seems not to be a great idea. These two options appealed to me since they are cheap (particularly extender), and seem easy to set up for a dummy like myself. The ideal seems to be setting up APs in the main living area, and another in one of the bedrooms (hopefully enough to reach the outside terrace), but how would I go about this if I am only provided 1 modem by Spectrum? Also, what is the typical cost of the most basic set-up in this framework? Given the relatively small square footage of the place, would something like a mesh not be justifiable in this scenario given the affordability and relative stupidity of the OP?

    Really appreciate the thoughts, and sorry that this is stuff that may have been covered in parts in other threads.

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/_dum_surfer_
    [link] [comments]

    Question on rack/patch panel placement

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:33 PM PDT

    Looking at installing a rack with managed switch, patch panel, UPS, NAS.

    The best spot for this is near my electrical breaker. How far away from the breaker does this have to be for interference, noise, etc to not be a factor?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Dooley2point0
    [link] [comments]

    75 mbps download and 7.5 mbps upload for 2 ps4 for online gaming, and still lagging.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:28 PM PDT

    Hi, I've had this issue for a bit now, and have been trying different things.

    I am in Canada, Victoria BC, with Lightspeed internet.

    My ISP speed is suppossed to be 75mbps download 7.5 mbps upload.

    Speedtest.net (using my wired ps4 browser) says it actually is:

    40-80 Mbps download, 4-8 Mbps upload, 50-150 ms ping.

    Not sure what my bandwidth is, but it's unlimited data.

    Both Ps4's are wired into the Hitron CGN modem.

    The modem has Upnp, also have tried port forwarding, (which I've removed)

    My game lags. when playing online. stutter every 15-30 seconds, and every so often, I'll teleport a few meters in game.

    I'm considering maybe buying a different modem. this are the compatible modems with my ISP:

    Cisco DPQ 2160 – ( Maximum 15Mbps downloads)

    COSHIP CCM2000A – ( Maximum 15Mbps downloads)

    Hitron Technologies CGN-CWV – ( Maximum 75Mbps downloads)

    Hitron Technologies CDA3-20 – ( Maximum 300Mbps downloads)

    Hitron Technologies CDA-RES – ( Maximum 75Mbps downloads)

    Huawei MT130U – ( Maximum 75Mbps downloads)

    Motorola SB 6120 – ( Maximum Mbps downloads)

    Motorola SB 6141 – ( Maximum 75Mbps downloads)

    SmartRG sr804N – ( Maximum 75Mbps downloads)

    Technicolor TNTC4300 – ( Maximum 75Mbps downloads)

    Technicolor DPC3848V – ( Maximum 300Mbps downloads)

    Technicolor TNTC4350 – ( Maximum 300Mbps downloads)

    Thomson DCM475 – ( Maximum 75Mbps downloads)

    Any help. It would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Eblanc88
    [link] [comments]

    Worth using Ubiquiti UniFi without Ethernet Cables for the APs?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:22 PM PDT

    I am starting to add more and more Smart Home devices, so I am looking into upgrading my home's network as well to improve coverage and stability. Based on my research, many people seem to recommend Ubiquiti's UniFi line of router, switches, and access points. However, it seems that the UniFi APs generally require Ethernet Cables running to each of them, which my house does not have.

    I read that the UAPs does support wireless uplink, but would the UniFi system still be worth the price when used this way? Or would I get more out of consumer mesh systems instead?

    submitted by /u/Ambitious_Basket
    [link] [comments]

    Need help setting up MouseShare between two PCs on same network

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:56 PM PDT

    I'm trying to get MouseShare to work on two PCs that are in the same network. Both PCs share the same subnet and default gateway. I've opened the ports in my router that MouseShare uses (TCP:6555, UDP:1046). I've setup a rule in Windows Firewall (on both PCs) to allow both inbound and outbound network traffic for the MouseShare service exe. When I try pinging one PC from the other, I get timeouts on the Win10 PC and "General failure" on the Win8.1 machine. I guess the only other thing to try is to create Custom Windows Firewall rules on both PCs. However, at this point I am completely confused. Do I need to create a set of Inbound AND Outbound Custom rules on each PC? If so, in the Scope tab, does the Local Address refer to the IP address of the PC sending the request, and the Remote Address refers to the IP address of the PC you want to connect to? Any help much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/bc_uk
    [link] [comments]

    Juniper SRX240, Ubiquiti ER10X, or other?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:38 PM PDT

    Hey guys, my first post here, looking for some advice from my fellow experts. I have a Netgear R8000 router that has been giving me lots of problems. So I want to replace it with a different router/firewall device and turn the netgear into hardwired AP. I am not looking for something crazy and expensive, somewhere around $100 range. This is for a home network with about 20-25 devices, some wired but mostly wireless. As far as network load, some streaming, not much gaming, handful of IP cameras, rest is light traffic and web browsing. Not really heavy users but would not want to limit bandwidth provided by ISP so at least 500Mbps throughout. As far as device requirements: 5 or more gig-e ports (don't care for SFPs or POE) Basic firewall capabilities VPN - mainly openVPN (server side, to log into the network from remote location, rarely used but needed feature) DDNS - have been using netgears free ddns service so if I could migrate that one, would be great. No subscription fees or licensing fees of any kind.

    My first choice was srx240 as one of those could be had on eBay for around $80, but I don't know about licencing for that device and if any of my requirements will not work unless I do get a licence for it. Second choice was Ubiquiti, read a few posts, people seem to like them and they are reliable. Little more expensive and seems to be little less powerful than junos. I am also open to any other suggestions or getting a white box and putting PFsense on it, just could not find one for my price range and 5 or more gig ports.

    Anyway, sorry for many words, and thanks in advance for any suggestions!

    submitted by /u/hlywine
    [link] [comments]

    CCTV Speed issues

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:50 AM PDT

    Recently installed Anran camera and NVR setup...everything was fine before could stream 4k on TV (wired) while gaming etc. Weird issue started today where wired network is slow (can't stream spotify even without skipping on the TV) IPTV box also started freezing and skipping. Bandwith isnt an issue and all devices are plugged in to the same gigabit switch Any suggestions?

    Edit:Wireless works as it did before

    submitted by /u/JLevins189
    [link] [comments]

    Heavy packet loss on one computer and two wireless adapters

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:10 PM PDT

    Hello! I am experiencing heavy packet loss and using pingplotter figured out its at the (and including) the first hop (router) even when I used a different wireless adapter, the internet is just fine on other computers I think, well at least one computer, here is a massive error report from a short wireshark error log, can not use ethernet where I am at, I would be more than happy to provide more info as needed, thank you

    https://ibb.co/W2YmjzJ

    submitted by /u/Apool123
    [link] [comments]

    Dynamic IP or Static IP on second router?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:10 AM PDT

    I have an ISP supplied router that I can't put into bridge mode but I still have my own router connected to the ISP provided one. My question is; Is it better to use a Static or Dynamic IP for my router's connection to the ISP's router?

    submitted by /u/dannycanuck82
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help w/ Home Network VLAN Separation with IOT Devices & Blue Iris (Externally Accessible)

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:25 AM PDT

    Hey everyone! I am not an IT professional, but I am definitely above consumer level. I currently have one network with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X and one of their APs. It's working great! However... I now want separate VLANs for Blue Iris (which is on the same server as my Plex server) and my IOT devices. I've done a lot of research on this, I just can't figure out what the best setup would be for my scenario. I feel like I'm so wrapped up in the situation that I can't get a grasp on it. How do I keep the chinese cameras from accessing the internet, while still being accessed by Blue Iris and keep Blue Iris and Plex accessible from outside the network? I appreciate all the advice and I hope it doesn't come across as if I hadn't done my homework.

    submitted by /u/OnEdgeMark
    [link] [comments]

    RT-AC68U acting as router and WiFi AP. How do I get more coverage _and_ two additional hardwired points?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:20 AM PDT

    Hi,

    This is my setup:

    ISP > cable modem > ASUS RT-AC68U running Merlin firmware, acting as router and WiFi AP. Its DNS points to a local Raspberry Pi running pihole, and that works well (so far). The pihole is also the DHCP server. The router is doing routing, NAT obviously and QoS (gaming selected), nothing else.

    I have two locations which I'd like to have hardwired (one required, has no WiFi - the other not required but I'd like to get better throughput than this):

    iperf3.exe -c 192.168.1.12 Connecting to host 192.168.1.12, port 5201 [ 4] local 192.168.1.4 port 64842 connected to 192.168.1.12 port 5201 [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth [ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 9.38 MBytes 78.6 Mbits/sec [ 4] 1.00-2.00 sec 9.62 MBytes 80.8 Mbits/sec [ 4] 2.00-3.00 sec 9.12 MBytes 76.4 Mbits/sec [ 4] 3.00-4.00 sec 8.88 MBytes 74.6 Mbits/sec [ 4] 4.00-5.00 sec 9.12 MBytes 76.5 Mbits/sec [ 4] 5.00-6.00 sec 9.00 MBytes 75.5 Mbits/sec [ 4] 6.00-7.00 sec 9.25 MBytes 77.7 Mbits/sec [ 4] 7.00-8.00 sec 9.50 MBytes 79.6 Mbits/sec [ 4] 8.00-9.00 sec 9.38 MBytes 78.6 Mbits/sec [ 4] 9.00-10.00 sec 9.12 MBytes 76.7 Mbits/sec - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth [ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 92.4 MBytes 77.5 Mbits/sec sender [ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 92.4 MBytes 77.5 Mbits/sec receiver iperf Done. 

    (client: laptop, WiFi a couple of rooms away. Server: Pi, hardwired into router at 100mbps)

    Should I get a WiFi extender of some sorts and place it in the room with the laptop, would that be better? What about the other location where I need a wire, is a WiFi bridge something I can purchase? What devices are recommended for either?

    Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places. Unfortunately we're renting so cannot pull wires across rooms (I'd love to, though) as we don't want wires on the floors.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/asdfirl22
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel