• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, February 12, 2020

    Home Networking Help me Obi-LAN Kenobi

    Home Networking Help me Obi-LAN Kenobi


    Help me Obi-LAN Kenobi

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 08:29 AM PST

    Ok that was lame. Here's my issue. Been having connection issues on certain devices on my home WiFi network. Example, my PS4 when I turn it on connects automatically to the internet. Well it supposed to. Lately it doesn't connect. Connection status shows it connected. Test connection and get this message. Obtain IP address has timed out. I have to restart my modem for it to connect but eventually it'll happen again. Same thing happens on my Nintendo Switch, and even last night my hardwired laptop had the same issue. My iPhone and Roku are still connected though. I don't know if it's related or not but when I try to set up a new device, it seems it takes forever to connect, if it connects at all. I've set up my networks like I've always known, automatically. I don't mess with manual set up. I don't know how. Spoke with ISP support. Said they didn't detect signal issues or anything out of the ordinary with the modem and 0% packet loss. Modem is a Surfboard SBG6900-AC. Bought it nearly 4 years ago. Any suggestions and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/cowman5150
    [link] [comments]

    Cat6a or cat7a for house remodel

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 07:49 PM PST

    Im remodeling my house, going to run Ethernet to each room/anywhere I need it. Question is what to get? There's a 500ft roll on Amazon of cat7a 22awg 1500mhz s-ftp that I want but from what I read you need cat8 keystone jacks/termination plugs if you want the full potential which are extremely expensive! Like 100 bucks per 12 pack lol. Which has led me to consider cat6a since it's alot cheaper. I always want to future proof and the best so my main question is will I notice a difference between them? Main uses will be 4k streaming/video games. Will be on the 980gb spectrum internet. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/killbosa1
    [link] [comments]

    Ditching Comcast Modem/Router

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 04:00 PM PST

    I'm looking to ditch Comcast's modem/router combo and from searching it seems like going with a standalone modem and router may be the way to go. We are currently on a 200mb plan, however I was also considering downgrading to 100mb. We don't do any gaming. We do some streaming in our living room, and on rare occasions our upstairs office, which is on the back of the house (2nd floor), so furthest point from the current router. A lot of surfing on phones, streaming music, and some laptop usage. Also have 2 Ring cameras outdoors, as well as a number of WiFi light switches and 2 Nest thermostats and 2 Nest smoke alarms. I'm not looking to change the location of the current router, but would like better signal upstairs.

    I imagine I'd get better signal from a good router, as opposed to trying to take the simple approach, and getting a combo unit. But curious if I could get away with the combo, as I wouldn't mind keeping this simple.

    I did some searching on modems and it seems the Arris SB6183 is compatible with Comcast in our area and would support our needs. Any reason to avoid going used? I've had good luck with amazon used in the past on items marked in "very good" condition.

    No clue about the router, so really looking for recommendations here.

    Would be great to start at our below $150 total.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Boston-Summer
    [link] [comments]

    I bought a new router and I'm getting very low bandwidth in the 5 GHz wifi mode. What can I do to improve this?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 02:53 AM PST

    I got a new router. It's this one:

    https://www.tp-link.com/bd/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c6/

    It has dual band wifi and gigabit ethernet ports.

    Here are my iperf3 results:

    Ethernet to ethernet: 889 Megabit/sec

    Ethernet (server) to wifi (client, 5 GHz, 1-2 ft distance): 210 Megabit/sec

    wifi to wifi (5 GHz, server device about 12 ft away, client device about 2 ft away): 160 Megabit/sec

    It specifically states that the bandwidth for 5 GHz wifi is 867 Megabit/sec. Why am I still getting such low numbers? I don't have a wall between the router and the devices. Firmware is up to date. All devices are capable of 802.11ac wifi. I don't get what the problem is. Please suggest something, thanks.

    submitted by /u/Thorpon
    [link] [comments]

    APC UPS Setup Help

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 01:50 PM PST

    Disclaimer: I know nothing about any of this.

    I am thinking about getting this UPS for my network setup (I know that it is overkill for my setup but I would like to make it work):

    https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-X-2200VA-Short-Depth-Tower-Rack-Convertible-LCD-200-240V-with-Network-Card/P-SMX2200HVNC

    I am unsure about amount of voltage from the UPS to the devices in the rack (Nas, Routers, Modem ,etc) since the Nominal Output Voltage on this unit is: 208V, 230V. I live in the US and I am unsure if I can use something like this to plug in my devices directly into the UPS or if my devices will blowup and burn the house down. https://www.pduwhips.com/category/85-c14-to-5-15r-power-cords.aspx

    The only other option I was looking at, was plug a new UDP like this one https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/Rack-PDU-Basic-1U-16A-208-230V-10-C13-2-C19/P-AP9559 into the UPS since the UDP has a Nominal Output and Input Voltage of 120V, 208V, 230V. I am unsure is that is safer or if it even matters at all.

    Any help is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/allterraintrucks
    [link] [comments]

    How does WiFi mesh work ?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 08:49 PM PST

    It's just a question about understanding the mesh system.

    I have a mesh system of 3 nodes, all hooked in different spots.

    So, when I try to do the speed test by staying close to node 2. I get the full speed. But, when I turn off the second node and run the speed test. I loose more than 40% of the speed.

    My phone was connected to 5G.

    Does nodes communicate with you each other using different radio or if it's the same 5ghz, Why am I not getting the same speed like the node 2 does.

    submitted by /u/veekay19
    [link] [comments]

    Cat6 vs. Cat5e connector

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 08:48 PM PST

    I've spent the last few hours researching patch cables for an upcoming home networking project and I realized that the Monoprice and Cable Matters cables are terminated with Cat5e ends that aren't staggered but are being sold as Cat6.

    The question is, does it matter? I'll have approximately 35 one-foot cables running through a 48-port patch panel into a USW-Pro-48-PoE switch and I'm a little worried about interference/crosstalk.

    submitted by /u/triggerhappehx
    [link] [comments]

    TorGuard works on phone, can't connect to anything on PC.

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 08:36 PM PST

    This never use to happen and I've tried just about everything I can imagine. It seems to be a problem with the way it deals with setting a DNS server but I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

    It'll connect, and then I get about 1 second of useful internet out of it before it disconnects again. If I wait long enough it will reconnect and I'll get another second of internet.

    Things I've Tried:

    Uninstall and Reinstall: Multiple times, including software and drivers

    Change DNS Settings in App: None have worked so far.

    Try a TON of different servers: Same problem on all of them

    Install TorGuard on my phone operating on the same connection as my PC: Works just fine. No idea.

    Flush my DNS: Still broken

    Restart my PC: Because of course I did

    I'm running out of options here. I've got a ticket open with TorGuard but I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with a problem like this.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/PETC
    [link] [comments]

    I need some networking help

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 08:34 PM PST

    Im trying to setup my own router connected via my isp router/modem unit but it doesn't offer an option to put in bridge mode just routed with NAT and that's it.....I've read that double NATing will interfere with some things like port forwarding so my only option is to put my router in the DMZ but I don't know if I'm doing things correctly .....also I would like to have my home server connected to this router to be able to connect to the internet

    submitted by /u/AaronMAllen85
    [link] [comments]

    Advice: Should I rethink my home networking infrastructure?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 04:43 PM PST

    Good Evening Friends,

    What is the best way to setup the below infrastructure? I'm having network connectivity and slowness issues even though I have 300mb internet service, and Cat6/gigabit run throughout the whole house to reduce devices connecting to wifi. The majority of my "wireless" devices (Roku Ultra, PS4, smart hubs) are directly connected via cat6. I think its because of the way I have my infrastructure configured and would appreciate some advice. It's also worth noting all of my network infrastructure (except my modem) supports gigabit.

    I'm also thinking about replacing my AC68U routers with ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 or ROG-Rapture-GT-AX11000 wireless routers with more memory/cpu power.

    My current setup -

    Link to my network diagram: Network Diagram

    Arris 600mb modem connects directly to my AC68U Router (Primary in AIMesh)

    Primary AC68U then connects to a Netgear dumb switch where the majority of my "technology hubs" are connected.

    Netgear then splits 1 gigabit off to my Primary 36 port dumb switch for all Cat6 Termination to distribute internet and networking.

    Primary Concern:

    All of this seems ok, but then thinking about it, there's a good deal of internet traffic from all of these devices that then has to go backwards through all of the network infrastructure ultimately to AC68U router.

    Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/pdub517
    [link] [comments]

    Need to split one Ethernal jacks to 2 devices

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 07:40 PM PST

    Hi everyone first time poster here I'm after some advice or if someone could guide me to the right direction in regards with spliting 1 ethernal cords into 2..

    I have my router in the lounge room and my computer in my bed room ane i did some research between an Ethernet switch, ethernet hub and ethernet splitter.. i can't seem to get a straight answer, getting really confusing. Which would you recommend, does any of these affect the speed of the connection?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/JustAnotherRedittorr
    [link] [comments]

    Appreciate any advice with an odd problem.

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 07:38 PM PST

    Hello everyone - I wrote this post last night on r/pihole asking for help with an issue with my raspberry pi.

    I'm getting some weird behavior when I check the system logs that is related to the network but so far my google and reddit searches have not come up with anything.

    My pi is setup with a static ip address on the LAN, and all DNS traffic is sent to it through the router's DHCP server.

    What is weird is that every hour, something comes along and seems like it's trying to steal the static IP address of the pi - see the screenshot on my other post. The pi loses its ip address and then seems like it has to re-apply for it at the router.

    The DHCP lease on my router is set to 1 day, so I don't think its the router resetting things.

    Really appreciate any ideas on how to figure out what is going on.

    submitted by /u/Ryles1
    [link] [comments]

    TP-Link A6 or A7.

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 07:35 PM PST

    Hi all, so i'm moving into my apartment Friday, and currently looking for a low budget router, and i've read good things about the TP-Link Archer A6, and Archer A7, we are gonna be paying for 100mbps. The apartment is only 650sq ft, and we will have 2 phones, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and a fire stick that streams using Kodi. It seems more people lean towards the A6 because of MU-MIMO, not sure what it is, but they're about the same price range, and right in the range i'm looking for as well. Any advice would be great, thank you.

    submitted by /u/Got_Wrinkles
    [link] [comments]

    Modem with separate router question

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 07:12 PM PST

    Spectrum customer

    I currently have a provided arris gateway modem that seems to be basic. I also have my own Nighthawk x6 router that I use to connect all my devices. The modem is bridged though.

    My question is does the modem affect the speeds/performance of the router at all if it's bridged? If I went to the store and bought a high end modem, will it better the WiFi speeds through the router?

    submitted by /u/Eminem_Shady
    [link] [comments]

    Remotely manage GLAR750 in my relatives' RV

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 07:08 PM PST

    My relatives are full time RV'ers, so they drive around and connect to lots of different campground wireless networks. I chose the GL.iNet GLAR750 for them due to it's ability to relay hotspots, public wifi, and tethered devices. I have been really impressed with the device so far, especially for the price.

    They have no networking knowledge at all, so I want to be able to access the router to sign them in to new networks and manage the device remotely. The GoodCloud management interface is very pretty, but doesn't provide the level of access that I need (cannot modify network connections/passwords)

    I'm not sure if I can set up DDNS when they are using relayed public wifi or a tethered device, since I don't have any ability (that I'm aware of) to control port forwarding on the public router. I've had no luck so far. How I can access the router configuration pages remotely in this case?

    submitted by /u/ryologic
    [link] [comments]

    is the netgear nighthawk ax3000 a relatively good router in terms of privacy?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 06:59 PM PST

    I was considering getting a really good router with wifi 6. wanted to wait for synology to update their line but my dad went out and just picked up the netgear nighthawk ax3000. My question is, are they relatively good in terms of privacy (I just care about something thats really good and overall privacy respecting, I dont need a full open source omnis turria with openwrt, merlin etc). Just want some opinions on this, overall heard really good stuff about synology though so was considering that. Appreciate any feedback for a newbie here

    submitted by /u/ch053nwon
    [link] [comments]

    Download speed dropped to 5 Mbps from original 150 Mbps but upload speed stayed 10 Mbps. Cox says they can't see anything wrong with it on their side. Can be the MODEM broken and still have the maximum upload speed???

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:20 AM PST

    Edit: it's not the first time it happens and it usually resolves itself within a couple hours usually.

    submitted by /u/WonderingWhyToo
    [link] [comments]

    Allow a Windows 10 PC on LAN but block internet?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 05:36 PM PST

    Is there a rather straightforward way to allow a specific Windows 10 PC on a LAN network to access LAN resources through ethernet, but allow internet only through wireless connected to an access point on another network?

    This is for a home networking project.

    Basically trying to manage data under my 1TB monthly cap on my Comcrap internet. I have access to free public wifi but it's very slow (like 25 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up realistic speeds if it's a good day) but it's OK for transferring backup data or downloading things like Steam games that can be awfully large and suck up data quickly.

    In any case, I have an older laptop that I was planning to repurpose for this. So I can download the data from the public wi-fi and access it over my LAN.

    My modem is a Netgear Orbi.

    Thanks for any assistance.

    submitted by /u/HTWingNut
    [link] [comments]

    switch setup in closet dont know how to work it

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 05:35 PM PST

    when i moved into this house i found the owners had run ethernet throughout the house i found the setup in the closet and figured out how to activate only one port at a time but cant get them all active

    there is a hawking technology 8 port 10/100/1000M gigabit ehternet switch gs800t

    a d-link dss-16+

    pictures on the setup

    submitted by /u/DrimMan
    [link] [comments]

    Why do we bridge interfaces with VLANs?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 02:49 AM PST

    I'm diving a bit deeper into networking stuff because I am going to upgrade my home network, but mostly because I want to learn more about this subject which has been fascinating me over the last few years.

    In order to accomplish that, I'm going to buy also a Mikrotik switch which will be connected to my pfSense firewall, since it is said to be a very good device when it comes to learning how networking works.

    I have already started reading the mikrotik wiki, about bridging and VLANs in particular, but it seems that I can't still make sense of them completely.

    I mean, I have a very basic understanding what they both are for, but I'm struggling to figure out why they need to work together as in this example below:

    https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CRS1xx/2xx_series_switches_examples#Port_Based_VLAN

    I am trying to understand, among other things, why do we need to bridge the 4 interfaces (ether2, ether6, ether7, ether8) if, as far I had understood, one of the main purposes of VLANS is getting LAN isolation? what did I miss?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/jean-luc-trek
    [link] [comments]

    Having a hard time setting up SSH keys for iPhone.

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 04:49 PM PST

    I recently created a desktop ubuntu ssh server over the internet that employs public auth encryption that I access from my mac laptop. I removed password login as it is more secure but I would like to access this server from my iphone as well. To do this, I tried the using the terminus app and sent a newly generated public key from my mac to the server but when I tried logging from my phone it wouldn't recongnize it. Any help?

    submitted by /u/ecstaticdude98
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a new home, what's the best way to achieve home network superiority?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 01:00 PM PST

    I will be moving into a home (not a new construction) next month and want to ensure that we have a strong home network. It's a ranch style home, 1500sqft, and there's a garden barn in the backyard I plan to renovate into an office in the future. The garden barn is approximately 15-20 feet away from the house in the backyard.

    There's no existing Ethernet infrastructure in the home. My initial plan was to install a switch in a closet, and run wires to key rooms in the house and install APs at each end of the house. Finally I would run a hard-line to the garden barn likely below ground along with electrical.

    Is this the best path forward? I know that there exists mesh networks and now wifi 6, so are hardwires really required? I do play online games on the PC, so latency is very important to me.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/EntropicTempest
    [link] [comments]

    Highly unbalanced download and upload speed (even on ethernet)

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 04:17 PM PST

    So there's a narrow corridor between my room and the living room where the router sits in. I thought it shouldn't have too much impact, but let me post some speed test results:

    My room, WiFi: 1.46m down, 2.86m up.
    Living room, WiFi: 1.85m down, 0.72m up

    Now the stats are really weird: how could the uplink in my room be faster than the uplink in living room, where I literally tested right next to the router?

    2nd attempt:.
    My room, WiFi: 1.00m down, 2.87m up.
    Living room, wifi: 2.38m down, 4.86 up

    Besides the fluctuations, having a faster uplink speed is quite odd isn't it? Normally downlink should be faster.

    So, I've an the final test. Living room, ethernet: 88.2m down, 5.16m up.

    I'm mindblown. How could the difference between up and down be so massive even on ethernet? This doesn't sound like a range problem anymore. The modem is connected to the internet via broadband. Any suggestions on what's happening here?

    submitted by /u/arkyo1379
    [link] [comments]

    VLAN vs Separate Network for IP Cameras?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 03:58 PM PST

    Hey everyone,

    I'm in the process of re-doing my home network. I currently use a pfSense router, and have 4 IP cameras on a completely separate network away from my primary network.

    Now, I've outgrown the 16 port switch I currently have, and am planning on adding an additional 4 IP cameras.

    Initially my goal was to keep all IP camera traffic away from my primary network. I absolutely do not want it to slow down or affect it in anyway. But now with having to upgrade my equipment, I'm wondering if I should just buy a single 48 port PoE switch for everything, and separate it out using VLANs. It's just going to be cheaper to buy one single larger switch as opposed to two smaller ones.

    With the VLAN option, the traffic is still all going through one switch. Does the traffic from one VLAN affect the throughput for all the other VLANs? It has to make some impact because it's definitely going to be using up some of the switch's processing power. Will it be noticable/measurable though? The IP cameras a connected to a BlueIris NVR and it's constantly recording.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Synaxxis
    [link] [comments]

    Linking my home and garage

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 03:38 PM PST

    So, I have my house and my garage which are about 200m apart. Between the two, I have a shed with electricity. Right now the current setup is two Asus N66U routers each with their own ZTE connection, one in the house one in the garage.

    My goals would be too mesh my two Wifi signal together, or something similar to that. I can see each wifi signal from the shed.

    Running underground cables is a no go cause its a rock bed and airial is also no go (too much trees)

    How would you proceed for something like that? Do I have to change the routers and get multiple mesh router or can my two Asus can connect to some device that will mesh them? Also would it be possible to load balance the two ZTE so they would work in tandem kinda?

    Any help will be appreciated

    submitted by /u/loonatic22
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel