• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, February 10, 2020

    Home Networking Finally switched to Gigabit, and I need help setting it up.

    Home Networking Finally switched to Gigabit, and I need help setting it up.


    Finally switched to Gigabit, and I need help setting it up.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 04:57 PM PST

    So, I upgraded from copper to Gigabit now that it's finally available in my location.

    I used to have a router and modem, and when I switched over, I had to buy a gigabit capable router.

    There's no modem anymore as the guy that laid the cable said I can throw it away unless I know anyone else still on copper that needs it.

    Anyways, I get my new router, a Netgear Ac1600. I plug it in, plug the ethernet cable in and connect it to the wall for internet. I managed to get logged into the router info on my computer to start setting it up, and then it just dropped internet in the middle of it.

    Now, the new wifi network is gone, and on the router the other lights are off with only the power icon flashing green. I've spent about two hours messing with it and can't find anything, can anyone help?

    submitted by /u/Asayleus
    [link] [comments]

    Introductory Networking Open Educational Resource. It covers almost everything.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 09:23 AM PST

    Here is the Introductory Networking Open Educational Resource. It covers almost everything.
    http://intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/current/ComputerNetworks.pdf

    submitted by /u/AstroturfShotgun
    [link] [comments]

    Two homes one internet, separating the networks

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 04:11 AM PST

    First I would like to apologize if I'm using the wrong terms, I have very basic knowledge in networking.

    I currently have a fiber connection and would like to share it with my parents through Ethernet cable but I would like to keep my smart devices, NAS, TVs and HomePod not showing up to them. I'm not sure what are the terms for doing this to research it further and would appreciate any help.

    submitted by /u/ayyak
    [link] [comments]

    Need Recommendations for 10GB Ethernet Switch

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 03:44 PM PST

    I'm looking for recommendations for an unmanaged 10GB Ethernet switch. 4 ports (more ports OK but not needed).

    My application is: two of my PCs have 10GB Ethernet ports on the motherboard. I will add a 10GB card to a third PC. I will then use the switch to connect the three PCs with the fourth port connected to my router. For now I'm just interested in the three PCs being to communicate with each other at 10GB speed. I understand the connection to the router will not be 10GB (because this router doesn't support 10G). Will this work?

    submitted by /u/pmokover
    [link] [comments]

    New WiFi Router Recommendations

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 09:08 PM PST

    I live in a medium sized home with one other person. We both use the internet heavily for gaming, streaming, browsing, etc. We have roughly 20-24 devices connected to the router simultaneously such as computers, streaming devices, Smart Plugs, Smart Home devices, you name it.

    I have been using a Linksys WRT3200ACM for the last 18 months. For the first 8 months or so I had no complaints. Then it began needing reboots more and more frequently. I even did a factory reset and brought everything back up to speed, but it still needs frequent reboots to function properly. Too often does the WiFi stop working entirely or speeds become abhorrent. We have 175mb/s down from Xfinity, but the router is what's holding us back. Even in-home streaming from one PC to another for games on Steam has constant stuttering and packet loss.

    I do not want to use custom firmware and do not need any suggestions to do so.

    I am looking for a new router, any brand, preferably under $200 with Dual Band.

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/Chunkylover21
    [link] [comments]

    Access point recommendation

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 03:05 PM PST

    Wifi in my house is awful and I am looking at options. I live in the U.S. in case it matters for product recommendations. I do live near Best Buy and Micro Center if that helps, but Amazon is best because laziness.

    The good news is I have CAT6 runs to literally every room via smurf tube that I installed during various remodels. Stationary devices like PCs, the PS4, etc. get great speeds. Mobile devices... not so much. Sitting on the porch I might not get a signal at all. My phone freaks out because it can just barely detect the SSID and wants to use it over 4G which also sucks in my dead zone of a neighborhood.

    This is my wireless router: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC56U/

    It is not the latest model but works fine. The problem is the cable modem and patch panel are in a distant corner of the basement and surrounded by ductwork and electrical, next to the main breaker panel. Even with 2.4GHz it simply loses too much signal by the time it reaches the living room. Relocating is not feasible because my 10Gb switch, patch panel, and UPS are all right there and I would really prefer not to spend a ton of time and effort moving things around.

    After evaluating various options I think a mesh network is off the table because I have network drops everywhere. I think adding just one access point at the front of the house is ideal, although I am open to other ideas that might work better or for less money.

    The issue is I think I am hunting a unicorn:

    • Switch does not have PoE, so a PoE-only AP is not an option. Wife will complain if there are too many wires uglifying our new kitchen so I would rather not deal with a PoE converter.
    • I plan on putting it on a table or counter. Ceiling mount is not an option.
    • I do not want to create an account with the manufacturer's web site or cloud provider. Just do your damn job and provide WiFi.
    • 802.11ac required, others are nice to have. There are a lot of b/g/n APs and even some ax APs, but ac seems less common. I don't care about ax. I don't need that much speed and it appears the current hardware is half-baked anyway.
    • I don't care about phone apps or other gizmos. Just give me a simple interface to set up the SSID and channel, then shut up and do your job.
    • I am not focused on price. I don't think I want to go over $250, which leaves a lot of headroom. My goal here is fixing the damn WiFi, not penny pinching, within reason. If I have to upgrade to commercial quality then so be it, as long as it is not ceiling mounted.

    I have been reading through several threads here, the guides, links to other web sites I came across, but nothing seems to be just right.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/ambiguous_jellybean
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve Been Searching For An Answer For So Long...

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 05:10 PM PST

    Hey!

    So about 2 months ago, there was a power outage from a telephone pole being hit and it surged the house. Ever since then, my internet has been spiking whenever I try and watch something or play video games. And it is extremely frequent.

    I ended up replacing our router with a more powerful one and it improved a little but I still have a lot of issues. Sometimes the internet still spikes when I hard wire or run wireless. I am about to replace my modem to see if that helps, but I decided to try PingPlotter to get a better look at my latency.

    I have a snapshot of my most recent PingPlotter run, yet I still have issues understanding what a majority of it means. I understand networking a fair amount but I am not a guru in it and can't figure out the source of the problem. If you have an answer, please help me! Below is a link to the image:

    https://m.imgur.com/a/xqigqhV

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Triyza
    [link] [comments]

    How is this even possible?? Am I being Hacked by some Chinese Network Guru?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 08:06 PM PST

    My home internet was acting weird today

    around 11am, WAN connection started to go on/off for 10 minutes

    at the time, I tried to go to google.com and it redirected me to some Huawei login website whenever I tried to go to google.com(I don't own any Huawei devices) all other site was fine https://imgur.com/a/wNvlnxY

    WAN connection came back after 5-10 minute and this weird Huawei redirect issue went away after clearing chrome browse cache so I thought maybe it was some kind of virus and didn't think too much

    around 5pm, my WAN connection completely dropped with no internet connection whatsoever

    (I have 'TPLINK' router so 192.168.0.1 showed tplink page + no WAN error message)

    so I called my ISP and they said they blocked my internet due to some kind of weird/unknown mac address

    they re enabled my internet in few minutes but while going through some steps, we found out that now I have completely different ipv4 address which wasn't provided by my ISP

    (now I have 99.x ipv4 addr which isn't from my ISP. what's my ip website even show different ISP name. I had 33.x ipv4 from my ISP before even in this morning)

    what's more is that now 192.168.0.1 shows 'Hitron' webpage and I don't even have Hitron home router

    https://imgur.com/a/nh3No97

    My ISP said they'll investigate but does anyone know wtf is going on

    How do I still connect to my old wireless SSID+password (tplink) and my internet access is enabled/disabled by my ISP but 192.168.0.1 shows someone else's router + I have someone else's ipv4 address?

    Also wouldn't this be a serious security vulnerability (my credit card#, other infos, etc) cause I'm basically using someone else's internet?

    submitted by /u/lpk99
    [link] [comments]

    What do you guys think of my QoS settings?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 07:56 PM PST

    I intend to prioritize my iPhone and my working laptop on my 25mbps network. I own a d-link 819 router and I set the QoS as shown here

    I basically set the priority to 1(highest) for my laptop and phone, both downstream and upstream on all ports.

    I set the rest of the pool (from 198.0.102 to .200) on priority 4(best effort).

    I was thinking of removing the the rest of the pool from QoS and just keep my 2 device as highest priority, would that work better?

    submitted by /u/m0niyaw
    [link] [comments]

    Ps4 is slowing down my network Via Ethernet

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 03:58 PM PST

    PS4 is slowing down my network

    I have Shaw 300, and the last month has been very strange. My internet is normal when I'm not using my ps4, but the second I turn it on it MURDERS the network for everyone else in my house. For some reason, I get perfectly normal speeds using any device in the room with my router, but the second any one tries to use their devices, they get insanely slow speeds, even if they're literally one room over or even just outside the office.

    The reason I find this strange, is because my ps4 is connected via Ethernet to the router, so it bypasses wifi. Also, my ps4 has perfect speeds when playing, it's just literally everyone else around me can't use the network. It's like connecting my ps4 somehow decreases the speed for the overall network, but anyone within a 5 foot radius of the router is completely unaffected, where as anyone beyond that can't use the wifi at all. What could be the reason for this? And what should I try?

    submitted by /u/18YearOldSamBennett
    [link] [comments]

    Networking Project Ideas?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 11:51 AM PST

    Looking to create a project which involves implementing some sort of network software, but I don't really have any good ideas for games or projects to create for it, was wondering if someone could give me some good ideas!

    submitted by /u/ltdiadams
    [link] [comments]

    Not Much Hair Left...

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 07:04 PM PST

    Hello all, and thank you in advance for your help and assistance you can provide. I have a problem that has been causing me to pull my hair out (figuratively). I can't get a Sonoff Mini to pair with my network, even though I have been working on it constantly for over 5 days.

    I know the unit works fine, as I finally got it to pair to a hotspot between two phones, as well as on my sisters Home Network, whom has the same internet provide as I do (and an older router than I do!). I have tried dismantling my entire home network, to the point I took the router provided by Spectrum (I have a total of 4 in my network) completely reset it, hooked it up directly to the modem, singed in with only my phone and computer, and still it wouldn't pair together.

    Is there some system setting that I am missing? How could the device possibly connect completely fine to my sisters network and not at all to mine.

    Note that the smart device, which uses the eWeLink app, pairs using an AP mode (creates a Hotspot which the wifi picks up and sends a signal to), however after pairing the device never re-connects to my router and remains "offline" within the app.

    Although this situation is probably rare, Im sure I am not the only person with this problem, so hopefully any solution we can discover will be helpful to other people experiencing this problem as well!

    submitted by /u/safailla
    [link] [comments]

    Noob: VLANs, APs & Switches?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 06:42 PM PST

    Trying to plan out my new network. Going with a UDM and have some noob questions.

    I'm assuming an AP can host multiple SSIDs w/ separate VLANs for each?

    Can I run an AP off an unmanaged switch and still support multiple VLANs and ssids? Ie- our of the UDM into an unmanaged switch then to the AP? What if it's daisy chained?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/eyal8r
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get to Web UI for TP-Link TL-SG2216 due to router already using same IP Address

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 06:36 PM PST

    My router's web UI has the IP of 192.168.0.1 already. When doing a reset of the TP-Link switch it defaults the Web UI IP also to 192.168.0.1. Therefore I can't access it as when i use 192.168.0.1 it takes me to my routers UI instead. How can I get around this without having to change the IP of my router?

    submitted by /u/firetruckgoesmoo
    [link] [comments]

    If you have Xfinity, check your gateway model now. You may have an outdated one.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 05:51 PM PST

    If you gateway says the model (probably Arris TG862G) on the front near the bottom or if it doesn't have the lights for a 2.4GHz and 5GHz band then take it to an Xfinity Store and they will swap it out for a new one for free. I had an old one and i got like 15Mbps from an upstairs bedroom in a 2000 square foot house and now get 94 with the new gateway. Also you might have gotten a letter saying speeds have improved in your area and you can swap out your gateway for a newer one.

    submitted by /u/BirbActivist
    [link] [comments]

    Having 2 PC's on a switch Is equal to having 2 PC's directly in my ISP's router/AIO?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 04:05 AM PST

    I am planning on buying a cheap switch so I only have to run one cable trough the house instead of multiple ones, will the ethernet performance split or get worse in any way?

    submitted by /u/JTTigas
    [link] [comments]

    Xfinity speeds fluctuating wildly, support useless because I use my own hardware which they claim is at "end of life"

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 01:31 PM PST

    I have Xfinity/Comcast and am paying for a plan that offers up to 75 Mbps. For the past several weeks the speeds I've been seeing on my devices has been all over the board, usually between 25-50 Mbps, rarely above 65 Mbps, and regularly less than 10 Mbps, with occasional bouts of 0 Mbps for several minutes. I've received alerts on my phone that it is connected to a wi-fi network, but that the network doesn't appear to have an internet connection.

    I've tried restarting/power cycling my modem and router regularly (i.e., anywhere from every 2-3 days to 2-3 times per day) and that doesn't appear to have fixed anything (i.e., if I'm getting 20 Mbps and restart everything, I'll maybe have 20-25 Mbps once everything is back online). I've tried restarting my laptop, tablet, and phone. I've checked my router's settings, although I haven't changed or updated those in ages.

    I finally gave in and called Xfinity support today. The only positive outcome is they now have records of speed tests anywhere from 5-65 Mbps. The CSR did tell me that it appears that my modem is at the end of its lifespan, and that I have to contact the manufacturer to see if it could be the source of the speed fluctuations. If they send a technician out and the source of the problem is my hardware, I get charged for the support visit.

    It's been 15+ years since I messed around with networking, so I'm rather lost and would appreciate some advice. I'm fine buying a new modem if that's the most likely source of the problem (although a bit disappointed because 5 years doesn't seem that old).

    • Modem: ARRIS SURFboard SB6121 4x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem [Motorola?], purchased Jan 2015
    • Router: TP-Link Archer C7 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (AC1750), purchased Jan 2017
    • Devices: MacBook Air (2013, recently serviced and in good shape), iPad (Jan 2020), iPhone 6S (Jan 2016)

    Solution:

    Suck it up and buy a new modem. If the problem persists, call Xfinity again.

    submitted by /u/Tove_on_the_Wabe
    [link] [comments]

    Using mesh AP with a wireless router

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 09:12 AM PST

    Hello everyone!

    I have the TP-Link DEco m5, but have it set to AP mode with my Asus RT-AC66U as the router with it's radios disabled. I've had some problems getting my pihole and other network equipment to play nice with the mesh network, so that's why i kept the Asus to run it all.

    I'd like to upgrade my Asus- but i have a few questions about that.

    1) Since i'm not using the wireless radios from the router, should i just get a wired only router?

    2) COULD I keep the Router's radio on and spread out my mesh APs to give even more coverage? Or would that interfere with the Decos?

    Thanks for all of your help!

    submitted by /u/jaybyrd0734
    [link] [comments]

    R7000...Halp.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 12:44 PM PST

    So I bought an upgrade to my AC66R after it died. I regrettably bought the nighthawk R7000.

    Now I've had the router for a while and never really noticed any issues until playing some games recently (diablo 3).

    When on my 5ghz band, I get some big latency spikes, like 2-5 second spikes, game freezes and such.

    Now I have already downgraded the firmware to .42. The channel I'm using is 36 (for wall penetration). It has no other 5ghz bands in that channel.

    What could be happening here? The speed when downloading goes up and down, 10-30 mbps, but like a roller coaster. And the latency spikes go from 80-1000+ and then back down.

    Anyone have this specific router that can help?

    (No I have absolutely no way of running Ethernet and my house does not have coax ran)

    submitted by /u/suchyahp
    [link] [comments]

    How to troubleshoot dropped wifi/internet connections?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 04:16 PM PST

    I'm looking for helping trying to debug my home networking woes. Every few days I will be using the internet and and then suddenly web pages will not be able to load. My laptop still shows a full strength wifi signal (in the menu bar), but nothing will load at all. Power cycling the the wifi router almost always solves the issue, although occasionally the connection will only work for a few minutes before needing the wifi router to be powered on and off again. How can I go about determining the cause of this issue?

    I'm a software engineer by trade, so I'm not afraid to get into things at a fairly low level if need be, I just don't know where to start. Not even really sure what the right google search terms would be.

    This issue only started a month or so ago after years without issue on the same hardware.

    My setup:

    • ISP: RCN
    • Modem: Arris Surfboard SB6141 (mine, not rented from ISP)
    • Router: TP-Link N600 (TL-WDR3600)

    I'm usually connected to the network with a MacBook. My wife also experiences the same issues on her MacBook as well. Usually (maybe always?) we both loose the connection at the same time. It's probably worth noting that we are in a large apartment building with many nearby wifi signals. I see about 23 other 5G networks available to join (although this was also the case before these issues started). We're usually in the same room as our router.

    Any tips on how to get started troubleshooting or fixing this issue?

    submitted by /u/microgorilla
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have zte zxhn h108n router ?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 03:28 PM PST

    If so does ddns work on it ? As it doesn't work on mine.

    submitted by /u/minanageh2
    [link] [comments]

    Toning Cat5/6 cables that aren't terminated

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 11:20 AM PST

    I have Cat 5 cables running throughout my house, though most of them aren't being used for anything. They are terminated in various rooms with a combination of female RJ11 and RJ45 jacks. In my mechanical room, the cables are all hanging in a bundle with no terminations - just loose cut cable. There are about 30 of them.

    I want to use the cable that terminates in my kitchen but don't know which one it is in my mechanical room since they aren't labeled. What the easiest way to figure out which cable runs to my kitchen? Can I buy a toner that doesn't require me to put an RJ45 on each cable to tone them out? If so, what feature do I need to look for in a toner? Even better if you can recommend a toner for me to buy that is relatively low cost.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/SENinSpruce
    [link] [comments]

    Any issues putting HDMI and CAT6 through 20’ of PVC pipe?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 08:43 AM PST

    Helping a friend with a remodeling project. Want to hide some cables by going through the floor and into a crawl space. To protect the cables from critters and to make it easy to run new cables in the future I wanted to put it through some piping.

    Is there any issue running HDMI or CAT6 through cheap PVC pipe?

    submitted by /u/kidno
    [link] [comments]

    8 core AX/WIFI 6 routers

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 02:39 PM PST

    Any 8 core routers that support all of the gaming "stuff" and VLANs/L3 routing? Also support for basic spanning tree on the LAN ports?

    submitted by /u/HJForsythe
    [link] [comments]

    Will IPTV traffic be a problem in a double-NAT setup?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 02:38 PM PST

    I need to route traffic coming from the ISP-installed router into four private networks for use in a building complex. Each apartment should have its own "private" network with WiFi and ethernet. My first, simplest thought is that the main ISP-installed router gets connected to each apartments own router.

    https://imgur.com/a/P75pBD4

    Double-NAT is frowned upon, I know, but this solution would be as simple as it gets, and I haven't had a problem with double-NAT before.

    However, each apartment will also have an IPTV box set connected to the "private" router.

    Does anyone know whether double-NAT will pose an issue to IPTV? The ISP-installed router will have IGMP snooping enabled.

    Thanks so much in advance anyone willing to take the time to help me out here.

    submitted by /u/zxyxel
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel