• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, September 23, 2018

    Home Networking What are my options to solve my wifi issues?

    Home Networking What are my options to solve my wifi issues?


    What are my options to solve my wifi issues?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 04:20 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    I'm hoping you can me give me some guidance as to what I should be looking for. I'm trying to solve a couple of issues but I'm not sure what's the best approach.

    My issues

    1. The wifi signal doesn't quite cover the full house and is weak/non-existent in some of the extended kitchen on the ground floor.
    2. I've just switched to Now Broadband and I'm having wifi related internet latency issues. I don't think this is related to (1) as it's still an issue on a full signal.
    3. I need to connect multiple devices to a single connection in the TV(Snug) room (tv, amp, android box, potentially a PS4).
    4. I have few options for restricting my kids' online time

    Current setup

    • Now Broadband (UK) Fibre Modem/router placed in the loft by the telephone line towards the left side of the house. (36 Mbps)
    • Cat5e wiring through a unmanaged switch between the loft and the rooms on the ground floor, one connection per room. No wired connections on the 1st floor.
    • Ground floor internal walls are brick, upstairs are timber.
    • Ground floor plan (https://imgur.com/le01sxB). The yellow bit is where the tv kit is.

    Options

    A. Add a wifi extender/access point on the GF/1stF

    B. Switch to a better modem/router (something like a NETGEAR D7000)

    C. Turning off the router wifi and go with a Ubiquiti or similar setup

    D. Add a switch to the TV room

    E. Add a router to the TV room to provide better wifi on the ground floor and give me enough connections for the tv kit.

    Not sure some of these will help with issue 4.

    Now the question is, have I missed an option and, if not, which ones solve my issues without costing me a small fortune?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/jamesep
    [link] [comments]

    Home 3g/4g lte modem recommendations

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 10:58 AM PDT

    Just moved to the woods for a new job (park ranger type work) and i'm wondering how people feel about the different 3g/4g modems i've been researching.

    1. Cradlepoint mc400
    2. Pepwave max BR1 mini
    3. Netgear Nighthawk M1
    4. Mofi Sim4

    or any other recommendations? Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/dartdude311
    [link] [comments]

    Advice to improve network stability

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 04:44 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm trying to improve the network stability of my home network. My wife and I both work from home, and rely on Zoom/Skype calls for lots of meetings. We've had frequent issues with instability and lag/dropped calls on these video calls, which is the issue I'm trying to solve.

    I'm very inexperienced with networking, but I'll give as much detail as I can, and can get anything else I may be missing.

    Modem: ARRIS SB6183 Router: Netgear N600 WNDR3700v4

    Internet is with Xfinity and we pay for 150 Mbps download.

    The modem and router are downstairs in our town home, which is approx 1100 sq ft. The office we both sit in is upstairs, with my gaming PC. There is a cable running from the router upstairs, where it connects to a network switch. The gaming PC is hardwired into the switch, and doesn't have any issues while gaming. Neither of our work laptops have ethernet ports so we're forced to use wifi.

    We don't have an issue with range or speed anywhere in the apartment, just stability. I was thinking of upgrading to 1000 Mbps, but that would require upgrading router and modem to take advantage. My thought was that if I just can get more throughput, then more would be available over the network.

    Testing while sitting next to the router shows ~65 Mbps download. Testing upstairs in the office shows ~3 Mbps (didn't realize the difference was this big until running these tests for this post)

    What would be the best course of action here? I don't mind upgrading equipment if that's the best plan, but before I drop ~$500 I'd like to learn a bit more about the best options out there

    submitted by /u/Wiskeybadger
    [link] [comments]

    Smallish Network Spikes While Gaming

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 02:25 PM PDT

    Hey all, been trying to solve a networking issue for the last several months. Hopefully someone can help me out.

    Here's some detail about my setup:

    ISP: Comcast (Gig plan)

    Modem: Netgear CM1000

    Router: ASUS RT-AC87U

    Desktop Network Card: TP-Link AC1900

    Unfortunately I can't connect my desktop via Ethernet so I'm forced to play games via 5G. I also experience significant latency/lag/ping spikes every few minutes. There's a sort of rubberbanding that occurs where everything stops for a second or two and then catches up. My ping changes in some games, not in others, but the effect is the same. I setup my desktop to connect via Ethernet temporarily to ensure it wasn't the internet, and there was no issue while connected via Ethernet. Typically I have between 10-18 devices (a few phones, PS4, Switch, Apple TV, Amazon Fire stick, a couple chromecasts, and some Google home minis) on my network. I've noticed the spikes start to occur when around 10 devices are connected and then don't stop until I reset my router completely. I've been testing QoS (this router has an adaptive setting) over the last few days and the results have been mixed at best. I've also looked through Home Networking subreddit for solutions and none have solved the issue.

    If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/sciraxe
    [link] [comments]

    What router to buy: Need a secure private network, but also low priority (or bandwidth limited) public wifi routing through VPN.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 12:59 PM PDT

    To expand, i want a secure private network for my home. But I'd also like to set up a free, non-passworded public wifi connection for use by anyone in range. This should be totally separate from my private network, and automatically connect through a vpn.

    I'd like to be able to specify the minimum up/down bandwidth available to the free connection, and have the lowest possible priority on any extra bandwidth not used by the private network. Basically, free users can use my whole bandwidth when I'm not using it, but the existence of the free connection will never slow my private network beyond the specified minimum.

    If possible, I'd like to be able to track how often the free account is used, and how much data comes in or out.

    Is there a reasonably priced home wifi router that will do this out of the box? Or will i need to resort to dd-wrt or some other 3rd party software? I'm reasonably computer literate, but have found messing with network stuff or linux stuff to be a pain in the ass with a steep learning curve. What would be my easiest option?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    submitted by /u/stickmanDave
    [link] [comments]

    Peasant here: can I use android box with Windows PC?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 08:18 AM PDT

    Im so green that I dont even know how to ask the actual question so let me try and explain what I am trying to achieve.

    I currently have a WD Live media player and after some Youtube searching, found a way to share a folder between it and my Windows PC. So I can drag media from the PC, into a folder on my desktop which my WD box can see and play. Pretty cool I thought! But the WD box is really only needed for this function and as I have an android box already hooked up on the same TV, I would really like to ditch the WD box and just use the android box for the same purpose.

    Is that possible? In that, can I set something up where I can transfer files from my Windows PC to a folder that my android box can see and play the media files?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/iHobgoblin
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Airport

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 11:33 AM PDT

    Edit #1: Solved, maybe

    So I have a Apple Airport Extreme connect via Ethernet to my modem, connected to the Airport Extreme is a Apple TV and a cable box. At first, everything worked fine but after a while when I checked the Airport through the Airport utility app, the Airport Extreme's green light was off, when I checked the light on the hardware, the light was on. I didn't think too much of it.

    Then every time I turn on my cable box the Wi-Fi of the Airport Extreme turn off out of nowhere, and when I turn off the cable box, the Airport Extreme's Wi-Fi turned on back again. I really don't know what's going on, or what to do.

    I've restarted the Airport Extreme and the green light on the airport utility app is on, but after a while turns off again. I don't know if that's important because the physical light in the hardware is on.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/francisgoca
    [link] [comments]

    Home Internet is 500mbps - Wi-fi is not even close to that speed

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 05:49 PM PDT

    As the title states I have home internet that is supposed to give me 500mbps however when using wifi and doing a speed test it's usually 30mbps. Wired connection does give me close to 500mbps but the only thing I have connected to wire is pretty much my TV as well as my phone (VOIP).

    I have a router as well which is a D-Link AC3150 Ultra High-Power Wi-Fi Gigabit Router. I bought it expecting that maybe it can give me speeds my Internet service provider promised however it is pretty much identical to the speeds I get without the Router. Is there something I am supposed to do to the router to make it give me the 500mbps. All I did was just connect the wire from modem to router and pretty much that's it.

    submitted by /u/Situation1987
    [link] [comments]

    PS4 showing 100% packet loss. Is this correct?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 01:58 PM PDT

    I just tried testing my ping on my PS4 Pro using www.whatsmyip.org/ping and it showing 100% packet loss.

    I'm in the UK using Powerline adaptors (I know) and it ma telling me I'm getting a download speed of 35 mbps (my max) and upload of 5mbps.

    Do I need to be worried about this? If so, how do I fix it?

    Thanks :)

    EDIT: I get the same on my phone so maybe a firewall situation?

    submitted by /u/Ravello
    [link] [comments]

    Testing POE switch

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 06:00 AM PDT

    Anyone have an ingenious and easy way to test a POE switch to see if it is faulty or not? I have a POE camera that keeps cutting out and before I climb up a 25' ladder I want to make sure it's not the switch.

    Thank you

    Edit 1: after swapping POE switch with ubiquity POE injector I am still having problems. Question is if it's worth climbing the ladder in the rain or waiting another 4 days to get some clear sky's before trying to test the cable? Yeah I'll wait.

    submitted by /u/Plainzwalker
    [link] [comments]

    Hi friends, LOS IP camera through window

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 05:08 PM PDT

    I was hoping you guys could help, short of buying something like engenius enh500s and making a bridge to my IP camera. What would be the best way to extend the network towards the camera. (the cable/wifi box is across the house but I do have several rj45 ports in this room) . Problem with the bridge is the cost for a nema enclosure , antennas, injector etc will end up getting pricey. I was hoping I could just buy a repeater for the room and put a larger antenna on the window sill (assuming the repeater has sma plugs on it) I am looking to cover around 250ft with the only obstacle being the window (20ft elevation from where camera will be) . Thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/CastleDaventry
    [link] [comments]

    Keeping Cable 30/15 or changing to Hybrid Fibre 15/10?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 08:47 PM PDT

    Was offered a deal so both are the same price (and free change) but seems like a downgrade to me.

    submitted by /u/prezidnt
    [link] [comments]

    Best ac router with best quality components

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 04:37 PM PDT

    Looking for ac routers under the $200 CAD budget range with the best quality components. I saw the dlinj however rumor has it that the mediatek internals are cheap. Looking for high quality internals router

    submitted by /u/rpelich
    [link] [comments]

    Home Firewall Recommendation

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 07:52 PM PDT

    By day I'm a Sys Engineer (vmWare, storage, route/switch). I've used Cisco ASA, CheckPoint, and (recently) Fortinet at work. I'm redoing my home network with a core switch, running cabling for an access switch elsewhere, tying in a few APs, relocating a NAS and Media Server, and setting up a new VLAN for my wife to work from home. I've used a consumer grade DLink router with some firewall functionality built in up to this point, but I'm moving up from appx 150Mb Comcast to 1Gb Google Fiber soon and want to add a hardware firewall between my core switch and the ISP router. I want a dedicated box and not interested in a VM or Linux install solution. So, I need some recommendations

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/MarkPartin2000
    [link] [comments]

    Hooking up home wifi from basement panel

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 07:44 PM PDT

    Really sorry for the super n00b post.

    I just built a Ryan Home and Guardian installed 4 CAT5e runs in various rooms to a panel in the basement. I was under the impression I could just toss the modem in the panel, plug it in to power and connect it to one of 4 Ethernet wires. Then I would simply connect my Nighthawk R7000 into one of those rooms to tie into the modem. I'm not getting any signal unless I connect the modem and router together using just a Ethernet cable in the basement.

    Do I need a switch to connect my modem to my router if I used one of the upper level Ethernet wall plates? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/LanchingMaa
    [link] [comments]

    Network upgrade advice needed

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 03:18 PM PDT

    My parents recently cut cable and upgraded their internet to 300/30 but don't have the hardware to come close to utilizing it. They live in a 3000sq ft ranch with the modem in the middle but its only an SBG6580 and they're using it as a modem and a router. Four people use the network for the very most of streaming HD video but they still deal with buffering and disconnects all the time. They don't want to run any cables and really just want the lowest maintenance set up possible and asked me to find them the best option for around $300. I looked into mesh systems like google wifi because of how easy it is to set up and range provided but heard those systems can be less than optimal for gaming. I heard the Orbi RBK50 is a one of the better options for mesh systems but if I'd be better suited upgrading the modem and buying a router point me in the right direction.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/OrangutanOrgy
    [link] [comments]

    What should I use in Search Domains on Mac OS X?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 06:55 PM PDT

    So I am currently renting and the place has AT&T DSL.

    They hijack your search engine results to feed ads.

    Under DNS, I have the following:

    • 1.1.1.1
    • 1.0.0.1
    • 8.8.8.8
    • 8.8.4.4
    • 208.67.222.222
    • 208.67.220.220

    Under the Search Domains field, there is an entry for attlocal.net.

    Do I leave that there? Do I add something else? It won't let me delete it, but I can replace it.

    submitted by /u/akatsukix
    [link] [comments]

    How to find IP address of second router in linked router setup

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 09:57 AM PDT

    I used this setup to link two TP-Link routers using power line adapters. I have made note of the main router, but I forgot to note the IP address of the second router.

    https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

    I can't seem to find the IP address of the second router. Can anyone help me in identifying the IP address of that unit? How do I go about finding it?

    submitted by /u/optionsinvesting
    [link] [comments]

    Speed issues with a Netgear Nighthawk A7000 on a 1gbps network?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 10:53 AM PDT

    Hey there. So recently I upgraded to fiber optic internet (1,000 Mbps) and I'm having some issues getting this A7000 to get to its' advertised speed cap of 1300 Mbps. It's only reaching ~250 Mbps. At one point I got it to reach ~700-800 Mbps and then after that, never again.

    Here's what I've done:

    1. I made sure I'm on the 5 GHz network, not the 2.4
    2. I disabled QoS on my modem (also tried it with QoS enabled)
    3. I've switched the Wireless Mode setting under the Advanced Settings tab of the Configuration window on the A7000 to IEEE 802.11 ac
    4. I've fully updated the firmware, directly from Netgear's website
    5. I've also made sure my modem/router supports AC connections, and that it actually supports the 1 Gbps speeds, it's brand new.
    6. I've ensured the USB adapter has a good signal, there's no large obstructions, I'm less than 10 feet from the router, and it's plugged into a USB 3.0 port.
    7. I've also tried disabling RunSWUSB in Services.

    Modem/Router is a Actiontec C3000A, turns out its a Zyxcel C3000Z, CenturyLink just likes to use their own branding. :P

    No matter what I do, it seems like there's some kind of "cap" or something at 250 Mbps, even though it advertises up to 1300 Mbps. Hardwired, my internet speed is ~950 Mbps. Unfortunately I cannot hardwire my PC, so please don't post that as a "solution".

    EDIT: Added #7. EDIT #2: Fixed router name

    [I posted this same post in the Netgear subreddit but this one seems far more active = I might get more help here]

    submitted by /u/weep1ng4ngel
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t get ps4 or switch to connect hardwired but Apple TV and MacBook Pro connect just fine?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 06:23 PM PDT

    I have those 4 devices connected to an Ethernet switch which runs to a wall jack, out of another jack and into another switch and then into the ONT. For whatever reason I can't connect my consoles via Ethernet but my apple devices work just fine. Is it because there isn't a router in between and a router is needed to assign IPs for them? Just confused as to why some devices work and some don't. I have fiber and get up to 1gb

    UPDATE: plugged in an old router I had to replace the Ethernet switch that feeds into all of the devices and the switch and ps4 connect just fine. Can anyone elaborate as to why a router is necessary to hardwire a ps4 or Nintendo switch, but not a Mac or Apple TV?

    submitted by /u/alpacapoop
    [link] [comments]

    Extending WiFi Issues

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 06:17 PM PDT

    So I live in a bungalow and my room is located at one end of the bungalow with the WiFi being at the other. My end, although still part of the house, is pretty much an annex and has its own electrical system and what not. The problem is I can't get any WiFi signal from the router. We currently have a BT HomeSpot device at the end of the old electrical system to try extend it but this barely extends it to my room and it only hits certain spots + gives me incredibly slow speed. How can I possibly extend the WiFi to my end of the house and get fast speed? Thanks

    submitted by /u/The_Radical_Centrist
    [link] [comments]

    NETGEAR XR500

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 02:03 PM PDT

    Hello guys,

    i have a quite unusual question this time regarding the Netgear Nighthawk XR500 Router. Since i am playing Call of Duty on a competitive level on the ps4 for years now , i was always wondering about the connection itself. I guess most of you guys in this subreddit dont really play FPS Games , especially not on console but maybe you guys can help me trying to understand the things that influence the connection wether its in a bad or good way. I´m not talking about things like ping or upload/download speed , there must be some kind of settings or tools you can use to improve or literally to "cheat" in Call of Duty. For example i have faced a player a few days ago who was lagging on my screen and for every other player but somehow the game was running smoothly for him. I have heard of certain settings the XR500 can give to you while playing Call of duty... maybe you guys can help me out or at least have a explanation for some of the things i mentioned...

    Have a great day guys.

    submitted by /u/cKayzah
    [link] [comments]

    The roommate needs to be on a VLAN, what are my options?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:52 PM PDT

    I was looking over my DNS logs and I noticed that my roommate had the tale tale signs of a malware infection. I'll clean it up but I'm not going to start managing his laptop so I'd rather keep it separate. My current network consists of a pfSense box, an unmanaged switch, a Raspberry Pi for DNS/DHCP and an old Linksys router running DDWRT as an access point. I've been considering replacing the DDWRT access point with a Ubiquiti AP. Would I be able to set up a VLAN with either the DDWRT box or a Ubiquiti without anything else? Do I need to get an additional NIC for the firewall and connect a separate access point to that? I have a fancy Cisco switch but I'm not using it because the unmanaged Trendnet switch is silent and less power hungry. Even if I had to use that, would I still need a third NIC for the pfSense box? Thanks in advance for any advice.

    submitted by /u/coffee_guy
    [link] [comments]

    Can I set my modem (SB6183) as the gateway?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 05:05 PM PDT

    Can I set my modem (SB6183) as the gateway? or would iset my L2/L3 switch as the gateway? I know in one case i did the prior but, the config page had way more information and DHCP options that i don't see on my SB6183's config page

    submitted by /u/cdoublejj
    [link] [comments]

    Powerlink problem

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 12:46 PM PDT

    I'm using a BT Essentials 500 as a powerlink in my flat. This has worked fine for just under a year but now am having some issues. The data link keeps going down, so I can connect for around 4 minutes before having to reset the connection by pressing buttons. Is my device faulty and is there a better alternative to get Wi-fi to the extremities of the space? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SelectStarFromAll
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel