• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, July 1, 2019

    IT Career Three rounds of interviews just to be told that I was asking for too much money

    IT Career Three rounds of interviews just to be told that I was asking for too much money


    Three rounds of interviews just to be told that I was asking for too much money

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:03 AM PDT

    Sysadmin type of position, I have over three years of experience in the field and am looking for new employment opportunities. I had absolutely crushed it in all the interviews just for my recruiter to tell me that this company loved me but wants to bring in someone at around 40k, and that my asking for 54k priced me out of the position.

    I'm not mad that they want to bring in someone at a lower price. I'm irritated because they knew how much I wanted compensation wise from the initial phone call! Why then make me travel three separate times to the head office to interview more???? The entire time knowing that you weren't going to bring me on specifically because there was a difference in compensation need vs. wants?

    Fuck shitty companies that do this

    Ok rant over, had to get that out.

    submitted by /u/MassCommPerson
    [link] [comments]

    Your Favourite IT training website

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 01:41 PM PDT

    Hi,

    These are the one I know and would love to see what you guys know.

    CBT Nuggets (hands down )love their instructors

    Linux Academy (Started with Linux now pretty good training with labs all over)

    Acloudguru (Cloud training Gods)

    ITporTV

    Ccna 60 days paul browning

    howtonetwork

    Cybrary (Security Training Gods)

    Microsoft MVA

    PACKT

    SAFARI

    LYNDA-----Do you know you get free membership through your library if you are in USA and Canada many people dont ;)

    Informit

    VTC

    Share what you guys know and show me down that I still don't know enough :)

    ***************************************************************************************************************

    Newer one discovered so far with other people help

    NetworkLessons.com (for CISCO )

    Immersive labs (UK based Cyber OP courses but for corporate level only not for public)

    Techsnips.io (random IT training )

    informit

    VTC

    submitted by /u/manuce94
    [link] [comments]

    How to extend your summer internship ?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:26 AM PDT

    Hello every one,

    My summer internship in software development ends next 9 days. I want to get another month as internship at the company because I want to do more projects. Some employers told me to send a message to the HR team.

    I want to know what to say in this email ?

    should I just send a message like this one :

    "Hello,

    Is it possible to extend my summer internship for one more month.

    Thank you."

    I am not good with sending emails so I want some suggestions.

    [EDIT] : Thank you guys, I wrote an email expressing why I am interested to continue the project and what value I could add and after few hours I got a response that's they accepted to extend my summer internship for one more month.

    submitted by /u/taherooo
    [link] [comments]

    Is all help desk experience the same?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:27 AM PDT

    So I'm just now starting to study for my A+ certification and I had a thought. Once I pass my exam and get a job at a help desk, are all help desks created equal? I mean if I work at a hospital or school help desk helping with a few programs and maybe some basic PC troubleshooting, will that be viewed as the same type of experience as say I work for a corporate help desk that might be more focused on PC troubleshooting?

    submitted by /u/NowOrTater
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for career advice

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:34 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I'm looking for career advice for my situation. I'm in my mid 40's, working in IT Ops, stable job mostly dealing with VMware and storage. Decent income. Now the reason for my question and what worries me is that I'm a bit confused about whether my current career is sustainable due to the cloud, serverless and all that stuff as well as ageism. Obviously I still have some 20-25 years to go before I can retire, not sure whether to stay put and invest my time in getting better at virtualization and storage or try to jump to something else like the aforementioned cloud or maybe security as it seems to be a decent specialization. But that would probably mean (at least temporary) drop in income and starting at the bottom... Should I stay or should I go? :) What would you do? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/vmstorage
    [link] [comments]

    Question about your first starting wage

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:30 AM PDT

    I have a potential job interview for an IT position soon. I really hope I get the job and it will be my first IT job. The downside is that I will be getting paid less than my current job by almost $2 an hour which is a lot of money. However, having a job in IT is more important than how much I make.

    My question is that in general, how soon does the pay get decent from from your first IT job, whether through raises or applying for another job after you accumulate enough experience on your resume? I would consider decent at this point to be $15/hour.

    submitted by /u/OutColds
    [link] [comments]

    So I recently was offered an interview for an entry level help desk job. But before that, I had to take an assessment just to see if I could do what the job requires. I felt like I didn't do that well, but they still want me in for an interview. What should I say if they ask me about the assessment?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:25 AM PDT

    The questions were mainly geared toward Active Directory and network troubleshooting, stuff I don't really have much experience in. But I am currently studying for my A+ 1001 and would hope that once I complete both exams, I'd have some more in-depth knowledge on these topics.

    But at the moment, I haven't really worked much on AD or network configuration and troubleshooting. So how should I answer in a way that is honest yet doesn't make them say "Why did we even consider you?"?

    submitted by /u/petemarius0123
    [link] [comments]

    Intern issues

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:03 AM PDT

    i'm currently interning at a small IT company it was a one man show till i joined, the boss did everything and seems to be one of those people that has to do everything. when he brought me on he said he was all about teaching me and working along with a lot of stuff. after a while and being set in place he would most likely be leaving the country for a bit and i'd run stuff. currently don't see that happening before i leave in august since he can't get his stuff done. he is very unorganized and we can't even get a calendar of tasks made that has been the idea for a week now. i sit at the desk a client gives us and mainly do nothing all day since he's out doing stuff. i've worked on site once for a client cloning drives and that was a mess since hardware was rough. we use solar winds and can't use it cause he doesn't know how to and i watched some training but ticketing doesn't work and we never seem to be able to contact support to help. everything seems to snowball and clients appointments are getting missed often due to him being so unorganized. paying me also seems to be an issue since he pays me but it's always a different day and has issues waiting for money to be available. he's a really nice guy but in plain english just can't get his shit together and i feel that this might not be a good spot for me to stay. i would've liked to try to get a position with my company i interned last summer but this one came up first. i'm just unsure what to do and when i do bring stuff up he agrees we need to do it and we plan to hit it doesn't happen. i almost feel i should feel it out a couple more weeks to see if anything changed and maybe walk. any thoughts/advice is appreciated

    submitted by /u/carminehk
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone quit a job without another job lined up?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    As the title states im heavily contemplating quitting my current job and begin a full time job search and studying for certifications.

    A little background, i graduated from university end of 2017 and started working very shortly after that. I have been with the same company for about a year and half. Its an MSP im working 50+ hours a week plus on call 24/7 call for a week once a month. I currenly have security + and am working on CCNA to hopefully get before febriary, but i dont have much time to study as work has just picked back up again. Im am on the edge of burnout and am extremely unhappy.

    I do have enough saved up to go at least 7-10 months without a job, but hopefully it wouldn't take that long find another job.

    Has anyone done something like this before how did it work out for you ? Or should i try to just stick it out until i can find another job?

    submitted by /u/SpringOreo
    [link] [comments]

    I have half of a Master's in Information Systems. What to do with it?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:44 AM PDT

    Background: I used to work for a state university. One of the perks was that I could take classes there for free. I did this for a bit over a year and managed to get 5/11 courses done for a MIS degree for free.

    Last year I was laid off from the university due to budget cuts. I got another job, I tried to keep going by taking one class... it was just too much on me to go to class at 7pm at night after spending 8:30-6 at work mentally/physically. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy during this time as well which means that medically, I probably should not push myself to be driving home late (night class gets out at 10:30pm) after a long day and even at that I need to take care of myself and sleep (which means getting home before 11:30pm). This was easier to do when I was either working from home or working right next to class and the time was more justified because it was for free. After that semester was done and that class was done, I decided to take a break and kind of weigh my options for a while.

    It's been a while and I'm still not sure what to do. Doing night-school at the same place isn't an option for my own health/sanity. I'd ideally like to bag my 5 classes and finish the others online somewhere accredited and reputable (staying away from University of Phoenix and the like). I looked at Purdue Polytechnic Online (not to be confused with 'Purdue Global' which is Kaplan renting the Purdue branding, these are programs run from the real university) and they have a couple of Master's programs that look fine, are affordable, and when I spoke to their counselors, they were one of the few grad schools that would take my credits. This is sort of my plan if I can't think of anything else... Purdue is a nice school with a 'good name' that would mean more than just half of a degree, and I don't 100% subscribe to the idea that a master's in IS is 'useless' -- during my unemployed stint last year being in a program helped me get eyes I would not have gotten and project work I had done in the program got me the job I have now. My issue with Purdue's program is that it's very Project Management/Business focused and I am not sure that's the direction I wanna go. They have an analytics program but even that one is more PM-focused than I would like looking at the coursework. I'm not sure if a PM is something I wanna be. But I also suppose it wouldn't be a bad thing to be qualified for as I can always learn tech on my own...

    This program at Virginia Tech that allows for technical specializations or this MS of IT from UMass that seems more technically geared would be ones I'd apply to if they took my credits. But I noticed most master's programs don't transfer credits. Even WGU has it stated in their FAQ that they don't for their master's degrees. There's also Pen State's and John's Hopkins' amazing looking programs, but I definitely can't afford them if I could get in them and I doubt they take my credits either.

    So I am honestly not real sure what to do. Do I give up the master's degree and just increase my skills in other ways? Do I finish but with a degree I don't really know I want (spending time/money/effort to do so)? Do I wait a few years and just start this grad school thing from the top, in a different program?

    I was hoping maybe someone else had been in a spot like this and may have some insight on my options. Maybe there are options I haven't considered or programs I haven't looked at. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Jessiray
    [link] [comments]

    Industry vs Academia

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:31 AM PDT

    TL;DR: Graduated with my masters in IT about a month ago, I've been asked to apply for a 9-month temp. faculty position within the department at said university. I'm concerned that if I become a professor now and don't like it, it will hurt my chances of getting a position later due to lack of experience.

    Hello, so I feel I'm in a bit of an interesting position. About a month ago I graduated with my M.S in IT and also hold a B.S in CS. In the past I've talked with the chair of my department about why she became a professor, her thoughts on it etc. I've expressed my interest in possibly becoming one myself, but I wasn't fully sold on it. I was a graduate assistant for the year during my masters which included tutoring undergrads which gave me some introduction to it. Come the end of the spring semester I was told that I should apply for the departments upcoming temp. faculty search. It would be a 9-month contract and I would be paid an okay amount. I told her I would consider it and I would prefer to get some experience in industry before jumping straight in to teaching.

    Well its now about a month later and I'm still searching for a job. I've had some interviews which I thought were successful, only to get contacted to say they were considering other candidates.

    I'm worried that if I end up taking this temp position, it would only hurt me in the long run if I decide that being a professor just isn't for me. Come next May when my contract is up, I'd find myself in the same position again, except instead of having industry IT experience, I was just a professor for the previous year and now a year out of college.

    Are these valid concerns? People I've asked are seemingly split down the middle on whether I should do it or not.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/trick_rick
    [link] [comments]

    Stable IT jobs

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 04:41 PM PDT

    What are the IT fields that don't change a lot over time? I've tried android development for over two years and ended up hating my life because it required me to sacrifice all my time including weekends to keep myself updated. I quit after an internship. I want a less complex, less abstract, more stable job, especially a one that doesn't require an intense continuous learning. I'm a slow learner and want to enjoy life outside work with my family. I don't care about having a high salary.

    Small Edit : - I'm 28 and I have a CS bachelor degree. - I'm a foreigner living in France so getting a gov job is very hard! Anyway I get the idea of joining a large company. - I have put in efforts to learn, I just can't learn on the fly. I had a very hard time understanding basic software design patterns and doing advanced maths (Algebra, Analysis, Calculus). - I'm an ISTJ on MBTI if this helps. - I really need your help, I had some suicidal thoughts not so long ago and I had to see a psy.

    submitted by /u/hotblaze19
    [link] [comments]

    IT Career Switch?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:30 AM PDT

    I signed up to a course with a company called IT Career switch. Their offer was they could guarantee me a job in IT or my money back.

    Has anyone ever done something like this before? Are these types of companies legit or do they have certain catches?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Two-Pack-Shaker
    [link] [comments]

    Desktop Support Technician

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:26 AM PDT

    Anyone have experience working as a Desktop Support Technician for Dept of Defense? What was it like?

    submitted by /u/Aventus1601
    [link] [comments]

    Career Prep While In High School, Seeking Advice

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:11 AM PDT

    My sister is in high school and is at that point where she wants to find what she would like to do for a living. I want her to try IT, specifically software or cloud. She is willing to take some classes and learn over the summer to see if she has an interest in it. What would you recommend for a 16-year-old to study? Paid or Free courses, with a preference on free.

    submitted by /u/MANNYKINGS
    [link] [comments]

    Some advice in pursuing IT

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:52 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I was looking for advice on how I should pursue IT with my current work and education experience. I researched many posts here and haven't found an answer for someone exactly similar to me. So I have no college education at all. And as many people posting, I have zero IT experience but I do have a lot of customer service experience in call centers. I make very good money right now with a good company in the insurance industry, I've just never really liked doing what I do, I'm just here for the money really. Using the "IT Career Roadmap" I'm wanting to follow the Security, Network, or Cloud path. Many people say to skip the A+ cert but then some say get it so I want to know where I should start given my current background? Should I get a help desk job? Or stay where I am and use the extra money to get certs or go to school? I may have a good referral from someone in a good position in IT for a good company. Also I can forward my resumé to someone if it helps too. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Tryxter92
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have experience/advice on moving from Sysadmin/Syseng to a VAR in an architect role?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:38 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    So, a little background on me: I'm 25, no IT degree (History Education, aw yeah), currently working as a Linux Engineer II for a big telecom. I've been here about a year and 2 months now - before this, I was at a medical lab as the sole sysadmin (All Windows :'( ) for 700 users, 1000 devices in 19 locations. I handled all of the networking, storage, virtualization, server management, desktop allocation, 3D scanners, etc. so I had a solid grasp of the infrastructure. I was there for a year - so total I have about 2 years of professional IT experience.

    I was reached out to by a manager on LinkedIn for a job with a VAR nearby - they provide complete vertical solutions architecture for companies that need infrastructure help. Basically they go in and help you design/redesign your architecture top to bottom, and also provide the hardware and software itself to make it happen. The job is for an Associate Pre Sales Solutions Architect, and would be a 65~ percent pay raise (70k/yr to around 115k/yr, no commission). They offer unlimited PTO (whatever), 15k in paid training a year, pay for you to go to DockerCon, AWS re:Invent, etc. and it seems to be a very, very good company based on their glassdoor reviews and whatnot. I'm thinking this is too good to be true, but I interviewed with the whole team on Wednesday and they seem very, very good at their jobs and look like I'd work well with them.

    Does anyone have any advice or a similar experience? This is for an associate role in which I'd be ramped up to a full Solutions Architect over the course of a year, so my lack of qualifications isn't really an issue. I work daily with logical and network diagrams, load balancers, various Linux OSes, Elastic, Puppet, Ansible, etc. so I'm familiar with low-to-the-ground infrastructure, it's just the high-level concepts that are new to me. I'm scared because 1: this is very far from anything I've ever done, 2: this is a sort-of sales role (we come in AFTER they have reached out to our sales rep or their account manager), and 3: I suffer from impostor syndrome badly, but the opportunity to get paid training doing exactly what I want to do (architecture), a great salary, work with good people, and travel a lot makes me excited.

    Sorry for the small novel, just having trouble condensing my thoughts. Thanks for reading, and for any advice!

    tldr: About to get a job as an entry-level Solutions Architect when I only have 1 year of Windows experience and 1 year of Linux experience - any advice/similar experiences out there?

    submitted by /u/huckler
    [link] [comments]

    Mixed IT/Finance jobs

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:37 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I'm in my 30s, have worked as a programmer, project manager and proxy product owner for cash management and financial reporting IT applications in banking. I have recently finished a second Masters in Finance Markets, but I'm somewhat lost in where I should go now.

    I'd like a career that mixes IT skills with financial knowledge. Any ideas? Data science, algorithmic trading applications, risk management automatisation ?

    I'm in continental Europe.

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/RandomName315
    [link] [comments]

    My resume is only a half-page. How can I make this longer?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:33 AM PDT

    I got my first IT job last year, but they are unfortunately shutting down the business.

    I have some college experience, but no certs. What can I add to make my resume longer?

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Baston5
    [link] [comments]

    Working remotely

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:29 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    So its been a bit over 1 year that im working as a Yocto Developer (developing linux distributions) and at this point, im questioning if im reaching the goals i've been aiming for.

    I moved to Sweden to study software engineering and the only time i actually really liked it was when i was doing embedded systems. Thats when i got more into linux and at this point, im happy about the work i do but i want more out of it. I want to be able to work remotely and also have a better salary. I was thinking that maybe changing the field of IT might help with that and i was hoping you guys can help me out with suggestions. I already did a lot of dev ops on the current company and thought that maybe that would be a possibility.

    For those that work remotely, what field are you on?

    What about freelancing? What possibilities do you have there?

    submitted by /u/JumpFrom10thFloor
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to get back into IT after a 3 year hiatus working in sales: Advice?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:20 AM PDT

    Hi all. Seeking some advice as I'm in a bit of a weird predicament. I was in the US Navy as an IT and got out in 2016. I started off doing essentially help desk and went on to work basically as a junior network admin. After getting out I was unable to find a job paying what I needed as the provider of a 5 person family so I ultimately took a job in sales. Over the last 3 years here, I've completed my bachelor's degree in Computer science, got a CCNA, and a Network+ certification. Now that my kids are a little bigger, my wife has begun working again so our finances are in a much better position for me to afford a paycut. After 3 years of sales I've come to realize as an adult that regardless how much money you make, if you hate what your actually doing... it's not worth it. Sales is not me.

    I plan to finally make the jump back into IT (hopefully) around February of 2020. If I had the choice I would seek today but to be honest, we get BIG Christmas bonuses and my wife and I made an agreement that I can leave after I get this year's Christmas bonus (they can range from 5-15k). We are working on paying off our cards and it's a hard argument to make regarding skipping a potential 5 digit check.

    I have approximately 6 months before I really start putting in applications hard and I want to focus on either getting one more cert or spend all my time learning programming. This is not one of those "What cert can I get to skip entry level" posts. I accept that I've been out of IT for 3 years and it is very likely I may have to work the entry level and build up from there; I'm totally fine with that. My main focus is, what can I do now, so that when I AM on the entry level, I can work my way up a little faster?

    If you were in my situation, with junior network admin experience, a degree, and a ccna; what would you do in those 6 months to help solidify success?

    submitted by /u/BluePieceOfPaper
    [link] [comments]

    MTA 98-366: Networking Fundamentals

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 06:31 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I am planning on taking the mta 98-366 exam soon. So I was hoping if anybody has taken this exam recently could provide with some insight on the exam, as far as what type questions will be on the exam, and what topics it mainly focuses on. Thanks in advance the help.

    submitted by /u/MrAmazin2k19
    [link] [comments]

    Could the grass always be greener on the other side?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 06:28 AM PDT

    I'm desperate to leave my current work where the org is great and they tell me that I'm valued, have asked me to stay and gave me more $$ (mind you, I should've got the pay rises anyway a while back). I fear I'm making a mistake bc of all the opportunities at this place, but my heart tells me I need move on.. that's all.. a feeling... The right thing is probably to stay and try to move around in other areas of the org but I fear that I've become someone I don't like in this org.. and I'm not proud of who I am right now. Have you used your instinct before in work and would you do it again??? I'm so confused!! I also just want to see how another org runs, as I've been here around 14 years!!! I hope you can help.....

    submitted by /u/imsmithh
    [link] [comments]

    Resume Review

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 06:24 AM PDT

    I'm looking for some more advice on my resume. I've had many people look at it, including my supervisor at my internship right now and family and professors. They've given me good tips to improve it, I just wanna get some more advice before I begin applying. The AWS, Azure and VMware section is one I'm not starting till next week, though I've looked at it a little in my free time. I'm looking at entry-level IT jobs for when I finish my internship in a few weeks. I was looking at help desk, systems analyst, and field tech positions, since that seems to be most of the entry-level IT jobs out there in my area (Chicagoland). I know it goes over a page, I'm just not sure if/how to trim it down. Also, this isn't formatted for any specific job.

    https://i.imgur.com/AXwijeD.png https://i.imgur.com/0abdbDf.png

    submitted by /u/JoeyIsACoolKid
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel