• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, August 8, 2019

    Home Networking IP naming convention?

    Home Networking IP naming convention?


    IP naming convention?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 03:12 AM PDT

    Wondering how you guys organise your IP's. I've heard of people doing it as:

    ⏺ 192.168.1.x - all networking equipment

    ⏺ 192.168.2.x - all lans

    ⏺ 192.168.3.x - all wireless

    How do you guys do it?

    submitted by /u/simplygardner
    [link] [comments]

    Parents are moving router and modem 2 floors up, what are my options?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 04:40 PM PDT

    I live in the basement and have a desktop and need to game. What are some options to get a wired internet connection?

    submitted by /u/PandaBruh
    [link] [comments]

    Question in my school test about routers installation..

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 11:51 AM PDT

    I'm clueless about this question, newbie with routers, does anyone know solution for this?

    you are in a brand new detached house with data boxes in the rooms and a switchboard in the technical space. The ADSL rise is in the technical state to which the Technicolor TG799 service router is connected. The customer has TV enabled in the living room, where the TV set-top box is connected to the DATA 5 box and from the DATA 5 port on the technical switchboard goes to the Cat6 cable TG799 LAN 1 port. The TG799 WLAN network carries only half the house. The customer wants to make the WLAN work at the other end of the house for which he has purchased the ASUS RT-AC51U WLAN Router. At the other end of the house, at the customer's preferred location for the new access point, is a DATA 8 box.

    What to consider when connecting and configuring Asus?

    submitted by /u/MMoonPresence
    [link] [comments]

    Privacy with employer provided home internet

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 08:41 AM PDT

    So my SO works from home, and her employer provides a computer and internet service. I am concerned about privacy because presumably the employer has the ability to monitor the use of the internet. My thought is to configure an additional wireless router to run a VPN (Private Internet Access) and to use it exclusively, leaving the other router for SO's work use solely. Is this doable? What are other solutions? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Coopishly
    [link] [comments]

    Getting 2 ethernet cables from 1

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 11:44 AM PDT

    Upstairs in my home I have one ethernet cable which is connected to my TV receiver (2ms ping). I would like to get another ethernet cable in my room for my gaming pc so I could game lag free etc. I thought of maybe buying a switch and putting that already excisting ethernet cable inside it, and then get 2 ethernet cables out of it. Then I will put one in the receiver, and one to my room. How much delay will this add to my connection, will this slow down my download speed?

    I could possibly also get anothe cable from downstairs through the walls, but this seems more work.

    submitted by /u/MichielbutsayMichael
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a personal network off of a Boingo enterprise network?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 03:14 PM PDT

    My apartment building uses Boingo for its wifi network across the property. My room has one ethernet port, and I've tried 4 different routers on it. Boingo requires adding the MAC to my account, which I have done multiple times. I've gotten my network up and running once or twice, but it went down after I restarted the router once. I believe this is due to the MAC being blocked by Boingo. How else can I go about this? I need a personal network for a ton of IOT devices I own and can otherwise not use.

    submitted by /u/jack3chu
    [link] [comments]

    Question about guest networks.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 04:44 PM PDT

    I have the Optimum Altice box. There is a main wifi, a guest version of the wifi, and a hotspot wifi. Does the guest wifi existing impact the strength of the main wifi? if so, how can i get rid of it?

    submitted by /u/JetEngineAssblaze
    [link] [comments]

    Question about routers.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 08:21 PM PDT

    I understand that routers are all interconnected and forward data from one to another, but do ALL routers do this? I feel like it doesn't make sense to have every router route packets that aren't only from the router's network.

    submitted by /u/GNUcat2
    [link] [comments]

    Network Connection Issues with IP Cams

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 08:09 PM PDT

    I just had ATT Fiber installed at home and I'm having an issue gaining access to my IPcams because of how they are connected. Here is my setup

    Fiber comes in to the ATT gateway. IP of gateway is 192.168.1.254

    Port 1 on the ATT gateway goes to a Nighthawk router with IP of 192.168.0.1. All is well on that side.

    Port 2 on the ATTgateway goes to a switch. That switch has 3 IP cams and a hardwire connection to another Nighthawk with IP 192.168.2.1.

    I need to be able to access the IP Cams on the switch. The only way to get to them is to connect a laptop into the switch. I've tried to look at rules on the ATT gateway but I dont see anything helpful. I can get to the gateway from either the 192.168.2.1.or 192.168.0.1 networks. I just cannot get to the cams...which I thought I could because of the same IP range of one of my networks being the same.

    submitted by /u/SmithSith
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for whole home VPN

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    So I was thinking about setting up a Whole home VPN, is there a piece of hardware that would do that? Or can I just set up software on router.

    I'm assuming hardware would be better than software on my router. I game a lot if that helps any. I also have modem and router separate with cox internet.

    I have a TPlink router, forgot the model but it has built in AP with 3 antennas

    submitted by /u/arbiterrecon
    [link] [comments]

    Comparing consumer WiFi APs with something like UniFi AC Lite

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 07:02 PM PDT

    So the router that came from my new ISP is crap and I'm looking to upgrade. Smallish single level house, wood stud walls.

    The Unifi Lite AC as a standalone AP without a controller has been recommended (disable wifi in my router and cat cable to the Unifi). But these days I'm less about fiddling with settings etc and more about plug and play and having something look nice!

    As wifi has been fairly good in this house prior, I don't think I even need more than one AP, maybe might add one or two more in the future (garage, kitchen). So I've been looking at things like Velop and Orbi as well, but just starting with one.

    Cabling to a ceiling mount for the Unifi at the moment is not something I want to do, so I'm leaning to one of the consumer models listed. But networking forums seem to be full of people trashing consumer vs pro.

    submitted by /u/Impressive_Equal
    [link] [comments]

    Which is the best ~$60 dollar router? ASUS RT-ACRH13 vs NETGEAR R6230 vs Linksys EA6900?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 06:59 PM PDT

    Even though the Linksys EA6900 seems like the best on paper I'm a little hesitant to buy a Linksys router ever since they got bought out by Belkin. The fact that the last firmware update for it came out in early 2018 doesn't really fill me with a lot of confidence. Along with the fact that I don't have any devices that support 3x3 ac and the antennas seem kind of puny.

    I'm leaning toward the ASUS RT-ACRH13 since it's 4 big antennas seems like it would do the best over long distances (I live in a long house).

    The NETGEAR R6230 seems to be decent too, but I want to get a second opinion.

    submitted by /u/xonez2
    [link] [comments]

    How do I setup my router so every time I reboot it all the ips dont change.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 05:40 PM PDT

    How do I setup my router so every time I reboot it all the ips dont change. Its for my smart devices, so that their ips dont change every time

    submitted by /u/dotcomdock
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a major difference between Strict and Moderate NAT Type?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 05:27 PM PDT

    Is there a major difference between Moderate and Strict NAT types? They seem to be pretty much the same; all of them do not have certain ports forwarded (especially the incoming ports) but does it occur that on Strict NAT Type both outcoming and incoming ports are not opened and has very limited connectivity to certain functions? Because as far as I know, Moderate NAT means most ports are opened except one or two that usually used for incoming ports that serve as the ability to host a service. I would appreciate an explanation to this.

    submitted by /u/Sincronics96
    [link] [comments]

    please, what is (and what is for) iSCSI in layman's terms?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 05:10 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm struggling with the reading on wikipedia and other docs online.

    I remember the old SCSI disks and funny cables, but I can't get a grasp on what iSCSI is.

    Many thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/horizonrave
    [link] [comments]

    please, what is (and what is for) a reverse proxy in layman's terms?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 05:09 PM PDT

    thanks a lot! :)

    submitted by /u/horizonrave
    [link] [comments]

    Modem won't work in another room

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 03:25 PM PDT

    Hi guys. I'm trying to move my modem from my basement to my room so that I can hook up Ethernet to my PC. Currently my modem is in my basement. I moved my modem and router to my room and hooked it up to the coax cable there, then I went to the basement (where the power box is) and connected the input cable (what I'm assuming gives us internet) to the coax cable connected to my room. At first, it wouldn't work at all. I have a Arris sb6141, and the first 4 lights would turn green after flashing blue for a bit until the online symbol started flashing green, in which it would all restart and repeat the process.

    This happened for a bit until finally the online symbol stayed green and the internet worked! However after about 3 minutes the internet dropped again and the flashing lights process restarted itself. This leads me to believe the coax cable to my room is damaged, in which case I have zero hope to get the router in my room. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the issue could be?

    submitted by /u/tidusblitzace
    [link] [comments]

    Phone repeater for entire neighborhood

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 03:21 PM PDT

    This may be a little out of the scope of this sub, it being HOME networking after all, but it's the only one I know of that this somewhat fits in and is very active.

    I live in a very rural area with spotty phone service most of the time and slow service at the best of times. My neighbors also have this problem. The issue isn't just inside our houses either, the entire area could use better service in general.

    That brings me to my idea, I have a TV antenna on a 24ish foot pole and it can support more than that. Could it be possible to essentially make a cell site out of it? If it was, what kind of equipment would I need to do that?

    An antenna about 3 feet under the TV antenna pointing at the nearest cell site with the best antenna arrangement on itself, the nearest only has it's array facing the other direction, and antenna a little below that facing the neighbors. Then of course the amplifier and repeater in between.

    The only problem is finding equipment that can do that for an affordable price if at all. The most expensive repeaters are rated for 20,000sq ft. The area I need to cover is roughly 210,000sq ft according to Google maps. If I could even find something that can handle such a demand I would probably require a license to use it and registration with the FCC because of the power it broadcasts with, and I can't do that without kidneys either.

    submitted by /u/Battleboy43
    [link] [comments]

    Do MoCA adapters pass STP BPDUs?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 02:51 PM PDT

    I have two Actiontec ecb6200's that are linking switches upstairs and downstars and I can't seem to get spanning tree to run through them. Then again, I'm trying to configure a 2960G and a much lesser TP-LINK switch, so it could be that I just have the configuration wrong. My 2960 reports many BPDUs sent but none received through the link, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the tplink device to display STP debug messages. Rather than try and run wireshark or something I was wondering if anyone knew offhand if MoCA adapters ate STP packets.

    Not that I really need to be running STP at all on that link, because there's no way someone's going to create a loop. But I'm a sucker for punishment.

    submitted by /u/tpk5010
    [link] [comments]

    Wall plug cable modem

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 02:51 PM PDT

    Hi all – Would a wall plug cable modem be awesome or what? I've seen wall plug wireless routers or mesh units (Orbi, Plume). But I'd really like to see a cable modem. It would get it out of the way, and a wall plug location doesn't compromise the function of a cable modem the way it might do with a wireless router or AP. Cable modems are wobbly nuisances, and I hope in the next generation we see some compact wall plug models. Here's a simple illustration.

    At first I sketched out some concepts of cable modems that screwed directly onto a coax wall jack. But then it hit me that of the two points where a cable modem has to meet the wall – coax and power – it actually made more sense to have it mounted to a power outlet. Reasons include:

    • Predictable orientation. A coax-mounted modem would be screwed on with an unpredictable final orientation. I need the coax and LAN port to be on top, not facing some random direction.
    • One less output
      • A coax-mounted modem needs outs for power, LAN, and coax. It needs coax because if it's deployed near or behind the entertainment center, the user might need coax for TV too. So a cable modem that blocks the cable outlet needs to have a built-in splitter and coax out.
      • A power outlet mounted modem needs outs for LAN and coax. One less out.
    • It opens the possibility of plugging it into power strips / surge protectors. This would require a horizontal, wide aspect ratio design, as opposed to the vertical one in the illustration.

    It would be fun to do a kickstarter to design and build better modems, and perhaps routers, but I'm probably not the right person for such a huge task. I just liked playing with the concept.

    A modem that is maybe half the volume of typical modems would be more than small enough for a clean wall-mount design. I reckon that existing modems use pretty old semiconductor process nodes, probably older and larger than 28 nm, so next-gen modems could easily be downsized with smaller dies and so forth.

    Existing modems are also mostly hollow/empty inside, perhaps for cooling and/or mere convention. Smaller processors would help with the cooling too. We really ought to be able to build a combined modem+router that's half the size of today's modems given that Apple sold tiny wall-plug routers over 10 years ago (and they were highly rated). The chips in those must have used an ancient process node.

    Built-in MoCA would be sweet too, basically replacing one MoCA adapter.

    submitted by /u/Solar111
    [link] [comments]

    New NICs cause a bsod when installing drivers

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 02:22 PM PDT

    Hey all, recently I picked up a couple SolarFlare SFN5122F NICs to run a DAC cable between my main pc and a server/render farm and I'm running into a very odd predicament where if I try to update the drivers automatically on EITHER machine, I get an instant BSOD (can't remember the error code I'll post it in the comments when I get a chance later)

    What could be causing this issue? I did check solarflares website and it lists the NICs to be compatible with win8 server, I am running win 10 pro on both machines which is the odd ball out that both machines run. Specs: Main pc: 6700k MSI Z170a- pro 16gb ddr4 Misc SSD's and HDD's EVGA GTX 1080

    Server: 2x Xeon x5687 Supermicro 8XDTE 96gb ddr3 ecc Wd blue boot drive, Seagate constellation raid array Msi GTX 750

    Any help is greatly appreciated and as I said I will post the error code in the comments when I can!

    submitted by /u/halihunter
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for recommendations for optimal home setup

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 12:53 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    In need of some help with my network setup at home.

    Some baseline information: - 200sqm across 3 floors and basement (new build with reinforced concrete walls and ceilings) - cat 7 cables available throughout the house with ceiling mounts on the landing - need reliable WiFi for work, streaming (music/video) and gaming - would like to incorporate a NAS at some point

    What do you think would enable the above in the most efficient and effective way? Thanks in advance for your help!

    P.s. I enjoy a challenge

    submitted by /u/CheGuevara1987
    [link] [comments]

    Forwarding ports (external/ internal IP?)

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 12:42 PM PDT

    Hey there,

    I was just trying to forward some ports. I looked up my IPv4 in ipconfig (Windows 10) which shows me one address.
    I found that address in my Fritzbox and added the ports there as an exception. Now I wanted to test if the forwarding worked on https://canyouseeme.org/ but it didn't work, also showing me a different IP.

    My understanding so far is, that my router channels all network devices over one IP which is my "external" IP? Over an external IP-Finder I found exactly that IP.

    My question now though: How can I forward the ports if I get an external IP? Do I need to somehow tell my router to send me through with my normal IP?

    Sorry if some of the things I say sound weird but I'm really not savy in this, just trying to understand and fix it.

    Thanks in advance! :-)

    submitted by /u/hugg3rs
    [link] [comments]

    Linking LAN's over 100 feet

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 12:23 PM PDT

    My parents have internet at their house and for the last few years I have been using a netgear r7000 router with DDWRT setup in repeater mode to repeat off their router which is an asus rt-5300. I have wired and wireless clients on my lan using hardwire and ddwrt's virtual access point on 2.4ghz. Repeater bridge always gives me issues with DHCP, don't know why. My house is about max 125 feet from theirs. My speed is great at times and others its slow and sometimes I have to restart my router to get internet back. Recently my r7000's ping will be in the 5000ms max range and the internet won't work at all till restarted. This always happened but use to be rare, now its every few minutes. I am pretty sure the r7000 is dying and I'm sick of the network backbone being unreliable.

    I am wanting to move away from wireless due to the bandwidth we are all now pulling doing TONS of video streaming, security cameras etc and leave the WiFi bandwidth to them only for their use. My first thought was to get a cat 7 direct burial cable( for future proofing ) and run it through buried pex water tubing( offers as much protection as I need and its the cheapest conduit I can think of for extra protection) between our houses but then read about having to protect against lighting and don't know if I need protection with that short of a run or what I would even need. I could go with fiber but then need to get converters for the Ethernet routers plus I know VERY little about fiber or what I would need as well. I also read about mikrotik's wireless Gbps link but again I'm inclined to the reliability and bandwidth of wired as well as prioritizing their wireless bandwidth.

    What would you guys do if your primary concerns were infrastructure and bandwidth reliability, relative future proofing( I can't think of ever needing more than 1gbps but its nice to be ready) and cost? I could potentially do an aerial wire between our houses instead of running cables underground such as with the fiber. That appeals to me for ease of installation.

    submitted by /u/dragonhelix820
    [link] [comments]

    Need an assist on deciding which router to go with for SQM/QoS for online gaming.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 11:54 AM PDT

    Hey guys! I am looking to purchase a router under $100 that has some good traffic management. The internet I have to work with right now is around 20 down and 2 up. It's not fantastic but it's what I have to work with. I enjoy playing me some Battlefield V and I get terrible ping spikes and just a generally unstable connection when someone else in the house begins to stream some TV via the Chromecast, be it Netflix, Hulu, whatever.

    I have read that the Edgerouter X is a great budget option as well as an Archer C7 flashed with OpenWRT but I can't decide which route to go between those too. I already have two functioning wireless routers that I can configure as access points so the lack of wireless capability on the ER-X wouldn't be too big of an issue.

    It's my understanding that with the C7 and OpenWRT I would have access to the Cake queuing discipline and that the Edge's discipline is fq_codel which is a bit older and not quite as good. However, with my connection being as low speed as it is would any of that matter?

    Hopefully I'm not contributing too much to the massive amounts of these kind of posts that come through here. I've researched several different existing threads and am still on the fence about what to go with here. Thanks in advance for any responses!

    submitted by /u/HotSauceZee
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel