• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, February 12, 2020

    Rant Wednesday! Networking

    Rant Wednesday! Networking


    Rant Wednesday!

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 04:04 PM PST

    It's Wednesday! Time to get that crap that's been bugging you off your chest! In the interests of spicing things up a bit around here, we're going to try out a Rant Wednesday thread for you all to vent your frustrations. Feel free to vent about vendors, co-workers, price of scotch or anything else network related.

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    to my ISP friends, how you doing after the Akamai/Modern warfare update yesterday?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:31 AM PST

    ouch is all i can say, my best guesstimate is that akamai tried out some egress peer engineering based on the pattern i saw on my transit pipes (after my akamai caching/peering had fully congested).

    submitted by /u/sea_turtles
    [link] [comments]

    Tutorial: Cisco/Juniper syntax highlight via SSH

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 06:20 AM PST

    Hello,

    I found a quite easy way to get Cisco, Juniper and more or less any vendor syntax highlight while working via SSH on a node. Example below with show run on a Cisco router:

    http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2020/07/3/1581517429-screenshot-2020-02-12-at-15-21-52.png

    This work by running a terminal inside Neovim. For Neovim, your terminal is a file, so neovim can apply file syntax highlighting. I know this sound tricky, but it works super well, and you can use it in your favorite terminal emulator for any language supported by neovim (I tested with Junos and IOS).

    Installation:

    1. Install Neovim. This does not work with regular VIM with my tests.
    2. Install a plugin manager for Neovim, suck as Vim plug: https://github.com/junegunn/vim-plug.
    3. Create the file ~/.config/nvim/init.vim with the following content: https://pastebin.com/BQcq9P2P
    4. Start neovim (nvim) and use the command :PlugInstall to install all plugins configured in yourinit.vimfile.

    You're all set. Now you just need to SSH to a device doing the following steps.

    1. In a terminal, start neovim: nvim
    2. Create a shell inside neovim with the command :term
    3. You're are now in a terminal inside a neovim buffer. You can use i and Esc to switch between terminal mode (where you can write like in a normal terminal) and normal mode (used to run Neovim command). From here, SSH to a router/switch/...
    4. Use the command :set ft=cisco to activate syntax highlighting. Replace cisco by junos for Juniper nodes.
    submitted by /u/Nakrule18
    [link] [comments]

    Monitoring Meraki SD-WAN Circuit and VPN status

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 12:27 PM PST

    Good day,

    Does anyone know of any platforms that monitor Meraki SD-WAN uplink status and VPN tunnel status. The Meraki dashboard visibility and alerting system is incredibly underwhelming and lackluster if you're managing a medium to large enterprise.

    Currently I am using (learning) python and the Meraki API SDK to provide insight to the status of our WAN uplinks, as well basic configuration changes. Unfortunately even with API I cannot find out the status of a VPN tunnel of which we have around 1100. Meraki says that feature is somewhere on a todo list.

    I am looking to build some overly homegrown, slightly complex alerting system using python and bash on a dedicated rhel box to monitor and send alerts based on the status of our network.

    Before I go all in on this, does anyone know of a monitoring application aka solar winds, nagios, ptrg, whats up gold, etc. that natively supports Meraki SD WAN via API or web hooks or something of that manner?

    We have almost the full solar winds suite but it doesn't recognize the Meraki MX devices, let alone monitor the VPN tunnels or uplinks beyond the basic interface SNMP stats which are not always sent.

    I, nor my current managers chose Meraki, but as it goes this is our current platform that we have to support.

    submitted by /u/Fckthealtrght
    [link] [comments]

    What is your client count and bandwidth allocation for your organization in 2020?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 01:08 PM PST

    We have around 10,000 faculty, students, and staff at our university. On any given day, we have 6,000 active wireless clients. We are currently supporting 5Gbps of internet traffic with some direct peering out alternative fiber links offloading the ISP bandwidth burden.

    What are you folks running in 2020?

    submitted by /u/Sixyn
    [link] [comments]

    What type of end is this?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 01:37 PM PST

    Has anyone seen an end like this? https://imgur.com/NfoQf5d

    At a factory the want to add a stand up desk and I seen a coiled cable above the area they want to add it. I went to check to see if it was live and seen this end I haven't seen before.

    It is 4 pair, but the tab is all the way on the side of the end.

    I'm about 400 miles from my office helping out for a staff member who has been out of health reasons. I don't have my tools with me. I'm going to see if I can't find some crimps and a RJ-45 end and just put a new end on it. And see if it is live or tone it back.

    submitted by /u/filbert13
    [link] [comments]

    TFTPD32 Server Downloads

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 03:36 PM PST

    We have been using Solarwinds TFTP to backup configs to a different server, but the installer/server 2016 combo appears to be having permission issues and I can't even get it to install running as admin. I'm not really expecting Solarwinds to service a free program, but did open a support ticket with them just in case.

    Since this is a new server I figured I'd check out TFTPD32 and tinker with that. It would appear all the links to download on the official page (bitbucket) don't work. Has anyone else ran into this or is the site just having a bad day?

    submitted by /u/bccruiser
    [link] [comments]

    Creating new 10 gig network

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 06:32 AM PST

    I am looking to implement a 10 gig setup. Currently everything is running on 1gb. MUST have 5- 9's up time. So i am looking to implement the 10gb in conjuction with the current 1GB and eventually switch everything over to new SAN and network.

    I have a VMware 6.7 3 host cluster. just focusing on one host right now. 4 iSCSI networks , 1 mgmt network and 1 vmotion network. Purchased a 2 port 10gb card for the host. 24 port Dell switch 10gb and Dell V3020 SAN with 10GB ports as well.

    Primary question (and please let me know if this is in fact NOT the primary question) can i run 6 networks (4-iSCSI, vmotion, and mgmt) networks, through vlans and trunking on the Dell switch, to 2 physical nics on my host?

    Basically can i through layer 3 routing, run 6 networks, iSCSI and Lan traffic, across 2 physical nics on my host? From what i am told, it can be done on the switch side, but can it be done on the host side using 6.7 vmkernal adapters? Can i run multiple vmkernal adapters on the same physical nics?

    I think i will need separate physical nics for each network i am running, i also feel that is best practice.

    Thoughts everyone?

    submitted by /u/chroniclifter
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco SG550XG 100% CPU utilization

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 06:27 AM PST

    Hi, I noticed this afternoon that my Cisco SG550XG switch's CPU is running at 100%. This switch has been in use for 2 years and I have not seen this behavior before. No topology or config changes for months. Does anyone know if its possible to pinpoint which process is responsible for the high CPU utilization? I cannot find any any commands that return process information (as was possible on other / older Cisco switch models). Any ideas would be appreciated!

    CPU utilization
    ---------------
    five seconds: 100%; one minute: 100%; five minutes: 100%

    submitted by /u/avdvyver
    [link] [comments]

    Connecting the office network to the VMware server network.

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 08:07 AM PST

    Hello,

    I have a 4-node vSAN ReadyNode cluster connected to dual Juniper QFX5100s in a virtual chassis (VC). The rack right beside that has dual Juniper EX3400s in a VC for the office network. Currently they are connected via a trunk with dual 1Gig ports in a LACP LAG.

    Would there be any benefit, besides avoiding STP, to change from a trunk to a L3 routed interface?

    Should I be increasing from two to four ports in the LAG so that each switch in the server VC has a connection to each switch in the office VC? We're not close to maxing out the current link, unless backups start running in the evening.

    For anyone else using QFXs, have you had to tweak the CoS buffer pools for optimal performance?

    Any other suggestions/tips are appreciated.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/BomarrOrder
    [link] [comments]

    Meraki switches and hybrid port configuration

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 02:58 PM PST

    We are looking to do a big switch refresh soon and I'm pretty excited at the prospect of upgrading our HP Procurve switches (V1910, A5500) to Meraki switches, but I'm also very discouraged by the fact that most of our Procurves have been setup with a hybrid port configuration, which from what I'm gather won't work with the Meraki.

    Frankly, I don't really understand what the logic was behind the hybrid port configuration in the first place as I wasn't involved with the initial setup, and I'm not even certain it's necessary, but untangling that mess seems like a bit of a nightmare as well, no?

    Is there a way to set up the Meraki switches to communicate with the existing infrastructure until it can all be upgraded and swapped out or is there a better way to tackle this challenge? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/kmartcult
    [link] [comments]

    Problem default route into a l3 vpn mpls ?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 02:14 PM PST

    Ok, my problem is that I have a interface that is part of a vrf "l3 vpn" and speaks eigrp between "CE and PE", and works fine, but now I need that is interface of the PE3 also be part to access the internet. My PE has a ospf process to do this,but my vrf interface cant be part of the ospf and eigrp in the same time...

    Resume :

    https://ibb.co/9wFyGM8

    https://pastebin.com/hgFwnbru

    submitted by /u/raikone14
    [link] [comments]

    IP addressing question

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 02:06 PM PST

    I'm getting ready to replace our old network security appliance (an ancient SonicWall) with something else (different brand). My concern is that over the years this network has been through numerous people managing it and none of them completely knew what they were doing so it's a complete mess.

    The network is 192.168.0.x/24, the Sonicwall is set to give out DHCP addresses from 192.168.0.[20-254], and while there are a bunch of devices with static IPs in the 1-19 range, there are also a bunch of things with static IPs assigned that are peppered throughout the range the Sonicwall is handing out DHCP addresses in. Somehow the Sonicwall gracefully manages this and doesn't (usually) try to give out addresses that are static.

    My concern is that the new appliance might not handle things as gracefully, so I was going to set the new network up as 192.168.0.x/23 so it had a range of 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254, and set the new appliance to hand out DHCP addresses in the 192.168.1.[1-254] range so they wouldn't interfere with any static devices in the 192.168.0.x range.

    Would this work, or is there any way it might cause unforeseen problems in the future? Or would there be a better way to approach this?

    Thanks!

    Edit: Just wanted to add that this is a small business network. We aren't currently using all of the 192.168.0.x range, but there is the possibility that some projects coming up in the near future could push us over the limit. I was trying to figure out the best way to migrate from the old Sonicwall to its replacement and plan for future expansion at the same time, while make everything happen as smooth (and hopefully painless) as possible.

    submitted by /u/TechieGirl81
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone using PowerBI for network health reports?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 09:40 AM PST

    I'm new to PowerBi and was wondering if anyone could share templates they have built related to network health reports.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/p3terd
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know that happened with integra last night?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 01:08 PM PST

    Lovely outage last night. Our two sites couldn't route through integra, but the rest of the Internet worked!

    submitted by /u/Trghpy00
    [link] [comments]

    2.4ghz Wifi Noise on Channel 6 with observed intermittent spikes on Channel 4

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 09:06 AM PST

    Greetings all,

    I'm a bit stumped on this one so I figured I might see if anyone else may have some ideas. I've got a new Cisco 9800-80 and DNA Center with Assurance. DNA is reporting that a number of our new APs are showing High Noise on 2.4ghz. When we look, virtually every one of these APs with High Noise is on Channel 6. These are spread out across three buildings with at least a few hundred yards between each of them. As I understand the terminology, Noise is going to be from a non-wifi interferer.

    We broke out our Ekahau Sidekick and observed a large intermittent spike but only on Channel 4 (actually, it shows on the graph slightly before the Channel 4 mark). This spike has been observed at each location so, on a hunch, I had my team go outside away from a building. The spike can still be observed at basically the same power levels at each of the outdoor locations they tried. The spike gets up to -50dbm or -45dbm. If I look at the waterfall view, this spike causes a red dot on this channel in a noticeable series.

    I'm not sure if this would be triggering the notice in DNA or not but it's the only thing I've found so far in the range of channels the wireless is using for 6.

    Anyone encounter anything like this before and figure out what it was and maybe how to fix it? I'd love to shut off 2.4ghz but we're not there yet... in a BYOD environment with residence halls, there are simply too many devices that still require it.

    Thanks in advance!

    *Edit*

    Screenshots of the live capture here

    https://s66.photobucket.com/user/Dotren/media/Networking/2-4%20noise%202.png.html

    https://s66.photobucket.com/user/Dotren/media/Networking/2-4%20noise%201.png.html

    Ugh.. photobucket is becoming advertising hell and ant-popup-blockerish. Might be time to look for another image hosting platform.

    submitted by /u/Dotren
    [link] [comments]

    Question regards multi and broadcasting

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 12:36 PM PST

    Hello.

    My employe gave me this exercise to train or look at my skills(i have different profession)

    I have computer, small switch and 2 devices. I need to make it work so that both devices work. So from one device to multiple should be multicast. I put those 2 devices on same multicast aadress with same port(sending and reciving). Now when im trying to connect this in our software i only get sending signal but not reciving.

    Im sorry this is quite confusing but its hard to tell it otherwise. Why it isnt reciving, is problem in the devices or in aadresses? Can i make it work via unicast? If so who should i put on sender and reciver end?(i remember someone saying sender is always my own ip and reciver is the device ip)

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/McMaceDiamond
    [link] [comments]

    Static or Dynamic

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 12:32 PM PST

    Hey everyone. I am in charge of a private network at my work. I currently have 35 to 50 computers all with different needs in a few locations in the building. The former IT guy had everything running with dynamic ip addresses. This is starting to cause problems because my boss now wants me to check to see if anyone is on the network thats not suppose to be. Apparently they were very relaxed about letting just anyone on.

    All computers are assigned with what room they are in and what workstation they are at. Example 5025-WS63.... I would like to have these all in order so it would make it easier for me to find and cross reference which computers are what.

    I am wanting to implement static ip's for all computers. With it being a small network, would it be beneficial or should it just stay the way it is.

    submitted by /u/PosingOwl
    [link] [comments]

    Have you ever replaced a nexus 7004 supervisor?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 11:56 AM PST

    I have tried to replace a n7k-sup2e in a nexus with 2 sup, but i have just a flashing red light status led

    submitted by /u/squartino
    [link] [comments]

    Versa Networks anyone?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 04:56 AM PST

    I'm playing around with Versa SD-WAN on my lab, anyone in this process to 'compare notes' ?

    submitted by /u/zlimvos
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco Voice Router Licensing

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 06:46 AM PST

    We currently have a 2921 with a UCK9 installed. As the router is getting a bit old we are looking for a replacement but are not sure about the license.

    Can we use any ISR 4300 series or 1100 series as a voice router and purchase the matching license? Or can the old license be transferred?

    submitted by /u/NazgulNr5
    [link] [comments]

    has any one done peap+mschapv2 with freeradius and jumpcloud ldap as a sevice

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:31 AM PST

    hi redditors,

    has any one attempted peap+mschapv2 auth with freeradius3.0 and jumpcloud's ldap aas, i am looking for some guidance with the same.

    my setup has freeradius installed on ubuntu, with users created in jumpcloud ldap.

    when attempting the peap+mschapv2 auth, i see the below error

    Login incorrect (mschap: FAILED: No NT/LM-Password. Cannot perform authentication)

    below forum seems to suggest jumpcloud doesnt support this option, has any one managed to get this working, any help is much appreciated.

    https://forum.netgate.com/topic/120913/freeradius3-openldap-jumpcloud-s-ldap-as-a-service/2

    submitted by /u/Miserable_Duck
    [link] [comments]

    Possible routing issues upstream? Can't figure out where my packets are going.

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:21 AM PST

    I have two sites that are using the same Fortigate firewall. There are two VDOMs and each VDOM has it's own Cradlepoint modem in IP passthrough mode. For each site, the modems are the only WAN connections. Both of the modems are on the Verizon network.

    Site 1 has been stable so far. Site 2 has been randomly dropping off and when it drops off, I can't reach the firewall through it, nor the management plane of the cell modem. When site 2 drops off, I can connect to site 1 and reach the management plane of site 2. From there, I can see that there is no outbound connectivity as well. Everything times out.

    The weird thing is that sometimes I can ping Site 2, but I can't reach the management planes of either the firewall or the modem through it or get non-ICMP traffic through. Sometimes its the other way around, where I would be able to reach the management planes or VPN in but I can't ping the IP. Sometimes I can ping the IP from one location but I can't ping from another. Sometimes I can send non-ICMP traffic from one location but I can't get it through from another.

    I tried doing a packet capture when I was able to ping Site 2 but not reach it with any other traffic, and I can see that the firewall is receiving ICMP traffic, but was not getting any of the other traffic I was sending its way.

    Does this sound like possible routing issues/filtering upstream? These sites are a few thousand miles away from me unfortunately, but I've had the field techs try the basic things.. Replaced cables, tried using different ports on the firewalls. Tried swapping the two modems out there. Same result. There aren't any error messages in the modems system logs.

    submitted by /u/ieeedot1q
    [link] [comments]

    Being Pulled in Too Many Directions?(Expert Certs)

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 06:33 PM PST

    Anyone feel this way? Now a days im not sure what to focus on anymore. I currently have my CCNP , wrapping up my AWS SA , and also doing a couple of SDWAN projects at work. What im not sure about is what to focus on next career wise. I feel like the networking field has been given so many different technologies that its become hard for network engineers to pick a career path or even a certification track to progress on after building a solid foundation. I was contemplating going down the CCIE path but then id be too focus on that and wouldnt be able to learn other things my job might require(cloud,sdn,security,automation). Are expert level certifications not the way to go anymore in terms of deep learning and progressing to expert level roles?

    submitted by /u/debug_all
    [link] [comments]

    ASR-1000x 10Gbe dual ISP redundancy config help

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 07:24 PM PST

    I am trying to prove a different configuration for my edge infrastructure for the company I work for.

    We have 2 ISPs that can offer up to 10Gbe for each

    Currently, we have 4 ASR-1000x which only allows 3 10Gbe interfaces in a redundant configuration

    I believe we have them in a complex configuration and would like to optimize the 10Gbe ports but still have redundancy. Also it seems that traffic favors one ISP over the other due to the cost that is advertised down the route.

    I also have Nexus 5Ks in between them too to create more complexity. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

    I have no certs to forgive my ignorance.

    submitted by /u/Andy2o3
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel