• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, June 24, 2021

    Linux Why do people like XFCE?

    Linux Why do people like XFCE?


    Why do people like XFCE?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 11:56 AM PDT

    What is it about XFCE that people like so much? It looks kind of old and not very esthetically pleasing. Is it a really stable desktop environment?

    submitted by /u/otherredditperson
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to push a process to swap on purpose?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 04:19 AM PDT

    say im currently using a program (eg vscode or firefox) and its taking up too much memory but I don't want to close them out

    submitted by /u/dominic_l
    [link] [comments]

    Cfdisk not showing my primary drive (SATA SSD /dev/sdb)

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 03:29 AM PDT

    [Debian 10 Gnome] all wifi networks show signal strength as none and will not connect

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 01:23 PM PDT

    PCI wifi card

    Used to work before but I have been using ethernet for a while and now that I am not anymore I'm not sure when something happened that prevented wifi from working at all

    screenshot from the wifi settings

    submitted by /u/NotSamar
    [link] [comments]

    Virtual Displays on Single Monitor

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 11:35 AM PDT

    Is there a way to create virtual displays and display them all on the same monitor? Essentially, having multiple monitors on one display through software.

    submitted by /u/Voss1167
    [link] [comments]

    What is the default video manager of Manjaro XFCE? Is it lightDM? How can I know what video manager is installed in any system?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 10:50 AM PDT

    iso file name: manjaro-xfce-21.0.7-210614-linux510

    submitted by /u/Acvale7
    [link] [comments]

    Please help - I deleted my Arch partition

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 09:27 AM PDT

    I have a laptop with 512 gb storage on an SSD. I had Windows 10 running on a 256gb partition, and arch Linux on the rest. From Windows i deleted the Arch Linux Partition because I wanted to install Linux mint and Kali Linux. I made a 32gb partition for Kali, and booted up the image from an USB, but midway aborted the Installation through the GUI. When I booted up my laptop this came up:

    Error: unknown filesystem. Entering rescue mode ... Grub rescue>

    When i say "ls" nine different partitions come up, I've tried listing every single one of them, but all of them have unknown filesystems. What should I do to boot into windows?

    submitted by /u/itarnyagin
    [link] [comments]

    what linux distro best suits me?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 01:10 PM PDT

    i have a laptop with 128gb storage with 4gb of ram, AMD athlon 3050u with radeon graphics and my wifi driver Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter my wifi wouden't work on ubuntu,linux mint the last time I tried installing those distros

    i wil just do some basic web browsing and i have online school in zoom i don't really game that mutch because of online school but i do play some cs;go,amoung us and minecraft

    submitted by /u/Practical-Bluejay-76
    [link] [comments]

    Help editing keyboard layout/creating a custom one

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 08:56 AM PDT

    Hi so I'm using Linux Mint, I live in the UK but have a physical ANSI keyboard and since i have been typing on Dvorak on windows for years i have gotten used to the US punctuation layout (Dvorak US is the only option on windows 10). My problem is two things;

    1. i need to get a pound symbol on my keyboard since I'm in the UK i need to refer to our currency a lot.
    2. whenever i preview a layout in Linux there's always an unusable key to the right of the shift key, since I'm on an ANSI layout this key isn't there.

    I can't use the "Dvorak, intl., with dead keys" because the ' and " require me to press right alt to use which is annoying. i can't use "Dvorak, intl." because there is no pound sign. i can't use UK Dvorak because the punctuation is very different to what I'm used to and it's impossible for me to use the \ and | key.

    In windows this wasn't an issue because I could use the keyboard layout creator tool to edit a US Dvorak layout to add the stuff I needed, but in Linux I'm not sure how to do this. Thanks for the help

    submitted by /u/Turbulent_Basil4934
    [link] [comments]

    How to Use strace to Monitor Linux System Calls - How To Panda

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 11:52 AM PDT

    I really screwed up my window managers

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 11:31 AM PDT

    I tried to install bspwm, which I did, I didn't like it, so I tried to change WMs with GDM, on the login screen. It didn't work, every option used bspwm, so me being me, I rm -rf-ed the .config folders, which wasn't a great idea, and left me without a window manager i seem to able to use. When I boot into ubuntu (20.04 LTS with GNOME), I'm greeted by a friendly black screenn that I can't really do anything about.

    submitted by /u/donartqorrolli
    [link] [comments]

    Partition Plan for Ubuntu 20.2

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 11:18 AM PDT

    Hello Guys,
    I decided to move from windows to Linux and chosen Ubuntu as my distro since it has a better community and support. I am currently in my grad and always used Windows as my main machine. But I took this decision to continue with Linux as I am installing more and more sw daily and windows are just making my life painful. I tried WSL, but it is not at all what it claims to be. In fact, it messed up my configurations.
    This will be my daily machine from general viewing to work-related.

    In windows-10, I have 2 drives (C-491GB, D-435GB, rest-OS)

    Current Laptop Configuration:

    1. RAM - 16GB
    2. HDD - 1TB
    3. Nvidia Geforce 970m - 3GB
    4. ASUS ROG GL502VT - Manufacturer.

    Purpose:

    1. Work mostly software development & cloud
    2. A lot of media, like 300+GB worth of media, is there.

    Can you guys suggest a partition plan for fresh clean Installation?

    submitted by /u/rahul_kodumuru
    [link] [comments]

    Really simple script

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 02:31 AM PDT

    How do I make my script not need to have sudo at the front.

    I get this error bash: /usr/bin/weather2: Permission denied.

    And these are the properties:

    Owner: root

    Access Read and write

    Group: root

    Access Read and write

    Access Read and write

    Execute: Allow executing file as program is turned on.

    submitted by /u/Yomamahellagay
    [link] [comments]

    games randomly crashing (RX580) [Kubuntu 20.04]

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 09:12 AM PDT

    in games i get no video output randomly and there is no way to get it back but audio keeps playing. i can replicate this in a couple games/applications (mainly tf2 when sniper scoped and in superposition benchmark) (title is wrong its a RX590 8GB) (its not an overheating issue i can guarantee) i can give more details if needed

    submitted by /u/realwatmay1
    [link] [comments]

    Rsync automation and multiboot Questions

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 09:07 AM PDT

    I had a random thought trying to learn a little about rsync, right now I don't really know anything except it works well as the backend for timeshift. (I think)

    I have a Multi boot machine with, Linux Mint, Arch, Win 10, OC hack catalina. Each OS has its own SSD

    and:

    1TB SSD exfat for data used between systems

    3TB HDD partitioned for backing up everything.

    Is it possible/reasonable to setup an automated backup script(term?) that can automatically backup everything on all systems and drives to the 3TB partitioned HDD.

    This is miles "over my head" right now but I am trying to learn, only been on linux for 5-6 months coming from mac/hackintoshing.

    It would be awesome if everything just backed itself up even if it is not the booted system I am working on at that moment.

    submitted by /u/Im-Mostly-Confused
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know how do i install lubuntu?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 08:06 AM PDT

    I'm trying to install lubuntu on my cousin laptop, but this error happen, does anyone know how to solve this?

    https://i.imgur.com/0BfeuCA.jpg

    submitted by /u/Electrical-Click-119
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally messed up a manjaro dual boot, need advice!

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 07:18 AM PDT

    I wanted to get more familiar with linux, so I installed Manjaro (KDE Plasma 21.0.7) as a dual boot alongside my Win10 installation. I shrunk the windows partition, and in the manjaro installer created the EFI, swap, and root partition, and everything worked great!

    Then, I messed something up in the installation trying to switch desktops, and instead of spending hours fixing it I figured 'I only installed this an hour ago, I'll just reinstall from media and start over'

    I deleted the manjaro partitions, redid everything the same way I did before, and now I can't boot into manjaro at all. All of my boot options eventually just fall back to the windows boot manager, and I'm not sure what I did wrong.

    I'm not a complete linux noob, but I'm close - any idea what I should do here?

    submitted by /u/Sciman1011
    [link] [comments]

    Should I be as worried of installing a downloaded .deb file from the project website as adding a PPA? Eternal confusion about APT, .DEB and PPAs continues.

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 06:57 AM PDT

    What's the difference between disable/stop/suspend in baloo?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 06:52 AM PDT

    I guess "disable" completely disable it but after restart the session. "Stop", disables it immediately but it's temporary for this session and what about suspend? Am I right?

    submitted by /u/linuxman2
    [link] [comments]

    Messed up with arch installation and now booting into ubuntu with grub loads arch

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 01:42 AM PDT

    I was installing arch(archcraft actually) alongside my ubuntu and obviously i messed up In my ubuntu these were mounted on different partition: home, root, swap, boot and boot/efi And when i was installing archcraft i mounted boot on the same partition of Ubuntu boot and mounted boot/efi on the same boot/efi of ubuntu and a different partition for root, didn't format anything other than the one for root

    Now in my uefi system settings when i select ubuntu and archcraft, they both open the grub of the archcraft I did a update-grub with os-prober on archcraft but now in grub it doesn't matter if i select ubuntu or archcraft, they both boot arch craft

    Contents of grub.cfg:

    For archcraft:

    ' menuentry 'archcraft' -- class archcraft --class gnu-linux -- class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-7e8d4051-81a0-4265-a24d-5b3f71d27bf2' {

    load_video set gfxpayload=keep insmod gzio insmod part_gpt insmod ext2 search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 9d83cb68-e5c6-426f-a311-f94b88cd282e linux /vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=7e8d4051-81a0-4265-a24d-5b3f71d27bf2 rw quiet splash vt.global_cursor_default=0 loglevel=2 rd.systemd.show_status=false rd.udev.log-priority=3 sysreq_always_enabled=1 

    initrd /initramfs-linux.img '

    And the grub.cfg ubuntu entry is literely the same( but its $menuentry_id_option is different:('osprober-gnulinux-simple-42465337-b3c7-44ea-843c-6d25b9f3ce8c')

    Also the sub menus for ubuntu(advances options) in grub.cfg are named arch craft - not ubuntu)

    What should i do?

    submitted by /u/dark_galaxy20
    [link] [comments]

    Why is make not working? I am having difficulty getting anything to build at all.

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 05:22 AM PDT

    Intel-ucode.img not found

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 04:52 AM PDT

    I'm trying to install ArchLinux for the first time in a VM. I'm following the ArchWiki's installation guide and I did everything up, step-by-step, to the boot loader part. I chose systemd-boot and downloaded the Intel's micronode, but apparently systemd can't find it EVEN WHEN IT'S EXATLY FILE IS ON THE BOOT DIRECTORY! If I try to reboot, it says this:

    Failed to open file: /boot/intel-ucode.img

    Failed to execute Arch Linux (/vmlinuz-linux-lts): Not Found

    What is wrong? Do I not know how to read?

    Extra info:

    I'm using Hyper-v; the /boot partiton is in FAT32 and the / partition is in btrfs; I'm trying to install linux-lts kernel, don't judge me

    https://preview.redd.it/k4v02m8l97771.png?width=856&format=png&auto=webp&s=827964c3c4caba0b9471b02cd41ee8d6a9022561

    submitted by /u/Thwy__
    [link] [comments]

    When I try to update using software update its throw no internet connection.

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 03:10 AM PDT

    Not sure what this error message means - Ubuntu 21

    Posted: 23 Jun 2021 08:56 PM PDT

    hardware - Operating System: Ubuntu 21.04 Kernel: Linux 5.11.0-22-generic Architecture: x86-64 

    Error Message I am getting

    sudo apt install rocm-dkms

    [sudo] password for snowmagic:

    Reading package lists...

    Done Building dependency tree...

    Done Reading state information...

    Done Some packages could not be installed.

    This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help resolve the situation:

    The following packages have unmet dependencies:

    rocm-gdb : Depends: libpython3.8 but it is not installable E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

    The website is recommending me Ubuntu LTS insetad of Ubuntu 21

    submitted by /u/bikitizd0g6
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel