• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, April 17, 2018

    Simple Questions - April 17, 2018

    Simple Questions - April 17, 2018


    Simple Questions - April 17, 2018

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 05:13 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Ants in keyboard (Update)

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 04:56 AM PDT

    Okay so after all of the help from last night i took apart the keyboard, shook out as many ants as I could but i could not get them all out and i dont want to freeze my keyboard because i dont know about you but getting a bunch of ants where my food is just grosses me out, so im just going to get an ant trap and some gel or something after school so i can get them out, and hopefuly kill them and their queen.

    (For the record i keep my keyboard clean and regularly clean it every 3 weeks or so, all i did was leave a cup of iced tea next to it and then boom ants in ma keyboard)

    Edit: Okay so the ants have left the keyboard as of now and im assuming they lost intrest in the spot and i am now going to get the ant traps

    submitted by /u/HurpaD3ep
    [link] [comments]

    Ants in keyboard. (Please help)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 06:23 PM PDT

    Im not sure where to post this so if this isnt the right place im sorry, and also sorry for the format (im on moble).

    So, last night i accidentally left a little bit of iced tea out and there were a lot of ants (sugar ants im assuming) but not to many. This afternoon i was using my computer and noticed a couple of ants but then i noticed they were in my actual keyboard and i have no clue how to get them out.

    (There was a fucking ant in one of the screw holes and it scared the shit out of me)

    (Edit) They are walking under the keys and some go through the bottom of the keycaps where i cannot see them

    submitted by /u/HurpaD3ep
    [link] [comments]

    I want to upgrade to a better graphic card!

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 02:13 PM PDT

    I want to upgrade my GTX 750 to a GTX 1060. I have searched on google and the motherboard which is an ASUS H81M-K does support the gtx 1060 and I have a power supply of 500 W which is good enough for the 1060 in theory.

    The problem is that I have a prebuilt pc from a couple of years or even more... and I have heard that some prebuilt computers are built in a way in which they are difficult to be upgraded. This is an image of the inside of my pc just in case you want to see it: https://i.imgur.com/ApVGrHH.jpg (btw I know it's super dusty and dirty but I'll clean it once I get the new graphic card lol)

    So I've seen a couple of videos and it is only removing the graphic card and plugging in the new one, right?

    If something else is needed just tell me and I'll try to reply asap. Thanks in advance <3

    submitted by /u/AetherRikku
    [link] [comments]

    I built my first PC last night! Also also didn't realize Standoffs were a thing, what do I do?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 07:53 AM PDT

    I put a ASUS B350F Motherboard into a thermaltake 31 mid tower. Everything is running fine, it boots, and works no issue.

    However, I didn't use standoffs, because I'm new/an idiot. Should I go back in and do it? Or just leave it at this point.

    submitted by /u/edm_ostrich
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen Rig (First Build)

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:27 PM PDT

    A solid build that's just fine for my needs.

    Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/26KBD3

    Pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/nwlV7

    submitted by /u/Scrubbly323
    [link] [comments]

    Any glaring oversights for this ryzen 5 2600 build before I buy?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:03 PM PDT

    This is an upgrade, I already have storage drives, peripherals etc., only the parts listed are the ones I need, plus the CPU of course. I mostly plan on gaming, as well as occasionally streaming, recording video etc., and figured the 25 dollars over the ryzen 5 1600 and i5 8400 was probably worth the performance upgrade.

    I don't plan on overclocking (at least for the time being) which is why I didn't include a seperate cpu cooler (and also opted for a fairly cheap mobo), I might pick one up in the future if I do plan on overclocking but I've heard good things about the wraith cooler that comes in the box. I also have a hyper 212 plus but it's the older model before the evo and isn't compatible with the newer socket mobos from what I've seen.

    Without downgrading the mobo even more, is there anywhere else I could be saving money? The RAM seemed like a pretty good option for the price, and the 750W psu is currently cheaper than both the 550W and 650W of the same model (plus has a 10 year warranty vs 7 years) so that's the only reason I opted for that.

    I'm aware there are cheaper 1060 6GB's on the market, so I'm open to suggestions there, I'd prefer a 2+ fan model over the mini's though which is why I'm considering the gigabyte one currently.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Type Item Price
    Motherboard MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard $111.00 @ Amazon Canada
    Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $209.99 @ Newegg Canada
    Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card $439.99 @ Newegg Canada
    Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $124.99 @ Newegg Canada
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $885.97
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-17 17:55 EDT-0400
    submitted by /u/DethSlayr
    [link] [comments]

    GPU not performing as it should?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 02:57 PM PDT

    After trying out Far Cry 5 today I have noticed that my fps is much worse than what I have seen on youtube, people can run the game on max settings and not go below 60 fps but I have to play the game at medium settings and still get around 50-55 avg. I believe that my system should be able to perform much better.

    Does anyone know what could be wrong?

    Also note that the gpu was bought new and could have some custom settings(Its my first pc so I dont really have much experience when it comes to these things.

    Specs: i7 8700 Gtx980 8GBx1 Dddr4 RAM Evga 450BT psu

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/MatasR6
    [link] [comments]

    Best 140mm intake fans?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 04:18 PM PDT

    I have a meshify C. Trying to find some good 140mm fans to mount to the front. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

    submitted by /u/Embyyy
    [link] [comments]

    Optane 900 vs 960Pro nVME

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:15 PM PDT

    I have a machine here with 2 x 960 Pro nVME's - 1TB and 512gb, and it also has 2 x Optane 900 480gb drives in it. It's an i9-7980XE on a... Asrock X299 Taichi board.

    Crystalmark gets similar results on the nVME and the Optanes, and copying files between the NVME's and the Optane's goes at a similar speed of around 1.5 gigabytes a second.

    We were hoping to increase the I/O on this machine with the optanes... Are they kind of the same speed as the NVME's or do I need some kind of drivers or something?

    Also side question, this 7980XE seems really fast, but the clock speed is 2.6ghz.. Does that mean that a less expensive processor with less cores but a higher clock speed of say 3.3ghz or whatever would perform better in an application not written for multi-threading?

    submitted by /u/parasocks
    [link] [comments]

    I think my gpu is bottlenecking my cpu.. Any help?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:10 PM PDT

    I have an AMD-A12 9800, and a 1050. Any help so I don't have to waste 100 bucks?

    submitted by /u/jjfields1234
    [link] [comments]

    What will happen if I plug a case fan in Aio pump slot?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:54 PM PDT

    My motherboard has 2 case fan slot, 1 cpu fan slot and 1 AIO pump slot, my problem is having 4 case fans along with a cpu fan, currently i have plugged 2 case fans in the mobo and the cpu fan as well but have two fans left over. I connected them in the PSU but their speed is slower then the case fans plugged in the mobo. I wanted to ask if its okay, if I plug one of the two fans in the AIO pump slot?

    submitted by /u/ABZC0
    [link] [comments]

    Is 144hz worth it if I'm not a competitive gamer?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:42 PM PDT

    I have been playing on the same 1080p 60hz monitor for the past 10 years, and I wonder if it's really worth upgrading monitors if I'm not a pro gamer? Everyone always talks about that is a must if you take games like CS:GO seriously, but almost nothing if you play other types of games.

    I do play some fast-paced multiplayer games like PUBG, SW Battlefront 2, but since I have never seen 144hz for myself I have no idea if it is worth spending lots pf money just to get a higher refresh rate. I was going to get the Asus PG258q since it seems to be one of the best TN panels, but another factor is colors. The monitor I currently use has fantastic colors, which is an old LCD display, so I don't know if I would be upgrading or downgrading in that regard. (I won't be getting an IPS since there are no 1080p IPS panels available)

    submitted by /u/Slayzee
    [link] [comments]

    What if I.. threw a Nvidia 1080 into my Seven-year-old PC

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:34 PM PDT

    So What would happen if I throw a 1080 Graphics card into this old beast?

    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME Memory: 16GB DDR3 66.7 MHz Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 

    I'm not a big gamer, but I want to really test out my 4K monitor out. I play the occasional Overwatch and will be returning to Azeroth when BoA comes out. Would a 4K Witcher work on this? I'm curious if I can get by with my current rig and a 1080 GPU until the price of cards returns to something normal.

    submitted by /u/pdiggs1500
    [link] [comments]

    USB Ports on startup don't turn on immediately

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:33 PM PDT

    History:

    • I just wiped my hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 10
    • I also just installed a new GTX 1060
    • My mother board is a ASRock x79 Extreme6

    The problem: when I turn my computer on, my USB ports seem to not be working. After a couple minutes, they turn on and my mouse and keyboard begin to work just fine. After that, never any issues. Restarting my computer also seems fine, only when the computer is coming from a cold start (some long duration of time between shutdown and startup) does it do this.

    Any thoughts? Am I missing some drivers? As far as I can tell I have installed everything I need. I have installed everything under "downloads" from this link:

    http://asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6/index.asp#Download

    The only thing I haven't done is mess with my BIOS nor download the BIOS update from that same link.

    Any thoughts? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/rmwalshy
    [link] [comments]

    What motherboard to get?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:07 PM PDT

    So I'm looking to upgrade my PC Specs: i3 4150 Z97 Anniversary 14GB DDR3 RAM (1x8, 1x4, 1x2) GTX 1050 Ti 256GB SSD 500GB HDD NZXT S340 Some dell stock cooler

    I'd like to upgrade, was thinking: Ryzen 7 1800X 16GB Trident Z RGB NZXT Kraken x62

    But I'm not sure what motherboard to get to go along with this, advice?

    submitted by /u/Erys_t
    [link] [comments]

    Next gen AMD CPU compatibility.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:30 AM PDT

    So seeing as buying a next gen AMD CPU seems to be a better choice then others, the first thought that raises questions for me was the compatibility with motherboards. Obviously the X470 is compatible, but seeing me and some other lads rather spend around 100 for a mobo, raises some questions about older models. I was thinking about still getting a B350, but will they BIOS updated and where can you see such? I can't see on MSI's website which are and which aren't updated. I do not have a PC atm, so installing the new BIOS myself is going to be a problem.

    Can anyone shine some light on my situation?

    submitted by /u/Stereomicroscoop
    [link] [comments]

    Help me find a cheap temporary GPU

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 04:21 PM PDT

    I'm building my first computer and I need a gpu to throw in there until I find a 980 ti that is both in stock and close to MSRP. Any recommendations. If possible, I would like to be able to run Blender on it.

    submitted by /u/UnofficialTigana
    [link] [comments]

    Need help buying a new PC!

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:59 PM PDT

    I'd build, but I've noticed building something close to what I want would be more pricey than just buying a prebuilt.

    I'm looking to use this build to run WoW at max settings 60FPS min and stream possibly. Maybe player other games at mid to max settings.

    I've been looking at 2-3 PC's from micro center.

    1st: http://www.microcenter.com/product/502209/G701_Desktop_Computer

    2nd: http://www.microcenter.com/product/488810/G429_Desktop_Computer

    3rd: http://www.microcenter.com/product/497082/G351_Desktop_Computer

    My question is will I be able to upgrade the CPU later if I want more power on the $1199 option?

    Thank you all for any helpful advice!

    submitted by /u/cbegs88
    [link] [comments]

    How can I tell if a motherboard supports PCIe M.2 as opposed to SATA M.2?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 04:10 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a motherboard that supports an M.2 slot for a 960 EVO, and I wanted to have it use its full potential.

    However, I found out that there's SATA M.2 slots (which use the SATA lanes and isn't faster than SATA itself), and then there's PCIe M.2 (which is the faster one and the one I'm looking for).

    From what it seems, there's no way for me to tell. I'm just worried that I'll get a motherboard with an M.2 slot, and it turns out it's SATA M.2 instead of PCIe.

    submitted by /u/thrwawypcie1010
    [link] [comments]

    How do I know if there is a conflict of airflow between fans?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:58 PM PDT

    I have 24-26°Celcius on boot up and around 50-65 for games like Battlefield 1, Fortnite, and closer to 50 for csgo, etc. Are these normal? I have two fans facing one another but I'm pretty sure they are spinning in opposite directions (one is exhaust and one is above my CPU).

    So would it be safe to assume there is not conflict of airflow and no fight between the two fans.

    Edit: And 30 - 33°C with things like Spotify open

    submitted by /u/swagmonster55
    [link] [comments]

    First timer needs advice/recommendation on a pc build

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:53 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    To make it short. I've watched a few Youtube videos on how to assemble all of the parts for a pc. Basically, I need a custom pc for my needs. I do 3D modeling/rendering.

    My budget would be anywhere from $800-$1200. Just depends what type of deals I can find. I was looking at the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and the GTX GeForce 1060 6gb video card. I know about pcparkpicker.com but would like some feedback as to what cpu, gpus, etc are good/recommended for my needs.

    If someone already built a pc for 3D I'd like to hear what parts you have. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/miineer
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a USB-C 3.1 PCIe card with an internal USB-C connection

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:53 PM PDT

    I needed to get a new case for my PC a few months ago (it's a white In Win 101c). The rest of my PC is doing just fine and A year or so ago I had bought a StarTech USB-C 1.3 PCIe card and it works great! The only thing is that I now have an external USB-C port and no way to use it. As far as I can Google. I can't find a PCIe card that adds an internal USB-C type-blah-blah-blah that would allow be to plug in that external case port.

    Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Takeabyte
    [link] [comments]

    Finally built my pc! What do I do now and what's the best way to test the hardware?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 03:51 PM PDT

    I just finished installing Windows and all it's updates (took like 10 minutes with an nvme drive!!!) on my first build.

    What's my next step? Should I bother with the cd that came with my motherboard? (not a fan of bloatware).

    What software do you recommend to test my RAM with? I'm using an XMP profile and so far it seems to be working well, but I still want to see how much further I can push it (my 2200G really benefits from overclocked RAM).

    Thanks in advance! This sub really helped me a lot in the last couple of weeks.

    submitted by /u/spoonybends
    [link] [comments]

    Home/Office Build *No Gaming*

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:22 PM PDT

    Build Help:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Maybe...

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Excel / Data Analysis / Programming / YouTube / Streaming / Movies

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    No gaming.

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    $600

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    United States of America.

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Type Item Price
    CPU Intel - Core i3-8350K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor $164.69 @ OutletPC
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Newegg
    Motherboard ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $121.88 @ OutletPC
    Memory Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $80.89 @ OutletPC
    Storage SanDisk - SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $58.27 @ OutletPC
    Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.18 @ OutletPC
    Case NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $54.99 @ Newegg
    Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $88.89 @ OutletPC
    Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.89 @ OutletPC
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $788.67
    Mail-in rebates -$60.00
    Total $728.67
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-17 15:57 EDT-0400

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    Hi! I am looking to build my first PC that runs all operations smoothly with no intent of gaming. I gave it a run of what I think I need for my computer and it is over my budget. Wondering where I can cut some costs and still get the performance I need. Looking through some other posts I may be well over the cost for a standard office computer but I would like it to run almost effortlessly, if possible with the constraints. I saw some suggestions of laptops as well and though it is a possibility, I would prefer a desktop. Thanks!

    NOTE: You do not have to follow this format, but please be sure to answer these questions. Please do not ask to simply be given a build. You are welcome to delete this section.

    submitted by /u/LghtBlb
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel