• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, September 27, 2018

    Linux How can i export all my current Ubuntu settings to install in a new Ubuntu fresh install?

    Linux How can i export all my current Ubuntu settings to install in a new Ubuntu fresh install?


    How can i export all my current Ubuntu settings to install in a new Ubuntu fresh install?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 10:14 AM PDT

    Is it possible to also get a list of all programs for me to know the ones i need to install ont the ne fresh install? Any tool that does this? I did some things that connot revert on my old ubuntu, i want to make this painless as possible...

    submitted by /u/Don-g9
    [link] [comments]

    Steam will only run properly as root

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 05:58 AM PDT

    So i just successfully made dual booting possible in my pc and i'm currently running Ubuntu 18.04. I've tried different methods that i've searched for online about how to install Steam. Well it did get installed, the problem is that everytime i run Steam it always has that 200+mb update. However, when i run it as root in the terminal it opens up just fine without the update. I'm wondering if any of you guys encountered the same problems and if so have a fix so that i don't need to run it using root all the time?

    submitted by /u/ambivalentRaf
    [link] [comments]

    You can pre-order System76's Linux-powered open source 'Thelio' computer next month

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 07:40 AM PDT

    Adding to/changing an existing live usb

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 02:10 PM PDT

    I currently have an 8 gb flash drive with the gentoo live startup cd written to it using rufus. I believe it is formatted as Fat32. I don't want to get rid of that liveCD, in case I need it for maintenance on my gentoo machine, but I want to put SystemRescueCD on the drive to copy the data off an old machine. Is there a way to add SystemRescueCD or another OS to the same USB without overwriting gentoo?

    submitted by /u/DiceMaster
    [link] [comments]

    Upgraded (auto upgrade) my old Lenovo from ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04.1

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 02:09 PM PDT

    And... IT WORKED FIRST TIME. Everything is on, working, all the hardware is in place, printers, network, programs etc. Gnome Extensions have magically started working too.

    That is all.

    submitted by /u/gnossos_p
    [link] [comments]

    Antergos xfce - wifi shuts down after locking, network activity resumes only after unlocking

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 03:10 AM PDT

    Whenever I walk away from my laptop I have a habit of locking it (security reasons and such). Unfortunately, this also seems to disable wifi activity - all downloads and uploads become stalled. When I move my mouse to turn the screen back on, most the network activity resumes.

    I lock the system with 'xflock4'. This, as far as I know, should lock the session, but keep everything running behind the powered off display. Correct me if I'm wrong and please direct me on how to keep wifi on :)

    Hardware: Thinkpad X230

    submitted by /u/relu84
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu 18.04 god awful touchpad support

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 05:09 PM PDT

    So I've been running Ubuntu on my Thinkpad t450 since 16.10, and the touchpad hasn't gotten any better since then.

    It randomly double clicks while I'm typing and accidentally graze it (often leading to me typing somewhere else, or even accidentally closing the tab that I'm on or website), it'l switch from regular scrolling (my default) to natural randomly and scroll to the top of a document, among other things.

    I've tried the old method which was to remap the area of the touchpad but that didn't really work. I also turn on touchpad indicator when I gotta type a lot, but for some reason it makes scrolling clunky and even worse than it was before.

    I'm posting here to ask if there is an easy way to get really good touchpad support with Ubuntu? I really like the operating system but this has pissed me off so much that I'm thinking of switching back to windows even though I don't really like it and it runs like crap.

    submitted by /u/Sp00kySkeletons
    [link] [comments]

    KDE Interactive Notifications?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 08:52 AM PDT

    Hey all-

    Far from a Linux noob, but I'm having a serious noob experience since I've swapped over to KDE Plasma from Gnome (previously a strictly CLI guy). I loved Gnome for a long time and made heavy use of its built-in notifications system which permitted interactive notifications: for example, a new email in Thunderbird generating a notification that was clickable and would pull the Thunderbird window and the new e-mail specifically, or when an archive extraction was finished I could click that notification to be brought to a Nautilus window with the extracted files. Made sense to me!

    I'm going absolutely out of my mind here because it seems like KDE's notifications tool offers no such functionality: notifications are static and non-interactive which is seriously driving me crazy: they exist strictly to notify and it's up to me to dismiss them (or wait to auto-dismiss) and then locate whatever it was talking about myself. Add to this it doesn't seem like there are a lot of alternative notification tools (if any?) available in the KDE store?

    I love KDE for its extensibility compared to Gnome but this is seriously hindering my workflow. Is this something KDE users have just learned to deal with, or am I missing something super simple somewhere? I feel like I'm totally misusing the notifications system as it pertains to KDE or I'm missing a tick-box somewhere that triggers the more expansive features that would make sense...

    Thanks in advance everyone- I appreciate it. Any other cool KDE tips are always appreciated if anyone wants to toss them my way.

    submitted by /u/agentpanda
    [link] [comments]

    A Problem with bash function

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 12:19 PM PDT

    Hey, i tried to create my own command to run Clion from terminal and i found a way to declare function without creating script :

    in terminal : function CLion { /opt/clion/bin/clion.sh "$1"; }

    so any time i want to run the app i call the function name,

    but when i restart my PC i have to declare it again and again , any solution ?

    submitted by /u/aimen08
    [link] [comments]

    How do I change the color of command that we write on terminal?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 10:44 PM PDT

    Just only the commands that we WRITE. but not the result.

    So that it's easier to read

    Esit: the terminal is Gnome-terminal

    submitted by /u/joetinnyspace
    [link] [comments]

    I need HELP: HOu can i Add more disk size to disk (resizing disk)

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 08:46 AM PDT

    After adding more than 40 GB to my virtual machine disk (from 42 to 90GB) now i cant reflect this space on my OS. Its still showing the old 42 GB.

    THis is the output of lsblk:

    sda 8:0 0 90G 0 disk └─sda1 8:1 0 90G 0 part ├─ubuntu--vg-root 253:0 0 39G 0 lvm / └─ubuntu--vg-swap_1 253:1 0 976M 0 lvm [SWAP] 

    How can i make the new 90G available to ubuntu--vg-root ?

    Note: Im running ubuntu 18.04 in a vbox machine.

    submitted by /u/Don-g9
    [link] [comments]

    Noob question from a noob

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 06:56 AM PDT

    Finally i decided to remove windows from my system and move to linux. After some research decided to go with Manjaro. But i thought i must try 2 types Manjaro with Linux Mint so i ended up with both now here is a question i faced after installing.

    There are no vpn clients available to configure like viscocity or any other. Some VPN companies provide GUI software for linux but most of the companies do not. So if i have 2 or 5 VPN companies and wanted to use them then the solution is to add their server in network manager one by one which will take days to be done. So why do not someone code a nice and sophisticated VPN client since linux is being developed more and more then like before?

    I know there is Pritunl VPN client which do not save your VPN login details and whenever you disconnect you have to enter details again and again.

    submitted by /u/garthpancake
    [link] [comments]

    Why aren't there many Linux distros based in the U.S.?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 06:33 AM PDT

    Any reason why the majority of YT vids and tutorials I see online are in Debian/Ubuntu and not RHEL/CentOS?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 03:19 PM PDT

    Just got Kubuntu. Installed something called cryotomator but it opens like this. Any idea why?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 07:41 PM PDT

    $SECURITY_DESCRIPTORs all over the NTFS volume, impossible to defrag - any ideas?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 11:11 PM PDT

    How to Compile Packages from Source? (Solus Linux)

    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 09:36 PM PDT

    Hi there, I'm using Solus and I'd like to be able to use the Brave Browser Dev version on Solus, but I can't just download it and it's not in the repository. I'd still like to be able to run it; is there any way I can do this?

    Solus uses Eopkg if that helps.

    submitted by /u/BaakiBree
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel