• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, June 16, 2022

    IT Career [Week 24 2022] Entry Level Discussions!

    IT Career [Week 24 2022] Entry Level Discussions!


    [Week 24 2022] Entry Level Discussions!

    Posted: 15 Jun 2022 11:12 PM PDT

    You like computers and everyone tells you that you can make six figures in IT. So easy!

    So how do you do it? Is your degree the right path? Can you just YouTube it? How do you get the experience when every job wants experience?

    So many questions and this is the weekly post for them!

    WIKI:

    Essential Blogs for Early-Career Technology Workers:

    Above links sourced from: u/VA_Network_Nerd

    MOD NOTE: This is a weekly post.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Guy goes on a “no one wants to work” rant during my interview

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 04:42 AM PDT

    I went on a interview for a field technician at the FedEx world hub. After I was done with my interview the guy says thank you for answering the phone, I've been trying to call people back and no one wants to answer the phone. He goes on to say people don't want to work anymore. I just laughed and walked out, people want to work maybe they just don't want to work for y'all…

    submitted by /u/Dirty_Sims
    [link] [comments]

    Clinical anxiety in new post-sales tech role - A lot of customer interaction - Any tips?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 02:14 PM PDT

    Long time, diagnosed general anxiety sufferer here. My empathy goes out to all in similar situation. I saw a stat in a presentation that 71% of tech workers said their productivity is affected by a mental health issue. I have to track down that source, it is an eye-watering number. I work a desk job in tech. I'll keep it vague but it's a post-sales type of job - helping customers with using the solution they already bought. This is a new job for me this year. It's pushing me because I will have to be way more customer interactive and very technically adept on new products and master presentation skills and provide this level of support constantly. I feel like it's a grow-or-die-trying kind of proposition. No surprises going into it, this is what I signed up for. I am hoping for growth personally and professionally but it feels terrible in the process.

    I'm mid-career so I've been a bunch of places. I'm lucky, I have yet to lose a job over mental health issues but it can definitely slow my productivity compared to peers. But when I am good I produce high quality work and get positive feedback for that. It is easily overwhelming sorting, organizing, absorbing new technical content and then in my new role I'm getting ready to present in some cases for multiple days to a single customer. Training from hundreds of pages of product documents, multiple slide decks 50 to 100 slides long and then also weaving into interactive demos. Working on building lab scenarios. And then this is just one technical product and eventually there will be others. Trying to reach baseline competency to answer as much as possible on the spot and then take away unknown questions for research and circle back. My lizard brain will assess that I am never going to be prepared enough, so I have to battle that and move forward.

    As I've moved through a generous ramp up in my new role I am pivoting now and trying to line up customer work. It is to some degree terrifying. I wake up every day with pangs of anxiety that ebb and flow through the entire day. Recently I dropped nearly 12 pounds in about a month due to reduced appetite. Picture an average person's nerves going to a job interview, now double or triple that and deal with it every single day. I have support, I have therapy, I have meds. I have coping skills. I'm lucky, I would be in the fetal position without all of that. I am a changed person over time in managing this anxiety but it is still a lot. Some dice roll of genes (nature) & upbringing (nurture) got me to this state. The way I see it, and it's been hinted at, because of running a for-profit business and all -- before long I'll be only about as valuable to my company as my ability to maintain a certain percentage of billable hours. And if I can't keep up those numbers I fear for this going downhill fast. Hoping that doesn't happen of course, but I have yet to prove my value. This summer will be critical. Somebody elsewhere wrote a description which kind of describes the feeling: anxiety caused by being put in situations that I do not think I am capable of resolving.

    This job and company are about the best I can hope for, so if it fails it sort of leaves me with my mouth hanging open and not sure what Plan B will be.

    At this time I have sort of three main counter balances to this new-role anxiety:

    1. Constant reminder that despite the feeling, anxiety won't kill you.
    2. Preparation, preparation, preparation. Trying to do as much dang preparation as I can before I land the first customers. which is around the corner.
    3. Presentation practice, which I've done to some extent. But nothing will really substitute for the first lengthy ones with real customers.

    Maybe some of you find this relatable, and if so, did you have any strategies to help get you through the goal posts of say, the first year as a new post-sales tech support / engineer kind of gig with a load of anxiety to work through and survived to talk about it?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/buzzlightyearfailed
    [link] [comments]

    IT professionals: if America enters a recession how will entry level IT positions be effected? Any advice appreciated

    Posted: 15 Jun 2022 05:04 PM PDT

    I'm 33 with A+ and Net+, I'm about a month away from taking Sec+ and at that time I will be looking to switch careers and take the pay cut that I have so eloquently been told is imminent. However, with the current economic state of our country and the possibility of a recession in the near future, what impact, good or bad, would that have on entry level IT positions? Would certain positions be eliminated? Do you see a scenario where jobs are actually created due to some type of possible e-commerce increases that occur as a by product of this? What specific areas of IT do you think would be most important in a recession environment(cybersecurity, cloud, networking, any others). Any advice would be appreciated. Bonus appreciation for responses from anyone working in IT back in 2008 during that recession.

    submitted by /u/big-sexy89
    [link] [comments]

    Tips on talking to recruiters when you're entry level?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 03:51 PM PDT

    Hey again!

    Been learning some more stuff on the side and updating my resume. I've set up a couple of resumes for LinkedIn Easy Apply just to try it out and I've gotten a few recruiter calls and emails, so I want to make sure I'm approaching this correctly. I'm also still applying directly to companies.

    A few are just placement firms that want $15k from me for a guarantee that I'll get a job in 60 days - I'll pass, I have a decent job now and this just sounds scammy

    I've also gotten some recruiters asking what my current salary is and what I'm looking for. Not sure how to handle these, I just respond honestly, but maybe I should ask for more than I'm expecting, or lie about how much I earn?

    I've also gotten emails asking for my resume in word doc format (wtf?) as well as to rate myself on the various skills they're looking for. This seems a little weird, but it doesn't take that long. Wondering if this is normal or just a waste of time. I'm assuming most people lie on these as well and overstate their skills.

    I'm trying to make sure I don't get scammed or have my time wasted, but I also don't enjoy the privilege of mid or high level IT worker with lots of experience, so I imagine I'll have to waste some time dealing with crappy offers and communication before I get a good offer.

    Tl;dr: People are contacting me, but no official offers. Just looking for tips on talking to recruiters as an entry level worker as most of the advice I see on this sub seems to cater to people that are constantly contacted with six figure offers and can afford to ignore the recruiters that have weird processes.

    submitted by /u/Mulch_the_IT_noob
    [link] [comments]

    Database Admin Certifications?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 01:16 PM PDT

    I am currently in an IT support role and wnat to use there free training to get certifications going towards database administration. I want to code SQL and work with the development of databases. I do not want to study data so no to data analytics.

    I am trying to get certifications now, i was going to start with the DP-900 certification but what should i be going for after that if im not someone to want to analyze and study data but to actually develop the databases. any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/dark845722
    [link] [comments]

    I need Guidance for pricing

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 03:16 PM PDT

    Hi!

    I work as a systems engineer as my day job, but I'm picking up some moonlight work to help cover bills and what not.

    I'm in talks with an individual to rewire their back office in a bar. They mentioned they're having some connectivity issues with WiFi, but more important he wants the area cleaned up.

    The work would most likely consistent of routing network wires, mounting equipment, terminating/shortening, potentially a wall rack, etc.

    I wanted to ask for any suggestions on pricing? I'm currently advertising on FaceBook and that's how the gentlemen with the bar got in contact with me.

    I suspect I can do most of the work in a single night.

    Lump sum? Hourly? Hard quote? Estimate?

    submitted by /u/LaDev
    [link] [comments]

    CS grad for 1 year without a job. want to do primarily iT no coding. Need some guidance

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 03:06 PM PDT

    What I am doing right now: aggressively grinding for A+. I have studied atleast 4 hours a day for the past week and a half. I applied for many jobs when I graduated may 2021 and I could not get any. I got 2 callbacks out of like 60-70. and both times they went with someone else more qualified.

    After I get (hopefully) my A+ should I work for other certs or then try to get into the field? I was going to go for the trifecta and then apply for jobs. But I'm starting to think I should finish a+ then apply for jobs.

    submitted by /u/wwe20180
    [link] [comments]

    I don’t know if should choose IT or CIS?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 11:06 AM PDT

    So my employer recently rolled out a program where they pay full tuition to an in state university to get your online bachelors degree. I have always been interested in the computer science field specifically in cyber security and decided to look into it. Initially I wanted to get a degree in computer science or applied computing. Both with a cyber security designation. However they do not offer these degrees online. So the degrees that I am interested in that they do offer are IT or CIS. I need input and advice on what I should choose. I really want to be in a back office position where my schedule is very flexible, where I am not doing "technical" work like physically fixing computers or taking Help desk calls. I want to be in a position where I am handed a project, given a time frame to complete it and "left alone" for a lack of better words. This doesn't mean not interacting with other team members, just a career where there is minimal supervision. A big one is being able to work remote. With how work culture is going and being back office this is a really big one. I have a friend that is a "programer" He says he should be a systems architect because that what he basically does but without the title. When he talks about his job he says it's challenging but he loves it because of the flexibility in his schedule, where he can work 2 hours one day and work 10 hours the next day etc. I don't want to be tied to a 8-5 job schedule thats been etched into stone. I have looked into a few careers and cyber security analyst is something that has really caught my eye. So is what I want a dream? Should I lower my expectations? Should I become a cake baker instead? No but seriously any all input is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/idie_ForHiking
    [link] [comments]

    Can you describe L1, L2, L3 tech position roles?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 02:18 PM PDT

    Title says it all. Just curious how everyone defines each role. Jobs tend to mix various responsibilities into one role and would be good to see how it relates to salary.

    submitted by /u/GoOnNoMeatNoPudding
    [link] [comments]

    Can work as an FTE Through C2C

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 11:32 AM PDT

    I have joined at recruiting agency as a consultant through my S corp via Corp2corp a few months ago. Now the client wants hire me as a full time. So i was wondering if its possible to join the client company as corp2corp.

    Please advice

    submitted by /u/Equivalent-Arugula71
    [link] [comments]

    When should I resign? If I have less than two weeks to start

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 04:47 PM PDT

    I received a job offer for a company yesterday along with the background check verification link.

    I filled out the background check information along with signing the offer. My question is would it be okay for me to tell my current employer that I will be leaving or should I wait until the background check is complete? My new employer has a start date that is less than the standard two week notice leaving me with less than a week heads up.

    The offer letter has the start date in writing along with what are the next steps but I'm not sure if the background check is already cleared or pending.

    Would it be okay if I tell my employer tomorrow that my last day is next Friday?

    Currently I work in retail so giving sudden notices aren't out of ordinary, but I just want to make sure I'm covered.

    Thank y'all

    submitted by /u/Apollo802
    [link] [comments]

    New Job, DBA, Feeling Stressed. How to succeed?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 04:42 PM PDT

    Hi All! I'm a bit stressed out, and maybe this sub could give some good advice? You seem very helpful!!

    I've been working for a few years at a med-size organization (250 non-technical users, 8 locations). I was hired as a junior DBA, but worked with a senior who helped a lot with queries. We used industry-specific tools with some SQL, and lots of Excel work to make reports. Our IT dept left during my time there, and they hired a remote-support MSP to help me. I was the only in-house IT employee, besides the analyst. So I ended up focusing more on being the sysadmin, help desk lead, networking lead, etc, and learning as much as I could, while still doing some reporting on the side.

    I was feeling pretty burnt out, and applied for jobs. I worked my first week at a new, much better job, but it's a much larger organization, and it's entirely a head DBA position, with some software development coming up. The job seems pretty good, but I'm worried about my knowledge gap.

    I'd like to:

    - get through the imposter syndrome (I don't feel as experienced as they were expecting me to be, but I think I interviewed well, and they didn't really ask me much technical stuff in the interview... it sounded like they just wanted someone who would stick around, was younger, and was trainable?)

    - continue reviewing their schemas, learn about optimizing and maintenance, learn their reporting software and different industry-specific things (completely new industry). It seems absolutely overwhelming, but I'm trying my best.

    It's a good job, but I'd like to stay, do well, and show that I can be the person they need. This job seems a bit different than my old one, but I hope that I can do it. Any tips on transitioning? Has anyone been in my shoes?

    EDIT: I did a computer science degree before my first job!

    submitted by /u/DBAohno
    [link] [comments]

    Help and advice on something

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 12:55 PM PDT

    Hello. I just need some inputs or maybe advice on something.

    I'm a 31 yr old guy, thats been working in the F&B industry for almost 10 years now. I've been wanting to take up IT when I was still in Uni. As of now, I am currently not really liking where I am (not financially). Is it too late now for me to take up the course and maybe do a shift in career?

    submitted by /u/peepeeknocker
    [link] [comments]

    Career path moving forward

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 04:40 PM PDT

    Currently work at a public school (NE) on a small team (Less than 5 people) and I'm unsure of where to go with my career path as I am new to the industry with <6 months xp. My current job is L1 help desk but the manager has began mentoring me over my colleagues. He says that he see's a lot of potential in me and thinks that I can do great things (his words). He's been letting me help him or at times work independently with our firewall/server side which meant that I have been exposed so much more than I would in a job with a normal setting.

    My biggest project that I've been assigned was a completely broken JAMF environment (lost devices/licenses/server tokens being broken) which I was able to fix fully. This project among other things has led to me getting a raise to $26 only six months into my job ($21>$26). However I was told that raises like this are uncommon and I likely wont be seeing a raise for at least 1 - 2 years, but if I did it would be small ($1~). This being a school, I understand that the budget isn't massive so I understand there is a cap here but the work/life balance is amazing.

    I'm currently enrolled in IT bachelors program at a local uni and im three years off from graduating. This leaves little time for me to balance studying & school work so my timeline for future certs isn't great. I was thinking N+ would take around 6 months and Sec 6+ months. The path I had in mind is something like this:

    A+(Obtained) > AZ-900 > Network+ > Sec+ > CCNA or AZ104

    My questions are:

    1. With my time being limited heavily, should I push the bach program back until I get my CCNA? In my mind, CCNA + 3~ years of experience would put me in a desirable position for employers.

    2. Where do you draw the line between comfort + work/life balance and money? I am leaving money on the table if I stay here too long? Would riding out the coming recession be a good idea here?

    submitted by /u/Cover25
    [link] [comments]

    Switching gears to cyber security

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 12:48 PM PDT

    I've been working in IT for a long time, having over 30 years experience. I started off working on an IBM mainframe, moved over to midrange (iSeries) systems then became a Lotus Notes admin. I enjoyed Notes, it was my bread and butter for years but it's a tiny niche player these days. I've supported Windows servers starting with 2000, VMware, Linx and networking. My roles have been very hands on and do my best to keep my skills current but I'm something of a generalist with lots of experience but no specialty.

    I'm thinking of switching to a cyber security track and the local university offers a 10 month certificate program. What's the general consensus regarding these programs? The cost is reasonable and it seems like a good way to modernize my skillset for cloud and more security focus.

    submitted by /u/soloshots
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for next step/progression

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 12:39 PM PDT

    Question for you all, would you move to a job you wanted for less pay which would mean a better role in the future with a different company? The job is better but less pay than what I'm on now, but it's definitely a step up.

    submitted by /u/WhyAlwaysMe101
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get the A+ or skip it to get the Network+ if I got a Helpdesk / tech support job?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 04:13 PM PDT

    I will be starting a job interview which will involve troubleshooting, active directory, JAMF and more. My current position is a mix of IT (ticketing and troubleshooting) and manual work.

    It took me months to find a job. Eventually, I'd like to go into sysadmin.

    Should I just skip the A+ and go for N+?

    submitted by /u/Wholesome_7and100
    [link] [comments]

    South Florida Career Advice

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 03:59 PM PDT

    I have been job searching in the South Florida / Miami region for several months now. I have my CompTIA A+ and N+, and I am currently pursuing a CCNA. I usually do not get replies from employers. Help desk / Desktop support positions is mostly what I have been pursuing, but most seem to take the 1-2 years of experience/Bachelors requirement somewhat serious. I am considering returning to college for a degree to see if this help, and I am starting an unpaid internship for experience.

    Does this reflect anybody else's experience? Is the South Florida region particularly difficult for job searching? Is it a bad place to start a career, and if I had to stay, what would be the best use of my time in Miami or better positions and where for my skill?

    submitted by /u/itman117
    [link] [comments]

    Applied to a job, but so far doesn’t seem like there’s an actual real interview process?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 12:01 PM PDT

    Anybody every had this happen? Is it normal to just get hired right on the spot? This feels insanely fishy…

    submitted by /u/Ok-Conference-2030
    [link] [comments]

    Applying to IT jobs with resume including non-relevant experience

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 11:56 AM PDT

    Before I start I just want to thank anyone for their answers and taking the time to read , thanks!

    I am currently about to graduate with a 2 year diploma in IT computer systems technician , and I am planning on completing my A+ around the same time i graduate.

    Since the beginning of high-school I have worked part time during school and full time in the summer without a gap , but it has been all Line cook work at nice restaurants.

    I have one year of IT experience for a small business doing various things (networking, VoIP, hardware upgrades) and also have done a few side projects such as building crypto rigs and PCs…. A ton of them.

    My question is .. is it worth it to include my 6 years of kitchen experience as a non relevant section on my resume so that the employer knows I have a decent work ethic and this wouldn't be my first job?

    submitted by /u/GinnyJr
    [link] [comments]

    “We really enjoyed our conversation “ Hourly rate?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 11:29 AM PDT

    I just had an interview for a tier one position for a foreign company that is growing the the US. Seems like a good time to get in near a foundational level. Currently I am a contractor making 20/h while the direct hires make 23-25. My questions is what is an appropriate initial offer for this position? They seem to have liked the interview quite a bit but I don't want to over sell myself either.

    submitted by /u/Potato-Drama808
    [link] [comments]

    Career Path Decision of Choosing between Networks or DevOps

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 11:17 AM PDT

    Looking for help deciding whether to pursue a Network Engineer type job or more of a DevOps engineer type role. Currently work as an IT Specialist and work on things like writing bash scripts to automate processes, Splunk, general AWS things, and then all the normal IT stuff like troubleshooting technical problems for engineers, management of servers, networks, end user's desktops/laptops, etc. I recently got the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner certificate and have been working in IT as 1 year and intern and 1 year full time since graduating college with a degree in Information Science. I have a small foot in either Network stuff and would try to get my Security+ cert OR devops work since i'm partially included in a devops workgroup currently but I'd have to learn everything about the tools actually used (I know what Docker is, that's about it). I equally like the idea of pursuing either but I don't know which is more feasible for someone who isn't absolutely insane at coding either.

    submitted by /u/Ashamed-Charity-3436
    [link] [comments]

    What is a great skill to learn for the foreseeable future?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 02:39 PM PDT

    What skills do you all think will be in demand, or just good skills to learn for the next 3 - 5 years?

    submitted by /u/rudygj
    [link] [comments]

    Are most companies still require Covid vaccine?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 02:32 PM PDT

    I was thinking of going into sysadmin or AWS but do most of those jobs require being vaccinated with the Covid vaccine, even if it's remote?

    submitted by /u/itjobcal
    [link] [comments]

    Confusion on how to list Job Duties on Resume of "Network Engineer"

    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 02:22 PM PDT

    Basically the title. I am a 'Network Engineer', but I am basically just a network janitor. I work in the Enterprise side of an ISP with sales force orders where customer have either requested their services be disconnected or they haven't paid their bill, so their services are getting disconnected.
    My daily job duties are basically looking up the customers circuit in granite records, following the path of network devices the circuit is on, and blow out the config on those devices for it. Sometimes the records can be wrong so I will have to trace the circuits through the network to find the devices. The circuits can range from Voice circuits to FIA, EPLs, etc. I touch multiple types of devices, Juniper, Cisco, Alcatel, Adva, Rads, etc.

    I am looking for recommendations on how to effectively list these kind of duties on a resume to make it sound more noteworthy than it seems (or at least seems to me). Any feedback or information is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/darkmatter3247
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel