• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, February 11, 2020

    Linux Why is Linux Mint so popular and should I try using it?

    Linux Why is Linux Mint so popular and should I try using it?


    Why is Linux Mint so popular and should I try using it?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 08:50 AM PST

    I saw that Linux Mint was more popular than Ubuntu even, and I was curious about it. I've never really used Linux much, as most of the programs I use are Windows based and have no substitute on Linux. I mostly just play around with Linux, for the Terminal and VSCode, to practice simple coding things.

    I currently have Linux Mint and Ubuntu (with the Budgie DE) installed in Virtual Box. I haven't had the opportunity to try either of them out to their fullest capability, however. Despite having a pretty nice laptop, increasing the RAM, CPU, and Video Memory to the highest they can go/enabling 3D acceleration, the VMs are still extremely slow. I'm afraid it may give me a skewed perspective of Linux, as the animations are quite choppy and painful, whereas the UI, specifically in Budgie, looks like it should be beautiful.

    I want to dual boot one of these to try it out to its fullest. I might just end up going with Ubuntu Budgie, straight from their site, instead of Ubuntu with a Budgie DE over the top of it. I don't really know what the advantages are. But lots of people have encouraged me to use Linux Mint. To me, Linux Mint just looks like a strange windows clone. Everybody says that's why it's so good, because the transition is easier. But I do enjoy the "different" aspects of Ubuntu 18.04 and Budgie, even the big tile layout of software in Ubuntu with the search bar.

    I'm afraid I don't fit in with most Linux users. I really like a polished UI and things to look "good." So far, Ubuntu 18.04 and Budgie far outclass Mint in that regard. However, I'm willing to give either a try, but I don't know which I want to dual boot. I'm just hoping for some feedback on what you guys like about each one. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Elarionus
    [link] [comments]

    Shock Discovery: Windows May Well Be More Difficult To Master Than Linux

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 11:10 AM PST

    Yes. I've been using both non-stop since 2000, and I can attest that I will never master Windows. Neither will I ever fully master Linux, but when it comes to solving problems, I am fairly confident that I can sort out whatever issue I may have with my Linux box. With Windows, the problems remain obscure, and the solutions equally so. So often do you need to re-install Windows to solve what may well have been a minor problem. And then the other issue: the hard drive of your Windows system slowly filling up until there's no more space for the next upgrade; and that is effectively the end of Windows. Believe me, I've watched this happen with Win7, uninstalling everything until only the skeleton remained; and it still borked ("no space on hdd to upgrade"). Still don't know how to solve this.

    Linux, on the other hand, gives accurate error messages; a quick Google of the message will usually provide some sort of solution.

    Lastly, I am OS agnostic. Which means I will try any OS just for the adventure of it. So have I done dist hopping, OS hopping - yes even trying out Android versions for the desktop (such as Remix and Phoenix) - or FreeDOS, BSD, whatever. My only criterium is that the system runs without error messages. First message I see - you're out. So today I am using Debian, which gives NO error messages. It just works.

    So if your a noob and wondering about moving to Linux: relax, it's just an adventure.

    submitted by /u/uilspieel
    [link] [comments]

    Did I brick my USB drive?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 07:05 PM PST

    I used a 16 GB USB drive to install a fresh Xubuntu instance. I wanted to convert it back for general data storage and deleted the partitions with

    fdisk 

    created a new partition of the type "W95 FAT32" and wrote everything to the USB drive. Since then, I cannot mount it in Thunar and it is not listed in

    df -h 

    Did I just bricked my USB drive? If not, how can I save it?

    Edit:

    mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc1 

    solved the problem!

    submitted by /u/bc6ff3ec276f4c0825ab
    [link] [comments]

    Do i have to start a new terminal window after starting vpn?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 01:25 PM PST

    I'm using a Mac Mini to ssh into a Raspberry Pi (buster). I'm working my way through a tutorial on getting Private Internet Access vpn running on it.

    So, I start the vpn and, in that terminal window, I see that it is running, but (similar to a ping command) I can't enter more commands until I Ctrl-C which stops the vpn.

    Do I, after starting the vpn, open another terminal window and start a new ssh session? Or is there a way to say, "Hey, keep this running while I do other stuff."?

    submitted by /u/will5023
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to use Microsoft OneDrive in Manjaro Linux via Wine or via Windows 10 running in a VM? How would that work and how to manage that?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 12:30 PM PST

    I'm having some trouble making onedrive-abraunegg work and was wondering if it is possible to use Wine or Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine to do the sync (between my HDD and OneDrive). If it is possible, how would that work?

    The only thing I need is to sync my files back and forth (from the computer to the cloud and from the cloud to the computer). I don't mind having to run Wine or the VM daily when I want to do that sync, I just want something reliable in which I can trust my files to.

    Right now I'm considering this approach and, if that doesn't work, to give up on OneDrive for good and try Nextcloud. Leaving Linux and returning to Windows is not an option, as well as dual booting isn't.

    It is important to note that I want my files to be always available for me in that second HDD, not only via Wine or the VM running Windows.

    My setup is Manjaro KDE and further software in a SSD (in the main bay) and all my files in a HDD (in the second bay with a caddy).

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/CriptoRato
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu 19.10 refusing to boot up

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 02:30 PM PST

    Basically, Ubuntu fails to boot up properly and is just showing me a blank screen where no commands seem to work. I force shut down the laptop then try again. Only after 3-4 attempts it boots up like it normally would. This has started recently, so it wasn't there at the beginning (when I first updated from 18.04 to 19.10). I tried Boot Repair but no luck...couldn't figure out why on my own and I appreciate some advice.

    submitted by /u/HeadHunter5-0
    [link] [comments]

    share a screen online with someone e.g. Zoom, GoToMeeting?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 01:55 PM PST

    I'm collaborating with a few people on projects and presentations, and I would like to be able to share my Desktop in a presentation sort of like what I would do on Windows with GoToMeeting or Zoom etc. I have used Zoom on Windows, and it looks like Zoom offers a client for GNU/Linux but I have not used it yet. What are y'all using?

    submitted by /u/groutexpectations
    [link] [comments]

    Forticlient on Debian - installs ok, but doesnt launch

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 01:50 PM PST

    Hello,

    I installed the Forticlient according to following info:
    https://www.forticlient.com/repoinfo

    Everything went ok, a FC icon appear in the menu, but when I click on it, nothing happens, even after the restart.

    What am I doing wrong please? Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/tony_palmer
    [link] [comments]

    I messed up my Xresources colors. Is there any way to recover it from the terminal?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 01:45 PM PST

    I did an `xrdb .Xresources ` for an unrelated reason and realized the colors in my Xresources file were different from the ones I had normally been using. I still have a terminal using the correct color scheme and I feel like there must be some way to print out the colors that it's currently using. I've found color scripts on the internet which work but none of them print out the hex values. The one I'm trying right now is called terminal-colors which just prints the colored boxes.

    For reference I'm running Gentoo on a thinkpad T480 and zsh is my shell and st is my terminal. I have no command history because I recently deleted the history file for another unrelated reason.

    submitted by /u/Greedy-Republic
    [link] [comments]

    Dual booting windows with two harddrives

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 01:08 PM PST

    I'm not sure if the title is the right phrasing. The problem I'm having is that when I first bought my PC it came with two harddrives at 500 GB each. I want to keep one harddrive as Windows and turn the other into Linux.

    I've seen that my Windows drive path is /dev/sda4 and the Linux one is dev/sda5.

    From the video I've seen from Chris Titus Tech (Link) He goes to dev/sdb and uses that since that's the "secondary drive", which I don't have.

    I'm guessing it's because the Linux harddrive already is part of the Windows bootloader? Is there a way to release it from that, or is it a lost cause and I will have to buy another fresh harddrive?

    Regards!

    https://preview.redd.it/iedeer520dg41.png?width=1173&format=png&auto=webp&s=a66313bafd12289c1b1cd67441027eb2724cef3f

    When I choose /dev/sda in the upper menu and dev/sda5 in the dropdown menu and choose "New Partition Table..." it takes me to this. This has me really confused because it says I have 1TB size which I don't on a single drive. Another really weird thing is that I don't own a harddrive which it states in the dropdown menu at the bottom and there are no other options there.

    https://preview.redd.it/rc6loh164dg41.png?width=1173&format=png&auto=webp&s=1c79d4d81c0b0964181975868d222727aeea65c2

    submitted by /u/TFCrafter
    [link] [comments]

    [Plea for help] Mac+Nvim+LaTeX setup got me frustrated for a week. Pls Help

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 01:06 PM PST

    My sincerest apologies for doing such a low effort post as a low-karma n00b. But, the thing is, I don't even know where to start.

    I just want to somehow autocompile LaTeX to Pdf and edit it side by side in neovim. I can't for the life of me understand how to do it. I tried copying dotfiles, killing my self-esteem and red bull documentation reads, but I'm starting to suspect that I'm a neanderthal.

    TL;DR, Could you just give me a vimrc, or point me to some expository material(written for stupid people) to achieve my desires?

    Thank You, and sorry if I offended your time. May the stdio greps stay cosy.

    submitted by /u/loggedoutredditsucks
    [link] [comments]

    I don't see Arch in GRUB menu (UBUNTU)

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 12:50 PM PST

    I've installed ubuntu and then Arch. I've wanted to dual boot but when i get to the grub menu i only see Ubuntu, there's not Arch Linux option. What should i do. I've spent a whole day with my brain on fire trying to figure this out. Please help.

    submitted by /u/Z3ntr0
    [link] [comments]

    use relative path

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 06:37 AM PST

    Hey,

    Every time I want to commit some code to my github I have to specify the absolute path to the file I want to add even when the working directory is the directory said file is in.

    I dont want to add the directory to PATH. I know I can execute binaries with ./ but that doenst work in this case. How can I commit -m "<someMessage>" file, without specifying the absolute path?

    submitted by /u/greenleafvolatile
    [link] [comments]

    Fans keep spinning during suspend

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 08:29 AM PST

    Fan keep spinning during suspend

    Newbie here. Display and usb are turned off during suspend but not fans. I'm not sure where to start to fix this problem. Googling doesn't help me much. Anyone know how? Btw i use arch linux with linux-zen kernel.

    Spec:

    Cpu: Ryzen 1500x Gpu: Rx 580 nitro+ Mobo: B450 i aorus motherboard

    submitted by /u/random_bots
    [link] [comments]

    How can I clear the clipboard history of Clipman on Manjaro?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 07:40 AM PST

    I know that I can clear it though the GUI, but is there a way to do it with a command? Or maybe to delete/change the file where the information is stored?

    submitted by /u/Lif3Breath
    [link] [comments]

    How do I figure out iptables chains?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 11:24 AM PST

    Up until today, I had only seen linux machines utilize the 3 built-in iptables chains and it all made sense as they are somewhat self-explanatory. Today I saw a machine that had dozens of usermade chains. How do I figure out when these chains apply (the names given to them aren't helpful)? What happens when/if 2 or more chains have a conflicting rule?

    submitted by /u/-quakeguy-
    [link] [comments]

    Step 1, break source.list Debian

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 11:22 AM PST

    Hey guys. Having issues using apt-get update, apt-get install with things that should be in the default repos. can anyone help me figure out whats wrong with my source.list?

    # # deb cdrom:[Official Debian GNU/Linux Live 10.3.0 cinnamon 2020-02-08T14:56]/ buster main deb cdrom:[Official Debian GNU/Linux Live 10.3.0 cinnamon 2020-02-08T14:56]/ buster main # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify: #deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify: #deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main # buster-updates, previously known as 'volatile' # A network mirror was not selected during install. The following entries # are provided as examples, but you should amend them as appropriate # for your mirror of choice. # # deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main # deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main # deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main 

    Brand new to linux. Previous experience is limited to a couple semi-successful distro installs, clicking around and nothing further. Finally pushing myself to start learning. I have installed Debian 10 alongside Catalina & Win10 on my i7 MacbookPro 9,1

    submitted by /u/Difficult_Vehicle
    [link] [comments]

    Can not force scale

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 11:20 AM PST

    So I've been trying to run "spotify --force-device-scale-factor" command on Pop!Os but every time i run it, it opens spotify on the scale I enter and terminal gives me :

    [0211/211326.346934:ERROR:buffer_manager.cc(488)] [.DisplayCompositor]GL ERROR :GL_INVALID_OPERATION : glBufferData: <- error from previous GL command

    Terminal wont let me run any commands until i close spotify and then spotify goes to the previous scale setting

    submitted by /u/nik1087
    [link] [comments]

    Im kinda sick of windows

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 07:49 PM PST

    I've been using windows for all my time in pc/pc gaming, and I'm kind of sick of it.

    The reason that I haven't switch yet is because I want to play windows only games (like gta5), but I saw that you can run that in Linux, and I want to know what would be the best alternative for it and I don't know where to start.

    Like I want to feel familiar to windows (or user friendly), I want to play vr ( oculus rift), "windows only games" and also using it like a regular pc, doing word documents, browsing the internet, watching Netflix and I want to see what would be the overall the best Linux os.

    I've seen thing like the pop os, what other os would you recommend me?

    Thx you for taking the time to read this and helping me

    submitted by /u/DeadlyTracer
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t dual boot after moving windows to HDD and installing Linux on SSD

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:32 AM PST

    Recently I swapped my windows installation from my SSD to a partition on my HDD. On my now empty SSD I installed Manjaro XFCE. Manjaro boots fine but neither the boot loader nor bios acknowledges the existence of windows - although it does exist. Anyone know how I can solve this to boot into windows?

    submitted by /u/megabyte112
    [link] [comments]

    Have to add key to ssh-agent every time I reboot computer

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 06:34 AM PST

    Hi,

    After every reboot I have to re-add my ssh-key to the ssh-agent if I want to do anything with git. Is there a secure way to add the key to the agent automatically on boot?

    Cheers,

    submitted by /u/greenleafvolatile
    [link] [comments]

    The most easy-to-customize and easy on the memory distro/DE ?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 02:25 AM PST

    I am currently using Ubuntu 19.10 while it is not bad I can still feel Gnome is heavy on the resources (3 gig RAM intel i3 computer). As much as I'd love to customize (installing themes and icon packs) this only makes Gnome heavier. I wanna know if there's any easy to customize and modern looking distros while being easy on the memory. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Hot-Conversation
    [link] [comments]

    How can I install Debian without advanced display drivers?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 09:50 AM PST

    I cannot install Debian because it fails to deploy display solution for my monitor. On other computers the installation works fine but I'm having problems with this one.

    The deal is that I own this monitor : https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/

    It is the best monitor I ever used but it fails to get along with Debian installation. On Windows the installation goes ok it is a bit laggy after first bootup but after about 10 minutes Windows installs display dirvers and everything runs smooth.

    On Linux I can barely even install the system and if I manage to do it I boot into Grub command line without GUI.

    Anyone happens to know how can I get around this? I really like Debian and don't want to use Windows for anything anymore.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    submitted by /u/PGParzival
    [link] [comments]

    Init 0

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 02:59 AM PST

    Is init 0 a safe way to shut down the system, I am studying for RHCSA and found it handy to turn my VM off, does this safely close systemd

    submitted by /u/saujan121
    [link] [comments]

    18.04 wifi won't work

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 08:40 AM PST

    I have an intel 2723 (rev 1a) network controller and i cant connect to wifi. In the additional drivers section it says none are available. I've read that i would need to update the kernel, but idk how to do that if i cant connect in the first place. Please help.

    submitted by /u/johnnyo10
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel