• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, April 20, 2018

    HTC I wish I knew this before buying the HTC U Ultra (Owner review)

    HTC I wish I knew this before buying the HTC U Ultra (Owner review)


    I wish I knew this before buying the HTC U Ultra (Owner review)

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 01:33 PM PDT

    Kind reminder: If you feel you are an HTC combatant, please click the Back button and save yourself, and probably myself, from getting aggravated.

    This review was prompted because I feel like swimming in a sea of superficial "reviews" online, which are mostly advertisements rather than real reviews, and a lot of peculiarities are unearthed only after the device is used for a sufficiently lengthy period of time.

    The HTC U Ultra, in my humble opinion, is a double-edged sword (one of the edges is pointed towards the owner, sadly).

    The screen is spacious at 5.7" and even though the phone is very large it can be managed in one hand, if you make a concerted effort. The overall size is exacerbated by the 2nd screen on top, which is reasonably useful, i.e. not utterly pointless.

    The screen is a very good IPS-variety screen, with moderate brightness (visible enough in bright daylight). Note that the Oreo update, I believe, did considerably increase the maximum brightness, which could be very useful when the need comes, but absolutely not recommended for long-term use because of the borderline insufficient battery capacity. At least, the option to blast out the brightness in a pinch is there.

    Performance is overall very good to great, games play well, day-to-day internetting, newsfeeding, facebooking, vibering (or whatever messaging app floats your boat) is great, and so is the multitasking.

    The sound from the bundled headphones is outstanding (in combination with the proprietary HTC USonic EQ shenanigans), provided you like deep sub-bass and high brilliance without muffling the vocals (as I do). The sound is definitely V-shaped. The downsides of the headphones are that (a) they don't have volume buttons, which, given the size of the phone and the inherent difficulty related to getting it out of the pocket to increase or decrease the volume, is moderately frustrating, (b) they are of the USB-C variety, which means you can't simply plug them into most other phones or HiFi devices, and means that (c) you can't charge your phone and use the headphones simultaneously, which, however, I wouldn't do, since I would like the battery to have as longer life as possible, given the difficulty of replacing it (1 – the phone is a glass sandwich which means I can't just pull the battery out and slap a new one in; 2 – HTC service centers, at least where I live, are few and far between, and 3 – the availability of spare batteries and the costs related to replacing the battery leave a lot to be desired). A negative too is that there is no USB-C to mini-jack adapter in the box, which means you have to buy one, which is easier said than done - a lot of those being sold do not work with the HTC U Ultra (unless you use apps such as Sound About or tinker with the OS) and the original HTC adapter is very hard to buy anyway, most places listing it as out-of-stock. Let's not forget that routinely plugging cables into the USB-C connector on the phone (one for charging, another for USB-C headphones) will surely shorten the already-not-that-great durability of the said USB-C connector on the phone (and again the glass sandwich which makes it hard to replace said USB-C connector comes to mind). Also, e.g. here in Bulgaria, people are not buying phones every year and the probability of me being at a place where someone could lend me their USB-C charger to top up my battery midday or mid-party are close to nil, so I have to carry my USB-C cable too.

    The battery is not for power users. At 3000 mAh it is not well-suited to the power requirements of that huge and very high resolution screen (2560x1440 + 160x1040, that's a lot of pixels). Overall, I get 3.5\4.5 hours of screen-on time from a full charge over one day, with some gaming and camera use. If you don't use the stock camera (the phone automatically maxes out the screen brightness in the stock camera app, and you cannot turn it down, very dumb idea), don't play games, and use the phone only on WiFi and not on 3G/4G, probably 5 to maximum 6 hours of screen-on time would be possible.

    The digitizer of the phone uses snap-to-grid which cannot be switched off which is in effect when the finger is moving slowly. I tried very very hard to figure out the purpose of this seemingly dumb idea, and couldn't find any sensible reasons for it, and also could not find any other phone with that function. I wonder why... The result is that some games, which require very precise finger movement, are much harder to play on the HTC U Ultra than on any other phone I have tried (granted I have not tried any other HTC phone).

    The body of the phone is pointless, a.k.a. pretty. (To me it's not even that pretty, apart from the logo-less fully black front glass, which I adore. But I digress.) That possibly resulted in the less-than-needed battery capacity and the fact that the phone seems extremely fragile. There is no wireless charging (which I personally don't need) as an excuse for the glass back. HTC couldn't even manage to make the sandwich seamless, you can definitely feel ridges where the glass meets the metal, and this even makes the phone uncomfortable to hold for prolonged periods of time. The saving grace (ironic as it may be) is that the hard-plastic case provided in the box makes the phone much more comfortable to hold and much less slippery, whilst also possibly protecting the glass back from shattering when dinged. This hard-plastic case almost entirely defeats any and all prettiness goals there may have been, so why not just make it out of that material, at that increased thickness, and then you could even cram in that much-needed larger battery… Oh, right, every other maker's phones are made of glass too; prettiness above utility (certainly not my thing).

    The second screen has some useful perks, such as having a "widget" of most used contacts or most used apps (then why have a dock too, hmm…), you can pick up the phone and the second screen will activate so you can glance at the time, battery charge, etc., you can activate the flashlight or control your music app from it. Also, and something that I particularly like, incoming notifications pop up on it, which means they don't pop up over what you are currently doing. Yay!

    There are problems with the fingerprint scanner (On Nougat, at least, have not used it since the Oreo update). Sometimes it just refuses to do any scanning but still activates the screen when touched. You are then required to enter your PIN to unlock the phone and then the scanner would work again as if nothing ever happened.

    The vibration motor does not vibrate, it buzzes instead. I'm not attempting a pun or a joke, it is indeed a buzz. This feels super cheap, even compared to my 5 year old LG Optimus G Pro (great haptic feedback!). I thought it was a fault of my unit initially. Then I spoke to other owners of Ultras. Thankfully, I got used to it. That does not mean I don't dislike it anymore.

    The screen is not calibrated to sRGB standard but something much wider in terms of color gamut (allegedly DCI-P3, I don't have instruments to test, or maybe and most probably they just wanted it to be "like Samsung"…). This cannot be corrected anywhere in the OS (you can correct the white point, though, which is good). If you like eye-popping colors you're in luck, and conversely, if you like more natural colors – you're certainly out of luck. The reds, especially, are rather eye-watering. On the other hand, the screen has very high clarity with no appreciable over-sharpening, rather high brightness (after Oreo update), low minimum brightness thus can easily be used in pitch black environments, and very little color inversion when viewed at angles (e.g. when showing your friends your awesome photos and videos). Of course, as any IPS screen, it is the brightness which rapidly drops when the phone is tilted, but the picture does not become yellowish or purplish, or grey instead of black. Which is very good.

    The sound from the rather inaptly named BoomSound speakers is anything but Boom. The Xiaomi Redmi 4X (~ EUR 100) or the Huawei P8 Lite (2015) easily trounce it in terms of sound quality (especially bass). The sound is also rather imbalanced, most of it coming from the bottom firing speaker (which is also very easy to inadvertently cover and mute whilst holding the phone horizontally). At least it is rather loud, can create a sense of spaciousness when held horizontally and overall it is not "bad" like on many other phones I've heard. What is not good at all, however, is that it has an undefeatable volume ramp-up curve, which means that any sound is produced with the volume being gradually increased in the beginning, omitting the initial attack. For songs, such as for example Brain Stew by Green Day, this could be rather hilarious (or to me, rather aggravating). Unsurprisingly then, there is no attack from most notification sounds. So, the good thing is the phone's notifications could never startle you which means you won't get a heart-attack if you forgot to reduce your notification volume. Yay… I guess…? Nah, this is just plain dumb and awful.

    I wish HTC engineers knew what "centering" means. Then the capacitive buttons wouldn't have been in the places where I least expect them to be during my day-to-day use of the phone. They are not in the middle of the chin centrally, they are not in the middle of the chin vertically, they are just simply not in the middle of anything. I thought I'd easily get used to that. I was wrong. Their sensitivity zones are also barely extending beyond their graphical symbols. Thus, I have to depress them with my entire thumbs to make sure I'll catch them. Sneaky bastards. Even turning on the constant backlighting of the buttons does not help as much as I thought it would.

    The capacitive scanner/homebutton is also a double-edged sword – easy to use when you want to, but also very easy to accidentally touch and activate when you don't want to – especially during heated gaming this stinks a lot.

    The camera may not be obliterating any DxOMarks any time soon, but to me it is really really good. For one, the wide aperture, combined with the OIS, means you get good night and indoor shots, which I sorely desire. It is fast to snap a picture, it can be activated with a double-click of the power button, it shoots great and reasonably stable 4K video, and even more stable FullHD video if you can sacrifice the clarity of 4K. Great sound recording too! (for the videos) Overall, the camera experience feels "flagship". Also, given that the phone is with a Snapdragon 821, Google's ported cameras work pretty well (mind you, there are bugs, sometimes the apps just close, sometimes they don't produce the intended results, if any at all). When using Google's ported camera apps the HDR photography results are quite phenomenal (at least to me) and even a lot better than the stock camera app (which is very good to start with) especially for high-contrast and nighttime/indoor shots. Also, portraits come out pretty stunning (provided the app doesn't crash, of course, but that's not a fault of the phone).

    A caveat is that both the front and back cameras of the phone are very prone to flares. It certainly looks like the image is being reflected by something inside (the lenses or the sensor assembly, I have no idea which exactly) and then this reflection gets picked up by the sensor. For instance, at night when shooting shops' neon signs, I can easily see the vertically flipped ghost flares of those signs. I, personally, am not overly bothered and find those flares more interesting than troublesome, though. Some surely might not.

    All in all, it is the high-quality spacious screen (side note: a 5,8" 18.5:9 screen has ~5 cm2 smaller area than a 16:9 5.7" screen, not counting the 2nd screen on the Ultra too), the awesome headphone sound, the great camera quality and experience that make this phone worth the EUR 275, provided you can live with its shortcomings, which are quite a few in my view. You'd be really hard pressed (I'm pretty sure it is impossible but maybe the ZTE Axon 7 could do the trick) to find such a screen, such sound or especially such a camera on any other phone retailing for ~ EUR 300 brand new. At its original price I'd never buy it, though.

    But, if you want off-the-charger longevity, a screen with realistic colors, really good speaker sound, durable body and good ergonomics, this is certainly not your phone, even at its current price.

    To me it is quite the bipolar experience – sometimes it overjoys me with its sound or camera chops, sometimes it makes me want to smash it against the wall for its absurdly stupid quirks (Which I believe someone thought were "good design ideas". No, they are not good at all.)

    So it is quite the paradoxical one – it can be both extremely good value and extremely bad value, depending on what you want. Hopefully my personal observations can help you make your own well-informed choice.

    Love it or hate it. I don't see any middle ground.

    submitted by /u/tatkovladko
    [link] [comments]

    HTC10 Oreo, Set different vibration patterns

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 05:51 AM PDT

    While I'm at work I put my phone on vibrate. Before I upgraded to Android 8 my text messages would have one long vibration and emails would have two short vibrations. Now everything rings two short vibrations and it's driving me crazy. Does anyone know a way to set this back to how it was? I've dug through the notification menus but cannot seem to find a way to set different vibration patterns.

    Please halp

    submitted by /u/Not_Another_Name
    [link] [comments]

    HTC’s new Desire 12 phones have humdrum specs but splashy color

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 05:18 AM PDT

    HTC u11 cable 56k ohm

    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 07:22 AM PDT

    Did anyone know official cable come with phone got 56k ohm resistor support? I wanna use it to charge my switch but I scare making it brick....

    submitted by /u/AntiRoo98
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel