• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, February 13, 2020

    Home Networking Spectrum says I have “to much service” to modem

    Home Networking Spectrum says I have “to much service” to modem


    Spectrum says I have “to much service” to modem

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 09:21 AM PST

    Hi all,

    When I bought my house I had to have spectrum run a new drop in to my house. Once the coax was in the tech mentioned I had "to much service" and slapped a splitter on there to run to my modem.

    What exactly does this mean? Ultimately I am looking to get extend the coax another 50ish feet to another room to house my setup.

    I'm just curious if I'm leaving speed on the table keeping that splitter in play.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Jacrispy44
    [link] [comments]

    New ISP won't let me gain access to port forward. What are they talking about?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 09:19 AM PST

    So long story short... My ISP is brand new. They just started a few years ago and have been distributing a fiber service to our local area. We jumped on it because they are cheaper than our previous service and they are 10x faster for the price.

    Here's where things get annoying. I can't host games, or run servers on my network. Connections always fail. I called my ISP to ask for password details on their router that they have for me and they have it locked. They say because of the nature of their network, they are unable to let me make changes and would have to do it themselves.

    I asked for details and they said it was something about limited IPv4 addresses and everything is controlled from their end and something about IP sharing and shit. I have no idea what they mean. Does anyone know why they would be operating in this way? I finally have the bandwidth to run game servers for my friends and do P2P stuff and I can't without jumping through hoops.

    submitted by /u/fluffygryphon
    [link] [comments]

    Problems after opening router ports

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 05:15 PM PST

    Greetings, as you see, I managed to get one port open from my router (WRT120N). The thing is that when I want to host a Server for file sharing, the others can't reach it, also, whenever I run an "Opened port check" from any website, it says it is not open, even though I proceeded correctly. Here are some screenshots that might help out

    submitted by /u/ZMaurixZ
    [link] [comments]

    Go-to router suggestion? Netgear R7800 or Unifi Dream Machine? Something else?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 06:59 PM PST

    Just moved into a new apartment with a gigabit connection through Verizon. I've been lurking here and see Ubiquiti is a popular brand, and their Dream Machine has had a lot of posts. I've found this other site, SmallNetBuilder, that has a ranking board of routers that places the Netgear R7800 at the top https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view

    What would you guys recommend? Something Ubiquiti or just a regular router that's compatible with ddwrt?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/slyyytr
    [link] [comments]

    Need Suggestions for Networking

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 04:17 PM PST

    Hello everyone. I've been thinking about my home network so long now that I'm dealing with analysis paralysis. I'm not really doing anything too crazy so I figured some of you have probably dealt with the same thing before

    My system will have 4 PoE cameras and 14 ethernet connections spread out across 6 rooms. So 18 total, with room to grow and a couple spares in case one cable fails at some point.

    My main issue is with the initial runs of ethernet to each room. Do I just run 18 individual runs from a PoE capable switch, or do I just run the 4 PoE connections and then 1 connection to each room with another switch. there?

    My initial thoughts are that running the 18 individual wires, while requiring much more length, will let me run to multiple walls within a room if I want vs running to one wall and then having other ethernet cables run along the floor. It also means if one cable to the room fails some day, I just use another one. If I just run 1 single cable, and it fails, I'm SOL.

    My main concern with the 18 individual wires is that means dedicating multiple feet of wall space in order to have enough jacks. Or do I just punch one hole and find a faceplate that doesn't have individual ports, but just a large hole (something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-1-Gang-Recessed-Cable-Plate-White-5081-WH/207161816) to shove all the wires through and only worry about faceplates with individual ports once I get into each room?

    I really want to keep everything hardwired if I can, especially the kids' stuff, the nas/entertainment, and our work offices, but just can't decide which route to take. I'm open to other ideas as well.

    submitted by /u/homenetworkhelp
    [link] [comments]

    Help with my WAN Ethernet connection configuration

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 09:01 PM PST

    I recently had the local ISP Change my internet connection from DSL to Fibre.

    They supplied a ONT that converts the Fiber connection into an ethernet connection, I also have a home phone service and TV service with this ISP.

    The ONT has a POTS Cable going to the wall for my home phone and in the DATA 1 port it is attached to the ISP provided Modem/Router (The device's label) Advance Wi-Fi Modem.

    The installer that set up the connection swapped my old ISP device for another one that he had it was the exact same model and everything. Ever since he swapped it, the wi-fi signal is been all haywire. As in internet on devices are taking turns sending requests through the router. My iphone loads web pages super fast and then sometimes slow while my laptop is loading a web page. I reset the modem from the back of the device. I held the reset button for alot longer than 30 seconds, due to the fact on the guide to reset it states the "Internet light on front will turn red" in fact mine did not turn red instead it flashed orange for god knows how long. It did reset but i do not believe it fully reset, and some of the configurations do not seem correct. I have resorted to getting a mesh wireless system that broadcasts its own SSID, cavet is one of the devices needs to be connected via Ethernet to one of the LAN slots and the other one can be moved. They are configured to set the ip settings via DHCP.

    The specific configurations I am unsure about is WAN IP Addressing.

    it states 1483 via DHCP and the boxes for you to enter Host name and Domain name its preflled with

    home as the hostname and the name of my ISP for domain. and IGMP Proxy configuration is enabled.

    Second in the ICMP settings page the option for IGMP Snooping is enabled but set to blocking mode, The maximum groups is set to 128

    and also the ICMP Data sources also 128.

    If anyone can help me figure out what these settings should be for my connection specifically the "Host Name and Domain Name" that would be very helpful. I have tried doing research but i am unable to find an explanation that helps me.

    Thank you for reading! (sorry for any spelling mistakes)

    submitted by /u/Captain_oviously
    [link] [comments]

    I have managed to acquire a Dell poweeredge r710

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 08:39 AM PST

    What are some things I can do with it

    submitted by /u/mister10percent
    [link] [comments]

    In which my dastardly laptop singlehandedly wreaks havoc on both my home wifi network and an unsuspecting local coffee shop with IPv6 somehow

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 08:05 PM PST

    I'm surprised how little information I could find online about this, given that I've now had this same problem with two different machines, on two different wifi networks. I don't know much about networking at all yet, so bear with me.

    I'm just going to start at the beginning because this is the most bizarre internet problem I've encountered so far. A while ago I started having issues with my wifi cutting out at home. It only started once I got rid of my GNOME desktop envrionment and started just using i3, if that's somehow relevant (running PopOS). Figured it was just Cincinnati Bell being spotty. (my router is a zyxel VMG 4381 b10a btw).

    One morning I went to a coffee shop to get some work done because the wifi was so spotty. Started getting the same issue there. Wifi went down for everyone in the coffee shop. They had to reset the router. I thought "no way, has to be a coincidence." No problems with wifi at work. Next couple days, I seem to be using wifi with no problems, until I connect an ethernet cable to my laptop. Wifi network immediately crashes for all devices in the house simultaneously.

    At this point I was pretty sure it was me causing the outage. But I use the wifi the next day with no problems. Try to start a VM and connect to network in bridged mode. Wifi crashes for everyone. Finally able to confirm that I'm the one causing the problem, I repeat this a few times and it's the same deal whenever I try to connect the VM. Wifi works fine if I disconnect my laptop from the network, but if I reconnect it, it might work for a while as long as I had kept it disconnected for a while before reconnecting but it would still intermittently crash, and would instantly crash when I tried to connect the VM. The router would just reset, and everyone would have to wait a couple minutes for it to start back up.

    The fact that my laptop was somehow taking down wifi networks was blowing my mind because I've never seen this happen or ever heard of it happening. After some trial and error, I finally narrowed down the problem. It's the IPv6. As long as I disable IPv6, no problems. I can connect the VM and everything is fine. Haven't had any problems since I told NetworkManager not to connect via IPv6.

    Today, I'm trying to install Arch linux on another computer. Turns out the DHCP client (dhcpcd) that archiso uses to connect to the internet (using ethernet right now) tries to connect over IPv6 first. As you can guess, this again is causing my router to reset itself. I just disabled IPv6 as per the arch wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPv6#Disable_IPv6) and now I'm connected and can ping a server just fine.

    So.... I guess my questions are just:

    1. Is this a known issue? Has anyone ever heard of problems like this happening with IPv6?
    2. Could it be a problem with my local ISP (cincinnati bell)? Should I call them about it?
    3. Does anyone have any clue how I could go about troubleshooting this more or figuring out what's going on? Because I'm not sure really where to look (like I said, I can't really find anything about this issue online).

    It's curious to me why these two machines have been the only ones to trigger this issue.

    submitted by /u/_-Thoth-_
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a problem here? (Ping Plotter Results)

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 03:47 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/RlMhZUo

    Hey guys, I'm no expert when it comes to this stuff so sorry if this looks like a stupid post. Anyways, in the picture above I used ping plotter and pinged to google and those are the results. I've done many pings over many days to different IP's, etc, and the results do not differ. There is always high latency on the second, third, and fourth hop. (Highest on second) I have also done pings through my iPad and same results. I've also looked on ping plotter's website where they have some common problems on display and what they mean, but no luck with that.

    So, if there is a problem, could you guys guide me on what to do? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this!

    Some specifics should it help:

    Router - CODA4582U

    Plan - 500Mbps download / 20Mbps upload with Rogers (Canada)

    submitted by /u/kinhvin
    [link] [comments]

    Powerline adapter disable/enable issue

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 07:28 PM PST

    I've a powerline adapter and recently my roomate got one as well which is slowing down my connection a lot, is there a way to dedicate the connection only to my adapter or disable his without him knowing ??

    submitted by /u/Alphaaaa95
    [link] [comments]

    WiFi 6 benefits to older devices?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 03:18 PM PST

    Hi, I've been searching for a while and I'm trying to understand if getting a WiFi 6 router will help with older devices (iPad 4th gen, Google Home, Hue lights etc.) from periodically dropping signal. I understand that WiFi 6 allows for many more devices to be connected at once but am unclear if that benefits only WiFi 6 devices or for all devices. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/pearbobber
    [link] [comments]

    How to approach managers about improving internet quality?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 12:05 AM PST

    I live in glorified dorms, two men per room, three rooms per apartment. 450 people in the complex. The complex advertises fast high quality internet, but nobody who's lived here in the last year can agree with that. Every apartment has an access point which leads back to a central complex router. Each room also has an ethernet port, however these ports do not work and the complex says they will not allow the use of a wired connection to the internet.

    The Wifi is horrible. I've lived in similar apartments in my town and none of them had this problem. Internet may not have been stellar during high traffic hours, but still more than serviceable. The connection in this apartment will 'flicker' on and off about a dozen times an hour during the day, and goes to about once every few seconds at night. The only time the internet is remotely usable is past midnight when most tenants are asleep. It's downright disgraceful, and seeing as the only people who are allowed to live there are college students, it makes it very hard to do school work given how much of it is online these days. I had to quit my work at home job because I couldn't use the internet.

    TL;DR The apartment complex advertises much better internet quality than is provided, and is significantly worse than other complexes.

    People grumble among themselves, but I'm not sure if anyone has approached the managers or the landlords. What would be the best way to go about this? I don't want to say anything that could be construed as a breach of contract.

    submitted by /u/wsdpii
    [link] [comments]

    Patch panel, different cables, some don’t work?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 06:16 PM PST

    I'm stumped with this one, I'm putting a small 12 port patch panel in my garage which has runs from all over the house, some cables are original and others I have pulled.

    Now all the connections work except ones that are connected by one brand of cable, oddly it sometimes works but only at 10/100.

    If I skip the patch panel and put a connector on the end, the cable works flawlessly. I've even double and tripled checked that both ends are 568B.

    I'm confused as to why it works one way but not in the patch panel?

    Update: Well great.... so somehow the three random ports I tested out of the 12 are junk (1,11,12) even though 2-7 are fine.

    I just tested this by using a scrap cable, punched it into port 11 and plugged it into the switch and my computer, eventually only connected at 10/100. So I tried port 10.... and the switch lit up green with gigabit and everything worked. So just to double check I punched it back into 11 and the switch went orange for 10/100....

    So time for a return.

    Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/Mopedmike
    [link] [comments]

    Problems With Game Streaming Services.

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 05:32 PM PST

    I have been trying a couple of game streaming services as well as steam link lately and I have get the message that my network is poor.

    I have a 300 MBps and according to my devices I have at least a decent connection. I have done speed tests as well and everything looks fine as well as check to see if the channel was congested and that looks fine too.

    I have just the equipment provided by the ISP and I have been thinking of replacing it a yeah, I was just wondering if there was a cause for his problem that maybe I'm missing.

    I'm far from an extra so it could easily be something pretty basic.

    submitted by /u/ChaZz182
    [link] [comments]

    Help me decide which router to get (TP-Link vs Netgear)

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 04:41 PM PST

    Right now I have a TP-Link Archer C5 that has served me well, but isn't hitting my upstairs office at all in my new apt, so I figured it was time to look at upgrading.

    After some research I think I have it narrowed down to the Netgear Nighthawk r6900p (AC1900), the TP-Link AX10 (AX1500), and the TP-link A10 (AC2600).

    My main concern is coverage range and signal strength/speed at a distance, more so than raw speed.

    The AX1500 unit seems more future proof, but like it has the worst range of the three, at least according to the not very objective manufacturers descriptions.

    The TP-Link A10 seems like the best combo of range and speed at about the same price point as the Netgear unit.

    Does Netgear offer any advantages for the extra money their stuff costs?

    Would I be better off looking in to a WiFi range extender for the Archer C5 if my ultimate goal is coverage? Would I be better off getting something newer anyway and trying to do a mesh?

    All my entertainment items are wired, so other than this one office that can't get reliable signal now that I've moved, I've never really cared about my WiFi previously and I'm not sure what the best route to go is.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/NominalFlow
    [link] [comments]

    Getting WiFi in my garage UGH

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 04:25 PM PST

    Hi all! I'm new to this sub! Anyways, I have a major question. I just finished my garage (it is detached from my home but has a covered walkway to it and I want to setup my TV, multiple phones and iPads etc and my DJ area to internet. I pay for 400mbps with spectrum. Right now my router (Netgear XR500) works great for my house but I get 1-2 bars of 2.4ghz WiFi and ZERO 5ghz out there and it is always unusable. I want to know if I should go the mesh route or run outdoor Ethernet somehow to the garage on a Ubiquiti AP AC Pro or something similar? Appreciate any responses.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/themeyerdg
    [link] [comments]

    Weird issue involving PS4 and PC

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 11:46 AM PST

    Recently upgraded my interent setup by adding a 1GB netgear router (CM1000) and a netgear nighthawk router (R8000P) and now I'm experiencing a very weird issue. Whenever I'm connected online with my PS4 and I boot up my PC, it boots me offline of my Playstation. The "LAN cable not connected" message pops up on the screen a few times and then it reconnects after about a minute. I'm really confused as to why this is happening and I could use some help here.

    submitted by /u/AnotherNeckbeard23
    [link] [comments]

    device as wifi client and hotspot at the same time

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 01:53 AM PST

    Hi,

    My internet provider give me only access to internet by wpa2-enterprise with EAP-PEAP autorization (50mbps)

    I need a device that will connect to it as a client and at the same time be a hotspot for dummy devices like printers/tv who cannot talk with wpa2-enterpise.

    I mean a home router, but I do not what to look for in the hardware specifications meet this requirement.

    I need the exact name of the device that I have to buy.

    submitted by /u/adminit1234
    [link] [comments]

    Home "smart" thermostats that maintain control via phone over local network, even if thermostat is blocked from internet access at router?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:39 AM PST

    I don't need to control my homes temperature when I'm away from work. And I don't like having unnecessary outward facing devices on my home network. So i figure I could just block internet access for that device, from my router's interface.

    But it would still be nice to be able to control it from my android phone when connected to my local home wifi.

    Does anyone know of a device that is capable of this? My fear is that most apps will be set to ALWAYS connect to the manufacturer's "cloud" server, then relay back to my home where it will access the device.

     

    Bonus question:

    I worry how something like a smart home thermometer would fare with power outages and such, compared to a typical digital programmable thermostat (non smart/non touch screen etc). Seems like that extra software would be more apt to encounter issues with power loss than something as simple as a digital non-smart thermostat.


    [link] [comments]

    PingPlotter stats what do they mean?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:34 AM PST

    Hey guys i'm new to all of this stuff so please answer my questions like i'm 5. Ever since I got this new "gateway" 7 months ago from xfinity i've been getting 1 second disconnects in video games everyother couple minutes during prime time of internet usage in my area it's weird because my ping ingame is fine it does not lag or anything just 1 second discconnects. It's very random though sometimes it happens frequently, sometimes it doesn't. Also when I got this new gate way I switch coaxial cable spots, because the first one was farther away, could a faulty coaxial spot be the reason why I'm getting packet loss?, im asking this because I cant find the coaxial cable to test it out so i'm just wondering if I should buy another one and not waste money. I have talked to xfinity support chat alot, All they they do is just refresh my internet, or ask to send a technician. That works for a while but then proceeds to happen Screenshot of pingplotter -> https://gyazo.com/f6630091518b71d91119eb6dcbdcad30 Should I ask them to send a techinician over, and if so what should I tell the technician about my problem. Sorry for writing alot but I have one more thing to add, I asked all my family members when they're gaming if they experience disconnects when I do they say they do not, Could it just be my pc?

    submitted by /u/L0ngSchlong
    [link] [comments]

    A dumb question: resetting a TP Link AC750 Wi-Fi Extender

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:17 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I'm sure this is a very dumb question, but I've been trying to reset my extender for a week to no success. I've pressed the reset button many times, and it simply keeps blinking without showing any signs of reset. The tether app also does no give me much...any chance you guys might help?

    submitted by /u/iliketurtlesrofl
    [link] [comments]

    Extending network to an external building

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 02:01 PM PST

    I'm a little out of my element when it comes to the residential world but I've been asked to help with a new building and hoped someone can help.

    My boss had a large external garage built on his property. It's about 250 feet away from his house. There is conduit ran from the house to the garage already complete with pull strings and an unused coax cable in it. His house network equipment is already ran and terminated on a board through a finished basement about 100 feet from the conduit to the garage. He wants to connect his home network over to the garage and put in a WAP in there. I plan on ripping out his current wireless which runs off of his router. I want to put in some Ubiquiti WAPs in both the house and garage.

    So we are looking at about 350 feet of cable which is over the suggested max of Cat. So I'm thinking we are looking at a fiber run from one building to the next. However he currently has nothing that terminates fiber in either building so I'd need something to terminate into on both sides. He has a 24 port switch at the moment that is fine but we're willing to rip and replace.

    So reddit, what kind of home equipment would you recommend for this job? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JubeeGankin
    [link] [comments]

    Home Router Settings

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 01:53 PM PST

    Hey guys. I'll be switching to a new router in the next few days and I have a question about my old one. If I disable DHCP Server (so that I can use it as an AP in the future) will that setting ruin anything for the new router? (I am mostly asking because I'm getting a new router from my provider and I don't know if it's going to be the same as the old one) I would buy an aftermarket one but I have internet problems rn so it wouldn't be really worth for the time being. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/GeorgeTs1
    [link] [comments]

    Double checking before ordering parts - Confusion on in-wall patch cable wiring

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 07:45 AM PST

    For the first time in 10+ years, I finally have access to home internet so now it's time do get things done the right way. I was fortunate enough to have a new fiber network go up in my area so I want to make sure the home portion of this is done right. I've been away from the game so long that things have changed quite a bit so I wanted to pick your collective brains before purchasing anything. The research I've done points me in the direction of a Cat6a network with punch down RJ45 terminals so I'll likely be going that route unless there's a convincing reason to deviate.

    Here's a shitty MS paint diagram of what I'm proposing: https://i.imgur.com/n4WQw9u.jpg

    I have the modem setup in the living room where the fiber enters the house (location 1).

    I have a central location inside the house already picked out and almost setup for the wireless router (location 2).

    A second drop would then go to the PC that I'll be building (location 3).

    Inside the walls - My original plan was to run a premade patch cord inside the wall from modem to router but I've been reading that riser cables are to be used in the walls for code reasons. I have a little confusion that I could use some help on regarding this. I understand that CMR ethernet cable is riser rated but does that cable work as a patch cable to connect the modem to the wireless router? I've read that it will so long as a patch cable is used to connect from the wall to the modem and router. Is this true?

    As a final check, this is the list of parts I plan on ordering assuming the above is true.

    Location 1

    (1) Yellow punchdown keystone jack for patching modem to wifi

    (1) Blue punchdown keystone jack to connect modem to PC room

    (1) 2-port keystone plate

    (1) Old construction junction box

    (1) Premade patch cable from wall to modem

    Location 2

    (1) Yellow punchdown keystone jack

    (1) 1-port keystone plate (this location already has an empty junction box)

    (1) Premade patch cable from wall to wifi

    Location 3

    (1) Blue punchdown keystone jack

    (1) 1-port keystone plate

    (1) Old construction junction box

    (1) Premade standard Cat 6a ethernet cable from wall to PC

    (100ft) Cat6a CMR shielded solid copper ethernet cable

    Am I forgetting anything?

    submitted by /u/IronAvocado
    [link] [comments]

    Why would ICMP packets > 71 bytes timeout?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 01:30 PM PST

    On my parents' network I noticed that ICMP packets larger than 71 bytes do not go though.

    • ping 1.1.1.1 -l 71 (and below) is fine
    • ping 1.1.1.1 -l 72 (and above) fail with Request timed out

    Topology wise, this happens starting from the IP of my gateway (= the fist IP after my router). Pinging either my computer or my router is OK.

    I tested on two different Windows 10 computers, one of them is wired to the router (a TP-LINK Archer C50) and another one is connected via Wi-Fi. In both cases the threshold packet size is the same.

    What can be the reason for that?

    Firewalls on both computers are disabled, and the Archer C50 firewall is enabled with default settings (which I do not see being configurable). I tried with the firewall ("Stateful Packet Inspection" as they call it) enabled and disabled - same thing.

    I also had a look at how Wireshark sees the icmp traffic - I only see ping requests.

    This problem does not happen if I VPN out of that network.

    submitted by /u/WoJWoJWoJ
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel