• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, April 18, 2018

    Home Networking Isolating Hikivision Cameras on Networking

    Home Networking Isolating Hikivision Cameras on Networking


    Isolating Hikivision Cameras on Networking

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 10:12 AM PDT

    I am in the process of setting up my home network. I have a PFSense router. I have 8 Hikivision cameras on the way that will be installed.

    I have been reading online that these have backdoors that could allow someone access to my network, I would like to isolate these on my network, or put on a completely seperate network, but still want to be able to view them from my main network and from smartphones when I am not home.

    I plan on using BlueIris software, I was thinking I could install two network cards on the PC that I install BlueIris on. That PC would be connected to both networks.

    Would this be the best way to go?

    submitted by /u/brainfr33z3
    [link] [comments]

    How to reach home wifi into far spots?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 08:01 PM PDT

    Hi everyone. I currently have spectrum home wifi modem however we need our wifi to reach the downtairs level in our parking garage for a security camera that requires wifi. Do I just try and buy an extender or try to connect a router that will help reach signal? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/lakingsgrl
    [link] [comments]

    Setting Up wireless Bridge

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 07:57 PM PDT

    I have an Airport Extreme 802.11n(5th Generation) and an Asus RT-AC1200G, I was hoping to make the Asus connect to the Internet and have the Apple setup to extendthe wi-fi network so devices can easily swap between them, i feel like something needs to be set on the Asus as the Airport keeps giving an Extended Network error

    submitted by /u/cole2buhler
    [link] [comments]

    TP-Link EAP245 issue

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 06:30 PM PDT

    I recently purchased a TP-Link EAP245 access point. It works great most of the time. I get better signal and speeds than my Unifi AC Lite. But I'm facing one issue that is starting to drive me crazy. The wifi will remain connected, but I'll periodically lose internet access. If I disconnect wifi and reconnect right away it will go back to working fine. I'm having a hard time pinpointing the issue. It happens on several different devices...Chromebook Pro, Galaxy S9, iPhone 8, Roku, etc. But it always fixed itself as soon as you reconnect wifi.

    I have a pfsense router than seems rock solid. As a test once when I lost wifi, I tried accessing my Plex server over cellular and it was fine whole my device was showing no internet.

    submitted by /u/joshmsr
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading Cat5 wall cables to Cat6

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 07:31 PM PDT

    I live in an apartment, and my roomates and I pay for a Gigabit download speeds. We were only getting up to 100 Mbps download speeds, so we took a look at the wiring in our apartment and all the cables running through the wall are Cat5 which only support up to 100 Mbps instead of the Gigabit internet we're paying for.

    We want to upgrade these to Cat6 so we can get higher speeds. Should we reach out to our apartment complex or ISP to arrange this? How expensive is this normally as well? (We have 8 ethernet ports across the apartment with Cat5 cables running to them) I read that we could tie a new cable to the end of the old one and pull it through to the other side by tugging on the other end of the old one, which would allow us to replace the cables without tearing out the wall. Is this feasible, and is it recommendable for us to do this ourselves to save money?

    submitted by /u/EchoReaper
    [link] [comments]

    CANNOT FORWARD PORTS NO MATTER WHAT - PLEASE HELP

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 04:43 PM PDT

    This has been an ongoing thing for about a year. I have forwarded port 22 and 7777 for both my FTP and video game servers. I forwarded these to their respective IPV4 address within the router settings as 192.168.x.x. I then forwarded the ports in my XFINITY modem for the IP address of my router 10.0.x.x I have tested with putting these devices in the DMZ, shutting off my firewall, and disabling NAT however NONE of this works. I am still unable to connect to any of my servers. I have looked at every single bit of advice that is out there and I'm honestly at a total loss right now, absolutely NOTHING WILL WORK. I have been on and off trying to solve this shit for a year or so but cannot seem to get it. I also called my ISP to make sure nothing is blocked on their end even though I can view the modem ports. Any help is greatly appreciated! The way things are looking now is that I will never host a server like I used to years ago when it was for some reason a piece of cake

    (Router: Asus RT-AC3200) (Not sure of the Modem model but it is a trash XFinity modem)

    submitted by /u/AkosaPrinting
    [link] [comments]

    Weird issue with Ubiqiti UAC-AP-PRO

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 12:40 PM PDT

    Last week I asked a question about the best setup for my home network. I got some good advice and bought a UAC-AP-PRO, which I installed yesterday.

    I have 1GB fiber, connected to a Technicolor router+switch+AP. Last week, using my ipad and the router's built-in access point (5GHz), I was able to get almost 600mbps using the speed test app. Unfortunately the signal sucked in parts of the house, which led me to this sub and the Unifi AP.

    Last night I plugged the Unifi into the switch using the included PoE injector and the Unifi control panel shows a 1GBPS uplink, as expected. I then moved all of my devices to the new access point (note: the ISP router's wifi is still enabled but nothing is connected). Now I can only get about 80 mbps or so out of speed test. The Unifi control panel shows that the ipad is definitely connected to the 5GHZ radio.

    Any thoughts on what could be causing this? The router is right next to the Unifi so I'm going to disable its built-in wifi and see if that makes a difference but I was under the impression that it shouldn't matter for 5GHz bands. (or am I wrong about that?)

    Any thoughts on this issue? Things to try? General advice? Thanks!

    EDIT: to clarify, I mean I got the AP-AC-PRO.

    EDIT 2: I just got home and checked some things. My MBP and ipad are both using AC 5GHZ and everything else is 2.4/NG. I ran the speed test on my mac book (-48dbm signal) and got around 400 mbps but still only 80 or so from my ipad (-44 dbm signal). I still don't know how I managed to get 500+ last week.

    I am running the latest firmware (3.9.27.8537)

    Disabling the 5GHz radio in the ISP router didn't change anything.

    I changed the 5GHz band width to 40MHz and now my ipad is getting 264down/307 up, slightly higher on the mbp. Now we're getting somewhere!

    submitted by /u/eric987235
    [link] [comments]

    Router as a Switch?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 09:59 AM PDT

    Can a router be used as a switch without causing any interference? I'm talking about the main router hard wired to a 2nd router but using the ports of the 2nd router to hard-wire other devices. Trying to see if this could save me a few bucks from buying an actual switch.

    I have a Netgear R6300v2 and a DLink DAP1650 at home that I can use if its possible. This would be hard-wired to an Orbi.

    submitted by /u/regmeyster
    [link] [comments]

    Verizon FiOS + Annotec router, link connection drops on MOCA 2.0 Adapter?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 03:23 PM PDT

    Bought this today and tried it out. My router is on the upper floor and doesn't have a strong wifi signal to the lower floor. I have an HTPC downstairs next to the family TV but due to slow wifi, is too laggy to play videos.

    After installing the MOCA device and plugging it into the HTPC i receive internet connection to the router and world, but every few seconds the link light dies and I lose connectivity. Connection pops back on a few seconds later and remains alive for a few more seconds.

    Any tips on this would be great otherwise I will need to call Verizon.

    Note; I have multi-room DVR which means my router is MOCA enabled.

    submitted by /u/Locknlawl
    [link] [comments]

    Two-House Network Setup (800 ft L. O. S. Space)

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 02:53 PM PDT

    I am trying to design a two - house network for my parents and their neighbors. I have a given 100 mbps WAN connection at the "host" house, and want to deliver a 50 mbps connection to the "client" house. Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong place.

    Requirements:

    • Each house has 50 Mbps reserved
    • 10 connected devices in Host house and 20 devices in Client house

    Here's my design right now: Image Link

    100mbps WAN

    1 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X + Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite (for Host house)

    2 - Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5 (one Host one Client)

    1 - Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite (for Client house)

    I've never set up a network before, but I know how to watch youtube and can dedicate a weekend to this project. I would like someone to help me look over this design and give me a thumbs up or point me to where I should be doing my research. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Jkraghify
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a Wifi Extender Pro

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 02:45 PM PDT

    Hey all, I was wondering if I could get some help with a problem I'm having. I had a WiFi Extender from TP Link and it was working perfectly fine. Then I had the ISP give me a new plan and they installed a new modem and a new router name.

    Now I can't connect to my extender because it has a different name and is set to the old modem.

    Naturally, I clicked the reset button on the device but it keeps showing up with the old name still.

    I try to go to www.tplinkrepeater.net as the instructions say but I can't connect.

    Any advice? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/everythingred
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for other alternative firmware choices besides DD-WRT

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 02:28 PM PDT

    I just purchased an ASUS AC66UB1 to replace my aging ASUS RT-N16. I've been running the DD-WRT firmware on the older model for some time, and would like to do the same with the new router; a quick search on the DD-WRT website shows that the new model is supported.

    However, before I dive into the install, I'd like to ask if anyone has other alternative firmware that they've used and liked. In particular, I want to make sure that I can set firewall rules via iptables or another method to block certain ad sites (haven't gotten around to getting a piHole set up yet).

    Any suggestions or projects I should look at? As I said, I'm most familiar with DD-WRT, but I'm aware of projects like tomato.

    submitted by /u/pat_trick
    [link] [comments]

    internet slows to a crawl at a specific time, help please.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 01:23 AM PDT

    -i live in new Zealand. -my ISP if FLIP.

    around 8:04pm, without fail the internet will become the slowest thing ever. my DL/UL speed is 25Mb/8Mb, this is throughout the day AND when the issue occurs i get the same results.

    for example, when the problem is happening, ill click a webpage, it will take 10-15 seconds to open opposed to instantly. when playing Online games, it will boot me out of the server, then i will fail to connect to any online game server i try connect to.

    i, and my family have contacted flip via email and telephone, they put a 'tap' on to monitor what happens over the course of the day and tell us everything looks okay.

    when they do put this tap on our line, the issue doesn't occur and the internet remains to run perfectly fine. Flip says they are not throttling us.

    if anyone has any advise or tips, it would be appreciated, thank you

    submitted by /u/XcoxMi
    [link] [comments]

    The wifi adapters are hidden on the device manager and can't be enabled

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 01:51 PM PDT

    Lately my laptop only allows me to connect through an ethernet cable, and the wifi adapters are hidden on the device manager and can't be enabled.

    submitted by /u/pauloal24
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone hotspot not working for home network

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 05:27 PM PDT

    My mobile hotspot is not working correctly at all. I upgraded my data plan to unlimited hotspot, and I tried using it, and it turns on and stays on until I connect my WiFi extender to it to repeat it. That's when it goes south. My iPhones hotspot immediately shuts off when using an extender. Then it turns on, and immediately after the extender makes a connection to my phone. The hotspot on the phone turns off.

    It's a never ending cycle.

    My iPhone hotspot works with other devices, and I have two different types of extenders and neither work with it!

    What should I do to fix it? (We have one android phone and that one works fine, it's just the data plan is limited to 500kbps not unlimited...) we have 2 other iPhones and they all do the same thing.

    My goal is to connect the iPhone to a WiFi extender, then wire the extender to my home WiFi router, and connect all my devices to the WiFi router. (Tried it with the android phone, it worked fine, but Speedtest shows 500kbps instead of 10mbps With this phone, since the plan is capped unless I upgrade, but since I already upgraded the iPhone I wanna see if I can get some tips on fixing it first)

    Any ideas ? (Posted on another Reddit on accident, someone said what I'm doing is impossible. It is not! The android phone worked fine !!!)

    submitted by /u/wtfisAntifa
    [link] [comments]

    Can ubiquity nanostation access to it's login page even if the cable is somewhat damaged somewhere?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 08:13 AM PDT

    something strange is happening to me, I connected 2 nanostation loco m2 as AP to my router with what I thought was cat5 cable but it looks cheaper and since 3 weeks ago one of them is not giving me internet access when I run troubleshoot on windows I get the message " IP doesn't have a valid configuration" (or something like that) the strangest thing is that when I reset the nano and try to login to it's configuration page it does, and I even brought it home to see if it would work on my network and it does, I once had similar problem with the same cable and the same nano I changed the RJ45 and worked fine the only diference is that last time it didn't enter the login page.

     

    sorry for my bad grammar.

    submitted by /u/iamfeelings
    [link] [comments]

    if I add two more AP to my router, would it allow me to connect a lot more people?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 07:54 AM PDT

    I'm kind of a newbie on networking and I installed two nanostations loco m2 as AP in my company, from what I have seen online a single router only allows a certain amount of people connected to it but if I connect 2 more APs will it allow me to connect more? if not could someone tell me how to configure my router to allow me to connect more people?

    submitted by /u/iamfeelings
    [link] [comments]

    Vacation Home Best Practices?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 11:36 AM PDT

    My parents have a vacation home they'll be renting out for much of the summer. I need to select a modem and router (or combo) for wireless internet access. It's not very big (two stories, two bedroom part of a duplex.)

    Comcast will be the ISP, and I plan to get something at least DOCSIS 3 compatible. The router will probably be 802.11ac, unless there's something I'm not aware of that would work better.

    Issues:

    1) The vacation home is very far away from my location (3 days drive) so I can't just swing by and troubleshoot it. I need a very stable setup.

    2) Renters will vary from week to week.

    3) There are other WiFi networks in the area (likely 3 to 4 within 100 feet of the house.)

    Questions:

    1) What equipment should I get for stability? Should I get a modem/router combo so Comcast ends up doing most of the management?

    2) Should I setup a splash page with ToS, or does that really even matter?

    3) If I get a router advanced enough for it should I throttle or block common protocols for file sharing? I'd hate for someone to come and commit a bunch of copyright violations and my parents get dragged into the legal issues.

    4) Anything you can think of that I'm overlooking?

    submitted by /u/Teanut
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about Edgerouter-X

    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 08:04 PM PDT

    Just setup an Edgerouter-X and converted my RT-N66U into an access point.

    I left everything at default except I setup my network using the basic wizard and set up the smart queue.

    I ran a few DNS benchmarks (Google's, GRC's) and they both said that the local namespace is the fastest (192.168.1.1) so do I need to change anything to do with the DNS settings or am I good to go?

    Also, after I set my RT-N66U to access point mode, I can't seem to access the settings page anymore. I downloaded their Device Discovery app on my phone but it shows an IP outside of my LAN which I can't connect to.

    submitted by /u/ZephyrPro
    [link] [comments]

    How/Why does a wireless mesh work?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 10:37 AM PDT

    What i mean is how can two+ nodes talk to each other and provide that same signal strength to all areas when i cant just go to that area with my device and get the same signal strength?

    how do nodes talk to each other that my device and a node/router do not?

    submitted by /u/Vaeevictiss
    [link] [comments]

    New Access Point - trouble with HP WiFi printer

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 10:13 AM PDT

    So, I just installed a new access point (TP-Link EAP245) from my ISP's supplied Pace SR515AC router/AP. After setting a static IP for the EAP245, the only computer I can now print from to my cheapo HP WiFi printer is my desktop, which has a hardwired connection to the Pace router. I read that HP's have a difficulty when there are different APs with the same SSID.

    Any ideas for a fix? I was planning to set a MAC filter static IP for the HP Printer when I get home today, but I was also reading I should set channels for the different APs (channel 1 for the Pace AP, and channel 6 or 11 for the TP-Link). The HP printer is closer to the Pace AP, but within range of the TP-Link EAP.

    submitted by /u/mrflibble24
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco switch with two vlans

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 09:49 AM PDT

    Hello, I know this is a noob question, but I want to set up this at home. Is it possible to create two VLANs on Cisco switch to separate local networks, and still have an internet connection on both VLANs? The switch (only L2) is connected directly to ISP modem/router, which is mostly unmanageable. Here is the link to the picture of my idea https://ibb.co/ix9tp7 I don't want this two VLANs to be able to communicate to each other, do I still need router on a stick? Or isn't enough to set subnet IP on VLAN interface and default gateway?

    submitted by /u/Castrated_Fellowship
    [link] [comments]

    Possible NAT issue with Netgear R6700v2

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 09:19 AM PDT

    I currently have a netgear R6700v2 connected to my home network. Connected to it is a Cisco 3560G switch, with SVIs (VLAN interface) configured for various lab networks of mine.

    When pinging out to the internet using a source address that is on the same network as the Netgear, everything works fine.

    When pinging out to the internet using a source address of one of my lab networks, it fails.

    I have a default static route pointing to the Netgear, which explains how the vlan2 interface is able to function properly. I have both a 10.0.0.0 /8 and 10.1.3.0 /24 static route on the netgear pointing back to 192.168.1.254, so return routing should be fine. I've even configured RIP on the Netgear and my switch for giggles.

    I've disabled "Secure Nat" and "Access Control", in case they were somehow preventing traffic from a 10.x network from being allowed.

    At this point, I'm at a loss and about to return the product, as my router seems to be incapable of routing.

    Here is command output from a couple of ping tests and a copy of my routing table.

    LAB_SWITCH#ping 8.8.8.8 source vlan2

    Type escape sequence to abort.

    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 8.8.8.8, timeout is 2 seconds:

    Packet sent with a source address of 192.168.1.254

    !!!!!

    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 16/21/34 ms

    LAB_SWITCH#ping 8.8.8.8 source vlan3

    Type escape sequence to abort.

    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 8.8.8.8, timeout is 2 seconds:

    Packet sent with a source address of 10.1.3.1

    .....

    Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

    LAB_SWITCH#sh ip route

    Codes: L - local, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP

     D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2 E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2 i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2 ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route, H - NHRP, l - LISP + - replicated route, % - next hop override 

    Gateway of last resort is 192.168.1.1 to network 0.0.0.0

    S* 0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 192.168.1.1

     10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 5 subnets, 2 masks 

    C 10.1.3.0/24 is directly connected, Vlan3

    L 10.1.3.1/32 is directly connected, Vlan3

    C 10.1.4.0/24 is directly connected, Vlan4

    L 10.1.4.1/32 is directly connected, Vlan4

    C 10.7.9.1/32 is directly connected, Loopback0

     24.0.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets 

    R 24.X.X.X [120/1] via 192.168.1.1, 00:00:11, Vlan2

     192.168.1.0/24 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks 

    C 192.168.1.0/24 is directly connected, Vlan2

    L 192.168.1.254/32 is directly connected, Vlan2

    submitted by /u/Malcorin
    [link] [comments]

    Any inexpensive 4X4 router ?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 07:15 AM PDT

    I'd like to use the router as a wifi adapter. That router/wifi adapter will connect to my PC (far away from my main router) with an Ethernet cable. And to maximize the speed (I have Gigabit), I'd like to get a 4X4 router. Could you please recommend me an inexpensive 4X4 router. I want a cheap one because this isn't my main router, it's just a wifi adapter.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/zzzzoooo
    [link] [comments]

    Question on wifi extenders

    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 07:09 AM PDT

    I have a clear shot of about 200' from my WiFi router to my doc house, where I would like to receive the signal and have a Sonos sound system. I want to avoid running an Ethernet cable and wondered if anyone had a recommendation of an antenna or range extender or repeater?

    submitted by /u/hhhax7
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel