• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, April 17, 2018

    Laptops Gigabyte Aero 15X - Data collection Details

    Laptops Gigabyte Aero 15X - Data collection Details


    Gigabyte Aero 15X - Data collection Details

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 09:02 AM PDT

    I just received my Aero 15X in the post and I love it. However, there is indeed a pop up from Gigabyte on first boot asking whether it can do the following:

    G-Style uses technologies which collect, process and sort certain types of non-personal information on how you and others use our notebooks. The information collected may include CPU model, OS version, MAC address, memory and GPU configuration. This information is used to help us understand how well our products perform over time, to detect issues and to identify potential product improvements. By clicking "Agree"; below, you consent to G-Style's collection of this information.

    I just reversed the binary which was giving the prompt, glicense.exe - made in .NET. Turns out that you can just hit exit and it won't agree to data collection, however it will add a RunOnce entry, which means that it will bother you every time you boot up if you keep closing it.

    To fix this you can check the "I agree" checkbox, two buttons will then appear, hit "Cancel", this will disable data collection and it won't add a RunOnce entry, which means it won't pester you ever again.

    The registry value which determines whether it is collecting your data or not is "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GIGABYTE\DataCollect", so if you have already accepted the data collection then you can easily go in and edit this value in regedit, setting it to "false" to disable the collection.

    Proof: https://imgur.com/a/zVT5X

    Hopefully this puts anyone's mind at ease who was concerned about this.

    TL;DR: Check "I agree", then click "Cancel" to disable collection and never be bothered again.

    submitted by /u/zynamics
    [link] [comments]

    MSI GS65 or Areo 15X?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 12:36 PM PDT

    MSI GS65 or Aero 15X?

    I'm looking at the top end models. I can always take two Samsung Pro 960's and add another 16GB of ram to make the Aero like the MSI GS65-068.

    So then whats the better computer? Both would have nearly the same specs at this point.

    Thanks for the help!

    PS: I wish there was a physical store I could put my hands on these models.

    submitted by /u/kevin-niekerk
    [link] [comments]

    XPS 15 9560 vs 9570

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 06:21 AM PDT

    I was planning buying a refurbished 9560 with an I7/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/1050 for about $1150 on the dell outlet (refurbished + coupon); however, with the 9570, I am considering waiting.

    What do you all think? I'm not sure if the premium on a new XPS, is worth it as I'm wondering how an 8th i5 would compare to a 7th gen i7 model (alongside actual real world gains). Could feasibly add a 4K screen for the same price as switching to a 9570.

    Update: I purchased the 9560 1080P with 512GB SSD/16GB RAM/97W battery for $1,051 (before tax)

    Usage: Light gaming, light design work, general computing.

    Why that model? The 4K screen is amazing (I had an XPS13), but the glare is pretty bad and the model would cost roughly $300 more. I will also have to downscale for games and the 1080P display already looks great and allows for a longer battery life.

    Why not the 9570? I really like the 9570 model, but I want a computer now, the i5 version will be more expensive with marginal real world gains over the i7 alongside less ram. Even with a 1050ti vs a 1050, I will not need the full force of the GPU.

    submitted by /u/Avatail
    [link] [comments]

    How's the quality of the current alienware laptops?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 12:19 PM PDT

    I'm buying my first dedicated gaming laptop this summer before I head off to university and a Dell refurbished Alienware 13 seemed to tick all of the boxes.

    I have however noticed that despite the consistently positive media reviews, user reviews have varied; and since Dell's customer service is quite bad, I am having second thoughts about getting a refurbished laptop.

    Is this a valid cause for concern? Do I have a good chance of getting a laptop that will work pretty much perfectly out of the box or should I look elsewhere?

    submitted by /u/Wangmeister245
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming laptop under $500

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 12:09 PM PDT

    Hey everybody, I am looking for a gaming laptop to run fortnite nicely on for less than $500. Could anyone help me?

    submitted by /u/Samdaone
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie question about M.2 NVMe slots. Which SSDs are supported?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 07:54 AM PDT

    Huge apologies here... I have a really newbie question.

    I'm looking at a laptop that has an M.2 NVMe slot. Since it supports M.2 NVMe, will it support ALL M.2 NVMe SSDs of that specific width/length?

    With ram you need to match the speed of the slot, is there any equivalent with M.2?

    Finally, what is the main metric for determining how fast an SSD is? It's the MB/s Seq. Read/Write numbers correct?

    submitted by /u/thenewstampede
    [link] [comments]

    What is better: 256GB SSD, or 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 10:45 AM PDT

    I don't know whether I want 256GB SSD, or 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD. Here is the space I will be using up:

    • Windows: 30 GB

    • Programming: 10 GB (Eclipse + PyCharm + Visual Studio + Android Studio)

    • Work Programs: 5 GB (Office + all the files I want)

    • Games: 50 GB (variable, I'll only be downloading one or two games at a time, but let's consider this an average for modern AAA games)

    So, this adds up to almost 100 GB I want on my SSD. With the second option, with overprovisioning, I'll have hardly any space left on my SSD and everything else will have to go to my HDD.

    Also, how much more battery would a HDD would take up more battery? Battery life is pretty important to me and even a 30 min increase in battery by using an SSD over HDD would be useful. Unless I am assuming the extra battery drain does not happen when you are not using the HDD even if it is installed, right?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/IntegralCosecantXdX
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice to find a fitting laptop

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:32 PM PDT

    Hey. So I'm looking for a laptop that I can do basic student work on (word, excel, statistical programs). I'm not looking for a 2-in-1. I'm also getting into video-editing (GoPro, amateur level) but I'm not sure support for 4K is necessary. I'm looking for light-weight (portability is important), no more than 2 kg with a battery life if 7-10 hours. I'd also love to play low-end games on it (more occasionally). Screen size should be about 13"-15" (I'm told 13" too small for video-editing?). Not hugely tech savvy but I'd guess I'll need lots of memory (RAM & SSD) and a good processor (something like intel 8th gen) + a decent graphic card. My budget is around 1000€ and I wouldnt preferably go much higher; what are some good options for me? I also hate it when my laptop overheats (thermal-throttling). I've never used a Macbook before and I'd prefer a windows alternative (not an absolute must). I hope I didnt forget anything. Thanks for your help :)

    submitted by /u/sentryduty
    [link] [comments]

    Throttling problems in CS:GO on my Acer Aspire 5

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 12:47 PM PDT

    I observed that, when playing CS:GO, my Acer Aspire 5 with I5 8250U and NVIDIA GeForce MX150 randomly drops from ~150 FPS to almost freezing 2-3 FPS.

    Using MSI Afterburner, I saw that the clock speed of the CPU dropped to 400MHz, which is just horrendeus. Thermals weren't a problem, CPU holding between 60 and 75 degrees Celsius with a -0.090V undervoltage.

    What might actually be the problem?

    submitted by /u/truxishere
    [link] [comments]

    Dell XPS 15 9570 Official Prices

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 04:32 PM PDT

    Need a good laptop ��

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 08:46 AM PDT

    Hello I am a student who needs a good laptop for college. I want it to stay with me for a while (future proof) maximum budget is 1600$. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/LightVoyager
    [link] [comments]

    Best Protection Plan?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 11:24 AM PDT

    I am going to be purchasing the Acer Aspire E 15, 15.6" Full HD, 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U, GeForce MX150, 8GB RAM Memory, 256GB SSD, E5-576G-5762 here soon, and wondering what the best protection plan would be for this laptop. Amazon offers Asurion, but the reviews seem pretty negative.

    Is it worth getting a protection plan, for home/personal use? And if so, what plan would be best bang for the buck? Would like to stay under $100 for the plan.

    TIA!

    submitted by /u/DelightedWarship
    [link] [comments]

    thoughts on: ASUS Zenbook UX331UN-EG002T Laptop, Intel Core i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD, GeForce MX150, 13.3", 1.12kg, £1300? Do asus generally use decent quality components?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 07:39 AM PDT

    Does anybody know the specs of the sSD slot on the Asus ZenBook Pro UX550VE?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 07:14 AM PDT

    The laptop comes with a 512GB PCIe SSD. From what I understand it supports NVMe. Also what is the width/length of the drive?

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/thenewstampede
    [link] [comments]

    Is a HP core i5 worth the extra money over i3?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 06:27 AM PDT

    Hı, Ive found two laptops and I'm wondering if the better one is that much better that it is worth an extra $100

    Hp 250 g6 core i3 6006u HP 250 g6 core i5 7200u

    The i5 is clearly better but is it worth an extra $100. $460AUD VS $560 for the i5. Here's a comparison of the specs

    https://ark.intel.com/compare/91157,95443

    Thanks all

    submitted by /u/bazk88
    [link] [comments]

    External battery health mode tool?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 05:40 AM PDT

    So, basically, On my previous laptop(lenovo) I had this power manager tool which came preinstalled with Battery Health Mode (keeps you battery on 50-60% to expand total battery global lifespan)

    I don't see anything similar here (Acer Nitro 5). Do you guys know some external tools for that?

    submitted by /u/Ucan-not-advance
    [link] [comments]

    Advice: Lenovo Legion Y520 (Gold Edition) vs Dell Inspiron 7577

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:51 AM PDT

    Hello, I am from the Philippines and I am currently eyeing on buying the laptop with the best money to price value. My budget is at most PHP 70,000.00 - 75,000.00 (or US $1,345.12 - $1,442.09). And, I would like to seek your opinion on these two laptops: Lenovo Legion Y520 (Gold Edition) vs Dell Inspiron 7577. Note: Prices of these laptops here are higher here.

    I will be using the laptop for consuming media, productivity (documents, presentations, photo editing), internet browsing, programming, gaming, and recreational video editing. But, overall, my priority is about the value of the money other than the usage.

    Here are the specifications of the laptops:

    [Lenovo Legion Y520 - Gold Ed.] - PHP 69,995.00 or US $1,344.92

    • Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor
    • Windows 10 Home
    • 8GB DDR4 (2 x 4GB DDR4)
    • 2TB SATA HDD + 128GB PCIE SSD
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB GDDR5)
    • 15.6" Full HD IPS Anti Glare (Slim Display)
    • 2 Years Carry in Warranty
    • USB Type C (No Thunderbolt)

    [Dell Inspiron 7577] - PHP 70,000.00 or US $1,345.12

    • Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor
    • Windows 10 Home
    • 8GB DDR4 RAM
    • 1TB SATA HDD + 128GB SSD
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB GDDR5)
    • 15.6" Full HD IPS Anti-Glare
    • USB Type C with Thunderbolt

    The two are almost similar and the only differences that I got from them is that Lenovo lacks USB Type C with Thunderbolt but has a 2TB HDD. Whereas, the Dell has a USB Type C with Thunderbolt but only has a 1TB HDD. With these, I am not sure where else to put my comparison at this point so I would like to ask advice which one is better on the specs-side and most importantly the actual use and worth of the laptop.

    submitted by /u/fmasiglat
    [link] [comments]

    Dell G5 15 Official Prices

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 04:44 PM PDT

    Should I avoid playing fortnite on my old Inspiron 5220?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:38 AM PDT

    Here is a picture showing my entire specs and temperatures recorded.

    After one hour of playing fortnite my temperatures go upto 70 degrees Celsius. I also use a cooling pad.

    Should I stop playing fortnite and play lighter games or will my laptop be just fine?

    submitted by /u/Gamer7Infinity
    [link] [comments]

    Business laptop with quick shipping to Australia

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 01:12 AM PDT

    This is a bit of a tough one.

    I'm a contractor who does occasional work with non-company devices. My Macbook just shit the bed and I'm flying out to Singapore in 10 days.

    I'd prefer something smaller this time, the 15" has been a bit of a pain to carry around on flights etc. Does anyone know what my best option is for a replacement?

    I know Apple and Microsoft both deliver in 1-3 working days, but they're both ungodly expensive. The shittiest devices are like $1.5k with probably $500 of attachments, which is fucking ludicrous. I could get away with $1.1k for a Surface Pro, but I'm not sure how much of a piece of shit the gen 7 m3 processor is, would it even run heavy webpages smoothly?

    What other options do I have? A Dell Inspiron maybe? They're all up around $1k as well though, except the 11", which is on sale for $500.

    I've never really used any of these low spec, smaller machines before so if anyone has any experience with them I'd love to hear about it.

    submitted by /u/gandalfintraining
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any other big gaming laptops expected to come out soon or by the end of summer?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 12:13 AM PDT

    So i think the 3 biggest gaming laptops to come out currently are the msi gs65, aero, and the xps 15 (not considered a gaming laptop i know). Is there any thing else to be expected at this point in time or are these 3 be the best options if im looking for a gaming laptop around summer time?

    submitted by /u/zoom94
    [link] [comments]

    6th vs 8th Gen for gaming

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 09:37 PM PDT

    Hi there, I have an Alienware 15 R3, 6700hq and gtx 1070 and was wondering if upgrading to a hexacore would be beneficial in terms of gaming performance. I want to upgrade but 11xx gpu on their way so any thoughts would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/captsponzbpf
    [link] [comments]

    1440p gaming laptop?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 04:43 PM PDT

    Hey /r/laptops!

    I'm a desktop-owner who does game development (including VR, which is somewhat demanding). My desktop PC has two monitors (one 1200p, one 1440p) a 7700k (or something) processor, and a 6gb 1060 GTX. I'd like to get a laptop with similar specs, so that I can develop on the go, and bring my VR games to expos, demos etc.

    My two issues: On a budget. $1000 would be ideal, but I could spend probably up to $1400.

    the other one: most of these gaming laptops that I'm seeing seem to be either 1080p (which, I could not imagine buying in 2018... I had a 1080p monitor like 15 years ago) or 3840 x 2160, which I think might be overkill (things will be small, higher power strain/drain?) and these tend to be significantly more expensive. I'd really like to find something 1440p.

    so what I'm looking for, in summary:

    quality, 1440p screen

    GTX 1060 or similar

    good processor

    $1000-1400 USD

    things not particularly of concern:

    size/weight

    how fancy it looks

    I'm buying in the US. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ahintoflime
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel