• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, September 27, 2018

    Home Networking I am trying to fix my family's home network, and believe my Modem/Router combo is the issue, but what should I get to replace it?

    Home Networking I am trying to fix my family's home network, and believe my Modem/Router combo is the issue, but what should I get to replace it?


    I am trying to fix my family's home network, and believe my Modem/Router combo is the issue, but what should I get to replace it?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 01:50 PM PDT

    Long story short my family's current device is an Arris Surfboard SB6580

    https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SBG6580-DOCSIS-2-4Ghz/dp/B0040IUI46

    and it consistently drops our internet and delivers well short of the internet we pay for. Our provider is Cox and we should get ~100mbps down and up. However, we often are closer to 10/10.

    In shopping for new devices I was wondering if it would be best to go with this MOTOROLA MG7540 16x4 Cable Modem plus AC1600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router.

    https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-MG7540-AC1600-Gigabit-Maximum/dp/B01MSTB5KW/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1538073224&sr=1-6&keywords=modem+router+combo#customerReviews

    or

    Both the MOTOROLA 16x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7420, 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 and the TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router - 5GHz Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1E6BA2/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza and https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1538076375&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=router&psc=1

    Are these good devices? are these good values? total budget is around $140. We have a 2500 sq ft home, so I believe these should get enough range.

    I have been told that separating the modem and router is beneficial, but am not tech savvy enough to know why.

    One feature I do like about the combined device is the Broadcom cable modem chipset that provides security from Denial of Service attacks as I have been hit with a DDoS attack before. Would the other devices be able to do the same as well though?

    Thank you ahead of time for any and all responses <3

    Edit: Just saw this on Amazon for $10 cheaper than the other router after a $10 coupon is applied, is this a better deal?https://www.amazon.com/Tenda-AC15-AC1900-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B0143HBZMW/ref=sr_1_41_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1538078508&sr=1-41-spons&keywords=router&psc=1

    submitted by /u/Captain_Titty_Clap
    [link] [comments]

    Home Networking noob... just wondering exactly what I have here. Worth keeping to tinker with or junking

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 06:27 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/lrm0eqU

    Just what the title says. I'm a lurker, always have been intrigued. Never made the jump. But my buddy had these in his basement from the previous owner of the house. It's been years since he's lived there, he had plenty of time to get it back. I'm just wondering whether what I have here is worth using for a small home network of just me and my wife and the random friends we have over. Any information on what I have is appreciated. I'm a big gamer, streamer, and I've recently started video and photo editing and also some beginners coding. Appreciate any help.

    -Thanks all for the info. Turns out they're older 10/100 switches. Going to keep them for now to tinker and hopefully learn networking basics. Then possibly sell them to put money towards a gig switch when I'm ready. If anyone has a place (book, youtube channel, site, Reddit siderbar) to learn basic networking please let me know!

    submitted by /u/TheOGdeez
    [link] [comments]

    Bandwidth fully utilized, but actual throughput only a fraction of that amount.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 12:08 PM PDT

    This is throwing me for a loop and I work in networking...

    I have a 50/10Mbit home connection, so theoretically I should be topping out at 6.25 Mbps down, 1.25Mbps up.

    Well I recently built a new gaming computer and go to try and download my games from battlenet and steam, and my connection tops out at just under 1Mbps DOWN. (no matter what the game or the client, or the physical medium wired/wireless)

    The strangest thing is that when I ask windows 10 to tell me my networking performance, it's flat out at 8Mbps DOWN and only 200kbps up.

    Ok, maybe win 10 is being weird, let me see what my router says directly..... 8.320 kbit/s Down, 10.032 kbit/s Up....wtf?

    So I'm getting 3 different readings:

    • Game client says I'm getting <1Mbps down
    • Windows says I'm getting 8Mbps down, 0.2Mbps up
    • Router says I'm getting 8kbit/s down, 10kbit/s up

    I was afraid maybe there was something on my system like a cryptocurrency miner or something that could activate during a download process to mask its activity, so I did a packet capture with wireshark but didn't see anything of the sort....

    Any ideas? I'm stumped here.

    EDIT: Here is a picture of what I mean

    submitted by /u/Prophet_60091_
    [link] [comments]

    New MoCA boxes, causes one of the Cable Boxes in the house to lose TV reception.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 07:20 PM PDT

    Hello everybody. Recently I made a post on here about getting a new pair of MoCA Actiontec boxes. They work really nicely. Until today my brother tried to watch TV in his room and was unable to even pull up a channel. I thought it could be the MoCA so I unplugged it, and lo and behold he had TV back.

    I have a two way splitter at the PoE in the house, however it's only rated for 5-1000MHz. My Actiontec box included a 5-1650MHz splitter but after installing that at the PoE it made no difference.

    I'm very confused here but to my best ability here is the network diagram: https://i.imgur.com/0LxLkr7.jpg

    Any ideas as this is really frustrating. Unplugging the MoCA instantly gives TV back but once I plug in the one TV goes out.

    submitted by /u/MoopusMaximus
    [link] [comments]

    MoCA with APs or MoCA with Mesh?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 03:17 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    Me again! I'm looking for the best solution for my house still. I wanted a Mesh System originally, but it seems like most of those have issues with firmware, disconnects, etc. (lookin' at you, Orbi!)

    In light of this, I'm wondering if it would be better to do the following:

    Basement: Cable Modem + Router + MoCA + AP

    Basement Gaming Room: MoCA + Switch (to connect directly to consoles)

    Midfloor: MoCA + AP

    Upstairs: MoCA + AP

    Would this perform, theoretically, better than a Mesh setup? Is this needlessly expensive? An Orbi would be about $320 for 2 if I went with the RBK50. Possible costs:

    Cable Modem (DOCSIS 3.0) - Free

    MoCA x 3 - $180

    EdgeRouter X Router - $50

    Ubiquiti LITE x 3 - $240

    I'd love to get ethernet ran to 4 places in my house instead, but I imagine that's much more expensive since it's spread between 3 floors.

    If I went the Mesh route, I'd be using a MoCA backhaul, as I'm trying to make streaming my consoles remotely from downstairs to upstairs possible, but it may be a waste of time without using pure ethernet without MoCA.

    submitted by /u/BenderX
    [link] [comments]

    USB wifi adapter+VPN connection

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 03:05 PM PDT

    I purchased a Meross AC600 Wireless USB Adapter MWA255. So that my laptop (Compaq Presario CQ57-229WM) would be capable of connecting to my 5ghz wifi. It works great, but now I can't establish my VPN connection (proton) . Is there something that needs configuring or is it just not possible?

    submitted by /u/Eternal00
    [link] [comments]

    How to extend WiFi range in an old rental house?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 02:50 PM PDT

    I'm a college student renting part of an older home with a few other students. One of the bedrooms (mine), is pretty far away from the others. Additionally, the walls seem to be pretty thick. So the WiFi signal is very poor in that room, with brief disconnects every 10-15 minutes.

    What we'd like to do is find a way to get the signal to reach all parts of the house equally. We're going to experiment with moving the router around, but it's pretty central as is.

    It's been hard to follow along with most online guides because of these restrictions:

    1. There are no ethernet ports anywhere in the house, just coax and phone lines. Our current router-modem that we got from our ISP on installation (which is probably a piece of shit and contributing to the problem) has a coax port on it.

    2. Since it's a rental, we can't go drilling into the walls and running ethernet cords anywhere.

    Any advice? We've looked into wireless repeaters, but the general consensus seems to be that they're worthless. Any other suggestions?

    submitted by /u/AshamedMulberry8
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco wap321 "bridge mode"

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 06:05 PM PDT

    Can a cisco wap321 be configured to receive wifi, i believe this is called "bridge mode"

    I made a Yagi antenna and have this AP laying around and wondering if i can use it in reverse, Receive WiFi to access internet through ethernet cable.

    I need to run about 30' of cable so i didn't want to go the USB dongle route, just waterproof the AP and mount it on the roof with the antiana.

    I'm stuck in a broadband dead zone but the ground is flat and trees are low in the valley.

    I don't have enough vaseline to go the 4G route...

    submitted by /u/davisdesign
    [link] [comments]

    MoCa adapter for Optimum Online

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 05:33 PM PDT

    I have Optimum and want to add an Ethernet port in my home office. I tried an Actiontec MoCa adapter I had from Verizon but that didn't work so I tried an Actiontec WCB3000N which also didn't detect the coax signal. Which MoCa adapter (if any) will work with Optimum? Thx.

    submitted by /u/regal_tech_llc
    [link] [comments]

    SMB router and setup recommendations

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 08:37 AM PDT

    Here's my problem:

    I am a programmer and this means that the office thinks I'm also an IT or networking expert and so I must fix the slow Internet.

    Our office is located in a semi-rural area. We have crap 10Mbps internet connections that constantly drops. We have two separate networks: one for 5 VOIP phones and one for regular office use. There are approximately 12 people and 20 devices total on the router. We are growing fast and will likely be ~25 before the end of the year.

    Here's my tentative solution and where I would like recommendations:

    • I would like to ditch one of the internet connections and replace it with one from a different ISP, so that downtime or drops are not in sync.
    • I would like to put everything on a single LAN (is that a good idea?)
    • I would like to have a load balancing / broadband bonding router, but I'm not sure what to buy. I would like a solution that is simple enough that I don't have to deal with an external resource, but I'm resourceful enough. Recommendations?
    • Any other ideas / recommendations?
    submitted by /u/Friendly_Popo
    [link] [comments]

    Hey, can you guys help me with my internet connection

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 05:07 PM PDT

    So I was playing games with friends the other day, then my discord and google disconnected but the game was running on multiplayer, I then turned off and restarted both my internet and my laptop but it didn't work and now whenever i used my laptop at night, that triangle caution sign appears on my internet bars everyday and i don't know how to fix it.

    submitted by /u/Bleu_705
    [link] [comments]

    How to properly setup wireless access points to the network in a large(surface) company?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 01:19 PM PDT

    I am working at a company as a software engineer and also took the responsibility of being in charge of the network as it is a pretty simple configuration. My knowledge of networking is basic level. The building is long and narrow and I need to setup wi-fi on the first and second floor.

    The network setup is a FortiGate 60C with around 30 ethernet cables going to every office. I need to add multiple WiFi Access Points and would like to achieve, if possible:

    • Have only one WiFi network, user does not have to connect to each AP when going in another part of the building.
    • Keep the same IP class, 192.168.12.0/24 that the FortiGate uses for the devices connected to the WiFi
    • AP uses DHCP for IP assigning but also lets users connect with their preferred IP
    • Be on a budget ~160$ for 2-3 APs

    I need help with the hardware I should choose. Should I buy consumer routers or are there any specific devices for this kind of use? Can the AP handle DHCP?

    submitted by /u/anduhd
    [link] [comments]

    Hello, need help shopping for a new router

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 04:49 PM PDT

    Hello, currently i have a D‑Link DIR‑605L as my router. I have Spectrum internet which im suppose to get 100mbps. When i connect my computer to the modem directly i can get more or less around 100 when doing speed test. When i connect to the router I end up getting about 75 on the test then goes down to 20 after a few days or so. With the 15% off ebay coupon i was wondering if you had any recommendations i should go with? I connect 2 computers to the router and maybe a 3rd comp to come. We use it to play video games and sometimes we stream videos on the tv. Sometimes when downloading games it blocks everyone from using the internet until the download is done. Would like the router to have wireless so that we can connect to it. We have a few phones that we like to watch youtube or just to use around the house. House is not to big its 1 story house. Anything around 100 dollars plus or minus a 30 dollars would be alright. Sorry i do not know much about routers or network. Thank you for the time and responses in advance.

    Edit: woops the 15% off I'd gone but if you still have recommendations are still welcomed. Thank you once again

    submitted by /u/ToToby
    [link] [comments]

    Just hoping for a smooth internet connection

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 04:27 PM PDT

    My wife and I moved to a new city and subscribed to a new internet provider. We have done this plenty of times and have never struggled so much with a reliable internet connection. We brought our one year old Belkin 1200AC router with us and connected it to our new Arris Surfboard SB6183 modem.

    At times, the 100 mbps connection works great and there are no problems, then suddenly, it seems to stop working entirely or slow down to dialup speeds. We have not had problems streaming video, but we have with everything else.

    Over the last week, we have had two techs come out and try to diagnose and fix the problem. I thought the last tech nailed it when he said that download/upload speed is great and that our router just needed a firmware update. After he left, I discovered that our modem already had the latest firmware update.

    Everything has been reset and restarted multiple times and I don't know where to go from here. Everything I have tried, hasn't worked and I could really use some direction from the Reddit community.

    For anyone out there that might have some advice: thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Nightshark13
    [link] [comments]

    SB6141 vs SB6183

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 04:24 PM PDT

    I was recently having a few issues with my internet and thought my modem was possibly acting up. I found a used SB6183 on Amazon for $30 so figured I'd pick it up just in case I can't resolve my issues and actually need a new modem. I've since resolved issues and the 6141 is working sufficiently and all is well in the world. In my troubleshooting, I found an article that stated Comcast is starting to drop the SB6141 even though it's officially on their recognized modems. I'm not one to fix what isn't broke, but at only $30 I'm looking to get an opinion on if you would just keep the upgraded 6183 over the 6141 to alleviate any concerns in the near future about the 6141 getting dropped?

    submitted by /u/Casten_Von_SP
    [link] [comments]

    How do I network two PCs, first one as virtual server and second as client

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 12:28 PM PDT

    We're trying to configure a server (s8 r2 pc1) using vmware and connect it to physical machine (w7 pc2) using a crossover tp cable

    UPDATE: Can now ping client to server but when

    submitted by /u/ZombieTofuu
    [link] [comments]

    Netgear R6300(V1) Overclocking

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 03:57 PM PDT

    Would there be any tangible benefit to doing this I recently threw on DD-WRT and noticed this was an option.

    submitted by /u/daltonsky9
    [link] [comments]

    Help with MoCA equipment

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 12:01 PM PDT

    So I recently learned about MoCA, and all I can find are devices that are similar to a powerline Ethernet Adapter.

    I currently have my all of my coax cables hooked up through a splitter with one being fed to my cable modem. I want to be able to eventually end up with ethernet at the destination.

    So from the utility closet go from device into coax network, then out at the destination and turned into ethernet.

    Can I use that splitter kind of like a switch with moca?

    Any devices that could do something like that? or a modem that might have MoCA built in so that I could use that as the main device and then pump that out to my coaxial "switch".

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jamalstevens
    [link] [comments]

    Synology DS218 NAS won't connect to LAN

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 10:47 AM PDT

    I recently got a Synology DS218 for a simple NAS to play around with. I hooked up the Ethernet to my router, and tried to use the URL: r/http://find.synology.com/ to locate the device and find it's IP. But, the search went on for a while and nothing came up. The lights on both ends of the Ethernet cable are lighting up, and the LAN light is illuminated on the NAS. Also, something that needs added is that at my home, there are currently two wireless networks running, but only one modem, and one router. I am very confused on my situation and I am just getting into the basics of networking. Any help, tips, tricks, or information would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Panthers39
    [link] [comments]

    New router for 1gb fiber

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 02:26 PM PDT

    I'll be getting fiber next month. They provide a modem, have said I'll need a router.

    I don't know anything about routers. I'm looking to spend around $100? But I would spend more if need be.

    Main uses are pc and console gaming in the same room that the router will be. Pc wired, consoles on wifi. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Biosnarf
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Homekit Issues – I'm Desperate

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 06:02 AM PDT

    Hey everyone! I am having issues that I can not seem to solve in any way. I have 3 iHome smart plugs that I use to convert some dumb lights into smart ones. At absolutely random times they all go to not responding and usually I have to unplug and replug them or restart the router for them to work again. Sometimes following a restart, they'll last hours, sometimes days. I can't find any pattern to it. I was thinking that it was simply my router, and was going to upgrade, but this morning I checked in the iHome app and 2 of the 3 were responding in the iHome app even though they are marked as not responding in the Apple Home app. This really just confuses me, because clearly they're making it through the router to my network/phone, they just aren't making it to the Apple Home app. I've tried a few things in my router that haven't seemed to have helped. I did create a static IP address for only one of the devices, but I can't tell if it is helping or not. It was one of the ones working in the iHome app this morning.

    It is probably also relevant to say that I live in an apartment building, so there's likely lots of interference. I read that I should enable IGMP snooping, but I can't find the setting in my awful Ubee router. And like I said, I was going to buy a new router, but if it was the router why would it show up in the iHome app?

    I appreciate any help you all can give me! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/sauderjoshua
    [link] [comments]

    Why relatively fresh Asus RT-AC58U lacks Download Master feature?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 01:28 PM PDT

    I've just bought Asus RT-AC58U which is relatively fresh model (August 2016), it is cheep and has good reviews.

    One of it's features is broadcasting 4g internet which I find quite useful.

    But after I set up everything I realized that there is no Download Master app which I also wanted to have and which has been for ages in some older models (my mistake, I didn't check specifications).

    Question: Any reason of not introducing this feature in newer routers? Did anyone try this feature? Did you find it useful?

    I'm thinking of returning back the RT-AC58U and replacing it with RT-AC66U which does have this feature. But what stops me is that the RT-AC66U is already 6 years old, it doesn't support 4g and it costs more.

    submitted by /u/jshavel
    [link] [comments]

    Reworking my home network.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 12:39 PM PDT

    Greetings,

    I want to wipe my entire home networking infrastructure and rework on it. It is working poorly, and i'm having lots of disconnections when stress-using(e.g. streaming/gaming). My current router is brought to me by my ISP: D-LINK DSL 225. I also have wifi extenders

    My home is prettty large, i have 4 floors and the router is on the 2nd floor(first floor is a basement).

    There's a wifi extender on every floor. Here's an awful illustration of the 2nd floor(where the router is). The red circle is the router. The size is the same on all floors: https://imgur.com/a/zYFCjOE.

    My budget is about 150$. I'm not living in the US, and i'm probably going to buy it all from the internet(Amazon.. probably...). My aim is to have a STRONG wifi signal on all floors, and to support high quality streaming and gaming. I have looked a bit on this router:

    https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Band-AiMesh-Router-AC1900-System/dp/B00FB45SI4/ref=sr_1_acs_bss_4_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1538077093&sr=1-4-acs&keywords=router

    And read some positive reviews on it...

    Any experts that can help me? You're talking to a real newbie when it comes to physical network infrastructure.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Sourcerful
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with hardware selection for Homemade Router/WiFi Access Point

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 06:28 AM PDT

    So I'm currently planning out my first Pfsense build, I intend to use desktop PC hardware that I already have and add 2* PCIe WiFi Adapters & 2* PCIe Quad port RJ45 Gigabit adapters.

    What I wanted advice on is which Wireless cards (PCIe, Mini PCIe or M.2) to get, I'm based in the UK, I have no problems ordering from Aliexpress if they will offer what I'm after.

    I need at least 2x2 802.11AC WiFi and of course that covers both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz frequencies.

    As I currently understand it Pfsense needs hardware that supports Linux, I have found a card that offers roughly what I'm after and it's called a EP-9609, it uses a RTL8814AE chipset I believe, would this be compatible or do I need to look at other options?

    Thanks to anyone who can help,

    PG

    submitted by /u/P2theG1
    [link] [comments]

    Spectrum Internet Modem Probs?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 10:37 AM PDT

    I have Spectrum internet and have owned my Motorola SB6120 modem for quite a while. Been losing wifi signal continuously, so trying to narrow down if it's a modem problem, or the routers (2 ASUS RT-AC68Us). Can anything be gleaned from either of these images from the modem? Thanks!

    https://imgur.com/a/yYm2CIb

    https://imgur.com/a/s72yqYG

    submitted by /u/tpauth
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel