• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, July 5, 2019

    Simple Questions - July 05, 2019

    Simple Questions - July 05, 2019


    Simple Questions - July 05, 2019

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 05:15 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboards default to 2133 mhz memory speed on their first boot

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 02:24 AM PDT

    Hey guys so basically when I built my PC I bought 3200mhz ram and obviously payed quite a bit extra.

    But until today, almost half a year later I realized it has been running on 2133mhz because motherboards apperantly default to this to have the best booting conditions.

    If you are a new builder or maybe even an experience one what you need to do:

    In your bios search for "XMP" and set it to the other profile which should be there by default (at least it was for me and another pc this way) and then your ram should be on the advertised speed.

    Hope I could help anyone!

    Cheers!

    EDIT:

    So apperantly the default XMP profiles don't work for everyone since it bumps up the voltage for the cpu. So I suggest getting informed and maybe doing it manually.

    submitted by /u/senpai_cx
    [link] [comments]

    The AMD cpu price drops are too good and now I have a dilemma

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:40 AM PDT

    I've been gathering money for my computer for the last 2 years, and the time has finally come. Recently, as we all know, AMD announced its new GPU and CPU lines. Along with this, retailers (or AMD?) dropped the prices of almost all their CPUs.

    This is where my dilemma is.

    I was originally planning on getting at 1660ti and a new ryzen 5 3600. Then, the price drops came, and the fire nation attacked. So now I have another option, getting an rx5700 and a ryzen 5 2600. The ladder is slightly cheaper if the rumors about last minute GPU price drops are true.

    What do you guys recommend?

    TLDR; should I get a ryzen 5 3600 and a 1660ti or a 2600 and an rx5700?

    submitted by /u/Stargor14
    [link] [comments]

    Do you assemble everything, power up, and hope? Or do you verify that parts are working as you add them?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 01:28 PM PDT

    I've tinkered with PCs before, but I've never attempted to build one entirely from scratch. The part that's daunting to me is that every mass produced product has a non-zero failure rate, and I can't figure out how I would know which part is the faulty one when none are verified, and I don't have a test bench or a stock of spare parts to swap in.

    For example... when you push power on, how do you know you're not turning on a defective power supply that will instantly ruin $800 worth of motherboard, cpu and memory?

    submitted by /u/Coises
    [link] [comments]

    A previously asked question had me thinking, what are AMD processors equal to Intel processors?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 02:39 PM PDT

    Will hanging a lego set in my case block airflow and cause problems?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 02:44 PM PDT

    So, my PC case has a lot of open space and I'm thinking of hanging a lego starfighter inside the case with fishing line or something. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this sort of question, wasn't really sure where else to ask.

    Case: CoolerMaster Trooper SE Lego Set: Obi-Wan's Jedi Interceptor

    submitted by /u/LivingHereNow
    [link] [comments]

    Build Complete I present the Purple Machine

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:03 AM PDT

    Just wanted to thanks to everyone who helped me in the past few months on making this possible. I had so much fun building it and can't wait to do another.
    PcPartPicker link in imgur title.https://imgur.com/a/jHPQ9pu

    EDIT:
    Thanks to u/brandinni 's glorious name suggestion This build is not called "Giant Purple PC Eater"

    submitted by /u/PartyRooster
    [link] [comments]

    Will my I7-4770k bottleneck a RTX 2070 super significantly?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 03:42 PM PDT

    I am upgrading my 1070 to a 2070 super, and am aiming to go for ultra 60hz/FPS 1440p and am wondering if my CPU will give any serious bottlenecking? Thanks in advance.

    Again, not trying to do anything above 60hz.

    submitted by /u/Zenith_Reddit
    [link] [comments]

    Good deal gone bad - Vega 56 $230

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 09:01 AM PDT

    I had an opportunity to pick up a 3-fan Red Dragon Vega 56 for $230 open box at Microcenter. Drove 35 minutes, paid $30 for the 2 year replacement fee and checked for physical damages in store - nothing, all fine.

     

    Got home, inserted the card in place of my older R9 380 that has served my very well for the past 4 years. Screen wouldn't turn on, and after some testing, it was my mouse in the top of the Mouse/Keyboard USB section on the mobo IO. With the mouse plugged in, screezen froze. I had to move it down to the regular USB slot on the IO. First issue.

     

    Booted to desktop, ran GPU Z, and it is showing Zeros for clock speed. I thought, oh it must be the driver. Used DDU in safemode to clean my old drive and install new. I got the dreaded "AMD Driver is not installed error". After half day of tinkering and looking up google, I finally got it to install it on my W10. Ran furmark - BOOM, after 30 seconds of running, tearing lines and artifacts everywhere and then froze up.

     

    I tried to flash to original Radeon Bios, first time trying to tinker with GPU bios at all. I thought maybe the original owner tinkered with bios for mining. Got the Flash program and the bios from Techpowerup. Kept getting subID do not match error and couldn't flash. So I gave up, after having wasted half a day of my July 4th holiday.

     

    It is so unfortunate...I was able to pick this up $285 out the door with 2 yr replacement that will allow me a refund later for $285-$30 = $255 that can be used towards another upgrade. Oh well, I guess back to my trusty 380 and the waiting game starts all over again till Black Friday '19.

    submitted by /u/kc0716
    [link] [comments]

    Question about AM4 motherboards for Ryzen 3k series

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 08:08 AM PDT

    I've been an Intel hardware user for life. I've always trusted Intel more which turned me into a fanboy, no clue why, but now I'm starting to open my mind to the new Ryzen series simply because they are benchmarking very well, and are much cheaper than the comparable Intel hardware.

    The problem I have is my trust for AMD hardware, more specifically the motherboards. In my years of building Intel PCs, I've had zero issues picking a highly rated/vouched for motherboard that is out of the box compatible with the Intel CPU I picked for it.

    I've been reading about the Ryzen 3k releases and have been trying to find motherboards to fit. The issue is, every motherboard that I see people recommend has terrible reviews with numerous issues when I start looking into it, and it seems to be more apparent than when I used to look for Intel chipset motherboards. I legitimately cannot find a motherboard that I would feel comfortable purchasing for the 3700x. I feel helpless. The more motherboards I find, the less confident I get.

    The biggest thing I've been seeing is the requirement to reflash your bios to support the new Ryzen 3k series, which sounds like a legitimate hassle and a red flag to me, I do not want to have to do this just to use the new CPU.

    Have I really lost my touch? Will a new batch of x470/B450 be released with native support for Ryzen 3k?

    Any more recommendations for full-atx am4 motherboards that will support Ryzen 3k?

    I appreciate any responses.

    Edit: Extra question - I've seen several charts about the x470 chipset with "Max supported RAM speed - 2933" does this literally mean that if I purchase 3200 RAM, it will only go to 2933?

    submitted by /u/SlimJohnson
    [link] [comments]

    If not now, WHEN?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 01:40 PM PDT

    I've been PC gaming as long as I can remember, part prices have fluctuated all the way to hell and back and now we are here. Is right now, specifically this summer, the best time to upgrade your gaming PC? What do you guys think, have you already pulled the trigger? Are you selling your parts in prep for Zen2? When I originally built my PC I remember paying like $200 for a 250gb crucial SSD, prices are ridiculously low for everything now, (except RTX) but I still believe if you don't upgrade or build your first PC this summer with new or used parts. You going to be paying a steeper price 2-3 years from now.

    submitted by /u/lexxlr8
    [link] [comments]

    Weird GTX 1050 TI

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:23 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I was just looking for a GTX card to buy on a local website and I found this GTX 1050 TI with the brand name "Ninja". Apparently it's from a company based in Hong Kong called Sinotex. The GPU has an HDMI port, classic VGA port and the other VGA lookalike port I forgotten what it's called. So I want to know if anyone know anything about this brand and it is common for a GTX 1050 TI to have a classic VGA port ?... Help appreciated.

    submitted by /u/reyano10
    [link] [comments]

    ASUS Prime x370-Pro vs. MSI B450 Pro carbon

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 01:51 PM PDT

    Hey guys, so I was able to buy the ASUS Prime X370-Pro for $20 brand new, with latest BIOS (supports Zen 2 now). Reviews don't look that good however, compared to MSI B450 Pro Carbon (which can be $110 or $90 depending on Microcenter giving $50 off bundle or $30 off bundle).

    Is MSI B450 Pro Carbon worth the extra $70 or $90? If it is then I will return X370-Pro and buy the MSI Pro Carbon. For reference, I will be buying 3600x on Sunday.

    submitted by /u/deskwebs
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone please respond? Please? I don't mean to be a whiny asshole, but I need some help with my first build and no matter how many times I've posted this it seems no one will reply.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 03:02 PM PDT

    My build is linked here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YqCWxG

    I'm sorry that this post is basically a book lol, but I'd really appreciate if you could bear with me and tell me your thoughts.

    Things to note: I'm planning on using this system for gaming and light internet tasks (email, school work, etc.)

    I've adjusted all prices so that they're what I'm actually paying.

    I've put in a ryzen 2700 instead of a 3600 because the 3600 didn't seem to be listed on pcpartpicker yet, but know that I plan to buy a 3600 on the seventh instead of a 2700.

    The motherboard price is including the $30 bundle discount from Microcenter.

    I've already bought the RAM, but am second guessing that decision and have the option to return it, more on that below.

    Concerns: Will a B450 motherboard be enough to handle a ryzen 3600? Ik it doesn't come with PCIE 4, but the guys at microcenter were saying that it would be a bottleneck in multicore performance and may not handle the voltage of the new system as well. They said similar things about the X470, but they recommended that over the B450 if they had to pick one. They said that overall it was a bad idea to use one of the older mobos with the new CPUs, and that I should just buy an X570 or a B550 when it comes out (but I don't want to wait much longer, and the new mobos are looking to be pretty expensive).

    Is DDR4 3000mhz timings 16-20-20 going to be bad for the Ryzen 3600? Ik that ryzen likes fast ram, and that AMD said the Price/performance sweet spot was going to be 3600/3733. Is it worth returning the ram and buying a 3600 kit? What performance impact will it have?

    What kind of PSU do I need? Pcpartpicker said that the estimated wattage was 339 volts. Will anything above that with an 80+ Bronze rating do?

    Is my monitor ok? I see several other monitors around this price point that are 1080p 144hz, like this one from Sceptre: Sceptre 24" Curved 144Hz Gaming LED Monitor Edge-Less AMD FreeSync DisplayPort HDMI, Metal Black 2019 (C248B-144RN) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTMCNLX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cF6hDbY2WQB59 Or this one from Dell: Dell 24 Inch Gaming Monitor, 1ms response time, 144Hz AMD FreeSync https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MB7WT39/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZH6hDbXACSV7K

    If you're reading this, you've made it to the end of my probably too long post lmao. Thanks a lot, and I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me.

    submitted by /u/UnironicallyEpic
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 2080 ti Super rumors?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:54 AM PDT

    I'm building a new PC and will probably pay up for an RTX 2080 ti (probably MSI gaming x trio) I'm scared I will pay over 1k and then in a month or two get an announcement that a 10-15% better card is out at the same price.

    How much do we know about the rumors?

    I guess the reason that they named the new cards 'Super' and not 'ti' as in the past is that they intend to also bring a new version of the 2080 ti, no?

    submitted by /u/Voitheiaplx
    [link] [comments]

    Msi vs asus

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 02:37 PM PDT

    Hey guys

    Im looking at 2 options for a motherboard The msi b450 tomahawk or the asus strix b450-f gaming motherboard

    Which one would you recommend and why? Im running a amd ryzen 5 2600x btw Thanks

    submitted by /u/BigDaddyMacs
    [link] [comments]

    Enabling XMP causes pc to double boot

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 02:34 PM PDT

    Troubleshooting Help:

    What is your parts list? Consider formatting your parts list.

    PCPartPicker Part List

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $196.79 @ OutletPC
    CPU Cooler Thermaltake - Contac Silent 12 74.33 CFM CPU Cooler $24.12 @ OutletPC
    Motherboard ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $114.86 @ Amazon
    Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $72.95 @ Amazon
    Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $77.99 @ Amazon
    Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
    Video Card Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 4 GB NITRO+ Video Card $199.00 @ Amazon
    Case NZXT - S340 ATX Mid Tower Case -
    Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $82.99 @ Amazon
    Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $139.89 @ OutletPC
    Monitor Samsung - LS22E20KBSV/GO 21.5" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor -
    Monitor Acer - XF240H 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $199.99 @ B&H
    Keyboard Cooler Master - Storm Quickfire TK Mechanical Keyboard Wired Standard Keyboard -
    Mouse Logitech - G203 Prodigy Wired Optical Mouse $26.49 @ Amazon
    Headphones Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset $84.00 @ Amazon
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $1295.96
    Mail-in rebates -$17.00
    Total $1278.96
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-05 17:35 EDT-0400

    Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

    Currently running my RAM at 2666 MHz since when I enable XMP Profile it causes the pc to double boot but weirdly enough the RAM frecuency stays at 3000MHz after double booting. Was wondering if there's a fix to this and if it's even worth running my RAM at 3000MHz instead of 2666MHz on an Intel platform.

    List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

    Nothing

    Post relevant photos of build/parts here.

    No photos

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    No additional info

    submitted by /u/s4muz
    [link] [comments]

    2080 Ti: How many years do you think it will be the absolute top dog?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:45 PM PDT

    Helped my fiance build her first real PC yesterday; was quite pleased with how it turned out!

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 10:38 AM PDT

    She did really well! I pretty much just told her what to do and how to do it; she did a lot of the actual work. The only things that I did myself were the CPU cooler (because too much can go wrong) and the cable management (because that's just experience, really).

    This is the second Fractal case I've used, and I cannot recommend them highly enough if you really care about clean, efficient cable routing and management. I think I'm a Fractal fan for life now.

    Side rant: it's extremely annoying that a single RGB standard does not exist. The mobo, CPU cooler, and RAM are all RGB to some extent, and no software I used worked with all three pieces.

    Pictures for those interested

    PCPartPicker

    submitted by /u/Musical_Muze
    [link] [comments]

    "Future proofing" vs. "upgrading as you go"

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 09:45 PM PDT

    Should I build an overkill PC that is more "future proof" or get what's good enough and upgrade as I go, what has more value in the end?

    Planning on 1080p at 75hz, nothing fancy.

    submitted by /u/siphur
    [link] [comments]

    How do yall handle craigslist/marketplace meetups?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:22 PM PDT

    I found someone with a 1080 for 350$ and Im thinking about jumping on it, but my problem is how do I check it.. I asked if he could show that it worked properly and he said he could bring it to my place..but thats just really sketchy too me. He also had other pc parts listed as well. Anyway I was wondering how yall handle it?

    submitted by /u/sleazedisease
    [link] [comments]

    [Build ready] All around PC with Ryzen 7

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 08:06 AM PDT

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Just general all around computing. A bit of gaming (nothing too intense), some photo and video editing, some statistical and data mining, some programming, etc.

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    Nothing in particular.

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    $1500

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    USA

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $264.99 @ B&H
    CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler $89.90 @ Amazon
    Motherboard Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4 Motherboard $274.30 @ Amazon
    Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $159.99 @ Amazon
    Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $159.99 Amazon
    Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $152.89 @ OutletPC
    Video Card MSI - Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card $149.99 @ Newegg
    Case Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
    Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $140.04 @ OutletPC
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $1482.08
    Mail-in rebates -$40.00
    Total $1442.08
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-05 11:01 EDT-0400

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    I was debating about a threadripper CPU, but decided to go with Ryzen 7 because of it's upgrade potential to the 3000 series (if I want). This also allows me to go higher quality with the other parts and stay within budget.

    Any issue with compatibility, or is anything over- or underkill

    Thanks!

    EDIT: Clearly the 64 gb ram is overkill.

    submitted by /u/Blnd2Spll
    [link] [comments]

    advice on first pc build? :)

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:16 PM PDT

    I recently have been looking into building a PC. I really want to understand computers better, but I also would really like to be able to create music on my computer. I have a Focusrite MIDI, which I plug my microphone, guitars, and drumset into. I have a seaboard block as well. Finally, I enjoy playing the Sims 3 & 4, and some other games like Minecraft. I have Steam but I don't have any crazy games. I made this list of parts, and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on parts that I should get based on how I would use my PC. Thanks soooo much!! (Also sorry if the format for the list is weird!)

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JrpvTB)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jLF48d/amd-ryzen-5-2600-34ghz-6-core-processor-yd2600bbafbox) | $139.99 @ Amazon

    **CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmtCmG/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $34.89 @ OutletPC

    **Motherboard** | [Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TWzkcf/gigabyte-x470-aorus-ultra-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-aorus-ultra-gaming) | $126.95 @ Amazon

    **Memory** | [G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FNprxr/gskill-aegis-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-f43000c16d16gisb) | $59.99 @ Newegg

    **Storage** | [Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sNc48d/samsung-860-evo-250gb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e250bam) | $56.99 @ Amazon

    **Storage** | [Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MwW9TW/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex) | $43.59 @ OutletPC

    **Video Card** | [PowerColor - Radeon RX 570 4 GB RED DRAGON Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JQQRsY/powercolor-radeon-rx-570-41gb-red-dragon-video-card-axrx-570-4gb-red-dragon) | $119.99 @ Newegg

    **Power Supply** | [Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na) | $59.99 @ Corsair

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | Total (before mail-in rebates) | $652.38

    | Mail-in rebates | -$10.00

    | **Total** | **$642.38**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2019-07-05 19:09 EDT-0400 |

    submitted by /u/lisjesse
    [link] [comments]

    DIY LED light help

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:05 PM PDT

    Im in the process of doing a Initial D AE86 theamed build inside of a black and white nzxt h500 case. Im still gathering the parts as we speak but should have them all withing the next two weeks. Now hear comes the question. Im geting a AE86 1:28 scale model to put inside the case. As I was thinking about it, I though it would be cool to add LEDs to the model to light up both head and tail lights as well as a cab light on the model. I not looking for help fitting LEDs to the model but i do need help figuring out how to go about connecting it to the computer to work when the pc is powered on.

    If it helps the motherboard im using is ASUS B450M-A AMD Ryzen 2 Micro ATX.

    submitted by /u/TinyTim679
    [link] [comments]

    As a life long Intel guy and the AMD announce very soon, how satisfied are you all that switched to the AMD 2000 series from Intel for gaming? Any regrets?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 06:39 AM PDT

    Currently running an i5 6600k OCd to 4.5 and looking for a full rebuild minus my 1080, PSU, and RAM if the Zen2 series is living up to the hype and leaks.

    Would love to hear your thoughts on your experiences with the switch.

    Here are my (relative) specs:

    • 27" 1440p Dell GSync display
    • GTX 1080
    • Intel i5 6600k OC'd to 4.5
    • Currently can't watch twitch/youtube/netflix if playing a intensive game such as Destiny 2, PoE, etc.

    Edit for clarification- If i go to AMD i will definitely be waiting and getting Zen2 hopefully.

    submitted by /u/why_poop_roid
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel