• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, March 31, 2022

    Simple Questions - March 31, 2022

    Simple Questions - March 31, 2022


    Simple Questions - March 31, 2022

    Posted: 30 Mar 2022 09:00 PM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    So… I accidentally bought 1x32GB of RAM…

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 09:21 AM PDT

    When I originally thought I was getting 2x16GB, so I could run the sticks in dual channel

    It's a Kingston Fury DDR4 3600… so am I screwed? Will I have to get ANOTHER stick of 1x32GB to be able to run the RAM in dual channel? Or will a single stick not hinder the gaming experience too much?

    submitted by /u/The_returned
    [link] [comments]

    I am the "Tech Guy" in my friends circle, and I've been asked to create a PC parts list for them countless times so I created this as the defacto "Mid Range PC". Thoughts?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 10:02 AM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QLtwhk

    EDIT:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RTdp8r

    Made changes to the case, cooler, ram, and storage based on the comments

    EDIT 2: Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone! I'm a bit unfamiliar with builds at this price range, so your guys' recommendations have been extremely helpful and I'll be making changes as I go!

    EDIT 3: Brought the price down about $300 from the original link while keeping the same performance

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2cfJbK (Has slightly more emphasis on asthetics)

    EDIT 4: Probably the last edit for me, but there are tons of more knowledge people down in the comments, with a lot more builds more tailored towards the mid range than mine. Learned a lot from your comments and couldn't be more grateful for all your advice!

    I'll leave the above link unmarked since the that and this one are so similar in price, hope you guys have a great day!

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R2Vsk9 (Slighty more performance)

    submitted by /u/WrappingRaptor
    [link] [comments]

    Built my first computer!

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 08:37 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/6BM3Y41

    Parts I used: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fMGBbK

    Hey all!I was finally able to build my dream gaming PC and I am so excited. Growing up I never had a computer that was able to run many games. The family desktop I had played games at an ultra low framerate. I always dreamt of building a computer but never had the money. Finally I now have steady income at 22 , saved up, and did it! I had literally 0 experience in this. I asked random people on reddit to help pick out parts within my budget and watched a bunch of YT videos as my instruction manual.

    Putting this together probably took around 8-10 hours LOL don't come for me. I think the hardest part was figuring out how to install the CPU cooler, which I eventually found out that I needed to buy separate mounting parts to install it to my motherboard. I was too impatient to wait a week for it to come in so I used the stock cooler that came with the CPU.

    Another issue I had was during the moment to turn on to see if everything worked, it didn't turn on the first time and I was so disappointed. I looked back on my wires and connections, and after an hour, I found out I put the wires on the front panel connectors incorrectly. It looked pretty straightforward in the video I watched but mine looked a little different so I guess it threw me off.

    Installing the drivers was another mess that took a bit of time because I'm a dumbass. I put it on a flashdrive and was having issues transferring it to the PC, but whatever I figured it out.

    So if you think you can't do it or you are on the fence pleaseeeeee---if I did it, you can do it. I learned so much about computers during this process and it was so rewarding. Also if you have any tips in taking off a stock cooler, please do share ^_^

    submitted by /u/m10488
    [link] [comments]

    720p vs 900p monitor.

    Posted: 30 Mar 2022 06:51 PM PDT

    Hi guys I am planning on building a pc, but I want to know your guys opinion on which monitor is better and why? I mostly want to know as the build that I am planning on getting tops out at 900p for most newer games, so that's the monitor I want to get.

    But apart from that. My internet isn't all to good so it could only play videos at 720p.

    I just want to know how 720p looks on a 900p monitor

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Pitifubulldog
    [link] [comments]

    Is 1151 socket dead?

    Posted: 30 Mar 2022 11:58 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I built a PC about 1 and a half years ago with 9900K, ROG Maximus XI Hero and 2080TI, but I didn't check the current trend of processors, sockets and mobos back then. Now that we built a new PC for a friend of my I realized there are 1200 socket cpus so I wondered if Intel completely killed 1151 socket, and I need to get a new motherboard if I want to upgrade my CPU in the future. (It doesn't need upgrading yet at all, IMO)

    submitted by /u/desiremusic
    [link] [comments]

    Why my monitor heal itself overtime

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 02:17 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Two weeks ago, a huge earthquake caused my PC monitor to fall down to a floor. The damage was not so bad so I decided to continue to use it.

    However, I found that my monitor kept fixing itself over time. And the damage is almost unnoticeable as of today!

    Comparison Image two weeks ago and now

    So I wonder is this normal? and why my monitor can fix itself?

    My monitor is Viewsonic XG2705-2K in case anyone wants to know.

    submitted by /u/RikkaMartin
    [link] [comments]

    I5 and I7 processor names are very confusing...how do i find which one is better?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 12:16 AM PDT

    Most of the times I see people here recommending i5 over i7, what's the reason for this? I've always thought the bigger the number the better.

    Most AAA games nowadays recommend an i7 processor but some people will say that a specific i5 processor will be able to play the game. How do I find out which processor is better, if it's not by the i"number", is it by using the number after i? For example, is i5 "higher number" > i7 "lower number"?

    If a game recommends an i7 to be able to play it, how do I find out which i5 processor will still be able to handle it? Can someone please explain this to me.

    submitted by /u/wathow123
    [link] [comments]

    I screwed up my pc using MSI Afterburner

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 07:21 AM PDT

    Hi, I was concerned about my fans having a weird noise so I went to afterburner to try and adjust my fans but instead i set the power limit to the lowest and my pc insta crashed. Now when I try to boot it it crashes before my windows login screen comes on. If I wait 10 min and let my pc rest I can manage to get into bios but thwre i have 20 seconds to do something before it crashes again, sometimes it gives me "overheating check thermal paste" warnings but i did not have any fan problems or any high temperatures yesterday? So im thinking it really has to be that I have the powerlimit lower than what my components are using.... guys idk what to do please help if u have the time

    submitted by /u/fredured
    [link] [comments]

    Thanks r/buildapc, I just finished my first build!

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 11:00 AM PDT

    Hey all, I came here a couple months ago looking for help configuring a PC and a few Redditors gave me very good advice. My final build is as follows:

    • Corsair 4000D Airflow Case
    • AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
    • MSI B550 A Pro
    • G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16
    • Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    • EVGA Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB (recycled from previous build, because GPU prices; but looking at an RTX 3050 at some point)
    • TP Archer Link 6E Wi-Fi Adapter
    • Corsair RMx 650 Watt Power Supply
    • 6x ARCTIC P12

    Thanks Again for all your help and support, and hopefully one day I can help someone like y'all helped me

    submitted by /u/GloriouslyUnderrated
    [link] [comments]

    I want to have 3x GPUs but I am uncertain whether this rig will work.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 12:51 PM PDT

    Ok, Nvidia RTX A4000 is the name, 3D rendering's the game. I currently run 2x A4000s and curious about my prospects of adding even more muscle. My rendering software(Luxion Keyshot from Atlassian) is designed to pool VRAM and processing power from multiple GPUs (No SLI or NV link required) with pretty great results. On the quest for a triple A4000 rig, I'm looking at this motherboard:

    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-P-rev-1x#kf

    It seems to me like, it would work, right?? Pretty new to PC building so I don't understand some of the nuance to the PCIE configurations.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/the_gross_domestic
    [link] [comments]

    Switching from Intel to AMD; How to keep my windows license?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 01:03 PM PDT

    Hi y'all,

    I am currently using a intel processor and planning on switching to a ryzen processor.

    From what I know, windows saves their licenses on the motherboard. So when I switch from intel chipset motherboard to ryzen motherboard, how do I keep my license so I don't have to pay again?

    submitted by /u/Mantylo
    [link] [comments]

    finally bit the bullet on a new graphics card, feel bad for my old one

    Posted: 30 Mar 2022 09:49 AM PDT

    I just bit the bullet on a 3080, placed my order and should get it tomorrow. Been keeping up with the prices this last month and they did seem to lower, but have stagnated a bit now again, but I was happy with the pricepoint. For the ones wondering, I went with a Gigabyte Vision version. It would've been the ROG Strix white version, but waited a bit too long and that one wasn't available at the same pricepoint anymore.

    But right after ordering, I glance aside and somehow start feeling bad for my 1080Ti. This thing has been an absolute beast. Even now it's still happily running my games at reasonable levels at 3440x1440. Sometimes it requires some messing about to hit a good fps spot, but that thing was an absolute beast. Such a beast that when the 20-series launched, I didn't bat an eye.

    But I've been wanting to get RT active in my games, which my card doesn't support. It doesn't support DLSS either, and I started to feel the loss of those features after seeing my stepdad's pc with a 3080 running games. It's not envy of his setup that got me to finally bite the bullet, but it was actually experiencing what I had been curious about for a while, but just didn't have the ability to try out.

    I'll miss it. I'm planning on selling it to recover some of the cost, but the 1080Ti was the first "flagship" card I ever had, and it brought me 4 to 5 years of pure gaming joy. Hope it might bring someone else joy for a longer while.

    submitted by /u/Hara-K1ri
    [link] [comments]

    Thanks to y'all I decided to send back the Gigabyte P750GM PSU (as it might've resulted in it blowing up), so now the question is... what are some good PSUs for the same price range? ~$80

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 09:38 AM PDT

    Cooling

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 09:27 AM PDT

    Is a 240mm AIO enough for an i9 12900k?

    submitted by /u/MealPsychological716
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering if a case swap is possible

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 04:12 PM PDT

    A few days back I found an Asus gd10k (Ryzen 5 3600x + rtx 3060) for a good price and decided to pick it up. I read reviews online of it being loud but I didn't think it would be that annoying... boy was I ever wrong!

    Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to do a case swap, I've been scouring reddit posts with similar comments but they never really show a finished case swap and the info given is quite lacking, was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for cases with good airflow?

    I've found this case but really have no idea what I'm getting myself into, so any help would be appreciated

    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811853101

    submitted by /u/SwankyCheeze
    [link] [comments]

    Just bought a 3060 Ti! Any suggestions for other upgrades?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 09:58 AM PDT

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BZMfjc)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VKx9TW/intel-core-i7-7700k-42ghz-quad-core-processor-bx80677i77700k) | $440.00 @ Amazon

    **CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CrDzK8/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060025ww) | $321.86 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HHbkcf/asus-maximus-ix-hero-atx-lga1151-motherboard-maximus-ix-hero) |-

    **Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/p6RFf7/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16) | $77.98 @ Amazon

    **Storage** | [Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FrH48d/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e500bam) |-

    **Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/j28H99/seagate-barracuda-3-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm008) | $180.00 @ Amazon

    **Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bNcMnQ/evga-video-card-08gp46286) |-

    **Case** | [Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rwhj4D/corsair-case-cc9011078ww) |-

    **Power Supply** | [EVGA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1) |-

    **Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wtgPxr/microsoft-os-kw900140) | $99.98 @ Newegg

    **Wireless Network Adapter** | [Asus PCE-AC56 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bQ8Zxr/asus-wireless-network-card-pceac56) | $62.00 @ Amazon

    **Case Fan** | [Corsair AF140 Quiet 67.8 CFM 140 mm Fan](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yYkD4D/corsair-air-series-af140-quiet-edition-678-cfm-140-mm-fan-co-9050009-ww) |-

    **Case Fan** | [Corsair AF140 Quiet 67.8 CFM 140 mm Fan](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yYkD4D/corsair-air-series-af140-quiet-edition-678-cfm-140-mm-fan-co-9050009-ww) |-

    **Case Fan** | [Corsair AF140 Quiet 67.8 CFM 140 mm Fan](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yYkD4D/corsair-air-series-af140-quiet-edition-678-cfm-140-mm-fan-co-9050009-ww) |-

    **Case Fan** | [Corsair AF140 Quiet 67.8 CFM 140 mm Fan](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yYkD4D/corsair-air-series-af140-quiet-edition-678-cfm-140-mm-fan-co-9050009-ww) |-

    **Monitor** | [Dell S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg) | $484.99 @ Amazon

    **Keyboard** | [Corsair K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KW4NnQ/corsair-k70-rgb-rapidfire-wired-gaming-keyboard-ch-9101014-na) |-

    **Mouse** | [Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ggbkcf/corsair-mouse-ch9300011na) | $42.97 @ Amazon

    **Headphones** | [Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XMJwrH/audio-technica-ath-m50x-headphones-ath-m50x) | $149.00 @ Amazon

    **Speakers** | [Bose Companion 2 Series III 0 nW 2.0 Channel Speakers](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/267wrH/bose-speakers-3544951100) | $149.00 @ Amazon

    **Custom** | [Antlion Audio ModMic 5 Modular Attachable Boom Microphone](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7t4NnQ/antlion-audio-modmic-5-modular-attachable-boom-microphone) |-

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$2007.78**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2022-03-31 12:56 EDT-0400 |

    submitted by /u/Prawo
    [link] [comments]

    PC change to Valorant 240hz

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 11:46 AM PDT

    Hi i have i3 9100f gtx 960 4gb ram 16 GB What should i change to get stable fps in valorant to play on 240hz monitor. I play on 1920 all low. Now i drop down monitor Hz to 144 from 240 but i dont feel this same smooth like on 240.

    submitted by /u/LopsidedRound3065
    [link] [comments]

    Is this an adequate enough build for a gaming pc just for a modded fallout 4, modded Skyrim and maybe some slightly older games

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 08:40 AM PDT

    PCPartPicker Part List

    CPU | [Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-

    CPU Cooler | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler](

    Motherboard | [MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard]

    Memory | [Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory]

    Storage | [Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive]

    Video Card | [Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card]

    Case | [NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case]

    Power Supply | [Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply]

    Operating System | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]

    Monitor | [MSI Optix G241 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor]

    submitted by /u/hunky47
    [link] [comments]

    rate my build

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 03:23 PM PDT

    i5 10600KF

    cooler master Hyper 212 rgb

    MSI H510-A pro micro atx motherboard

    seagate barracuda 2TB 7200RPM

    ADATA SU655 120gb

    Asus Dual rtx 3050

    cooler master master box Q500L

    Evga 600 br

    $1100 CAD

    submitted by /u/KohenWizard
    [link] [comments]

    Upgraded CPU and Motherboard, PC shuts down when playing a game

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 03:21 PM PDT

    Hello, I've upgraded my CPU from i5-8400 to ryzen 5600x. When I wanted to try out fortnite on this setup my PC shut down twice by it self after playing for about 5-10 min. The temperature on CPU and GPU are about 65-70 Celsius. The rest of the specs are 16GB RAM, Nvidia 1060 6GB. So far it didn't turn off while playing other games. Any ideas on how to fix that problem? My FPS are capped at 144 as well.

    submitted by /u/MarkieYoshi
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering why my PCIe is not running at x16 4.0

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 02:41 PM PDT

    I have tried to force the PCIe to 4.0 in the bios but it still shows as 3.0 on GPU-z.

    GPU-Z/CPU-Z

    Does anybody have an idea why could be causing this?

    Edit: My CPU does not support 4.0! Thank you.

    thanks.

    submitted by /u/gamerz_tv
    [link] [comments]

    evga queue notify 3060ti for $483usd

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 12:14 PM PDT

    I finally get an evga notify for a 3060ti that i requested in feb 2021. I already have a 6600xt that i bought for $400usd on launch day.

    Is the $83 upgrade to 3060ti worth it? I believe i can sell the 6600xt for what i paid for it.

    I have a 9600kf and mostly play dota2 and aoe2 DE on a 1440p 165hz display. From time to time i do play farcry, shadow of tomb raider and gta 5.

    Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Longjumping_Collar37
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for PC building assistance in Seattle/Tacoma area

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 02:24 PM PDT

    Hello. I am attempting to help my 13 year old son build a gaming PC. Neither of us knows much but we are learning together and it's been a good bonding experience for us up until recently. Unfortunately we haven't been able to get the thing to work despite spending the last 2 months "debugging/toubleshooting." We built the PC using pcpartspicker to select the components and everything is listed as compatible. We have disassembled the entire thing, re-seated the CPU, GPU and RAM sticks and storage. The RAM sticks and GPU appear to be getting power because the LEDs on them glow when we power the PC on. The case fans and CPU cooling unit also have power and the CPU itself heated up to 90 degrees (powered on briefly without the CPU cooler installed) so I expect that is also getting power. But nothing comes up on the monitor no matter what we do. My son spent his entire life savings up to this point (over $2,000) and is convinced it will never work. Morale is low. I am looking for a reliable and honest PC builder who can just finish the damn thing and get it working. We are well past the point of wanting to do any more troubleshooting. If anyone in the Seattle or Tacoma area has recommendations for someone who could get this thing working for a reasonable fee please share. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/geo-jake
    [link] [comments]

    is it better having less phases with higher amps or more phases with lower amps? What is each combination good for?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 09:15 AM PDT

    Summing it up: Please, help me choose between:

    Gigabyte Aorus Ultra (Z690 DDR5): The VRM is 16+2+1 (SPS 105A)

    MSI MPG Force Wifi (Z690 DDR5): The VRM ia 18+1+1 (75A)

    I think SPS means Smart Power Stage and would be a feature of the Renesas power controller. Which is the same in both boards, by the way. So that shouldn't be a difference. Please, correct me if wrong.

    My plan is using at first a 12600K processor, but in a couple of years, upgrading to a demanding processor like i9 or so of the 13rd generation when it appears and its price goes reasonable.

    I guess I'm splitting hairs and each board would be more than suitable for any foreseeable processor like that, but I'd like to be sure and to understand the difference. What are the extra phases good for? and the extra Amperes?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mareram
    [link] [comments]

    Best bang for your buck 1080p monitor

    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 10:22 AM PDT

    What is the best bang for your buck 1080p monitor (AMD Freesync) in your opinion? I have my eye on this one atm: Alienware 240Hz Gaming Monitor 24.5 Inch Full HD Monitor with IPS Technology, Dark Gray - Dark Side of the Moon - AW2521HF

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Hubriz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel