• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, February 7, 2020

    Stupid girl fs up at tech support... But the girl was me Tech Support

    Stupid girl fs up at tech support... But the girl was me Tech Support


    Stupid girl fs up at tech support... But the girl was me

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 11:51 PM PST

    Hello folks, I hope it belongs here. I'm not in tech-support. This is a story from the other side. I goofed hard. Phone format, sorry

    Story: when I moved in my old apartment I got new internet. Nice. I was vacuuming and noticed that my router was blinking wild and there was no signal for internet. I checked my phone and computer and well, no internet. I checked the box, turning it off and on again the whole deal. I thought I was good with that stuff. I phoned tech support and was a little annoyed, but calm. They said something was wrong and they would send someone. The next day a guy from the support came to look at it. I was stating that nothing works blabla and he takes a look (tg= tech guy, me)

    Tg: (takes ONE look) it isn't plucked in.

    Me: what? It blinks!

    Tg: yea. But it isn't plucked in at the internet outlet

    Me:.... What?

    Tg:... puts cable in... Everything works

    Me: awkward silence

    Tg:.. You know we have to charge you because it wasn't an emergency...?

    Me: *nearly crying of embarrassment * yes? I moved recently... Is it much?

    Tg: thinking shortly, sighs the cable was broken okay? I changed it, you don't have to pay.

    Me: really crying of embarrassment okay, thank you.

    ... Yea I nearly died inside. I think the story he will tell everyone from now on was pay enough. Yea I was stupid and annoyed everyone of tech support. I'm sorry

    Most of you guys do a great job! Have a nice day

    Tl;dr: I thought my internet provider was stupid but i was too stupid to take a second look and annoyed everyone

    submitted by /u/Sillabub91
    [link] [comments]

    "Getting What?"

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:51 PM PST

    So this older (early 60's) sales guy calls my direct line the other morning from some location at an event set up, conference, trade show...I don't know and I care significantly less. He's not supposed to call me directly (I'm actually the IT manager) he's supposed to call the helpdesk line, but he's flustered and he knows my number. Let's call him "Phil."

    Phil: "Hey, I'm here at (don't care) and I'm trying to get set up but I left my MiFi back at the hotel. I don't know if there is any public Internet. What can I do?"

    Me: "Well, your company phone has a hotspot feature so you ca use it as a hot spot, just like a Mifi."

    I then spend a few moments talking him through enabling it and so forth. He said he'd get back with me if there were any problems. Five minutes later I get a Skype IM:

    Phil, via Skype IM: "Are you getting this?"

    Me, via Skype IM: "Getting what?"

    Phil, via Skype IM: "I'm sending you a Skype message to see if the connection is working."

    Me, via Skype IM: "Huh. Not seeing anything Phil."

    Phil, via Skype IM: "Somethings isn't working. I'll call you back."

    Pause

    Phil, via Skype IM: "A-Hole!"

    submitted by /u/OldManTrumpet
    [link] [comments]

    Just come into the store pretty please

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:35 PM PST

    I'm not too sure if this is allowed because while I do work in IT, and this is a story, I didn't actually get to help the customer out because he was too stubborn to let me get that far. So please remove if this isn't Kosher.

    This actually just happened, so that's cool I suppose.

    A little background: I work in a small-ish computer company (150 or so employees) that has a few actual storefronts where we sell and fix computers. We have lifetime warranties on our computers so a customer can get anything they want fixed for free, forever. Our costs are obviously a lot higher than other computer retailers for that reason (I still think we are astronomically priced, but I can't change that). Anyway, a **$Customer** brought their computer home early today and has had problems ever since then. However, I don't even truly know what problems they were having because of the interaction below.

    **$Customer** calls into our store a few hours after pickup

    **$Employee 1**: Hi this is $employee 1, how can I help you?

    **$Customer**: I need some help with a couple things that we didn't go over in the store before I brought this home. Can you send someone out to my house to help me?

    **$Employee 1**: I'm sorry sir, we cannot send employees out for house calls due to our company insurance. You are more than welcome to either bring your computer back to the store so we can help you out, but you also should be getting a call today from our phone support team to make sure everything is going ok. They can also help you out then.

    **$Customer**: Ok, thanks.

    -A few hours later-

    **$Customer 1** calls in again.

    **$Employee 1** happens to pick up the phone again.

    **$Customer**: I have not received a call yet and I am still having issues. My DVD tray isn't working now either!

    **$Employee 1**: I'm so sorry for that sir. You can come back to the store-

    **$Customer**: I am **Not** coming back to the store. Now send someone out here.

    **$Employee 1**: We cannot do that sir, but our phone support should have called already so I will reach out the them and make sure that they give a call as soon as they can.

    **$Customer** *hangs up*

    -2 hours pass-

    **$Customer** calls back

    **$Me**: This is -company-, my name is dwightsabeast. How can I help you?

    **$Customer**: I BOUGHT THIS COMPUTER EARLIER TODAY AND NOTHING ON THIS DAMN MACHINE WORKS. MY INTERNET DOESN'T WORK NOW. MY DVD TRAY DOESN'T WORK. I WAS SUPPOSED TO GET A CALL AND HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING. JUST SEND SOMEONE OVER HERE. *hangs up*

    This is the first time I had heard about or from this customer. I looked up the number that just called us, cross reference it in our sales system and find out who the customer is because I never got a name. I send an email to our phone support team and tell them that this customer needs some help ASAP. I get a reply within 20 or so minutes letting us know that they're on it.

    **$Customer** calls in again right as I send that email to phone support.

    **$Employee 2**: Thanks for calling -company-. This is $Employee 2, how can I help?

    **$Customer**: Hi, I've been waiting for a call for someone to help me with my computer but if I could just have someone come out to my house that can get this thing set up for me, I am more than willing to pay.

    **$Employee 2**: I'm very sorry sir but we cannot do that. It is against company policy and our insurance company will not allow us to do that.

    **$Customer** continues to argue that someone should make a house call because he will pay them.

    **$Employee 2** lets the customer know that phone support just tried to call him but that he is more than welcome to come into the store so we can help him out.

    **$Customer**: I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR COMPANY MAKING PROMISES THAT MY COMPUTER WILL HAVE NO ISSUES AT ALL. I SEE OVER 200 PEOPLE A DAY AND WILL MAKE SURE I TELL EVERYONE THAT THEY SHOULD NEVER GO TO *THAT PLACE*, *and then hangs up*.

    I receive a couple more emails from our phone support team that the customer demands a house call and that he is willing to pay. They let me know that I should call him.

    **$Me**: Hi sir, this is dwightsabeast from -company-. I heard from my phone support team that you are still having some issues and would like to try and help you out.

    **$Customer**: Yes. I would like someone to come out to my house and fix my issues for me.

    yes, he did ask for a house call this many times after being told no every single time

    **$Me**: Sir, I have already told you that we cannot do that. If I send an employee out to your house, they will be fired and I will be fired.

    **$Customer**: I don't care, you need to do whatever it takes to get my computer fixed. If I have to end up coming into the store I charge $200 an hour.

    I have heard this exact phrase from other customer before and so I started to giggle a little bit because really, who in their right mind would think that they are going to get paid for their time when they come into a business. Giggling was probably a mistake and it's not very professional, but I couldn't help it.

    **$Customer**: Don't you dare laugh at me bud. I have gone to court over stupid shit like this before and have never lost. You won't be laughing when your manager is sitting in court with you asking how you could have simply fixed this situation by sending someone out to my house.

    **$Me**: Sir, I cannot help you if you do not come into the store. You have a lifetime warranty on your computer so this won't cost you anything. I'm sure we can fix these issues quickly.

    **$Customer**: How many times do I have to tell you I am not coming into the store. If I have to come back into the store I will be charging you $200/hour for my time. I work over 60 hours/week and run 3 different businesses. I assure you my time is more valuable than that but that is all I will charge you. If you don't pay me then I will have to bring you to court.

    At this point I'm done trying to get the customer to come into the store so I can fix whatever problems he's having.

    **$Me**: Sir, because you have threatened legal action, I will have to cut all contact with you and refer you to our attorney at this time. Have a good night.

    So tl;dr the customer ended up losing his only way of getting his computer fixed because he didn't want to spend some time to get his brand new computer fixed.

    submitted by /u/dwightsabeast
    [link] [comments]

    File Extensions

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:17 AM PST

    I just helped a user with the following problem:

    "I need to open some files in this program; they're XYZ files, but when I navigate to the folder where they're in, I can't see them"

    I ask for the user to navigate to the folder where they're in, using Windows Explorer, so we can see the problem. Maybe the user mistook the file type and that's why it isn't showing...

    The user opens the folder where the files are, and ALL the files have their file extension without a dot before them. Windows only sees "File".
    Turns out the user was renaming the files and erasing the dot.

    I explained the reason the dot exists there and we all went our separate ways.

    submitted by /u/atheeleon
    [link] [comments]

    One of us! One of us!

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 11:53 AM PST

    Sorry for the formatting and language. On phone and not an English speaker but those are just excuses. Feel free to judge me. Sorry for the long post with not much of content.

    Background: I'm not techsupport per say but I'm kind of a man in the middle. All the co-workers in the company come to me if they have any issues and if I can't help with my very basic understanding and a quick google search I'll ask our IT-provider.

    In roles: Me =yours truly C = co-worker IT = Deity on the phone

    The case: I was coming late to work after some delays and issues at home and after realizing my lunch was sitting in my fridge 50km away I thought to myself "What next?" As I stepped into the office a co-worker come to me with the news:

    C: Hey! One of our label printers is broken. Can you come to check it out?

    Me: Yea sure, what's wrong?

    C: It's not working.

    Me: Oh, ok, thanks.

    The printers usb was plugged to computer, power was on but it wouldnt print. You could get it to feed empty labels if you pressed the buttons on the machine itself but no print job from computer was getting through, just got stuck into list of printing jobs. I tinkered with settings for a while, admitted defeat and phoned the gods.

    IT: Hi! This IT-company, how can I help you?

    Me: Hi, this is Me from x-company, we have a problem with one of our printers.

    I briefly explained what I had tried and that I could see 3 different label printers in computers control panel under devices, but they all where marked offline/passive or something like that.

    IT: Yea they should be set to passive but there should be only one printer showing. Can you give me remote acces so I can take a look?

    She looked at the settings and devices for a while, removed extra devices and tried to print a test label. Nothing was printed.

    IT: Odd... Can you change another printer to its place so we can test if the problem is in the machine?

    I bring another one and proceed to look behind the problem printer to remove the cables and freeze for a good 5-10 seconds staring at the back of this apparatus.

    IT: Everything ok?

    Me: Yeeea... I found the problem. The printers usb cable is plugged to computer but not to the printer. Sorry, it seems like this is turning out to be one of those days.

    We ended the call and to my horror I realized: fuck, I've become one of them, Id10t

    submitted by /u/Chemical-Basis
    [link] [comments]

    Dev vs support - windows update

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 11:16 AM PST

    First of all, I'm sorry for my writing, english isn't my first language.

    Well, I used to be an outsourcer for a big company, my tasks were a mix of project leader, developer, and support for a call center system, that was until the client decided to contract me to give full support to that system (I'm beggining to think that was a bad idea).

    One day I received a notification from the guys responsible of the windows servers asking for names to validate the installation of security updates, after looking the list I noticed that all of them were from servers still in development, so I contacted the dev team to ask for their approval and the responsible for the validations.

    $me: Hey $devlead, the windows guys are asking for your approval to install windows updates on your servers and want to know who is going to validate the system

    $devlead: You have my ok

    $me: Aaaaand...

    $devlead: When are you going to finish the validations? Oh and the installation window must be after 10 pm and finish before 6 am because we already have one client connected to those servers and we don't want to affect the production.

    $me: Waiiiiiit... You're responsible of those boxes, someone of your team must be doing the validations.

    $devlead: Well, we don't have the technical knowledge (yes he said that) to do the validations, and we can't be on site that early on the morning, so, you need to do the validations, if you want we can talk to $boss and hear his opinion.

    I agreed with that and called $boss, after explaining him the situation and some negotiations, he agreed with both parties, so I was going to be doing the validations "only this time", the dev team should define the validators for next installments, they needed to be present on the validations on this one and the activities were going to be at 7:00 am finishing 8:00 am. So, on the day of the installation we had a conference with the user, and the validations took a little longer than scheduled.

    $me: Sorry for the delay, I finished my checks and everything looks allright, can you try entering the system?

    $devlead: Hello, this is $devlead, I'm still on the move to the office, how's everything going?

    $me (facepalming myself because it was 8:15 and $devlead was supposed to be in the office at 7:00): Hey $devlead, this is $me, I just finished and asked $user to begin his tests.

    $devlead: Nice, tell me if something happens.

    $user: Hey $me, I was trying to create a list and it sends me an error.

    $me: Well, we didn't touched the servers that affect that functionality, so it's not related to the installation, but what the error says?

    $user$: It says something about a layout

    $me: That error it's because the file you're using doesn't have the required layout for your list, have you checked it.

    $devlead: $user, can you check the file $me mentioned?

    $user: I've already done it, and it seems ok

    $devlead: $me, what can we do? If this continues we're going to rollback the installation

    $me: I already told you, those servers weren't updated, the issue is the file.

    After half an hour trying to convince them about the file being the issue, I received a call from $boss.

    $boss: Hey $me, $user boss called me crying about you taking too long to fix a problem with the updates, what's happening?

    $me: I already told them how to fix the issue, they need to check the file, and, they're really making a drama for only ONE client logged on the system?

    $boss: Yes, can you check it?

    I hanged the call, after a long sigh proceeded to open the folder were the file was allocated opened it (why I didn't do that from the beginning? I still don't know, maybe I had faith that $user did his job in a correct way), and then my suspicions were cleared, the file was completely empty, so, I returned to the conference.

    $me: $user, I sent you an email with the evidence of the empty file, can you check it again?

    $user: Let me see, ok, wait a moment, oh hey I copied another file and it's working correctly

    And that's how it ended that window, to date, I'm still blamed for those 45 minutes without operation, and everyone lived happily ever after (right?).

    submitted by /u/Ecurat
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel