• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, August 2, 2019

    IT Career Management told me to stop pursuing certs

    IT Career Management told me to stop pursuing certs


    Management told me to stop pursuing certs

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 08:25 PM PDT

    I currently work on the Help Desk. Over the past couple of months I've been studying AWS and so far I've gotten the Solutions Architect and the SysOps. Today I was told that I need to stop learning about cloud stuff and focus on being the best person on the Help Desk. Keep in mind that I'm doing all my studying on my own time and the other people at my work do not learn new skills that benefit the Help Desk at home. Not really sure how to react to this other than to just hide my studying and any new certs I acquire.

    Edit: I heard that my company is starting a cloud department and there was a need for this skill set. I'm now certified and asked about when something might be happening in regards to the new department. I believe this is what prompted the meeting. Looks like I got certified way faster than they thought I would and the new department may be a long way off. Like a lot of you said they probably just don't want to lose me, but I will ultimately have to move on.

    Also, my studying is not effecting my performance. I'm not the best analyst, but I know how to fix a lot of problems and I teach the newer people things.

    submitted by /u/KING_WINSOME
    [link] [comments]

    I got a part-time IT Support Technician job!

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 06:25 AM PDT

    I (21F) am in my last and final semester of undergrad studying Business Administration with a concentration in IT, set to graduate this December from an accredited 4-year university. Grad is only 4 months away and I've been actively enhancing my resume, studying to take the CompTIA A+ exams (soon to add Security+ and Network+ sometime next year), and doing whatever else I can to make me secure a full-time job by January after grad.

    I applied for an on-campus IT tech role in the math and statistics department last week, got a reply back 2 days later to go for a interview earlier this Tuesday, and got an acceptance email yesterday, enthusiastically wanting me to join the team and to start next Monday (compared to starting in 3 weeks)! It all happened so quickly and I can't be more excited to have such a credible role on my resume.

    Prior to this, I only had previous self-taught experience of building desktop PCs for myself and other people and not so much of a "real life" job pertaining to such. But now that I have secured this, it makes me feel like I can take a deep breath and know that I am well on my way to acquiring a full-time position.

    This last semester will be hard juggling a full-time student schedule, 15-20 hours of IT work, studying for my A+ exams, actively applying for full-time positions, and making sure I continue going to the gym and having a social life, but though it sounds like nothing but stress, I feel great.

    Just wanted to excitedly share. I'm primarily a lurker on this sub, but I've been reading, absorbing, learning, and I thank all of you for your stories and answers. Wishing the same luck in all of your endeavors (: Here's to all my fellow IT/computer-loving ladies!

    I'll probably be back whenever I get a full-time job (fingers crossed) freaking out about negotiation tactics and what salary/benefits are good, but baby steps.

    submitted by /u/GoingOnEmpty
    [link] [comments]

    Last Day After 13 Years

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 06:04 AM PDT

    It's a strange day. I've worked in education IT for 13 years and today is my last day. After over 3 years of bettering myself, soaking in certs, and going to school, I've scored a position in healthcare as a Network Engineer for a raise of over 50%. I don't claim to be a IT wizard, but knowing how to communicate like a human being and having the relevant experience and education combo goes a long way. Constant self improvement is key, and focusing on your personal and spiritual well being can be just as important as education and soft skills. I've done a lot of work in all those categories.

    It's a weird feeling leaving a comfortable and safe position...

    Just wanted to let people out there who might be working hard to improve their skills that it does work. Opportunities do come along, even in small towns, and if you're prepared when they do it can really work out. Now pray for me, because I'm as nervous as I am excited :) Keep working hard brothers!

    submitted by /u/dowealllivelikethis
    [link] [comments]

    Landed my first job in IT!

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 08:25 AM PDT

    I've (25M) been applying for various desktop support roles for the past month or so after deciding I wanted to give up manual labor and pursue a career that interested me. I have no experience in IT besides being generally good with technology and fixing family computer issues. I've been studying for the A+ while applying which has really helped me learn technical terms, learn my weaknesses, and overall better grasp of technology.

    I had my second tech interview with a small company with an IT department of three (third spot being vacant) on Tuesday. The interview went well and it seemed like a place where I'd be able to really learn and enjoy the coworkers.

    I just got the call and they offered me the position! It pays more than I am currently making and is my first office job in a legitimate career field.

    I have three more interviews set up next week at other promising places, but knowing I finally got my foot in the door takes a load off of my shoulders and I can't wait for the next challenge.

    I just wanted to thank this sub for all of its advice and helping me learn what to ask and expect from interviews. You guys really helped me and for that I am thankful.

    Lastly, the best advice I got was just keep applying. I think I've sent out nearly 80 applications over the span of two months before landing this one.

    submitted by /u/HomelessInKansasCity
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Certification Reputation/Legitimacy (What to Pursue)

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    I've just crossed over my 5-year mark at the MSP I work for and am looking into furthering my skills (and make me more marketable) with Linux. I've done a couple of projects with Ubuntu internally that has given me some great exposure. I've asked some co-workers and friends which Linux Certs I should pursue. Red Hat Enterprise System Administrator (RHESA) seems to be the most legitimate certification while CompTIA Linux+ seems to be perceived as more entry-level. What are your opinions on these certifications or other Linux certs that are used throughout the industry? I know once we get into the Cloud discussion that Azure and AWS have their own distros and training but I'm looking for something that I can take to other organizations.

    Just a little background on me. My strong points are in operations and attention to detail. I've never been huge into programming but can understand how some basic scripting works. Seems like Python is a language that is highly recommended but I'm not sure how to translate this without getting into DevOps. Most of my experience has been in a Windows Server environment with touches in VMware Virtualized environments.

    Thanks all for your help in advance!

    submitted by /u/BloodyShadow23
    [link] [comments]

    No programming

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 09:34 AM PDT

    Hello everyone! I've asked a similar question before I think, but looking where to go from desktop support. Been in desktop support for about 3.5 years

    I have no real desire to learn a programming language, I just..don't. I am interested in learning a little bit of PowerShell and Bash though, but don't want that to be a primary focus (at least not now).

    What sort of upward mobility should I be looking at? Is virtualization still worth pursuing (VMWare/vSphere)?

    I've heard for AWS I won't actually need to know Python etc (although at least PowerShell could be helpful)

    Any thoughts/ideas?

    submitted by /u/denmicent
    [link] [comments]

    Need to know my chances of getting a job in Utah

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 06:44 AM PDT

    So I'm a recent graduate in Computer Information Systems with some experience working IT for a small local store doing simple laptop and internet troubleshooting. I also did an internship (10 weeks) for a large telecommunications company where I did application development.

    I currently live in Louisiana and Im trying to land a help-desk / Desktop Support job in the Greater Salt Lake / Provo area in Utah. I have a friend that lives there and once I land a job I plan to pay my moving expenses.

    What are my realistic chances of getting a job in that area with my experience. I have been (really) job searching since March and Im not getting much in terms of interviews. I need to know if this is a pointless endeavor or if I need to stick to the grind and fight for what I really want to do.

    Thanks,

    An extremely stressed out college graduate

    submitted by /u/Orionsbelt40
    [link] [comments]

    I need help in picking out an undergraduate course

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 03:38 AM PDT

    I'm thinking of going for a job in IT but I don't have a specific field that i really want yet. Right now I'm interested in software engineering, programming, and cyber security.

    I've gone thru a lot of job listings for these and I've seen always seen computer science in the requirements. As in they say "must have a computer science degree or similar", some of them have had the specialized degree (eg: degree in software engineering) in the requirements but so far I've always seen computer science.

    Would it be safe for me to pick computer science? (The way i see it if i go for this I'll be able to go for any of the jobs I've picked, pls correct me if I'm wrong)

    Or should i pick a field and go for a specialized degree (like a software engineering degree)?

    Btw I've read the post in the about page but I'd still like to know whether computer science is a good option, or if i really should go for a specialized one.

    EDIT: Another thing I'd like to know is whether companies would prefer a specialized degree over a computer science degree.

    submitted by /u/Yungboi32
    [link] [comments]

    Post Resume up for comment or just post a link to Linkdn Profile?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 05:28 AM PDT

    I think both of mine are fairly similar.

    submitted by /u/AnimalDC
    [link] [comments]

    When to break free of help desk role?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 01:36 AM PDT

    I get paid very well for doing help desk work (government sector). I have a good, established relationship with my managers. However, I've been offered a job doing IT forensics, still in the government sector, for about 20k more than I make now. It's a smaller team and would lead to me getting some technical experience and learn a lot. The increased work load and importance of the work has me a bit intimidated, but I would hate to get too comfortable where I'm at and just spin my wheels.

    How do I know when the right time to jump ship is? Especially when my current job is enjoyable. Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/YMMilitia5
    [link] [comments]

    19 year old looking to start career in IT

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 05:05 AM PDT

    I'm a 19 year old that lives in London, and I have just left school. I have already applied to multiple IT Technitian apprenticeships but have not got any yet. What is the best way for me to get an IT Technician job in London?

    submitted by /u/1stNameTodd
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for the quickest way to knock out introductory CompTIA certs

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 08:48 AM PDT

    Anything helps, preferably free. Video/written/audio, doesn't matter.

    submitted by /u/networknoob404
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you r/ItCareerQuestions -salary negotiation

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 04:44 AM PDT

    I want to thank you all for valuable advise I learned regarding the negotiating the salary during interview. Basically I received 30% bigger offer than I expected and was aiming for. The main reason was that I kept refusing to talk about how much money I currently earn and how much I want. Every time when I was asked by recruiter or potential manager how much, I replied that " the money is not important for me and I'm more concerned at the moment to find out whether we're a mutual fit. If we're a great fit, then I can be flexible on the numbers with you and you can be flexible on the numbers with me". I have also stated that I am not really looking for a job right now, and I have another offer implied that it really needs to be good offer.

    I am not saying that every time this strategy will work and for everyone. I understand that following factors had influence on my success.

    1. My skills

    2)Company need of Engineers who are skilled in my field.

    3)personal manager preferences

    4) luck

    However I believe the following points are important during salary negotiation

    1)Do not give the number first

    2)Make a note during interview

    3)research

    4)be honest-Tell the true what you know and what you do not know

    5)Apply for a job while you have one

    6)be prepared

    7)Luck.

    edit: spelling etc, English is not my first language.

    submitted by /u/Nobodycares255
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best skills I should be training myself for in the IT career field?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 08:27 AM PDT

    I'm a budding IT Guy with little more than a bachelor's degree, Help desk experience, and no idea what I want to do careerwise in the future.

    Yes, that sounds vague, but as I study for my certifications, I feel like I don't know much about computers themselves. I have a homelab with Windows Server and Ubuntu to fiddle around with, but I'm not sure where to begin to start training to use them, let alone where to go.

    submitted by /u/Surprise_Mechanics
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do to help achieve my future goals?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 08:17 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm entering my 3rd year of college at age 20, with all my basics completed. I'm located in the DFW metroplex. I'm currently pursuing a Bachelor's in Business Administration in Information Systems, but also have an interest in business analytics (mainly due to the job growth). As of current, my only working experience is 3.5 years of fast food (Still working the same job today). It's not a bad job, but I want to start working on stuff that would help more towards to my future. It's a little hard to determine what my specific skills are, I can't really think of anything. Those who know me say I analyze things a lot. I'm decently well-versed in computers and I know how to use google. I have the resources to study any information that is needed.

    I was wondering what could I start doing now to help towards my future?

    submitted by /u/paulbunyan7
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best soft skills that a 16 year old can start to work on if they are looking for a career in IT?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 03:18 AM PDT

    So, as the title says, I'm 16. I'm not really sure which branch of IT I would like to pursue a career in but was wondering if there are any soft skills that are looked for in all areas of IT.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/trial_and_improve
    [link] [comments]

    Healthy Departments

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 06:07 AM PDT

    The last three companies I've worked for had borderline toxic work environments. From sexual harrassment to narcissistic supervisors to poisonous coworkers. I've come to the conclusion that it's probably like that to some degree in most places. Even when they pride themselves in a "great culture", often times that doesn't pass down to the IT department. Maybe it's different based on your geographic location but it's definitely everywhere. I honestly believe that there's more people dealing with some type of mental illness and they don't even know it, which that alone is troublesome. That and my expectations on how to treat your employees and coworkers is far different than others, which that too worries me.

    So my question is, how do you gauge the health of a department (not company) before you jump ship? I felt I asked the right questions but looking back, I think I missed some small signs.

    submitted by /u/Cbk40
    [link] [comments]

    How to get into IT without the "required experience"

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 05:58 AM PDT

    I have been working on changing my career path from a dead end kitchen job to a career in IT. This means I have no prior experience working in an "IT environment". How do I make myself look more attractive to an employer? I've thought of sending a cover letter that explains my want to break into the world of IT, along with the certifications I've been studying and have received. As well as relavent skills. ( Currently hold an A+) Working on security + and few others in the near future. Any hiring managers on here that can give some pointers on what they would look for?

    submitted by /u/ThinkingAsterik
    [link] [comments]

    Should I stay or go

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 05:20 AM PDT

    Hi everybody. Throwaway account for obvious reasons.

    Wanting some advice on my current situation. Started a new job that promised to have lots of learning opportunities. It certainly does. But that's about it.

    I left a compartmentalized IT helpdesk/desktop role for here. I liked the previous job but needed to be able to advance which it just didn't offer.

    This job definitely has a lot of opportunity to learn and work with varied things. Flexible hours etc, good pay and benefits.

    Unfortunately that's where the pros end: when I started my pay was wrong, they eventually fixed it but it took..longer than what I wanted or thought was necessary.

    On top of this, I feel like communication here is lacking overall, and it's disorganized. I'm almost constantly busy. Sometimes it's hard to even catch my breath.

    As far as the people go, I don't feel a big connection with them or not yet. Their ok, don't get me wrong. But they just co workers. I don't know any of them on a personal level, and at the moment, don't really care if I get to. I show up, focus on work, go home.

    Comparing communication and organization was great where I was, and I'm still friends with those old co workers.

    I've only been here a short time (coming up on 3 months). I'm told overall I'm doing well.

    I've wanted to leave, but we are growing the family, so I'm torn between sticking it out for 9 months, getting the experiences then leaving, or leaving now/soon.

    Obviously this is my call, but can anybody offer insight or advice? What they think the best course of action is? My singular focus here is on what will be best for the family. Thanks everyone

    submitted by /u/ITA321
    [link] [comments]

    Hi everyone ! can anyone help me with learning about the industry?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 05:12 AM PDT

    I have joined an ITSM product company as a marketer. This is my first job ever and I do not have any experience with IT before. However, i am interested in learning about the industry, the usual problems that customers face, everyday life of an IT support, analyses of change failures etc..

    I would be grateful if anyone can guide me to resources in the net which explains such.

    presently i am frequenting joetheitguy.com .

    This would help me improve my understanding of my work very much .

    Thank you everyone.

    submitted by /u/Astronaut696
    [link] [comments]

    Asking for a raise in 1 year?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 04:19 AM PDT

    Hello people,
    Let me start with a brief introduction about myself,because the info will be needed for later
    Worked 4 years as a Tier 2 network engineer in a huge SP (switching,loadbalancing,security,routing)
    I wanted to transition to cybersecurity field so on November 2018 i left my previous company and got a job with a Cloud SP as a cybersecurity specialist ( incident response,vuln.asses. etc)

    I was thinking of requesting a raise on my salary when i close 1 year employment in this position.
    Do you think its too early or the timing is correct (based on your personal experience)?
    The reasons i want to ask for a raise is because:

    1) When they hired me i was just a 4 years net. engineer,well now i am 4 years net. engineeer + 1 year cybersec engineer,so increased value,right ?
    2)In this 1 year i managed to obtain 5 certs ,more specifically: SEC+,CYSA+ ,SSCP, CCNP SECURITY,CEH.
    The interesting fact is that i paid for all the training materials,exams fees etc OUT OF MY OWN POCKET.
    Truth be told,my company never pushed me to go for certs or say anything like you need this and that cert to do the job or if you get this and that cert you will get a raise or anything in that context.
    The reason i pursued these certs and spend so much money(around 5k-which btw is 1/4 of my net year salary) and free time is because i want to be competitive in the market and up to date with new technologies,as well as increase my value as a professional.
    3)There is not competition in the area. You need binoculars to spot a decent cybersec professional in the area where i live.Matter of fact we were looking 7 months to find a decent cybersec engineer for an open spot.

    Are my points valid?

    tl;dr cybersec professional trying to ask for a raise after 1 year in new company based on some points.

    Thanks a lot for your input ( sorry for mistakes, english not my native language)

    submitted by /u/Mpazoukas
    [link] [comments]

    Had the Interview and Now I Wait

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 02:43 AM PDT

    Hi all

    Had an interview yesterday for First Line Support I.T. Technician, I currently work in purchasing and planning and this would be working for our larger sister site up the road,

    the interview itself went really well, I'm actually very confident i've got it, the fact i work for the site i'm at now was a massive plus to the point the interview felt like abit of a formality, i'm now waiting until Monday to find out if get it. i did get the following email from the head of IT after the interview

    I'm now art the nervous roller-coaster of thinking yeah i got it and nope your going to get declined.

    "Hi name,

    Firstly just wanted to thanks for coming down for the interview today, and to give some feedback I thought you interviewed and came across really well.

    I have received confirmation (while we were doing yours) of another candidate for Monday morning, which I did think might happen. Therefore cant say much until after that, however we won't be seeing any others after that and so I won't keep you hanging any later than Monday on the outcome.

    Cheers and thanks again"

    submitted by /u/CharlieHarz
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody in the sub from SoCal?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 05:54 PM PDT

    Specifically Riverside and San Diego county? Haven't been so successful finding entry-level IT around the area. Had several phone interviews and in person but still success. A+ certified and taking my N+ this Saturday. Had one employer told me I got the poition but upon waiting for the offer they changed their mind. Been working for a hardware retail store for 1.5 yrs and almost 6 yrs IT experience from my home country. I know that experience will be negated so decided the only reason I get into IT here is to get certs. Hopefully if I pass N+ this will sweeten my resume more. There are times I feel hopeless that I won't get into IT here but I feel that there is one employer who will take a chance on me hopefully. Worst comes to worst I would try my chances on other states. I'm glad I found this sub because I can relate to some people who's struggling to get their foot in to IT.

    submitted by /u/lowievalenzuela
    [link] [comments]

    Should I stay?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 10:50 PM PDT

    Hi. I'm a diploma fresh grad in Information Systems.

    I recently found a job in a small logistics company looking to start-up an IT team. They've told me from the interview that I'd be the only person in the IT team as they are looking to test it out. They told me that I'd be responsible for maintaining the systems that they purchased from other IT companies, analysing user requirements, help in developing applications of their needs, etc. And also help their company with any knowledge of Cloud which I will be studying.

    -Related studies:- I am also studying for a government program that is about the AWS Solutions Architect while I work in this company. The program is of lower difficulty than the actual AWS exam but we're still using and learning about AWS Cloud. It is a government program in my country that benefits both the fresh student graduate and the company whereby if the student (I), complete the entire course of 1 year and pass the exam, the company and I will be both given money. If I quit before 1 year, I'd have to pay the course's fees myself, which is around 2k.

    However, the work that I've done in this company so far is neither related to AWS or IT. I don't know what my role in this company is supposed to be whereby I try to solve simple problems such as errors on the business platforms they use, making google maps for their locations, writing up the IT assets that they own, fixing their printers, and so on.

    One thing that this company did not tell me during the interview is that they have 4 companies (same boss) merged in one company. Which means that the staffs here handles 2 or more companies work at once. Note that their website barely even contained any information, same goes for glassdoor or any job website as they're a very small company.

    I know that I screwed up by taking a job where I can't learn anything from. My cousins who are all very successful at their jobs pretty much convinced me that I would learn a lot from this job as I will be the only person there. I also thought it'd be good for me to learn more about different types of stuff that I can do in a small company.

    My question is if I should just stay and endure for one year? Or just quit.

    TL;DR: Got a IT position in title, but actual work does not involve IT or things related to my AWS studies

    submitted by /u/Nenemu
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel