• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, April 17, 2022

    Home Networking Can i unplug this coax cable and use it for a wired network?

    Home Networking Can i unplug this coax cable and use it for a wired network?


    Can i unplug this coax cable and use it for a wired network?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 10:27 AM PDT

    Network+ Training Assistance for the folks who need it

    Posted: 17 Apr 2022 01:23 AM PDT

    Howdy folks,

    I'm delivering free training on the full CompTIA Network+ N10-008 course to help the folks out who need study resources who can't afford to pay for studies. Hopefully this helps some people.

    The videos are short and bite sized making it easier to follow and digest the content since it might be a bit overwhelming for some people.

    I'm putting the lessons into a playlist on YT which you can access here

    CompTIA Network+ Course

    submitted by /u/Infamous-Speaker-202
    [link] [comments]

    Switches with web management.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 11:11 PM PDT

    What 5 or 8 port switches under $30 can be configured over LAN ip?

    submitted by /u/BEDavisBrown
    [link] [comments]

    Does this look bad?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 04:08 PM PDT

    First time fiber looking for help/advice.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2022 01:59 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm building a home office in a separate building about 40 - 50m from the router in my house. Because of the amount of work involved in connecting the two building physically I'd like the solution to be as future proof as possible. In addition, my gf is a video editor and our file server will be in the main building.

    Current Situation

    This lead me to a 10G network in the office and fiber between the buildings. My router is the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro, and my other network equipment is Ubiquiti too.

    Questions

    I've never worked with fiber before, while I did some research I still have a bunch of question I was hoping to get some help with.

    • Is my conceptual understanding correct; I should get an OM cable terminated SFP+ on both ends and would be able to just plug this in?

    • Any specific kind of OM? For my distance I think it doesn't matter too much?

    • I was looking eg at fs.com (which I saw mentioned on this subreddit), however termination of cables there is not SFP+, I'm guessing I'm missing something. I'd have to buy one of the modules and select the right type of termination?

    • Would a cable like this if I find it long enough be exactly what I need? https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B01MYMK4GT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HGSCD2PGA00NP6WEGRCP

    • Any advice on how I could do this within the Ubiquiti ecosystem? They now have the Flex XG but it doesn't come with SFP. Is the UniFi Switch XG 6PoE my only other option? I see the Microtik CRS305-1G-4S+IN doing the same for almost a fifth of the price… Downside of Ubiquiti I guess?

    All advice is welcome! Thanks

    submitted by /u/dznn
    [link] [comments]

    Two routers settings for Bridge mode

    Posted: 17 Apr 2022 01:56 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I have 2 routers and NAS:

    A. Sagemcom Fast 5670 router from my ISP that blocks ports 443 and 80, with enabled Bridge mode.

    B. Xiaomi AX6 with opened ports 443 and 80, connected by cable to router A and getting Internet from it.

    C. Qnap TS-328 NAS with enabled webserver with ports 443 and 80, connected to router B.

    What additional settings I have to do on both routers in order to access my website from the Internet via static IP?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/winrazor
    [link] [comments]

    Home internet upload stability issue: The Speedtest of my home internet shows a weird unstable pattern in the upload speed. I measured it at a very short distance from the wifi router. How can I fix this?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2022 01:32 AM PDT

    Wifi faster than Ethernet

    Posted: 17 Apr 2022 12:42 AM PDT

    I have a Cat 6 Ethernet cable running from PC to router. I get like 10 MBPS, for some weird reason I just got 50 Mbps. With Wifi I can get download speeds of 2 mbps and with ethernet I get download speeds of 10-100 Kbps. Why is my download speed so much slower than my 50 GB plan? I'm downloading off of Google, Steam, etc. Thanks all

    Device manager says it looks good. Got AT&T

    submitted by /u/fortunatelydstreet
    [link] [comments]

    outside cable box from old ISP that we no longer have service with (how to remove it?)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 08:16 PM PDT

    We got into a big dispute with our former ISP & cable provider (Suddenlink / Altice) & we no longer want anything to do with them, except for the box that they installed some 15 years is still attached to the back off our house.

    It has a long cable that reaches to the back yard light pole that has the transformer on it. The cable recently got detached from the back wall during a heavy-wind storm this week & is now sagging down into our backyard.

    Legally, how do we go about getting the cable & the box removed completely? We no longer have service with Suddenlink / Altice & I'm not about to scale the light pole myself. Where do we go from here? (we have not contacted Suddenlink about this yet, I just wanted advice before doing so)

    Thanks very much!

    submitted by /u/ZeroGHMM
    [link] [comments]

    I just wanna play GTA4 with my friend in us

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 11:59 PM PDT

    I have no clue about any networking or anything just a Canadian dude that wants to play gta4 with his friend in the us. Is UPnP have to do with anything with me not being able to connect? since it stands for universal plug and play we think that since we both don't have a UPnP it means we can't connect to anyone other than our regional/local/country? Make it simple I have no clue on network stuff

    submitted by /u/CleanDead
    [link] [comments]

    Problems with arris Touchstone TG2472G Moca enabling

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 11:13 PM PDT

    I had bought the Touchstone TG2472G and screenbeam moca 2.5 adapter but of course the coax light doesn't light up on the adapter. I've tried enabling the moca 2.0 on the 192.168. Website but the indication box was grayed out and can't find any answers online regarding this. Also I bought this modem not rented by my isp. My only theory at the moment is either my splitters or my isp has to update the firmware on my modem.

    submitted by /u/ArtemistheGreatTTV
    [link] [comments]

    Having a strange connection issue, not sure what to do

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 10:17 PM PDT

    So I have Xfinity and have a ARRIS TG1682G gateway that they gave me. I am having this intermittent issue with my connection dropping, but not a full disconnect. I work from home and game online on weekend nights with friends. I use MS Teams for my job and Discord for gaming. Regardless of the time of day, there are occasions when my connection will "partially" drop for few seconds, usually 10-15. I say partially, because on both discord and teams, I will still be able to hear whoever I am in a call or meeting with or who ever I am voice chatting with. But they will not hear me, if my webcam is on, they won't see me(but I will still see them), if i am screen sharing it will drop(but again, I will still see their's if they are sharing) and it will kick me from whatever game I am playing. If I am listening to music or watching video, it will interrupt it, and browsing will also be interrupted. Then 10-15 seconds later I am back working like nothing happens. When this happens on MS Teams, I get usually get a low voice quality warning, on Discord my signal goes red. Rebooting my gateway does not fix this.

    Xfinity tech support has run diagnostics and says nothing is wrong on their end. Which doesn't surprise me because whenever I contact them I never seem to have an issue while they are looking at it. Of course its Xfinity tech support, so who knows if they are actually doing anything besides restarting my gateway.

    It will happen 20 times in a day, or only a few a day, or a couple times within an hour, then will be perfectly fine for weeks. No noticeable pattern. I have reset the gateway multiple times, checked the cable connection from the gateway, checked the ethernet cable to my pc, checked the network drivers on my pc. Only thing I can think of is either the gateway is going bad or their is a issue with the line outside. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Detroitanon2020
    [link] [comments]

    Affordable 2.5Gb/10Gb Switch Recommendations

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 06:29 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    As the title suggests, I'm looking for some switch recommendations. I have an HP 5500 HI 24x1Gb + 2x10Gb switch, but I would like to get a bit more throughput for a home lab. I'm hoping to find something that will be low power, as well.

    submitted by /u/sheeponmeth_
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have firmware for the GoCoax / Frontier WF-803FT MoCA adapter?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 09:59 PM PDT

    I picked up two of these MoCA adapters, the WF-803FT, and they are a modified version of the GoCoax WF-803M, this model is made specifically for Frontier and it's quite a bit cheaper than the WF-803M. I can't get any firmware downloads for it because I'm not a Frontier customer. Can any Frontier customer please upload the newest firmware?

    More info for the WF-803FT https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Formerly-Ethernet-Bandwidth-Companion/dp/B094X594F6

    My current firmware is 5.2.5.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/XacTactX
    [link] [comments]

    Velop system acting up?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 09:39 PM PDT

    Hi so I have a Linksys velop system and for somereason my roku streaming sticks will keep switching from node to node, I've disabled and enable client steering and node steering with no luck, I've also placed one of the nodes right next to one of the rokus! And it still will switch to a farther node?!?

    submitted by /u/CryptographerWeary64
    [link] [comments]

    Router high RAM usage responsible for poor performance? [ASUS Blue Cave]

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 06:01 AM PDT

    My ASUS Blue Cave router is constantly at >60% RAM usage; often it's around 80-90%. From 11:00 to 13:00 each day, the internet slows right down across all devices, regardless of how many devices we have connected, and regardless of whether they're connected via WiFi or Ethernet.

    It also slows down when my girlfriend is streaming TV shows on the 4K TV (connected wirelessly). I'm trying to determine if it's a problem with my ISP or the router.

    Does high router RAM usage slow it down significantly like high RAM usage on a PC does?

    As for my current internet connection speeds, I'm getting 332.4 Mbps download; 32.5Mbps upload; 8ms ping to a server <25 miles away from here.

    submitted by /u/writetowinwin
    [link] [comments]

    To mesh or not to mesh? 70+ devices (IoT, Cameras, Shield, etc.) $200-$300?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 02:35 AM PDT

    Hey people,

    I live in a mobile home, so it's not awfully huge. After suffering from several internet disruptions a day, I think my router is failing. I have A LOT of random IoT devices spread throughout my home with recently adding outdoor cameras - all of which have low wifi bars where they're at. I want to invest in a quality setup that will last for a cpl years to come.

    --Mesh setups seems to be good in big homes, but I'm interested in it so I can have a mesh-router nor far from each camera, so it should have a strong connection.

    --I also see Wifi 6 is kicking off, so I'm thinking a Tri-band router.

    --Having around 70 devices connected, and a lot of IoT switches, motion detectors, lights, etc., I want the router to handle A LOT of devices; at least 150.

    -I see some of the mesh setups have ethernet ports, but since they communicate via wifi, idk how that's supposed to work.

    -- Since I'm going the "Smart Home" route, Google Home voice control would be nice, but not necessary if the router doesn't need much maintenance.

    -- I have 5 kids online, 3 real young so I would LOVE a good parental control router.

    I could just get a regular router and a couple of access points and set it all up. Not really for sure on the best options for me are. Does anybody have any suggestions? Looking to spend around $300, give or take. Thanks!

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Z35GY6/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=3791365b7f2d3043b607227789fcb1a4&hsa_cr_id=7982868810801&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=44f8d8b8-3907-4a20-997a-8d859dd48f7a&pd_rd_w=9JU77&pd_rd_wg=HUDQF&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_img&th=1 Looks decent. As does:

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/TP-Link-Tri-Band-Wi-Fi-6-Mesh-Router-System-2-Mesh-Routers-Coverage-up-to-5-500-Sq-Ft-Deco-W7200-2-pack/128040017?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_R-6ysWwLPxyIU%3Axwtj1QdwqeUkGV9f3V0wxdUw0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_159047&clickid=R-6ysWwLPxyIU%3Axwtj1QdwqeUkGV9f3V0wxdUw0&sharedid=cnet&affiliates_ad_id=565706&campaign_id=9383

    --------------

    EDIT: (I replied to my post with the following)
    Okay, I've narrowed down my search to 2 different router systems.

    RT-AX86U Zaku II or Deco Xe75
    I wasnt planning on paying a montlhy fee for security on my IoT devices, but am okay with it now. I was steady internet, security and some parental controls to block the kiddos with, when need be. Would paying $6/mo for years to come be worth the Deco in comparison to the free Asus service?

    VoIP is also a feature that I want, and the USB ports on the Asus seem appealing for that reason.

    Both seem to be able to hold a lot of device connections (200 for deco), though I can't find numbers for Asus.

    submitted by /u/ShineHigh247
    [link] [comments]

    Weird Specific Issue with Opening Websites

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 08:15 PM PDT

    Hello! Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was worried my issue is a bit too specfic for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience in networking. I have a TL;DR at the bottom, just in case. My laptop can connect to my home network and access web pages just fine on Wifi. No issues whatsoever.

    However, I have a cafe that I take my laptop to where it will connect to the network (when I go to network and internet settings, it shows it's running fine and connected). However, it can't access/open any websites or any apps that goes online (e.g. Discord, Spotify, etc). It never says that there is no internet connection, just says site can't be reached or connection has timed out. However, it is ONLY my laptop that has this problem. Any other device can connect to the store's network just fine and open up any applications or web pages. It's specifically my laptop that can't. I considered it might be an issue with firewall (though I don't know much about that), but I figured that if it was a firewall issue, then it should block it regardless of the network I'm connected to.

    But, anywhere else, my laptop can go online just fine (e.g. hotels, home, random hotspots, etc.). I've already gone into my router's settings and found that my computer was successfully connected to the network. It's just that it can't open/run anything that requires a connection. Also, connecting via ethernet cable works perfectly, so it's just trying to connect and run via wifi that's creating problems. Again, the computer symbols shows it's successfully connected, the settings show it's connected, and even the error messages don't indicate it's because there's no connection, rather that it's being timed out.

    TL;DR: Laptop connects to any network just fine. But, only when connected to a specific network, any website/app is timed out, but it's only my laptop. All other devices work fine. When laptop is connected to any other network, there are no issues with running anything.

    Thank You!

    submitted by /u/pamma34
    [link] [comments]

    show Interface Status of L2 Switch Stack connected to FortiGate HA A-P (Active-Passive) cluster connected with LACP (802.3ad) -- strange for A-P set up

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 08:12 PM PDT

    I have two fortigate 602E(?) as an internal firewall and they are operating in FortiGate HA A-P (Active-Passive) cluster. They are connected to a L2 stacked switch with LACP (802.3ad) configured. Multi-switch link aggregation set up is applied for availability purpose so each member of the switch stack are connected to the FG A-P members. Two port-channel or channel group ID created and assigned so the channel-group members are aggregated to connect to each FortiGate HA A-P Cluster members as in port-channel 13 to FG-A and port-channel 14 to FG-B. What I wanted to verify here is whenever I apply show interface status on the switch, every member physical port and the LAG port-channel displaying Physical and logical status of UP/UP. I am a bit confused here because the What should be up would have been those that are connected to the Active or Master FG A-P cluster member and those that are connected to the Passive FG should have been inactive/detached, not UP/UP.#show int status

    Interface--------------------------------------------Description------------------------State(physical/logical)

    interface gigabitethernet 1/0/1---------Conn-TO-FG1-P1-------------------------UP/UP

    interface gigabitethernet 1/0/2-----------Conn-TO-FG2-P1-----------------------UP/UP

    interface gigabitethernet 2/0/1-----------Conn-TO-FG1-P2-----------------------UP/UP

    interface gigabitethernet 2/0/2-----------Conn-TO-FG2-P2-----------------------UP/UP

    interface Port-channel 13----------------------Conn-TO-FG---------------------------UP/UP

    interface Port-channel14-----------------------Conn-TO-FG2-------------------------UP/UP

    If FG1 is the active and FG2 is the passive one, then should port-channel14 and gig1/0/2 along with gig 2/0/2 be in UP/UP state along with the others?

    submitted by /u/Iscofe
    [link] [comments]

    Do routers and APs have to be from the same Manufacturer?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 07:53 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    I'm just getting my feet wet with building a home network, I've bought a new place and we will be replacing the carpet prior to moving in; so I figured it would be a good time to have some Cat6A cables run so I can wire in an ethernet backhaul.

    That said, I'm still researching brands, and ideally I'd like a very basic, hands free setup. I was wondering do the APs have to be from the same manufacturer as the router? I was probably going to buy a consumer level product (Nest, TP-Link, Eero or similar) but I wanted to have ceiling mounted APs (from say Ubiquiti) - would they work if I don't have a Dream Machine as the router/head unit?

    submitted by /u/various_necks
    [link] [comments]

    Home network setup advice

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 03:09 PM PDT

    I'm looking for some advice about my home networking setup...anything you can share is appreciated!

    Quick background: I have a computer science background, so I understand the basics of networking and am not afraid to get my hands dirty. I'm by no means an expert at networking, though, and while I'm sure I could learn enough to use some of the enterprise-type hardware, I don't have the desire to spend the time to do so at this point.

    My House: I have a ~4,000 sq ft bi-level home. The internet comes into the utility room in the lower level, where there is a patch panel and switch that has runs to the bedrooms, two to the office, kitchen, etc., but I don't have an easy way to run any new cables since they staples everything when they originally did it. This means I can't really install any APs in my ceilings (but if that's much preferred, I could probably find a way to do so).

    Internet and Devices: I have gigabit fiber internet through Verizon. I work from home and use zoom pretty constantly throughout the day. I directly wire my laptop via Ethernet. I have a roku ultra and roku 4K express, 6 ring cameras, and a few other laptops/tablets/phones on wifi. I also have a dozen or so misc IOT devices that connect on wifi (I put whatever I can on z-wave but don't always have the ability to). I currently have 4 APs throughout the house which offers good wifi coverage inside and outside; these are all just old routers in bridge mode plugged in to the Ethernet ports in various rooms, all with the same, single SSID.

    What I'm looking for (and what I don't think I need) * I want to monitor network traffic both within my network and to the internet. I sometimes notice slowness and I want to be able to pinpoint what device(s) are using up bandwidth

    • I want to have a separate SSID/VLAN for my IOT devices, mostly to prevent them from slowing down my main wifi, but also as a safety precaution. I need my main network to be able to access the IOT VLAN, but not the other way around

    • In theory a guest network would be nice, but I would want them to be able to cast to the Roku devices and/or connect to Spotify on the network. I haven't seen any great solutions here in my research, but maybe there's a way to do this that I missed.

    • I am not overly concerned about someone hacking my network locally and gaining access to files or laptops or whatever. I want to be protected for sure, but I don't think I need tons of firewall rules like I might if I was in a more populated areas where it may be more likely for someone to gain access physically.

    • I don't mind some initial setup to get things right, but I don't want to have to mess with stuff all the time. Adding a new IOT device or getting a new laptop would ideally be as simple as adding it to the right wifi network or plugging it in the the wall. This is for my own sake and my wife's.

    • I have young kids, so I want something that will allow me in the future to properly control their access to the internet and probably isolate them so any viruses they may get cannot impact the rest of the network.

    • I don't know if the roku devices will end up on the main network VLAN (recommendations welcome), but I will need to be able to stream/cast from my devices to them. I also want Spotify to be visible by and to all devices like it is today when it's on a single network. This allows me to start playing music on my phone, then control it from my laptop, and stream it onto the roku with my stereo later when I'm in the room.

    • I want local control on my network (not through the cloud), but with the ability for me to access remotely if something broke while I'm away. Presumably I could do this with a VPN

    I think that's the main stuff that I'm looking for. ubiquity unify seems great, but it's a bit pricey and I hear mixed reviews about it - it's buggy, upgrades break things, poor service, etc. I take it all with a grain of salt but it's worth noting. I also looked at TP Link Omada which looks nice. It doesn't seem to support mDNS yet which means streaming across VLANs won't work but I think they do everything else I would need. Are there other options I'm not considering? Do either of these solutions sound like the best fit for my needs?

    So…now that that's out of the way…What are your recommendations for hardware and how to set up the network? Is mounting the APs in the ceiling going to be a requirement or are there good options for APs to set on a desk/table? What else should I be thinking about?

    Sorry for the long post…if you got this far, thank you for reading and I appreciate any advice you can share.m!

    submitted by /u/dudeinparis
    [link] [comments]

    4g router and home networking

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 06:49 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I'm very new to this all, but I'm having this problem lately.

    At my house we don't have a very good wired internet connection due to the place we live.

    We have around 35 Mbps down speed.

    Now I'm using a 4g router as well. I. Addition to my standard router.

    Is there a way I can bundle these speeds so that my wired connection will also have increased speed?

    submitted by /u/Honest-Bug-7733
    [link] [comments]

    pfsense device with 2 ports under US$200

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 03:01 PM PDT

    Hey guys, i am looking for a PFsense capable device with 2 gigabit ports to use as gateway, firewall and DHCP for my home network.

    But because of tax laws in my country, i need one that is under USD$200 to be able to import it without issues.

    submitted by /u/frread
    [link] [comments]

    Question about performance/interference running ethernet near power cables

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 06:39 PM PDT

    Okay first things first - I welcome any roasting of my setup, provided I get the help I need (seems like a fair trade?). I set this up months ago, but I just learned what a patch panel was this week, so suffice to say I'm still learning this stuff.

    The house we bought had cat5e installed for phone lines. Replaced most of the plates with keystone jacks, crimped the other ends and connected them to this switch to connect everything. Has mostly been running great (far better than having everything wifi-only), but I'm seeing occasional issues and wondering how much interference might have to do with it.

    here's how looks: https://imgur.com/a/DtSOkVn

    My questions are:

    1. How much of an issue is it that these lines are being run so close to the power cables coming from the breaker panel? Some of these cables are run parallel to power lines up in the joists too, 10+ feet along. Should I be drilling new holes in the joists for the ethernet to be a distance from power?
    2. How much of an issue is it that the ends are run straight into a multiport switch, instead of into a patch panel first?
    3. What performance/monitoring tools exist for a user to test how much interference is occurring through a particular network or data line? Is it possible to do this? I have a cheap continuity tester for ethernet cables, so I'm positive they're all terminated correctly, but I'm not sure this is adequate for monitoring continuous performance of the line while in use.
    submitted by /u/hoorible
    [link] [comments]

    Would this work for my setup?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 02:52 PM PDT

    Just changed the wiring from phone to Ethernet it was all cat 5e. Modem is upstairs with 2 gig ports. One is connected to a wifi 6 router the other from the modem is plugged to the wall. Or can I not use that second port? My plan is to take that cable in the wall and connect to a switch in the basement. The rest of my cables going to the other rooms plug into that to provide internet to the rooms. Some rooms may get another switch to plug a tv Xbox etc.

    Would this work? 1gig internet btw

    submitted by /u/Haasluv
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel