• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, September 26, 2018

    IT Career [Weekly] What would you like to know Wednesday? General Question Thread

    IT Career [Weekly] What would you like to know Wednesday? General Question Thread


    [Weekly] What would you like to know Wednesday? General Question Thread

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 01:13 AM PDT

    Not every question needs a backstory or long explanation but it is still a question that you would like answered. This is weekly thread is setup to allow a chance for people to ask general questions that they may not feel is worthy of a full post to the sub.

    Examples:

    • What is the job market like in Birmingham, AL?
    • Should I wear socks with sandals on an interview?
    • Should I sign up for Networking 101 or Programming 101 next semester?

    Please keep things civil and constructive!

    MOD NOTE: This will be a weekly post on every Wednesday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I plan on majoring in IT, can anyone tell me what the classes are like?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 06:58 AM PDT

    Hey, I'm not sure if this post belongs here or not so please redirect me if not.

    Anyways I love technology and I plan on majoring in Information Technology specialized in networking. I know that some colleges and universities will be different, but just looking to get a rough idea of what the classes will be like and what the difficulty is. Also is there anything I could start learning now that'd help me later on in college? I'll be starting college next fall

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/ckav11
    [link] [comments]

    First Job - Time to move on?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 03:01 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I'm 20 years old and 6 months ago I got my first Job in I.T as a level 1 engineer at an MSP. My day consists of answering calls, solving issues remotely and completing tickets that are assigned to me. I don't always solve every issue remotely, sometimes I do have to go onsite to the client if the issue requires it.

    I'm learning new things every day as every call requires me to at least try and solve the issue before escalating it. I'm mostly solving issues with Windows and Windows applications (server and client sided), user permissions (AD, Exchange, 365), hardware issues, clean wiping and reinstalling windows as well as creating user accounts. These issues are all dealt with differently as all of our clients have a different infrastructure.

    I work from 8AM-5PM, Monday to Friday and my salary is $45k AUD.

    I didn't really want to continue working in I.T until a month ago I was advised that MSP's and the business model have a very bad reputation in the I.T industry and that the workers are being overworked and underpaid, which gave me hope to think that not all I.T jobs are like this. The problems I had were hardly being able to learn anything as the phones are constantly needing to be answered, even if you're in a remote session and helping a customer (I've had 4 remote sessions at once). On top of the phones, we have to monitor the network of all of our clients. I don't learn anything that really advances my knowledge, it's all just small tricks in Windows or little bits of knowledge now and then. None of my senior colleagues have time time to teach me anything because we're all under the pump.

    Promotion is extremely rare at this job. A colleague who was in the same position as me was in this position for 3 years before being promoted to a level 2.

    I don't feel as if this is a real job, I kind of just feel like I'm working in a call centre. Is it time to start looking for another Job now that I have experience or is this how I.T is?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DanAnon33
    [link] [comments]

    Salary Survey: How much do you get paid, and what is your official title and location?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 12:04 PM PDT

    Feel free to use a throwaway, I'm just curious what salaries are for the various positions in IT and what location you are in. Also interested in how long it took to reach your position and what you did to get there but that's optional.

    submitted by /u/dinon_yda
    [link] [comments]

    Career Direction and Timeline

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 07:25 AM PDT

    Hi all! To preface, I have two main questions; what direction to go in/how deep and what timeline I should shoot for. Hoping Reddit can help me out a bit!

    Background; 25, have a BS in Finance, got involved in cryptocurrencies about 2.5 years ago, built a mining rig, and realized it was ridiculously fun and I wanted to get involved in "tech." I went down the programmer road for a bit, but realized I don't want to just code. I don't hate it and still want to learn, just not have it be my primary role. Eventually I found networking and decided to make that my path. I like building, fixing, and optimizing things and ideally would still get hands on every once in awhile. I just moved from MN to Seattle for a variety of reasons (mountains vs mosquitoes) and was lucky enough to keep my previous job part time remote. I make enough to get by and they'll still need me for the foreseeable future. The only issue is that I'm really, really sick and tired of that job. Just bored and feel like the work is pointless. But I have plenty of time to study.

    I got my A+ before moving to Seattle and will be getting my Net+ in two to three weeks and am taking a Udemy course in Python. My first question is where to go after Net+? Pretty much everything sounds interesting to me, security, route+switch/SDN (yes not the same, but I figure SDN replaces traditional), cloud, DevOps (#buzzword), data center, etc. Should I branch out and do a bit of everything? Take more entry/mid level certs like Linux+, Sec+, CCNA Cloud, and VMWare or go deeper down one path?

    I've had issues finding my way in anywhere, seems like all of the jobs want a CS degree around here, even help desk. I really don't want to do help desk. So my next question is, how long do I wait and hold out for a Jr. Net Admin role or something within that level and can I get it without a CS degree or help desk experience? I know eventually I need real experience, but figure I have a good setup to get some certs and can hopefully swing some sort of BS degree + certs to get me in. I'd like to go back to school and get a degree in CS or MIS, but am currently drowning in too many student loans as it is, so certs is what I need to stick to for now. If anyone has done the OSSU CS degree or has any input on it I'd like to hear it. I know HR wouldn't think of it as a "real" degree, but I figure I could do that and stack a MS on it eventually as well to get by the resume gobbling algorithms.

    Also, would it be difficult to get out of a data center if I started there and move towards more traditional networking?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheRealTimbo_Slice
    [link] [comments]

    1.5 years Help Desk experience; what next?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 10:19 AM PDT

    Hi, I currently work in an entry level IT Help Desk position. The work I do is for medical centers so we are handling a lot of medical-specific applications and devices (IE: EKG machines, software used for medical records, etc.) alongside standard computing. Most of what I am dealing with is on Windows desktops, but I am also dealing with limited amounts of basic troubleshooting for Mac iOS, mobile devices, etc.

    Citrix Receiver is something I've noticed is in demand (when looking at job listings + I keep a resume up on indeed and occasionally get offers that seem attracted by my mention of familiarity with Citrix) and we do a lot with it, but I am not doing anything beyond troubleshooting the basic application. Anything more on the back end like restarting user sessions, etc. I route to a different team.

    I have been at this job since April of 2017, so a little less than 1.5 years now. I don't need to look for another job currently (I quite like this one but feel like I'm likely to outgrow it in another 1-2 years and am doubtful this company will promote me anywhere else in a timely manner).

    I have also been using, building, troubleshooting, and repairing my own computers, family's computers, and neighbor's computers for a decade or more. I am also very, very knowledgeable and familiar with Adobe Photoshop (I doubt this is of use for the work I've gotten myself into, though). My typing speed is around 120WPM with decent grammar, spelling, etc. I have no college experience.

    My question is mostly what should I focus on from here? I've looked at various certifications but am not completely sure of what I should start with. I feel an A+ would be useless as I'm going to walk away from this job with minimum two years experience (and during that time I have been one of their best agents; I've now trained multiple people on our account from day 1 to taking calls alone, been given existing employees to give "refresher" training to, and been praised for how much people learn when sitting with me), so the A+ seems redundant or unlikely to get me anything beyond another help desk job. I've considered a Cloud+, Network+, Linux+, MSCA Windows 10, or MSCA Windows Server 2016. I've also considered that certifications might be a waste of money, but I'm not sure.

    I greatly value the possibility to work remotely, if that has any weight. I'm also 25 and female and live in the midwest (nebraska), but would like to move to the Pacific Northwest, most notably Oregon near Portland or near Seattle (not necessarily in). I also really, genuinely enjoy helping people (both end users and peers) and analytical stuff. I am very curious by nature and really enjoy calls in my current job where I get to remote into the PC and do more "in depth" type work where I really have to think, google, research, try stuff, etc. I absolutely love the gratification of fixing something and learning new ways to do so. I am honestly a bit bored and understimulated during a lot of the calls I get at this job because they are very easy and don't often require much analysis/work, just following steps from a knowledgebase article or "turn it off and back on again" solutions.

    Thankyou for any input and sorry about the length.

    submitted by /u/CreepyZookeepergame1
    [link] [comments]

    Going after Certs vs Degree?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:29 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    So just a bit of background on myself. I've been in IT, mainly helpdesk/level 1 troubleshooting since I was 13 (I just turned 21), a recent college grad of May 2018 with a major of Information Systems, and I just landed a SysAdmin role at a university, about two months ago.

    One of the benefits of working at a university, is the free tuition, and I'm highly interested in a masters program that focuses on cybersecurity risk and strategy. My current goal, is to transition to another realm of IT (mainly security) after 2 more years of being a SysAdmin -- but I'm a bit stuck on if it's worth pursuing the degree alongside completing certs (I currently have none) ?

    I want to enter high-level IT Management within the next 5-10 years, so it's also another reason why I'm interested in this masters program specifically.

    I intended to study for the A+ and then continue on with Network+ and then Security+ to compliment the Masters program because the program is primarily executive level training, with only a few technical parts on cybersec. The program itself is only a year long, beginning in May of 2019 and ending in May of 2020.

    So should I abandon the degree and focus mainly on the trifecta or complete both the degree and the trifecta?

    So .. as you can see, I'm in a bit of a tough spot, but I'm open to any comments and suggestions!

    submitted by /u/-eldigerati
    [link] [comments]

    Working in IT with long hair?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:11 AM PDT

    I am a college student currently trying to get an internship so that I can graduate and earn my degree in Computer Information Technology and Networking (internships required as part of my degree) and I have very long hair. I am very confident in my actual knowledge and skills in the field but I am questioning my appearance. I have an interview tomorrow for an internship position at a school district near me and my parents have been badgering me to get a short professional haircut. But it's taken me a while to grow my hair out like this. I wear it neatly when the occasion arises. Do you guys think it's necessary to keep a short hairstyle to work in IT, specifically for an internship at a school?

    submitted by /u/BestMudkip
    [link] [comments]

    IT certifications

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:04 AM PDT

    I was wondering where you can get your basic IT certs without going to college. Where can you take them?

    submitted by /u/rightguy21
    [link] [comments]

    I have a year and a half of helpdesk experience and I need more money.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 08:42 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I'd love some opinions on where I should point myself next. I lucked into this job via Craigslist after I launched a focused effort to get out of waitressing. I don't have a degree -- I had to drop out of art school because I couldn't afford it anymore.

    However, I do occasional website design and I am "good" with computers in that I research everything, I have good Google-fu and I now have experience with Active Directory, RDP, VNC, and ticketing systems.

    Things I am improving in: printers, group policies ... this is a really small company and I'm trying to get a handle on what people expect from me if I were to apply to another job. I'm being grossly underpaid, the agreement being that I would "learn" stuff. I do love everybody I work with and I am very happy with the environment (nonprofit) -- I just need more money and more skillz.

    What are some things I should focus on knowing? Like a baseline?

    submitted by /u/prettytheft
    [link] [comments]

    MCSA server 2016 or linux certs?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 08:37 AM PDT

    Which would yield the best course of landing a job? I'm currently working on my MCSA, but through various random bugs for server 2016 (which can be resolved through tons of 'research' on my part) and other oddities, I'm slowly leaning towards linux certs (RHEL , CompTIA linux+ etc).

    I'm wanting to eventually go into cyber security but my thought is to learn the systems I plan on securing. Any thoughts on which route?

    If it helps I have the CompTIA trifecta already.

    submitted by /u/justinjohnson86
    [link] [comments]

    I am looking for an institution that can teach me CCNA in Perlis,Malaysia

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 06:05 AM PDT

    So I am looking for anywhere in Perlis,Malaysia that can get me my ccna. I keep on searching universities there, but their sites don't explicitly say whether teach it or not Also, I recently completed my O level IGCSEs. Is that too low of a qualification for this course?

    submitted by /u/Redzedhead
    [link] [comments]

    How much would YOU ask for?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 04:29 AM PDT

    Found this part time position for a small business. (Before you start asking WHY get a part time job, and start spouting off on getting certifications) I am working on certs, yet I also need to pay off debt. Hell, I'm days away from accepting a job from teaching Chinese kids English via Skype or being that guy in Best Buy trying to sell you an Oculus Rift. Anyways It's a WIN/WIN, as I would be getting experience in areas(Resume worthy) other than what I am familiar in.

    I have three years experience in desktop support, with a bachelor degree in liberal arts, with a A+, finishing up studying for the Network by the end of the month.

    In the initial e-mail, they stated they will work around ones 9-5.Sometimes work can be done remotely if not after ones main job. 30 - 65 hours a month, may trail off towards the end.

    Stated initially one will need to setup and organize " our ad-hoc IT Department. " Not sure what the expectations are with that phrase.

    Some of the things, they need such as "Server & VPN Access setup and maintenance" , "Develop an IT Plan", or "Prepare a Plan for new office opening and IT management of all offices."

    I'm not familiar with at all. Just anxious reading those expectations. How much would you ask for? They want to know one's answer in the second e-mail, to see if the business can even afford you. I don't expect any benefits. The place is about an hour away.

    • Create a digital listing of all electronic equipment own and loan to employees at all locations
    • Laptops, Desktops, Tablets, and Printers setup, repair and Maintenance.
    • G Suite for Business Setup and Administration
    • Server & VPN Access setup and maintenance
    • Software Programs Access & Configuration
      • Office 365
      • Hubstaff & Asana
      • Training Resources: Teachucomp, Maximum Impact, Audio Tech, & Etc.
      • Survey Monkey & Wufoo
      • Management of most of our cloud base programs: Lucid Chart, Insightly, Hubstaff, RingCentral, & Mailchimp
    • Website Maintenance and Access
    • 1and1 email and domain name management
    • Develop an IT Plan
      • Policies and Procedures
      • Emergency Plan
      • Equipment Maintenance and Repair
      • Budget
      • Equipment Purchase and destruction
      • Communication Tool Management
    • Onsite and Off-site data backup
    • Prepare a Plan for new office opening and IT management of all offices
    • Create and develop training video for computer software programs, etc.
    • Perform other tasks and duties as assigned.

    Thanks for any and all input.

    submitted by /u/Diddy43
    [link] [comments]

    Got hired as a Network Administrator position at a start up (Advice Needed)

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 03:42 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I got hired as a Network Admin (my first Network Admin position out of a Helpdesk position) at a start up that didn't have a dedicated IT personnel prior to hiring me. It's a growing company and they decided to hire a Network Admin to support the growth of the company. They have little or no documentation on their network infrastructure.

    What are some of the things I should prioritize within the first month of me being there?

    submitted by /u/itrix159
    [link] [comments]

    Is a systems programmer useful in most IT fields?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 11:17 PM PDT

    I'm going to school for a BSc in CS.

    Basically, I don't want to be an applications programmer, and I'd very much rather script and use Unix/Linux terminals and learn about/build upon OSes, than seemingly random build applications like calculators, tables, etc.

    Considering I also want to go into DevOps, I feel like a Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) degree is overkill, as engineers typically don't work with DevOps staff, right?

    submitted by /u/WindowsKidd
    [link] [comments]

    What field in IT would this type of work fall under?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 10:54 PM PDT

    I'm currently pursuing a degree in information systems but I don't know exactly what I want to do.

    I do enjoy figuring out the best and most organized way of completing a task. For instance if a business ran a certain way and had a certain way of doing things, my job would be to determine a more efficient way of getting the tasks done in an organized manner. I'm also interested in UX design for the same reasons as above (making tasks easier and keeping them organized), though I'm not ready to commit to that fully.

    I'd like to see what other jobs fall under this type of work before deciding what to go into.

    submitted by /u/buttfuckingtonthe3rd
    [link] [comments]

    How far will an AAS get you?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:22 PM PDT

    I'm going to school for a two year program to get an AAS in IT. I keep reading posts on this sub saying that there are a lot of jobs you can only get if you have a bachelor's degree. I'm really hoping this isn't true. I want to be a System Administrator. How likely is it I can get a sysadmin job with an AAS and some certifications?

    submitted by /u/byakko_
    [link] [comments]

    Getting out of the helpdesk pit?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 11:53 PM PDT

    Hi there! Need some career advise from fellow redditors. I am currently the IT Support person at the company I am working for 3 years. We're a small company so there's not a lot of room for growth. I do not want to be 'technical' but rather move towards the management side of IT, particularly in IT Project Management.

    I recently applied for a job and I pretty much got the job - just waiting for the contract to arrive. The thing is, the role is part IT project analysis and implementation and part IT support. I do not envision myself doing IT Support for more than 3 years as I would like to grow more into the Project Management space. Is this a "right" career move? Your advise would be much appreciated.

    tldr; I have been doing IT Support for 3 years. I applied for job for a different company but the role is a mixture between IT implementation and IT Support. I would like to be in the Management side of IT and not so much on the technical side. Your advise?

    submitted by /u/kryptocrusader
    [link] [comments]

    Jobs not to include on resume as a song to be MIS graduate?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 12:11 PM PDT

    Should I have jobs such as Waiter, park manger, FedEx package handler on the resume? Only have one previous professional job.

    submitted by /u/uknoitbreh
    [link] [comments]

    What should my resume look like?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 02:45 PM PDT

    Does anyone have any examples of what a good resume for someone who wants to get into IT would look like? I am a student worker for an IT department and after a couple of years I think i'm ready for an entry level full time role. I take on almost all of the same responsibilities as the permanent techs, due to us being a little short staffed here. My resume however, was written years ago for my very first job and i've just been making incremental changes to it. I feel like a "technical" resume should be set up a little differently and I wanted to see what you all thought about it.

    submitted by /u/Computer_Probe
    [link] [comments]

    I take the 70-761 exam in 1 month, where can I get the best practice questions?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 11:36 AM PDT

    I will be taking the Microsoft 70-761 querying exam in 1 month, just looking for practice questions. I have gone through the the Microsoft 70-761 book so far.

    submitted by /u/cr7sakib
    [link] [comments]

    What to buy for a home lab kit - CCIE network engineering

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 05:18 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    My name is GK and I'm currently in a Bachelor's degree program for IT with a networking minor. I am only just in my first classes learning the basics of information systems, so I'm not sure what equipment I should get for me home lab.

    I'm sure I'll find that out as I progress to my actual networking classes, but I want to get ahead of this thing and start studying on CBT Nuggets while I'm taking these easier classes.

    For someone aspiring to get a CCNA and CCNP with maybe a cyber security route down the line, what do I need to purchase for a home lab kit? eBay seems to have a lot of different options and since I don't know enough about the field yet, I have no idea what to choose.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/IchBinWeissesFleisch
    [link] [comments]

    22y.o. Not sure if i made a mistake or keep trying?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 05:02 PM PDT

    Not sure what to do, got a job at 18 after a internship in "IT" and it been 4 years already here. At first I was happy working here straight out of highschool and was in a good decent paying job, what I didn't know was that this is a contract job no benefits,no vacations,no pay raise and no way to advance at all.My main duty is inventory of unused or old computer equipment and I do help out the techs and have some knowledge as desktop support since i help out the techs here.

    My main concern is not sure what next for me, I am lost when it comes to what career to take.I did apply to a few places for help desk but didn't get no calls back and one rejections. Just feel like it was a mistake taking this position and not going to school and be done with it about now. Yes i can go back but just regret not going the first time. What will you do? Any advice on what to do next?

    submitted by /u/Mafitron
    [link] [comments]

    Newby

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:12 PM PDT

    I'm new to IT, currently pursuing my Associates in Applied Science in Network Systems Administration. I'm looking to transition from retail (where I've worked my whole life) over to IT. Currently I'm making $18/hr and am hoping to stay at or above that. What kind of position should I go for? I have no certs and have just started my degree so not a lot of experience either. I do have lots of customer service experience. And if it helps, my career goal is networking, like a system admin.

    submitted by /u/FailedJumpUp
    [link] [comments]

    Need Suggestions! Have an interview coming up Thursday, (LV1 Service Tech) as part of a test I'm going to be given a "busted up" PC to fix. Not too sure what I should be focused on getting refreshed on until then.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:04 PM PDT

    Didn't have many details other than:

    Me: Is this going to be hardware or a software fix?

    Them: Hardware

    I'll be over looking device-manager as well as the BIOS and the fun Lego parts that make up a desktop machine til then! There's also a written test they're going to give me but not to sure how one would prepare or ask for help on that hah. 14 years in English classes should do the trick for that one I would think..

    Thanks y'all!

    submitted by /u/thisguy012
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel