• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, April 22, 2018

    Simple Questions - April 22, 2018

    Simple Questions - April 22, 2018


    Simple Questions - April 22, 2018

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 05:14 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    after finally 2 years without pc.. today i finished mine !

    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 07:47 PM PDT

    so after my dad passed away i sold most of my pc coz we didnt had any money and today.. after 2 years i finally have another one , i just want to share my happiness with someone , been so long journey and im sure he is proud of me man up and covering my family needs

    got i7 8700K

    1080 founders edition

    asrock z370 pro 4

    EVGA 600W bronze 80+

    ddr4 16gb 3000mhz

    500ssd and 2tb external drive

    thank you all for the help and everything u guys have done <3

    EDIT : oh my god thank you all so much , photos incoming today in few hours after i get home !

    submitted by /u/stillalert
    [link] [comments]

    Why are Thunderbolt 3 enabled motherboards and add-in-cards so impossible to find?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 10:48 AM PDT

    I'm putting together an audio recording/editing rig for a friend who is considering a move away from the Apple ecosystem. His $3k audio interface (UA Apollo 8P) runs via Thunderbolt 2 and UA have declared it compatible with PC's via a Thunderbolt 2 - Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

    Problem is - I cannot seem to find ANY 8th-gen Intel motherboards w/ native Tbolt. Some mention compatibility via an "add in card" such as the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge or ASROCK Thunderbolt 3 AIC, but I also cannot find those parts in-stock anywhere.

    Any thoughts on a solution? You can find laptops with TB3 all day long! Where's the desktop love? :(

    submitted by /u/thunderstomper
    [link] [comments]

    So I've built my PC! Now What?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 08:16 AM PDT

    I've built my PC, What's the next thing I should do to get it setup software wise?

    • I assume to update and install drivers (What's the best way to do that)

    • I should probably stress test my PC too (What's the best way to do that)

    • How do I maintain the PC overtime (Both software and hardware wise)

    • Do you guys have any other final advice

    Thanks in advanced! Sorry for all of the stupid questions

    submitted by /u/zrk03
    [link] [comments]

    i7-3770 - time to upgrade?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 12:39 PM PDT

    Current hardware:

    i7-3770 (non-K) 3.4GHz/4.0GHz turbo

    16 GB

    GTX 1080ti

    750W PS

    SSD OS drive/7.2k SATA data

    Alienware AW3418DW 3440x1440 UltraWide at 100Hz with Gsync

    For the most part games look and perform pretty good - mostly racing/flight sims but getting more FPS games like The Division and Ghost Recon Wildlands. But, I would prefer to hold 100Hz/FPS if possible - The Division usually 70-100 with high settings, GRW 50-70FPS.

    Question, do you think an i7-8700 (k or not) would be worth the upgrade cost - I estimate approximately $750 for new CPU/motherboard/RAM. I like the eye candy at a fairly high FPS (100 ideal) but don't know if the new 6 core processor @ 4.7GHz would help much over my 4 core 4.0GHz and be a better match for my 1080ti.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Fassbendr
    [link] [comments]

    Installed new SSD, did clean install of windows on it, but wont connect to internet with ethernet.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 11:25 AM PDT

    Hey there,

    Pretty confused so would appreciate any help.

    So i wanted to clone my new OS to my SSD however i realized that you cant pick particular programs you want to put on your ssd ( i wanted just my OS and a couple games on there). So i downloaded the windows installer on a USB disc drive, and then did a clean install of windows on my SSD. It boots up quickly but i literally have no drives for anything and it wont connect to the internet and i cant update any drives.

    I went back and rebooted from my HDD which is how I'm able to post here. Am i doing this totally wrong orrrr?

    Appreciate any help, thanks

    submitted by /u/Awacs88
    [link] [comments]

    A few little things I learned from my first build.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 09:52 AM PDT

    Hey guys! I spent a good deal of time researching parts and thought once I got the parts in the rest would be just like grown up legos. There were a few basic things I didn't see anywhere prior to the actual build (probably my fault for not doing build research) so here are a few of my learnings.

     

    A lot of things need power you wouldn't otherwise know. I bought a semi-modular PSU so I was a bit confused to have a few cables I didn't know where they went. The motherboard usually has 2 power cables to plug in, a big 24 pin (I believe) and a smaller one usually near the CPU. Further more some semi-modular PSU have a GPU cable hardwired in, oh yah the GPU needs power too which is less surprising than I first thought.

     

    On the topic of power your storage drive would also like some power. I had plugged the SATA cables in thinking that would supply data communication and power to them and was curious why my BIOS didn't detect them at first. Same thing goes for an optical drive, again I don't know why I didn't expect this.

     

    Other than that, and a slightly intimidating CPU cooler install, it really is like adult legos, guys. If you're on the fence about building a PC I would highly recommend it, you end up getting a great computer exactly how you want it and an equally valuable experience. Reddit is your friend when it comes to building a PC, I can't thank you guys enough for the help you gave me, I hope this post has helped out at least a couple of people in return!

    submitted by /u/TheSaltiestNoob
    [link] [comments]

    Which is the cheapest Motherboard for the Ryzen 2600?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 12:46 PM PDT

    I'm deciding between an i5 8400 or a ryzen 2600, I was getting more into the ryzen one but I've only found the x470 to build the ryzen, which isn't really cheap compared to the h310, so which is the cheapest motherboard for the 2600? and which is the cheapest motherboard for the 2600x?

    submitted by /u/thiago504
    [link] [comments]

    I need a good computer case that can silence my graphics card.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:09 PM PDT

    I have an RX Vega 56 and I OC it so this thing can get VERY loud, even with headphones. I need a good Chassis that will dampen the noise. I would prefer a tempered glass to see in but it's not required. I prefer a minimalist design too, I hate flashing lights, angles, weird shapes and all that bullshit.

    I was looking at Fractal Designs but they don't seem to have any tempered glass designs.

    submitted by /u/keldohead
    [link] [comments]

    Should i replace my 1050TI with my old R9390?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:06 PM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    So a couple months ago my computer crapped out on me and we took it to a shop to get it fixed, they replaced the 390 thinking that was the problem but found out that the Power unit was the actual thing that crapped out on us.

    So now im noticing the 1050 doesnt really meet my requirements for gaming, could I replace it with my 390 knowing that it wasn't the item that was broken, get good performance, and furthermore would it be a good idea?

    thanks

    submitted by /u/Topdogedon
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a new case for my old build, I love it!

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 03:23 PM PDT

    Hey all! NEW CASE UPGRADE!

    I built my PC back in 2016 and still works great. Since it was my first build I just hated how sloppy the wires looked because of the case(See first picture), so today I bought a NZXT S340 Elite case and decided to transfer my build on to there and boy, I love the cable management on this! Also, bought a new hard drive (had just a SSD) for other documents and music. Next job to improve would be my red fans to RGB fans. Hope you like

    EDIT: First picture is what it used to look like!

    submitted by /u/OVOYorge
    [link] [comments]

    I don't know which Ryzen CPU to choose for 1440p 144hz gaming

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 04:06 AM PDT

    Hello, I plan to buy a Ryzen CPU to finish my build with a 1080ti, and I plan to overclock the CPU. I choose Ryzen because I plan to work on this computer. I also bought a 1440p 144hz monitor for gaming. In my opinion I would go for the Ryzen 5 2600, but I'm not sure

    submitted by /u/Dan-Djuma
    [link] [comments]

    My linux file server is 12 years old....I want to buy a new one....what do you recommend?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 01:17 PM PDT

    I'm not going to be doing any gaming on it, its basically going to be a file server running Ubuntu but I built my current machine 12 years ago and I don't think today's Linux will run on the older hardware.

    It doesn't have to be super expensive but fast enough to last another 10 years as a file server. Need a 4TB hard drive.

    submitted by /u/nothingduploading
    [link] [comments]

    Here's my build, any suggestions appreciated! :)

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:02 PM PDT

    It's my first time building a computer, and I've been doing a lot of research to make sure I'm going to get exactly what I want. I want the computer mostly for gaming, but I'm going to college next year as a CS major so I thought an upgrade from my school laptop would be a good idea, although probably not necessary.

    Here's my build:

    CPU: i5-8400 2.8GHZ

    Cooler: Arctic - Freezer 7 Pro

    GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

    Motherboard: MSI z370-Pro

    RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4-2666 MHZ

    PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

    Storage: Western Digital 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD and Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB SSD

    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300

    I also splurged a little on the peripherals, which you can see in the full PC Part Picker build. Like I said, this is my first time so any tips are appreciated. Also, I was wondering if the anti-static bracelets are worth it when building. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/gman32300
    [link] [comments]

    Is a fresh Win 10 install as seamless in AMD systems as it is for Intel?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 01:32 PM PDT

    After building my 8700k/Win 10 box I was surprised that nothing further was necessary. No hardware conflicts, functional internet, vid drivers auto installed, all system components recognized and working without issue. Are AMD systems as 'hands-off' to get it up to speed?

    submitted by /u/elvis_at_costco
    [link] [comments]

    Would this PC Run Games as Well as a PS4?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:33 PM PDT

    Would either of these two builds be able to play games as well as a PS4? I would like to be able to play AAA games with PS4 level graphics and fps AT LEAST. Thanks.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6jsMZR

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TGxDxG

    submitted by /u/rnw10va
    [link] [comments]

    My build list. Feedback appreciated before buying all the parts!

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 03:43 PM PDT

    Build Help:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes!

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Gaming.

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    1080p. 60 FPS.

    Potential build:

    CPU - Ryzen 3 1300X

    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO

    Mobo - GA AB350-Gaming 3 ATX

    Memory - Team Vulcan 8GB (2x4GB)

    Storage - Inland 240GB 2.5" SSD

    Case - Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower

    PSU - Corsair 550W

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    The friend I'm getting the motherboard from forgot to mail the stock backplate on accident. He said most aftermarket coolers come with their own. Does the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO come with it? I can't figure that out.

    submitted by /u/PlasmaPistol
    [link] [comments]

    Input needed. i7 6800k ? i7 5820k ? Or i7 8700k ?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 11:36 AM PDT

    Good afternoon reddit. Have never pc gamed in my life, will be my first build.

    The question is simple, which of these 3 processors are the best/highest performing ? Or rate them from high performing to lowest performing.

    Plan on playing PUBG , Siege and lots of other competitive titles. Don't really plan on streaming.

    Thanks in advance, peace and blessings.

    submitted by /u/69_world
    [link] [comments]

    Can you sli a laptop 1070 and an external thunderbolt 3 connected 1070? Without a bridge obviously.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 03:01 PM PDT

    Snagged a ROG 1080ti that will arrive on Wednesday. I have not bought anything else and I am hoping to buy the parts as sales come and go. Should I?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 06:45 AM PDT

    I have been wanting to build my own system for a while now. I have been reading up, but I have no experience.

    Bought an ROG 1080ti for $784 before tax yesterday and now I am sitting here thinking I'll buy parts as they go on sale. Should I? I am thinking I need to be able to test the parts... but without a system to do so on...

    For those wondering, I own a laptop but I have no desktop. Is this a silly rationale?

    When, where, and how should I buy my parts? Thanks guys I love this community!

    submitted by /u/nanorino
    [link] [comments]

    Cloning hard drives.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:49 PM PDT

    I'm in need of cloning a HDD to a Samsung SSD. What is the best cloning software that you have used? I've used the Samsung data migration a while back and the drive wasn't bootable when it was finished. I may have done it wrong idk. But anyway what is everyone's choice when cloning?

    submitted by /u/challenger76589
    [link] [comments]

    Wanting to build my first PC!

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:40 PM PDT

    Build Help I want to build my first PC but I do not know the best parts to buy. I want to be able to play games at max settings and be able to stream at the same time. Budget is roughly $2,000. suggestions on the best parts??

    submitted by /u/RasonMaines
    [link] [comments]

    Build Help (Planning)

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:04 PM PDT

    I need build help.

    I have over 90 games, so it might take a while to type all of them. Most of them I run at over 100 fps but some I still have trouble with. Check all of my games on steam at Ch.3.at.3.R.

    I am fine with running games at my monitor's resolution, which is 1920 x 1080, on preferably ultra settings. I do not play VR and do not plan to either.

    My budget is to beat the pre-built pc I have at the moment. It is called the PowerSpec G419 at around the same price but better specs.

    I am purchasing my parts in the USA. East Coast.

    My potential build is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rw9hgw

    I already have a monitor and keyboard/mouse with a headset. All of them are gaming and I prefer Steelseries (I have more luck with durability with them).

    submitted by /u/fricotype0
    [link] [comments]

    Mid-budget Gaming PC Build - Got a few questions

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 10:18 AM PDT

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    1920x1080, 60FPS.

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    700-800€

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    Germany


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Type Item Price
    CPU Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor €164.90 @ Caseking
    CPU Cooler be quiet! - PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler €31.89 @ Aquatuning
    Motherboard MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard €104.90 @ Caseking
    Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory €170.89 @ Alternate
    Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €74.00
    Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case €78.43 @ Amazon Deutschland
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total €625.01
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-22 18:32 CEST+0200

    Hello everyone, I need some help to decide which parts to pick for my new Gaming PC.

    I currently don't have enough money to purchase a decent GPU along with the setup and I'll use my old GTX 770 until I am able to upgrade. Because of that, I have picked with a GTX 1060 6GB in mind, so this is important to consider.

    I also tried to build it in a way that allows me to upgrade it down the line, should I want to play newer games or switch to 1080/144hz. I could upgrade to the i7-8700k later and add a better GPU as well, so I think that's enough upgrade-potential for the future?


    It would be awesome if you could share your thoughts on my setup so far, maybe some of the parts don't go well with each other or I have missed something else?

    I also have a few questions:

    1. I was thinking about going with the 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD instead of the Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB.

    Keeping in mind that I'll only use the PC for Gaming and normal purposes, is it worth to spend the extra ~30€ on that? I've done some research and most people seem to be of the opinion, that it's not really worth it just for gaming.

    Also, would the motherboard I choose support the 960 Evo? I am not sure if i understood how to check if a motherboard is NVMe compatible. =/


    Thank you very much for spending your time on this post, I hope someone will be able to help me out here. :) Have a nice day.

    submitted by /u/BlightningReddit
    [link] [comments]

    Can i clone my windows from a kingston SH103S3 250GB to a Samsung 960 N.2 500GB?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:03 PM PDT

    Just purchased a 960 N.2 and i want to transfer my windows to it. I installed all the drivers, just need to format and clone. I'm just afraid of it being a N.2.

    submitted by /u/DragoonPT
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel