• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, January 15, 2021

    Home Networking Xfinity is the bain of my Existence

    Home Networking Xfinity is the bain of my Existence


    Xfinity is the bain of my Existence

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 06:50 AM PST

    I logged in to pay me internet bill when I saw Xfinity Internet now comes with 1.2 Terabytes (1,229 GB) of Internet Data in a month. You can do a lot with 1.2 TB.

    Oh, really!!?? Looking deeper, I saw Starting January 1, 2021, we're introducing a new 1.2 Terabyte (TB) (1229 GB) Internet Data Plan for all Xfinity Internet customers. Those not on an Unlimited Data plan and use more than 1.2 TB of data in a month will be charged for each additional 50 GB block.

    I hate...

    edit: *bane

    submitted by /u/soiled_knickers
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on new construction home wiring. ~1700 sqft, single story.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 06:10 PM PST

    I'm having a house built this summer and wanted some advice on how I should have them do the wiring. This is the floor plan, it's a single story house approx. 1700 sq ft. It comes standard with 8 runs of cat5e, but I have the option of paying extra and adding more runs and upping to cat6/6e.

    I'm thinking one drop to each bedroom, 3 or 4 each to the living room and den, and one more to the ceiling between the living room and kitchen for a WAP that's in the center of the house. I'm also thinking about having them terminate everything in either the den or the crawlspace (leaning toward the den so it's more accessible). Would setting it up this way be good? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/travellingTulugaq
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any security benefits to using a big expensive commercial or prosumer router for basic internet traffic like browsing vs setting up a virtual router on the same machine you're already using? What about setting it up on a raspberrypi? Does that only save cpu resources and memory?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 07:39 PM PST

    Curious to understand if there are security benefits to big expensive routers for basic internet traffic

    submitted by /u/Suspicious-Carpet-89
    [link] [comments]

    Connect an access point using powerline or just use a mesh network kit?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 07:25 PM PST

    Hey,

    So I'm not able to physically wire ethernet cables around my house but I have had some luck with powerline. Was able to get 200 Mbps speeds with a 400 Mbps plan.

    So I have a fairly big house (~3,500 sq. ft) but 100% coverage is not a top priority as most of the internet usage is on the main floor where the router is, and upstairs at the bedrooms (which have not had issues with speed/connectivity).

    So my possible plans:

    Plan 1:

    Buy Archer AX50 Wifi Router and later, maybe 3-6 months from now get a powerline adapter with some sort of built in access point (if this exists?) and connect it to the wifi router using powerline technology.

    Plan 2:

    Buy Archer AX50 Wifi Router and later, maybe 3-6 months from now get a wireless access point(s) from Ubiquiti and connect them to the wifi router using a powerline adapter.

    Plan 3:

    Buy some budget dual-band mesh network kit, maybe the Deco M5 and either leave it as that, or maybe in 3-6 months use powerline adapters to create a wired backhaul for the satellites in the mesh network.

    Side Question:

    • For Plans 1 and 2, I should still be allowed to transmit wi-fi signal from both from wi-fi router and the plan's respective access points, correct? For example, for Plan 1 would I still be able to transmit wi-fi signal from both my wi-fi router and the powerline adapter with access point built in? If so, would my wireless devices (e.g. my smartphone) be able to seamlessly interact and connect with both devices without any issue? For example, if I were to move from downstairs, where the wi-fi router is, to upstairs where the other access point would be (whether that would be a powerline with built in access point or a separate Ubiquiti access point), would there be any drop in connection or anything?

    I'm leaning towards Plan 1 or 2, because I'm mainly not sure how budget/low end mesh network will perform and plus the budget mesh network will run on wi-fi 5 vs. the archer ax50's wi-fi 6.

    If you've made it this far, thank you. Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/FitB0i
    [link] [comments]

    Nighthawk R6400v2 - Downloads from all devices on 5G cause LAN connectivity to 'drop' then return after roughly 30 seconds

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 07:05 PM PST

    This has been an ongoing issue that seems to have gotten worse. Initially, it was just downloading certain games from the Epic gamestore. Then it was on other devices like my Switch. Using the 2.4 band (or throttling to about 20mbps) seems to keep the network stable. I live in a 5 unit apartment and the congestion is considerable but I have no issues streaming/etc.

    I've upgraded to the most current firmware but debating reverting to stock to see how it goes.

    I'm unsure what to do with this issue.

    submitted by /u/Sherezad
    [link] [comments]

    Recently installed a switch to hardwire my Xbox and seeing incredible lag

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 02:06 PM PST

    Current set up,

    From my router I have an 8 port (4POE) tp link switch, 3 50 foot Ethernet cables are run through my attic to my office 2 cat5e 1 cat 6 All of that is run to a wall plate where the connections take place.

    Right now I have my Xbox plugged into cat 5e because I don't have a small cat 6 cable to hook to the wall plate

    I am seeing unreal lag for a hardwired Xbox, ping is over 300, 10-40% PL, however my DL/UL is phenomenal (250d/30u) anyone know how to fix?

    submitted by /u/jmholmes2323
    [link] [comments]

    Will WiFi mesh solve my WiFi dropouts problems?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 03:55 AM PST

    Hi Reddit,

    TL;DR: My D7000 router keeps dropping connection and it's hard to work like this. Is Linksys Velop likely to solve this, considering that I can't run the wires instead (rental property)?

    I've recently moved into a medium-sized UK home, approx 1300 sq.ft, with brick walls. It's a residential area, so WiFi interference is quite high - my PC picks up 5-6 another hotspots.

    My internet speeds from ISP are 60 Mbps/15 Mbps, provided via ADSL modem and measured when connected to the router via ethernet.

    I immediately started having problems with my WiFi connection dropping out randomly. When I'm working in my home office, connection would freeze and reconnect in 1-5 seconds randomly, but sometimes I'll start to have this happen every 10 minutes for an hour or so. I'd also get random ping increase from 13ms to as high as 100-200ms, which really messes up with my work. Speed is not as big an issue, but I'd usually get about 15 out of my 60 Mbps upstairs where my home office is. I currently just ran a ethernet cable on the floor and everything is rock solid, but somebody will trip over it soon.

    I rent the place, so running the wires through wall is not an option, unfortunately.

    I tried the generic Zyxel router that came from provider, I tried a Netgear D7000 router (with latest official firmware) that worked fine for me in my previous flat (but I could connect my work PC with a wire), and I tried setting up a TP-Link router on DD-WRT in client mode upstairs in hopes to have a more stable reception. No dice - connection drops.

    I'm a bit wary of sinking £200 on a WiFi mesh system if it's not going to solve my particular problem of connection dropouts. I consider Linksys Velop Tri-band system, but I really wouldn't want to end up with the same problem but £200 down. How likely is this solution to solve my problem? All I want is my 60Mbps/15Mbps, 10ms ping and no sudden drops.

    submitted by /u/a-lagopus
    [link] [comments]

    Best router for large home (3000 sq ft with partially finished basement) and Spectrum 400/20?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 04:38 PM PST

    I've been a little overwhelmed about what to get, I've read Netgear nighthawk is a great choice but there's so many different models (wifi 5, 6, etc.) and then there's mesh wifi like Orbi but some say nighthawk is just as stable with faster speeds... Does anyone have experience with a similar situation and what works best? I'm mainly using a PC to game/work and casual PS4, Xbox gaming/watching netflix. Thanks

    submitted by /u/throwawayhousestuff
    [link] [comments]

    Netgear N600. File transfer on ReadySHARE exceptionally slow.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 07:50 PM PST

    Tried moving my movie library over from my computer to an external HD and it's not having any of it. The transfer speed is in the kB range or just not copying at all.

    submitted by /u/perhasper
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Windows software to monitor home internet usage per device IP address. I want to see who in my family has been using the most.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 07:48 PM PST

    Home has a netgear switch. Source devices include: PCs, laptops, iPads, iPhones, Smart TVs.

    submitted by /u/cheechuu
    [link] [comments]

    TP Link Omada environment or Unifi for 2 building home use?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 07:39 PM PST

    Hi all,

    Ive been planning on going with Unifi but tp link offers alot of cost effective alternatives to ubiquiti. I wanted to know if you any of you have experience with either or recommend either.

    Both offer what I want to buy"

    - Switches with 10gigabit sfp ports uplink and poe (tp link option is like 1/3 of Ubiquiti's and has 2.5g ethernet ports, $200-$300)

    -In wall APs (TP link is cheaper but Unifi is alot better)

    -Gateways (I heard both are decent but the udm pro is infamous for its issues)

    -Vlan (From my understanding, Unifi has better VLAN functions)

    I have had older products from both brands, both are are easy to use (unifi more user friendly) but the issues i keep reading with ubiquiti kinda scares me (not much support, and quickly discontinued products).

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/Bobbymanyeadude
    [link] [comments]

    Help / advice - replacing Verizon Fios quantum gateway router

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 07:24 PM PST

    Hi there! Hope you're able to help / lend me some advice:

    We moved into our house about 4yrs ago and signed up for Verizon FIOS and have been renting their Quantum Gateway router ever since. (I know -- biggest waist of money! We've paid over $500 renting it when it''s only work about $100. Ugh, so wish I had done this sooner.) So, needless to say, I'd like to buy a router to replace it so I'm not chained to Verizon's rental fees anymore. what router would you recommend? I don't want old technology, but I'm looking to spend under $100, maybe $150 if I can get work to pay for it. And what about regular router vs a mesh system?

    A few other things that might help to know:

    • It's just my husband and me. We're both working from home for the time being and so we have about 11 devices on our network: 4 computers, 2 kindle paperwhites (not the tablet type, just the e-readers), 2 iphones (6 and 6s), 1 old roku that only uses the 2.4ghz channel, our alarm system, and a printer.
    • When I'm working, my computer is no more than 15 feet from the router in the same room diagonally. (I'm sitting on the couch and the router is diagonally across the room with nothing in between.)
    • Like a lot of people, I've been working from home during the pandemic and as a result have a fair amount (6 -10 / week) of video calls via Zoom. I've been having delay issues for a while, but in the last 2 - 3 months things seem to have gotten worse. I called Verizon and they said the ONT and router are working just fine according to them. And when I did a speed test from my work laptop it's on par with the plan we pay for. (We have the 150/150 plan, internet only.) Because I want a new router anyways, I'm hopeful to find something that might help this issue. (And if it doesn't I'll troubleshoot some more.)
    • Wifi upstairs is choppy. FaceTime from my phone or computer while upstairs always lags.
    • We don't have any Wifi 6 devices so I don't think it would be worth it to go with technology that new.

    I was looking at the TP-Link Archer C80 (https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c80/), which is on sale at Target right now, but maybe that's already old technology. Not super set on TP-Link. When I used to have comcast/Xfinity, I always had Linksys routers. Not super fond of them, but maybe I just had crappy/cheap ones. I saw someone else mention D-Link DIR-878 or DIR-882 which provide 4x4 MU-MIMO support. Is MU-MIMO support better than a mesh network?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/iCarriedaH20melon
    [link] [comments]

    Router(s) suggestion

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 07:15 PM PST

    I live in a decent sized town home and the modem is in my office on one side of the place, upstairs. The t.v is at the opposite side, downstairs.

    Also, I need three separate networks. 1 for personal home computers, 1 for work and 1 for IoT devices.

    My plan was to get two routers, if each had a guest network then I'd have a total of 4 networks to play with.

    In addition, do they make routers with directional antennas?

    Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/JustClickingAround
    [link] [comments]

    Is an edgerouter 4 worth $80?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 07:14 PM PST

    some dude's selling it for $80, would that help with my bufferbloat for gaming?

    my speed is 120Mbps down and 5 up.

    submitted by /u/nutsackhurts
    [link] [comments]

    Folks, is it necessary to disconnect the RJ-45 connector from the lan cable before I pull it through a conduit? AMD also if I keep it on what home made lubricant would help ? I’m pulling it one floor. I don’t want to remove connector as I’m not expert

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 03:13 PM PST

    I need to better my connection but my router is too far to use a lan cable.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 06:52 PM PST

    So basically title. I know there's a something called an internet bridge but i also read that bridge becomes the whole new wifi point rather than the original router? What do i do here as i also don't really know how to set anything up.

    submitted by /u/aligreaper19
    [link] [comments]

    7 split cat5e cables in the basement, 7 coax cable jacks in the house. Coincidence..?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 06:47 PM PST

    Hey! I'm super unfamiliar with home networking so I'll probably refer to things by the wrong name. Sorry up front.

    We moved into our house 1.5 years ago. When we moved in the cable company installed our 2 in 1 modem/router on our main floor, above our fireplace, behind our TV. I know for a fact the previous owners had it in the basement. Still located in the basement are 7 cat5e cables with the ends cut off and divided into their 8 different colors with wire nuts on the ends. Throughout our house we have 7 coax jacks located in various rooms.

    So my questions are:

    Is there some way to test to see if those coax jacks are hooked to the ethernet cables in the basement? If so, what is the cheap way to test it?

    If they do work for internet, what would be the best way to set up our network to have wired internet in each room?

    submitted by /u/clementcj
    [link] [comments]

    Using a second, hardwired, router to extend my wifi network?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 06:33 PM PST

    I have a Motorola MG7540 as my modem/router in my living room hooked up to my entertainment system. I've run a cable from that all the way to the other side of my long apartment to my home office machine that I also use as a plex server. The issue is that in my office and my bedroom I get basically no wifi.

    I got a second router for free, a TP-LINK Archer C20. My question is, is there a way I can use this second router to expand my existing network so I can blanket the house in wifi and still have the computer on the same network as my TV for plex? Or is there something else I can buy to achieve this?

    submitted by /u/BeseechThis
    [link] [comments]

    Thinkcentre 820 sff

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 06:31 PM PST

    Hi, is this old $25 i3 3220, 4gb, 1tb hdd, dvdrw for simple home media/file server/nas (2hr/weekdays, 12hr/weekends) instead of buying an old NAS $133 or using my i5 4690 gtx970 gaming desktop or my mini gpd win?

    It has 1xsata3 and 2xsata2 and Esata. Planning to put 2 to 4 8tb hdd.

    https://carousell.com/p/1062800636

    http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/withdrawnbook/M82.pdf

    submitted by /u/djtron99
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing Nighthawk With Standalone Router

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 06:01 PM PST

    So I have a 3 year old Nighthawk AC1900 that suddenly isn't very reliable. It has to be reset every 20-30 minutes. Instead of replacing the whole thing, I'm considering getting an EdgeRouter or Unifi USG and converting my nighthawk to an AP only to see if it can handle just being an AP and perhaps I can squeeze some more life out of it.

    So my question(s) is this:

    1. Does anyone think this is a horrible idea?

    2. Currently my modem and nighthawk are in one room and my switch is in a closet which is fed through wall jacks. If I wanted to keep the EdgeRouter (or USG) in the closet, could I feed the modem directly into the switch and plug the router into the switch? I'm a bit of a networking noob, but plugging the modem directly into the switch that is also connected to other machines, the AP, and router doesn't seem right. What's the best solution for that? Second switch to isolate the modem to router connection from the rest of the network?

    Edit: Question 3: Does it sound reasonable that my nighthawk is starting to suck after 3 years? I was hoping to get 5 years out of it.

    submitted by /u/olb1ue
    [link] [comments]

    Ookla speedtest vs Nighthawk router app speed test- Which is more accurate?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 06:00 PM PST

    I have recently been having issues with my network connection randomly freezing or disconnecting, so I upgraded to 400mbps (premium package). When I run the Ookla speedtest I get results back for 400+ however when I run the Nighthawk app speedtest, it reports only 200ish. Which one of these is more accurate?

    submitted by /u/JawaJamboree
    [link] [comments]

    EAP245, Ubiquiti AC-Lite, or something else?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 05:49 PM PST

    Ive just recently tried an AC-Lite and was not happy with its range. I picked up an EAP245v3 and it has a bit better range and I have no problem with it so far, though the Omada controller is pretty terrible compared to Ubiquiti.

    Is there any alternatives I should be looking at? Not super happy that TPLINK is a Chinese company.

    I need mesh support in the future, running a PFSENSE box as the router.

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/technica-
    [link] [comments]

    L2TP & forwarding ports for my PS5

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 05:08 PM PST

    I'll try to explain this as best I can. I have 4G internet with a 4G router, the network I'm with will only give NAT type 3 on the PS5 as it has a 'double NAT' to get through. There is no way to change my NAT settings through the provider. However, I've read that if you find a VPN with 'L2TP' supported, you can get around the NAT settings and open the ports needed to game on the PS5.

    I've set everything up through my router settings and enabled L2TP with the settings ExpressVPN give on my account. I've checked and I now have an IP address through my router with the VPN. However, the ports that I try to open are still not opening (I checked through my PS5 & portcherker.com)

    Anyone have any idea how I can finally break through this? It's bugging the life out of me!

    submitted by /u/Sessel1239
    [link] [comments]

    Is zigbee built into router a good idea?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 01:02 PM PST

    I noticed one of the tp link mesh routers has zigbee built in as well

    I'm thinking of buying this system for a nephew and family (4) ,that has a pretty big home and just starting out in home automation

    Is having zigbee built in a good idea?

    submitted by /u/MinerAlum
    [link] [comments]

    Help me improve my home networking (router, NAS)

    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 12:55 PM PST

    Hi,

    I'd like to upgrade my current network setup and need some suggestions.

    I'd like to start from the router because is the one provide by my provider (France orange) and it is connected via the optical fibre to my apartment:

    Router Sagemcom LiveBox3

    The router is connected via cable eth to Raspberry Pi 2 with

    Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-1025-raspi armv7l)

    and the following services:

    • Wireguard
    • PiHole

    It is also connected via eth cable cat7 to a NAS that I built on top of an Odroid HC2 and a 6gb WD Red hard disk

    NAS Openmediavault Debian Stretch Armbian Linux 4.14.150-odroidxu4

    The following services are installed using docker:

    • Heimdall
    • Plex
    • FreshRSS
    • Portainer
    • Transmission

    All the above devices are connected via cable to the router and all the other devices are connected to the router via wireless.

    I don't have the possibility to connect my MacBook via cable to the NAS because it is not possible to extend a cable from my studio to the living room and the performance are really poor.

    To give you an idea, some measurements with iperf3

    Macbook → NAS (wireless)

    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate [ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 24.6 MBytes 20.6 Mbits/sec sender [ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 24.2 MBytes 20.3 Mbits/sec receiver 

    RasPi → NAS (wired)

    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr [ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 112 MBytes 93.7 Mbits/sec 0 sender [ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 111 MBytes 93.4 Mbits/sec receiver 

    I'm willing to spend some budget to improve my home networking and this is what I was thinking for the router:

    • Change the router with something more powerful in terms of coverage but also that cannot be used by my provider to spy on me (even if I change the DNS the router is always using Orange DNS; tested this with www.dnsleaktest.com); I was thinking a GL-2200 Velica but not sure about it
    • I'd like to get rid of the Raspberry but I want to use Wireguard for the VPN and I'm looking for a router the support it (the GL-2200 support it)

    About the NAS:

    • I'd like to install pinhole and the other services on the NAS but with the current setup it is really hard sometimes to find the right docker images for ARM and I always have to compromise and solutions are not stable;
    • I'm willing to build or buy a NAS that can have really good performances, but I'm struggling to find something that can fit my needs
    • I use the NAS to mainly backup pictures (RAW) but even a backup of couple of Gb is a PITA, so the one I'm going to buy/build should be hove performance
    • I'd like to install docker to use services but also experimenting with VMs
    • It should be silent as it will be placed in the Living room
    • Easy to connect via USB3/Thunderbolt to transfer huge backups

    Thanks all in advance!

    submitted by /u/DisposableDesigner
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel