• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, September 30, 2018

    Android Help Sunday Rant/Rage (Sep 30 2018) - Your weekly complaint thread!

    Android Help Sunday Rant/Rage (Sep 30 2018) - Your weekly complaint thread!


    Sunday Rant/Rage (Sep 30 2018) - Your weekly complaint thread!

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:14 AM PDT

    Note 1. Join our Discord, IRC, and Telegram chat-rooms! Please see our wiki for instructions.

    This weekly Sunday thread is for you to let off some steam and speak out about whatever complaint you might have about:

    • Your device.

    • Your carrier.

    • Your device's manufacturer.

    • An app

    • Any other company


    Rules

    1) Please do not target any individuals or try to name/shame any individual. If you hate Google/Samsung/HTC etc. for one thing that is fine, but do not be rude to an individual app developer.

    2) If you have a suggestion to solve another user's issue, please leave a comment but be sure it's constructive! We do not want any flame-wars.

    3) Be respectful of other's opinions. Even if you feel that somebody is "wrong" you don't have to go out of your way to prove them wrong. Disagree politely, and move on.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    About those five cameras on the LG V40 ThinQ...

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:56 PM PDT

    Most useless software features in Samsung's past smartphones

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 02:53 PM PDT

    The world's FASTEST phone charger (SuperVOOC explained)

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:19 AM PDT

    Smart Rotate: A Forgotten Galaxy Feature That Needs to Come Back

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:56 PM PDT

    Many of you may not remember this feature that debuted on the Galaxy S3 and showed up in several other Samsung devices, but Smart Rotate may have been the best implementation of auto-rotation I've ever seen.

    It worked using the front facing camera in conjunction with the typical gyroscopic sensor to determine not only what direction the phone was oriented, but also in which way your face is oriented relative to the screen and the pull of gravity. It would auto-magically rotate the screen to ensure that no matter which way you're holding the phone you don't have to crank your head to read the screen properly.

    As an example of this, let's say you're laying down in bed on your back and watching a YouTube video in landscape, then decide to roll to your side but continue viewing the clip. On a phone these days with regular auto-rotation turned on the screen will flip back to portrait mode because now the device's gyroscope senses that vertical orientation, but the Galaxy S3's screen would remain in landscape even though the device is currently being held in what would normally be a portrait orientation. In this way, you never had to turn off auto-rotate, which was kind of nice when I could move that toggle to the second page in my notification menu to make room for toggles I thought would be more useful.

    I see Google making some efforts to help with auto-rotation by adding a button to the nav bar when a change in orientation is detected in the latest editions of Pie, but I think that Samsung had this issue solved back in 2012 and likely only nixed it because nobody even knew it was an option, probably because it was nestled in the menus along with some of their weirder UI tweaks like Smart Scroll. I don't want to have to push a button for my phone to rotate, that's the whole point of auto-rotate, so what gives? Wouldn't it be a simple thing to simply have the phone poll the gyroscope and, when it detects an orientation shift that would normally initiate a screen rotation, simply turn on the front camera to quickly check the orientation of the person viewing the screen and decide whether to rotate based on that analysis?

    submitted by /u/Bunghole_of_Fury
    [link] [comments]

    Something that gets overlooked all the time: GPS quality

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:22 AM PDT

    On most reviews I can't see phones being tested against their GPS accuracy, or if they support Galileo satellites. It's probably a niche but for me it's important now. My Mi A1 is okayish, nothing too bad, sometimes it looses GPS and the accuracy is a few meters off. What about your phone?

    submitted by /u/konrad-iturbe
    [link] [comments]

    [Discussion] 3 Years ago today, Google acquired RCS start up Jibe to push the new messaging standard

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:06 AM PDT

    [Tech Crunch] Google Acquires Jibe Mobile To Help Adopt New Standard For Carrier Messaging

    And yet, after 3 years of Google backing the RCS standard, not even half of major US carriers have implemented RCS Universal Profile completely.

    I want to know what you guys think. Do you think RCS is a failure? At what point should we consider it a failure? Or do you think we're getting close to an RCS renaissance?

    As for me, I just don't see RCS ever working out for the following reasons:

    1. It's carrier dependent. Carriers are short term thinkers with money as their motivation. I don't think we'll see widespread adoption of Universal Profile RCS until carriers can find some way to monetize RCS... which isn't a good thing.
    2. Apple hasn't adopted RCS and likely never will. Apple is finding great success in creating the "green text bubble" stigma and selling iPhones because of it. If you talked with any high school student in the US, you'd know that this stigma is real. Apple has no incentive to adopt RCS.
    3. No easy solution for end-to-end encryption. It is possible to have end-to-end encryption over RCS, but it would require the cooperation of carriers... and we all know how the last 3 years have gone.

    Anyway, what do you guys think? Is RCS dead or is it just around the corner?

    Why RCS matters to me: I live in the US where iMessage has taken a considerate market share. Almost no one uses Whatsapp here, and don't bother asking them to download it; they won't. That means for me, the only way I can communicate with 95% of the people in my life is through SMS and MMS. If you told me 10 years ago that I'd still be using SMS in 2018, I would've laughed you off... but here we are. And let me tell you, the green text bubble stigma is real. People will leave me out of group messages so that they can send full res pics and videos. I've been told not to take group photos because I don't have iMessage. And honestly, I don't blame them. When everyone is on iMessage, it's just so much better and easier to share content. I love Android and don't want to give it up, but the main purpose of my phone is communication, and Android messaging in the US is a complete and utter mess. I'm not a fan of iOS, but if Android doesn't get it together soon, I can't keep going on using SMS as my main form of communication. I was hoping that RCS would fix all of this, but it's getting towards the end of 2018, and I just don't see it ever happening.

    submitted by /u/UrgeSmith
    [link] [comments]

    Would you use an all-screen, no bezel, no front-face camera phone?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:50 AM PDT

    While trying to find a new phone this generation, I've realized I have used my FFC (front-face camera) absolutely 0 times the entire time I've had my Pixel 2 XL.

    I have no use for it. I don't take selfies. Period. I do take a lot of pictures, but all use the rear camera. I rarely do video chat and when I do, it's so I can show somebody something with my camera, not so they can stare at my face.

    So now I'm wondering, how many others here also rarely, hardly ever, use the front face camera? I would totally welcome a device without it, meaning all screen and no notches.

    The only possible use I could get out of the FFC would essentially be use as a mirror, but then I remember my Xperia Z5 Premium with a mirrored back. It didn't look or feel tacky and definitely something I miss having, and something I would definitely welcome again.

    submitted by /u/ShortFuse
    [link] [comments]

    XDA Smartphone Camera Comparison – Part 2: Moving from Outdoors to Indoors

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 11:16 AM PDT

    Google Play Games has a little bouncing Android hidden minigame now

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:37 AM PDT

    [Discussion] What feature(s) would an Android user from 2008 - 2010 be excited/grateful for if they could use our modern versions of Android?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:30 AM PDT

    Was thinking about this recently. I joined Android around 2011 and have used versions 2.1 till 8.1 currently and I honestly forgot just how much we didn't have without rooting or modding.

    My pics are:

    • Built in screenshots

    • A more organised settings app

    • A lot of mods only needing an ADB command to work rather than root

    • Richer notification layouts and controls

    • Quick settings

    • A better multitasking UI

    • Native DPI settings

    • Native hotspot functionality

    • Built in power saving mode

    submitted by /u/WubbyLubbyDoobDoob
    [link] [comments]

    Am I the only one who thinks telephoto lenses are silly?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:46 AM PDT

    In my opinion, after having a OnePlus 5 and not at all being impressed with the telephoto and hardly using it all, I really think they are quite pointless. I have also tried the LG G6 with the wide angle lens and personally I think it's miles better than a telephoto, since you can get really cool shots with it and why do you need a telephoto when you can just crop in on the standard lens, which usually has a high enough resolution nowadays.

    Anyone else agree?

    submitted by /u/SkittlezTheCool
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for something different? Try this throwback of the HTC Magic: the G1's successor!

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 11:58 AM PDT

    Counterclockwise: Huawei bets on Android early and grows big quickly

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 05:36 AM PDT

    Poco F1 is NOT unbrickable due to EDL mode being protected

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 11:07 PM PDT

    Before I got started on hacking the Poco (e.g. custom splash graphics, maybe repartition for dualboot, who knows what else) I wanted to port-over my Low-level Backup/Restore kit from Mi A1.

    To my disappointment I have discovered that the EDL mode on the Poco is protected by some proprietary Xiaomi authorization.

    This is the same problem encountered as those many who have bricked over anti-rollback protection in other devices - they cannot get authorization.

    So, in summary - EDL flashing is not possible as Xiaomi have locked it to authorized machines only. Avoid messing around with non-standard-Android partitions at all costs.

    Source - https://forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/how-to/psa-poco-unbrickable-due-to-edl-mode-t3841006

    There's a poll conducted on this issue whether they should disable edl checks completely in PocoPhone or not..and majority voted for yes.

    Link to Poll - https://t.me/PocoF1Updates/688

    /u/matterwitu look into this please. Atleast disable edl checks at bootloader unlock. If you guys serious about developer friendliness, remove the restrictions.

    submitted by /u/Kabenari
    [link] [comments]

    Opinion: Samsung should change their product release cycle , they are killing their flagship potential and lowering resale value

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:45 AM PDT

    The title, it might sound weird but hear me out, right now Samsung releases the S and S Plus in February/March and then the Note 6-7 months later with some extra software features and the S-Pen, this is killing the Note and other Samsung products in the eyes of newcomers , there is not major hardware upgrade and they are releasing the Note with 8 month old hardware and an Older version of android right around the iPhones and their new SoCs , yea i know its only apparent in benchmarks but when you are paying that kind of money people start to nitpick about power and tech , and the release of the Note renders the S phones old and drops the resale value , yes i know others like Huawei have a 6 month cycle but they put a major camera upgrade in the "P" and then a major SoC upgrade in the Mate.

    I believe it will be way better for the Galaxy Flagship line if they release all 3 phones in February on a 1 year release cycle, going up in features :normal S , S+ , Note , this will ensure all 3 have the latest and greatest hardware and software , and will add Value to the Samsung Flagship Line in my opinion , i hope they go this way

    submitted by /u/Mahesvara-37
    [link] [comments]

    Give me a hand with my dodgy Android Russian Spy phone.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 11:21 PM PDT

    Hey Everyone!

    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, If not, please direct me where to go.

    So I arrived in Australia and needed a phone, I brought a $50 android off FB marketplace because that's all I could afford.

    It went well, but after a couple of weeks it was suddenly riddled with spyware/adware.

    I did a factory reset and all seemed well, a few days later once again a whole bunch of suspicious apps were installed on it.

    When I try to Download secure apps like my Banking app and Uber, my bank account was insta-Frozen and Uber Auto-banned me.

    these are some of the dodgy apps I find on it:

    clock: 1.36mb, 4.44mb data usage in an hour, Looks like the clock app, but it isnt.

    com.android.contacts: 100kb, uses 1mb per hour it's installed. When I delete it it comes back within a day.

    com.app.origional.init2in: 1.25mb, No Data use, comes back within a day.

    com.hamy.main.app: 236kb, 18.93kb data usage in an hour, Keeps coming back when I delete it.

    coordinator: 14.94mb, 67.84mb of data usage in an hour, Keeps coming back within a day.

    f: Symbol looks like Facebook, but it isnt. 220kb, No data usage.

    The phone is a XP7800, Running Android 6.0, Kernal 3.18.19.

    When I google it, there's only links in Russian and AliExpress/Alibaba.

    So I assume that the actual Android version on the phone is dodgy, Which is why it tends to auto install these apps.

    I'd like to be able to use the phone for banking and Uber, Maps etc because I'm new to this city and my bank requires the use of the app for verifying transfers.

    Can anyone recommend me a way to get a new Android version on this phone? I cant afford a new one and if it's possible I'd like to clean up this one.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/CravenA
    [link] [comments]

    Why a push for The Notch when everything could be in the bottom bezel?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 11:21 PM PDT

    I fell like title says all but I'm just curious what everyone thinks about why the push for a notch in the top of the screen vs everything (minus speaker) in the chin like I believe Xiamoi once tried.

    I personally hate the notch and rarely use the front-facing camera so I would happily end the debate which such a solution.

    Thoughts?

    Edit: to everyone saying a camera in the chin would be unflattering, rotate or hold the phone higher you fools.

    submitted by /u/blakeaholics
    [link] [comments]

    Blackview BV9500 Review - Solid 10000mAh Rugged Smartphone!

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 11:41 PM PDT

    Reminder that the Saygus phone has not shipped yet (Was supposed to release in 2015).

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:42 AM PDT

    People who bought an older flagship android phone, how did your phone age over the years?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 10:37 PM PDT

    OnePlus on Twitter: "A key innovation lies just beneath the surface. Prepare for the #OnePlus6T.… "

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 08:03 AM PDT

    there's already an android with extra battery (kinda reproducing the days of removable batteries)

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 10:45 AM PDT

    I often see comments around reddit mentioning how we all want longer batteries and wouldn't mind sacrificing weight/thickness for it and how much we miss the removable batteries for extra battery.

    well, I have had the Moto Z Force since Abril and I'm extremely happy with the Battery moto mod. I think it's such a good solution for the battery problem. The inbuilt one already lasts me a good part of the day with heavy use, and I then connect the mod when I'm in the bus or sitting down for a meal (anytime the extra bulk won't get too much in the way). I have never managed to complete finish off that extra battery, but if I did, all I had to do was to buy an extra mod.

    I'm a big fan of the "force" promise, because I do drop my phone all the time (this post is partially inspired by the post about hating covers) and it's amazing not to have a worry in the world about it. This phone has really survived some high drops.

    Anyway, just my 2 cents because as I said, at least one hardware manufacturer has already made a phone for people that really want more battery but don't give a damn about size/weight and I think the solution is great. Or am I missing something?

    submitted by /u/ihatemybrownsofa
    [link] [comments]

    Mi 8 Explorer Edition Durability Test - Is it FAKE?!

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:45 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel